PDA

View Full Version : Lava Dining - Kensington

jwslam
09-07-2014, 08:39 AM
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1835740/restaurant/Kensington/Lava-Dining-Calgary

Food Rating: 3/5
Ambiance: 4.5/5
Service: 3/5
Pricing: Brunch dishes in the teens, dinner was in the high 20's+

So it's a French / Asian Infusion restaurant.

Went during their Saturday/Sunday brunch because we saw it in the Chinese newspaper. The restaurant is brightly lit with lot so natural lighting. Tables set with wine glasses (not sure why for brunch). Table setting only consists of the wine glass and a napkin; cutlery is brought by the waitress depending on what you order. They serve that bottle of Q water that I completely do not understand.

Brunch menu looks quite interesting. Ordered 3 dishes:
Tempura Fish Sticks & Fries; I liked their Yuzu tartar sauce.
Inara Sushi; you get rather large pieces, served like art because they all look different even though they're the same thing, comes with flower petals (vegan friendly the menu says); picture enclosed of my crotch.

This one is what I'm here to warn you about; their Lava Burger.
It's a 10oz wagyu. Driest burger I've ever had, like worse than having mcdonald's thats been under the heat lamp for 3 hours; they made the patty really thick and somehow cooked it past well done. The bun was kinda stale too. Comes with fries but since that came with the fish, we change it to the bacon chowder soup; very delectable.

TLDR: I'd go again, but stay far away from the beef burger.