PDA

View Full Version : New Home Automation Recommendation

403superman
09-03-2014, 06:44 PM
I am building a new home and I am looking to put in a complete home automation system including: home audio, lighting systems, touch screen controls, security cameras, and communication systems.

Does anyone have any recommendations for home automation companies to work with?

Also does anyone have any input on systems that they disliked or liked?

Thanks

locust
09-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I've had worked with quite a few and it really all comes down to your installer.
If you get a good installer that configures everything correctly then the majority of them are all the same but that being said it was difficult to find good installers.

I've had a savant system, control 4, nav net, and the roomie app solution.

Control 4 was my least favorite as it had a lot of compatibility issues with some of my equipment.
This could have been my installer as well there were many limitations that my installer ran into like different lighting scenarios etc.

Savant was really nice but it's substantially more compared to the other systems out there. I flew in a few guys from denver to do this job.

Nav net is now defunct it was a local calgary home automation company.

Right now i'm using roomie which is an ios app that integrates with your home quite nicely.
Limitation is that you need to be an ios user as there is no support for android or any other systems.
I had my current home custom wired and plugged in my own devices and used the app to set up the automation.

Let me know if you need a hand or a second opinion on anything as well.

Stealth22
09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
We have Control4 in our place. It's nice in that you can program it to do lots of things, like turn on lights when you open the garage door after 7PM, e-mail you when the security system detects an intrusion, etc. It supports both iOS and Android, and while they don't officially support BB10, the Android app works on BB10 if you know how to do the conversion yourself.

They nickel-and-dime you for everything though. One Control4-enabled light switch through the dealer was $180. I found a couple online for cheaper and bought those, but you still need the dealer to add them to the system for you.

Maybe that's the going rate for all home automation systems, I don't know. But I thought paying nearly $200 for a light switch was a bit much. And then there's needing to call the dealer if you need to add anything...

Composer, the software that allows you to customize and change things on the system, comes in 3 editions:

- Media Edition is, as the name implies, only for importing your music collection into the system, and I believe it does video files too, if you get the C4 video distribution equipment ($$$)

- ComposerHE, or Home Edition, does everything Media does, plus allows you to change settings and add your own programming. So you can change the LED colors on light switches/keypads, set events, timers, e-mail alerts, etc. But you can't add any new devices or sensors (such as light switches) to the system, you can only modify settings on EXISTING equipment.

- Composer Pro is the dealer version of the software. It does anything and everything, including being able to add new devices to the system. We have an unlimited site license for mobile (iOS/Android) devices, and we used to have to call the dealer to even add new mobile devices for us. Thankfully, Control4 has since released an update that allows the homeowner to add the device through the mobile app itself.

In hindsight, if I had to do it all over again, even if I would still end up going with C4, I would have at least looked into other systems. Simply for the reason that, Control4 is basically a "closed system", sort of like Apple devices. Only Control4 equipment works with Control4 systems. For example, I can't hook up my own home theater system to Control4, and have one button turn all my stuff on, and dim the lights.

There are some DIY "hacks" you can do though. For example, there are 3rd party drivers for Control4, one of which allows you to use the voice control on Android (Google Now, I think its called?) to control your system. So you can tap the voice button on your phone or tablet, and say "Living room lights on", and it would do it. I set mine up with a few commands as a test, and it works, but I haven't had time to expand it yet. I believe there is a similar driver for Siri on iOS devices. www.c4forums.com and www.c4diy.com are good resources for customizing the system.

The catch with 3rd party drivers being that, like any type of sensor/device/etc, the dealer has to install them for you. :banghead: :thumbsdow

At the time I did all this (voice driver plus the light switches I bought online), the dealer was sending a tech over to finish some outstanding items on the system anyway. So when the tech came out, I asked him to add that extra stuff to the system. It only took him like 2 minutes.

Oh, by the way, the other thing with Control4. They have the touchscreen wall panels, but at the time when we bought our system (may have changed now), the wall panels were so bloody expensive, it was better to spend $500 on an unlimited license for mobile devices, and just use smartphones/tablets to control the system. The money had been/would be spent on the phones and tablets anyway. But one wall panel was like $800 or something stupid like that. We don't have a single wall panel in our house.

Let me know if you have any questions about Control4. I'll do my best to answer em. It's a decent system, but be prepared to pay the price for it. But as I've said, there are a few ways to save some money.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

VWEvo
09-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a full Elan G! system. Super happy and does pretty much everything you can imagine. Compatibility is a huge strength of Elan G!.

I used Home Concepts here in Calgary. They were absolutely amazing. Anytime we had hiccups or problems they have been fantastic to get them fixed right away. They always seem to be available if I have questions and the quality of install was amazing. I dealt with PJ there.

G
09-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I am putting Elan G! into our home as well

Elan HC6
Elan g! Home Controller 6
Controls Media, Security, Lighting, Climate and more
Smartphone or Tablet Control
One easy-to-use interface
Upgradable
Remote Maintenance Without A Home Visit

Elan g! Integrated Multi-Room Audio Controller/Amplifier
6 Zones of Audio
8 Sources
30WPC

I am using Adera Techonolgies to install and program it all.

