PDA

View Full Version : Another Wal-Mart LPO beat down on camera.

16hypen3sp
09-02-2014, 07:13 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/1539951/watch-violent-takedown-of-alleged-wal-mart-shoplifter-police-investigate/

dimi
09-02-2014, 07:18 PM
They train UFC

btimbit
09-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Meh, nothing to see here. Idiot steals, pulls a knife when confronted, gets shit kicked for it. Looks about right to me. Those LPOs sure suck at taking someone down though.

sr20s14zenki
09-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Meh, nothing to see here. Idiot steals, pulls a knife when confronted, gets shit kicked for it. Looks about right to me. Those LPOs sure suck at taking someone down though.

Guy is probably on crack and has super human strength LOL

http://crossfitaliquid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Tyrone1.jpg

Dont really think those guys have that kind of authority to hand out a beating do they?

btimbit
09-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UYwRWgiakcw/Ss6aiCx47KI/AAAAAAAAAC0/AH74v-TGOFE/s1600-h/Tyrone1.jpg

Dont really think those guys have that kind of authority to hand out a beating do they?

If someone tries fighting them or resists in a violent manner like in the video they do. That's nothing compared to what cops will do to to a crackhead shoplifter, I saw one go full WWF and crank one with a folding chair. Guy deserved it, but those ex-British cops are nuts.

You'll see some good shit at the Forest Lawn co-op from time to time:rofl:

Ven
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Assuming that what happened was a robbery, physical confrontation, and then confrontation with a knife; I think those LPO's did fine. Once you're in it with a guy with a knife you gotta see it through and not worry about hurting his feelings or teeth. A thief got tuned up, that's the risk of that game.

Rewatched, the guy in red got stabbed in the ribs with that xacto knife. Fortunately the blade was in.

g-m
09-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

http://crossfitaliquid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Tyrone1.jpg

Dont really think those guys have that kind of authority to hand out a beating do they? maybe his weed was laced with PCP?

Stuart
09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
In that video the first punch came from one of the LPO's, then the guy reaches for his knife. Seems like he was responding to an assault from what appear to be random people. Having said that there may be something before the video started rolling that would change my opinion.

Bottom line, if two guys can't get him in handcuffs without punching him in the head maybe they need to find another line of work. Do they get absolutely no training in the more successful techniques?

Hallowed_point
09-02-2014, 09:30 PM
I don't have a problem with how the unarmed security guards dealt with the situation. If someone had tried to stab me back in my mall cop days you'd better bet they'd be eating pavement.

Shlade
09-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Stuart

Bottom line, if two guys can't get him in handcuffs without punching him in the head maybe they need to find another line of work. Do they get absolutely no training in the more successful techniques?

You sound like you've never had to handcuff a 100% resistive subject...

To elaborate on that a little bit. You really have no idea how hard it can be to physically detain somebody and place them in handcuffs when you're trying to do everything by the book and make it look good and "clean" for the public.

But in this case these guys suck. Instead of proper methods such as pressure holds/certain distraction techniques these guys went street fighter on the subject.

Pretty piss poor on their end IMO

npham
09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Those guys must really love being a LPO or make some good money to get into fights for someone shop lifting less than $5000. I'm sure they could have cornered him long enough for the cops to arrive if someone had enough time to get their phone out, and record the latter half of the fight. Hard to say if that guy deserved it before the knife came out, but he earned the shit kicking after he stabbed the guy a few times.

Stuart
09-02-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm not complaining about slamming him to the ground, but rather punching him in the head early in the video, and then using "odd" tactics to subdue him. (one guy having him in a headlock and the other grabbing at a single arm) This included leaving his one arm completely free to access his pocket to retrieve his weapon. They are pretty lucky he only had a small knife and not something that could do real damage, could you picture what a 6" blade or a gun would have done? Could you picture a LEO using the same techniques? Probably not, as they are trained to know what would be effective and what may leave you in a vulnerable position.

I am also not saying the shoplifter was in the right, he most definitely was in the wrong.

95EagleAWD
09-02-2014, 09:52 PM

How else are they supposed to? Just curious.

Kijho
09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Honestly he pulled a (cardboard) knife out - I don't blame either for reacting how they did especially considering he was fighting back ... what would have happened if they just gave up because "they sucked" and accepted defeat? Let him go? At least they tried their best. Can't side I'd be able to handle that kinda sh*t...

Stuart
09-02-2014, 10:03 PM
If the guy in the black shirt did not give up on getting his right arm they would have been in a very strong position to control him, while at the same time taking away his ability to use any weapons. But instead he let go and went for the headlock, and left the shoplifters right arm completely free. He was in a good position to gain control of the right arm right until he went for the headlock. Do you honestly think that a LEO would do that?

It looked like the guy in the red shirt did his best to get hold of the right arm once he saw that it was free, but that was not before a few stabs took place.

spikerS

I will let you pick any 2 guys you like, and lets see how easy they can get me in cuffs without resorting to painful stimuli to convince me to give in.

I guarantee I could probably roll with it for a good long while before they can restrain me.

Having said that, the kick and elbows to the head are way over the top IMO. However, the airplane ride into the pavement was completely awesome.

rx7boi
I couldn't handle that shit.

I can barely beat my girlfriend at wrestling in the bed :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe she is just freakishly strong :love:

Stuart
09-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I will let you pick any 2 guys you like, and lets see how easy they can get me in cuffs without resorting to painful stimuli to convince me to give in.

I guarantee I could probably roll with it for a good long while before they can restrain me.

Having said that, the kick and elbows to the head are way over the top IMO. However, the airplane ride into the pavement was completely awesome.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't use painful techniques, just that some are far more effective than others. If the guy in white had stuck with that right arm I am sure there are a bunch of very painful ways you could twist it in order to gain compliance (while also making sure he could not use it or a weapon against them)

FraserB
09-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Loss prevention "officers" have the exact same power of arrest as any civilian walking down the street. They are allowed to use whatever reasonable force is needed to effect the arrest and must turn the person over to police ASAP. No search of person or property is permitted, nor is questioning.

There is no civil or criminal indemnity for people choosing to make a citizens arrest, you can be prosecuted for using excess force and pursued civilly by the person you are trying to arrest.

Best move in this case is lawyer up, try to get the charges tossed based on the fight. Then sue Walmart since it's likely their employees violated policy with regards to the whole thing.

Nitro5
09-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Super cool Kung-fu moves of course!

eblend
09-03-2014, 10:13 AM
What I don't understand is why this is news..this is Edmonton, just another day.

Yes I am bitter, stuck in Edmonton all week for work...haha, day I arrived in a hotel at midnight there were two big black guys arguing with the front desk person because their reservation was all messed up from booking.com...I had to wait for 15 min before the guy would pay attention to me, then quickly checked me in, while telling the other guys there was nothing he could do....I was wondering if they were going to kill him and me...haha

Hotel is 10 meters away from work...thanks god :D

M.alex
09-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Pretty sure they'll be fired from this - doesn't Wal-Mart have a no physical confrontation policy, just let the shopperlifter walk out?

Shlade
09-03-2014, 12:00 PM
^nope hands on is A OK with them

ipeefreely
09-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
^nope hands on is A OK with them
Helps keep the prices down! ;)

Funny how after watching this on the news for the past couple days they don't mention his criminal past... :banghead:

The man arrested has a criminal history that includes several charges of shoplifting, theft and fraud, as well as uttering a forged document. cbc news (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/police-investigate-after-violent-video-of-wal-mart-takedown-circulates-1.2754075)
Probably won't be the last time he's charged with shoplifting or theft... :thumbsdow

CompletelyNumb
09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
doesn't Wal-Mart have a no physical confrontation policy, just let the shopperlifter walk out?

yes

firebane
09-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Not sure how it works in Alberta but I know in BC you can't even become a security guard without taking a BST I and II level course which teaches you effective ways to protect yourself and take down a person if you needed to..

Both these LPOs suck at subduing a person and the guy in the black shirt was grunting so hard when trying to punch the guy it makes one think he tries to be tougher than he is.

I would say the guy in the red shirt finally got shit under control as he started to use his body weight to deal with the guy.

sputnik
09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

http://galaktika.hu/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/use-the-force-luke_gp_320659.jpg

icky2unk
09-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Pretty sure they'll be fired from this - doesn't Wal-Mart have a no physical confrontation policy, just let the shopperlifter walk out?

I believe that is just for the everyday employees but I think these are specialized hires.

That is my best guess.

Hallowed_point
09-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Pretty stupid to have a no touch policy for security/loss prevention

egmilano
09-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Watched this on liveleak no idea it was west ed ! Haha those lpo guys shouldn't have put hand on him though, he could have had a biggggaaa noifffff :banghead:

Khyron
09-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Loss prevention "officers" have the exact same power of arrest as any civilian walking down the street. They are allowed to use whatever reasonable force is needed to effect the arrest and must turn the person over to police ASAP. No search of person or property is permitted, nor is questioning.

There is no civil or criminal indemnity for people choosing to make a citizens arrest, you can be prosecuted for using excess force and pursued civilly by the person you are trying to arrest.

Best move in this case is lawyer up, try to get the charges tossed based on the fight. Then sue Walmart since it's likely their employees violated policy with regards to the whole thing.

That's all fine until you pull a knife. That's escalating straight to lethal force (a police officer can shoot you with their gun at that point). So could someone with a carry permit.

Once the knife is out, those security guys could smash his head into concrete or club him with a 4 foot pipe and they'd be within rights as long as they stopped once he was out/dead/restrained.

btimbit
09-04-2014, 07:39 PM

That's for regular employees, cashiers and the like. These guys are hired and licensed for this.

Originally posted by firebane
Not sure how it works in Alberta but I know in BC you can't even become a security guard without taking a BST I and II level course which teaches you effective ways to protect yourself and take down a person if you needed to..

Both these LPOs suck at subduing a person and the guy in the black shirt was grunting so hard when trying to punch the guy it makes one think he tries to be tougher than he is.

I would say the guy in the red shirt finally got shit under control as he started to use his body weight to deal with the guy.

ALBERTA BASIC SECURITY TRAINING COURSE (ABST)

cancer man
09-04-2014, 07:50 PM
I see nothing wrong with this video.You stole,you had a pointy object and used it and
you got owned.

Now if he doesn't have any stolen merchandise on his possession that again is a different story.

They did say stop resisting but i didn't hear loss prevention officers identify themselves either.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Coles Notes: Shoplifter physically resisted being arrested, attempted to stab the individual making the arrest and as a result sustained some injuries.

Rat Fink
09-04-2014, 09:19 PM

btimbit
09-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
I see nothing wrong with this video.You stole,you had a pointy object and used it and
you got owned.

Now if he doesn't have any stolen merchandise on his possession that again is a different story.

They did say stop resisting but i didn't hear loss prevention officers identify themselves either.

Well the video doesn't start at the beginning of the confrontation I'm sure they did identify themselves.

sexualbanana
09-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Shlade

But in this case these guys suck. Instead of proper methods such as pressure holds/certain distraction techniques these guys went street fighter on the subject.

Pretty piss poor on their end IMO

The actual confrontation, from what I've heard from eye witness accounts, is that everything was by the book until it got physical. In my opinion their only fault is being bad at controlling him, because two guys should be able to handle him with relative ease. Instead they resorted to the kind of tactics you'd only see in an elementary school yard fight.