PDA

View Full Version : House sq. footage calculation

black_2.5RS
09-02-2014, 09:39 PM
I built a house an noticed on the documents I signed off to construction that there are two sq. footage numbers. There's a CREB number and a CRHBA number.

What's the difference? The city has us on record with the CREB number (which is smaller by about 30 sq. ft).

I want to make sure that when I sell my place, the right sq. foot is reported - which I assume Realtors take from the city.

jwslam
09-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Weird. I know in HK they use sq footage and "usable sq footage" which I think means sum the rooms minus the walls and columns. Maybe like that?

Mitsu3000gt
09-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I know developed basements aren't included but what about balconies?

roopi
09-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure balconies are not included.

kenny
09-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Did some googling since I was curious.

CREB measurements are done based on outside walls and subtract any space that isn't serviced by both heat and electricity above grade. CRHBA probably only measures interior floor space (excludes the square footage occupied by walls).

Couldn't find anything on CRHBA or CHBA measurement standards to confirm that though.

schurchill39
09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Did some googling since I was curious.

CREB measurements are done based on outside walls and subtract any space that isn't serviced by both heat and electricity above grade. CRHBA probably only measures interior floor space (excludes the square footage occupied by walls).

Couldn't find anything on CRHBA or CHBA measurement standards to confirm that though.

That makes sense. When I bought my house it was advertised as just over 1500 sqft and thats what was on the plans that I signed off on. However, when I switched insurance companies MaskedBandit pulled the information that was registered with the city and it came in 40-50 sqft less.