Best thing about Elan G! is that is expandable. We are doing sound, HVAC, security and window covering automation first but we can add video and other things down the road.

v2kai
09-04-2014, 10:03 AM
beyond user: "wtf im nameless" does home automation. he helped me do some networking and ceiling speaker work when I was building my house. Was a great help and I believe he is also a dealer of Control4 if you go that route. his name is Mark this is his website http://www.technadian.com/

asd913
09-04-2014, 10:09 AM
It seems like a lot of trouble to put up with dealer visits for months so that they can get system just right. What is the compelling use-case scenario to made it all worthwhile for you guys?

spike98
09-04-2014, 10:23 AM
The amount one will/can spend on HA is fucking astounding.

Im going the DIY route for everything. Veralite Controller with Insteon and Z-wave products. If i spend more than $5000 on everything (Audio, Video, HVAC, Lighting, Garage) then i have failed.

Also note, smarthome.com is having a 22% off everything sale until tomorrow.

v2kai
09-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Some people like android some people like apple. I see home automation in a similar light.

I went the DIY route like spike98 and compartmentalized all my systems so they can be upgraded discretely. A little more hands on but definitely not as expensive. They still integrate with one another to a degree but not as seamlessly and shiny as say a Control4 system. But not everyone has the know how to tie a DIY build all in nicely together. Also depends on your budget and what youre looking for.

The other nice thing about compartmentalization is the ability to expand your automation at your pace and spread out the cost over time.

If i had the money I probably would have gone the control4 route and been done with it but seeing as I have the skills to build my own DIY to my own liking and it fits my budget a bit better that was the way I went.

ASUS RT-AC68U + Gigabit network
Foundation wiring and conduit done during build to facilitate expansion
Vera-lite controller + Z wave automation bits and pieces
SWANN 8HD cam NVR
Onkyo 2 Zone Network Receiver (main floor ceiling speakers and rear deck speakers)
and a few UPS' to keep things running smoothly

Most things these days have a mobile app. it's not a one stop control app like control4 but I can control audio from my home network or internet stream, view my cameras, access my home cloud, control lights, garage door and all the like via mobile. Just requires me exiting one app and opening another. Plus it's also fun to build, but that's just me

Stealth22
09-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by v2kai
beyond user: "wtf im nameless" does home automation. he helped me do some networking and ceiling speaker work when I was building my house. Was a great help and I believe he is also a dealer of Control4 if you go that route. his name is Mark this is his website http://www.technadian.com/
Thanks for that! I might get in touch with him if I need anything done on our Control4 system. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by spike98
The amount one will/can spend on HA is fucking astounding.

Im going the DIY route for everything. Veralite Controller with Insteon and Z-wave products. If i spend more than $5000 on everything (Audio, Video, HVAC, Lighting, Garage) then i have failed.
Good luck! Control4 was included in the purchase price of our place, which is why I never investigated DIY.

Control4 is scalable in that you can always add more and more components down the road. But you're stuck to their way of doing things, much like Apple. And once a new Controller comes out, you have to pay to upgrade.

pheoxs
09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Man I should get into home automation on the side... stuff is so easy to do and they make a killing ...

403superman
09-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the information guys, I am going to try and stay away from the DIY route. I will have to check out Savant and Elan G systems. The only limitation with Savant, is that I believe it is compatible with only apple products?

So many systems available, guess I am going to have to visit multiple show homes, to get an idea for the systems.

I will have to check out some more home automation companies, I have only talked to one company for a quote and was quoted $135,000, which was for a control 4 system.

Originally posted by locust
I've had worked with quite a few and it really all comes down to your installer.
If you get a good installer that configures everything correctly then the majority of them are all the same but that being said it was difficult to find good installers.

I've had a savant system, control 4, nav net, and the roomie app solution.

Control 4 was my least favorite as it had a lot of compatibility issues with some of my equipment.
This could have been my installer as well there were many limitations that my installer ran into like different lighting scenarios etc.

Savant was really nice but it's substantially more compared to the other systems out there. I flew in a few guys from denver to do this job.

Nav net is now defunct it was a local calgary home automation company.

Right now i'm using roomie which is an ios app that integrates with your home quite nicely.
Limitation is that you need to be an ios user as there is no support for android or any other systems.
I had my current home custom wired and plugged in my own devices and used the app to set up the automation.

Let me know if you need a hand or a second opinion on anything as well.

I will PM you some questions, interested in the Denver route as well.

Darell_n
09-04-2014, 04:23 PM
I have an Alarm.com system with smart locks, lights control, HVAC, 2 cameras, garage control and all the security shit. Liberty Security from Edmonton put it in for me. Their apps are compatible with everything. The equipment doesn't seem top notch quality but it gets the job done. The entire system is wireless based on Z-wave which has tons of devices available.

LowRiderHD2000
09-07-2014, 06:53 AM
We use Élan G. Very happy with the system.

Controls - lighting, HVAC, pool, audio/video. Security.

Make sure you have a great wifi.

403superman
09-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000
We use Élan G. Very happy with the system.

Controls - lighting, HVAC, pool, audio/video. Security.

Make sure you have a great wifi.

Elan G looks really nice, Can you PM me with what company you went with to do the work?