PDA

View Full Version : Help with importing an older motorcycle to Canada

wildkarrde
09-02-2014, 03:57 PM
I was originally going to use a broker for this, but they were going to charge me $600 which seems a bit steep. In doing research on how to do it myself, I came across this simple enough step by step guide - http://www.thethinkbox.ca/2012/01/13/step-by-step-how-to-import-a-motorcycle-from-the-usa-into-canada/

Right now I'm stuck on getting the recall clearance letter. I called Honda Canada and they told me I would need to Call Honda US to provide that information. I called Honda US and the automated message said "Recall clearance letters are only provided to US residents relocating to other countries exporting for personal use. Not provided for grey market sales."

So how am I supposed to get this clearance letter? The other option is to pull it from http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls but since the bike is from the 70's it doesn't have a 17 digit vin (it has a 13 digit) which spits out errors everytime.

rage2
09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
You don't need a recall letter for something older than 15 years old. You ride it up to the border, park, go in the office, fill out some forms, pay your GST/duty and you're on your way.

The link is for importing bikes newer than 15 years, which means you need all that crap to satisfy the RIV program. Older than 15 years, it's exempt. No recall letters, no RIV fees, none of that crap.

If you ship it up, you'll need a broker (typically provided by the shipping company) to deal with the duty/GST just like if you're shipping something through FedEx/UPS.

Or if you want to go cheap ship it up to Montana, get a friend to drive you down, then pick it up and cross the border yourself.

wildkarrde
09-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'm getting it dropped off at the border, then I'm going to drive a truck down to MT to pick it up.

I don't need to do anything beforehand then? I'm reading I need to fax the title to the border 72 hours before I pick it up as well, is that not the case since it's 15 years old?

The last thing I want to do is get there and forget something and have to drive all the way back. :banghead:

wildkarrde
09-02-2014, 04:26 PM
It seems like the broker (livingston) is trying to fuck me then, no?

This is what they said.

I will also need copies of the bill of sale and title to get the 72 hours notice to US customs started. AES information will also need to be sent to US customs which our US division can handle and their phone number is 716-696-5540 and just let them know you need to file AES for a vehicle.

firebane
09-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Don't forget you'll need a OOP inspection here too.

wildkarrde
09-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Don't forget you'll need a OOP inspection here too.

That should be easy enough. Any recommendations for a small shop to do it? I'm assuming blackfoot is going to have the usual waiting list of a couple weeks.

edit: booked in with Honda Powerhouse for $199

adamc
09-03-2014, 08:42 AM
I think oms does it for around $100

rage2
09-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by wildkarrde
Yeah, I'm getting it dropped off at the border, then I'm going to drive a truck down to MT to pick it up.

I don't need to do anything beforehand then? I'm reading I need to fax the title to the border 72 hours before I pick it up as well, is that not the case since it's 15 years old?

The last thing I want to do is get there and forget something and have to drive all the way back. :banghead:

Originally posted by wildkarrde
It seems like the broker (livingston) is trying to fuck me then, no?

This is what they said.
Right, forgot about that. You have to do an export at the US customs side. This is covered in the various import threads here.