PDA

View Full Version : Tenant Screening - Credit & Background Check

nykz
09-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Looking for some opinions from the landlords of Beyond for the following questions below; what do you guys do?

1. Do you request a credit & background check? I know most landlords generally run credit checks only, but I hear there are some landlords who will run a criminal background check as well.

2. What credit check / background check service do you guys use? Any you recommend in particular?

3. If there are costs associated with this check, for example a credit & background check, do you get the potential tenant to cover the full cost? Or are there free services that I can utilize?

Looking for your opinions and advice, thanks!

UndrgroundRider
09-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I've never heard of a tenant paying for their own credit check. Better than any background check is vetting of the tenant in person. Lots of (now) honest people will have records, and lots of scumbags won't. Thinking about all of the sketchy people I know who bounce from one rental to the next, the landlords could avoid all of that headache if they just met with said sketchy person and realized they aren't going to contribute to society any time soon.

nj2Type-S
09-08-2014, 11:27 PM
i may be on the same boat as the OP. any tips for first-time landlords?

ronaldo
09-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Equifax Tenant Screen is what I have used in the past

-relk-
09-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
Thinking about all of the sketchy people I know who bounce from one rental to the next, the landlords could avoid all of that headache if they just met with said sketchy person and realized they aren't going to contribute to society any time soon.
You could always ask for their previous landlord's number and call them up to see how they were as tenants too.

mr2mike
09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i may be on the same boat as the OP. any tips for first-time landlords?
Do some research. It's not all gravy train to no mortgage payments. There's a reason why some do it and some don't.

Originally posted by -relk-

You could always ask for their previous landlord's number and call them up to see how they were as tenants too.
Anyone I've rented to, they're younger and don't have references except their parents or else the landlord is from Europe or elsewhere in the world and was usually a manager at a slum-student building.
It's worth a try though.
Just lately with rates being so low, a lot of people have only rented one place before getting enough for a downpayment and making the jump to a home of their own.

oz388
09-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

...and they can always give u their friends number pretend to be their previous landlord and answer all ur questions nicely.

nykz
09-09-2014, 09:35 AM
From what I gather, in person screening during the showing will reveal a lot about the potential tenant, but I think a credit check and/or background check may be beneficial incase they are lying.

When doing an employment check, I've been told to google their workplace and call the company directly and ask to speak to whoever they named as their supervisor. Rather than call the number they provide to avoid fake supervisors/references.

lasimmon
09-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by nykz
From what I gather, in person screening during the showing will reveal a lot about the potential tenant, but I think a credit check and/or background check may be beneficial incase they are lying.

When doing an employment check, I've been told to google their workplace and call the company directly and ask to speak to whoever they named as their supervisor. Rather than call the number they provide to avoid fake supervisors/references.

Just as a heads up you wouldn't get passed our secretary if for example you were trying to contact my Boss. Not sure how other companies work.

R-Audi
09-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Ive had a rental condo for around 6 years and have never done a credit or employment check. I have had people send me an email from their work email address, but thats as far as Ive gone.

Maybe Ive gotten lucky, or maybe Ive been a good judge of character when it comes to selecting tenants. I could see if the rental was $500k+ but for me when rent is $2k, it really seems to be overkill.

nykz
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Just as a heads up you wouldn't get passed our secretary if for example you were trying to contact my Boss. Not sure how other companies work.

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

I guess being able to verify that your boss in fact does work for said company would be sufficient, from there I could call the number you provided directly?

mr2mike
09-09-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm certain I could get past your secretary to talk to someone who's head/manager of your department.
I'm not looking for the CEO who doesn't know the pigeon hole you're working in. I'm after someone who manages you.

jacky4566
09-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by oz388

...and they can always give u their friends number pretend to be their previous landlord and answer all ur questions nicely.

Guilty. Used this move once because my current landlord had a super heavy Chinese accent nobody could understand so I had my room-mate do the call instead. In my defence I was subletting from the roomate so he was sort of my landlord.

Coming from the student housing world it comes down to information. The more you can get the better. Get personal with them and figure out their life style. 3 university CompSci kids are way better than 2 Engg frat boys.

88CRX
09-09-2014, 10:15 AM
I didn't do credit checks but I did ask the potential tenants if they would be OK with me doing one.... usually tells you all you need to know by how they answer.

I also googled the company name not use the number they provided to ensure its legitimate. Previous landlord I usually fish around and you can tell if they're legit or not but the types of questions you ask.

spike98
09-09-2014, 10:28 AM
I can tell more about a person in 5 mins during showing than any credit check. From how they speak, to the condition of their car, you know who will be a good fit. Both renters i have had in my rental are in bands, have tattoos, stretched ears, and hair dyed funky colours. But they have all been well spoken, clean, mature people that take care of there possessions (the car thing). I have yet to have a problem with a face to face plus a few references.

revelations
09-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Isnt there a list of tenants that are pre-screened in Calgary? :dunno: