PDA

View Full Version : How to eat sushi by chef Naomichi Yasuda (HD video, 6 min)

CanmoreOrLess
09-09-2014, 02:46 PM
As instructed by chef Naomichi Yasuda of Sushi Yasuda in Manhattan. I've been doing it all wrong, well no longer.

Daily I used to eat a sushi lunch with a Aussie coworker, he would take a heap of wasabi and dump it into the soy sauce, stir it up into a pudding like texture and dip everything into it. The Japanese thought he was insane, that was the word used over and over. Japanese diners on either side of us would strain their necks to get a peak at the insane Aussie. Some walked away saying "Baka (stupid)" and shaking their heads from side to side. Spend any time with Tim, "Baka" was often the word heard.

auLmekEsaak

Manhattan
09-09-2014, 03:06 PM
In Japanese culture you're also supposed to make slurping noises with your noodles. So if you're having sushi outside of Japan, eat em how you like.

rage2
09-09-2014, 03:16 PM
As a Sushi snob, I've been eating sushi this way since day 1, thanks to working at a sushi restaurant in my teens. Was schooled by the chefs for eating it wrong. The only difference is, I don't use chopsticks at all. Fingers get a little fishy haha.

At good restaurants, they will tell you specifically which pieces should not be eaten with soy sauce. Sukiyaki House, Zipang/Roku, they describe each piece to you and if it needs soy sauce at all. At Tojo's, they go one step further and take the soy sauce away from you.

Manhattan
09-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I agree you shouldn't put any additonal soy sauce on high quality sushi. Just like you wouldn't rub A1 sauce on at a nice steakhouse. You're ruining it.

Mibz
09-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Didn't watch the video but I'll be fucked if anybody tells me that the way I prefer my food to taste is "wrong". If somebody wants to taste nothing but wasabi, fucking let them. If somebody wants to taste nothing but A1, have at 'er.

ercchry
09-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
In Japanese culture you're also supposed to make slurping noises with your noodles. So if you're having sushi outside of Japan, eat em how you like.

thats because slurping makes noodles better*... there for... do everything the way the Japanese do in any part of the world :devil:

* http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/789005

max_boost
09-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Been doing it so wrong. I dip everything in spicy mayo lol

lilmira
09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Didn't watch the video but I'll be fucked if anybody tells me that the way I prefer my food to taste is "wrong". If somebody wants to taste nothing but wasabi, fucking let them. If somebody wants to taste nothing but A1, have at 'er.

No fish for you! Come back one year, next!

Disoblige
09-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Shaking is only for the washroom.

GQBalla
09-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I don't eat with my fingers but I rarely eat rolls

The sushi nigiri I eat it exactly like he described as my sushi boy days taught me well but I make a huge paste of wasabi and soya sauce.

Also yes I never ate ginger with the soya sauce or sushi. Always after for a palate cleanse

know1edge
09-09-2014, 05:35 PM

msommers
09-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Yeah I haven't ever been told which pieces to have soy on or not at Zipang bu they do explain what the pieces are.

That's a much better technique for dipping nigiri sushi into soy sauce. Cool find. Fuck now I want sushi :rofl:

Maxx Mazda
09-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I remember I was at this little hole in the wall sushi spot in Shibuya back in April or so. Best sushi I ever had bar none, by far. I had no idea to eat the rolls by hand, I used chopsticks and several other locals around me were too?

CanmoreOrLess
09-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

I was a formal dining waiter once upon a time, every week we'd get in a couple of good-old-boys ordering live lobster and crab. Nothing wrong with pouring the butter on the shell and eating it like a chicken leg out of a bucket. Nope, they tipped real well, it was their money and free entertainment for all. As were the customers who insisted they were correct in drinking out of the raised finger bowls. Nice lemon water they said, nice indeed. Refills?

rage2
09-09-2014, 06:46 PM
This is how I eat chocolate bars.

UxB-H6f3crY

Everyone else is wrong.

egmilano
09-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Fucking sweet ! I've been using my hands thinking it was disrespectful forever ! Haha I guess it wasn't as awkward as I thought it was ... Giving that haha foods great smile and laugh to each waitress that comes by ... :clap:

sputnik
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
1V_YKLY1ojM

Cooked Rice
09-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
1V_YKLY1ojM

lol, it's amazing how many people fall for this video.

nj2Type-S
09-10-2014, 07:51 PM
^looks legit lol.

lilmira
09-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes, you should always save the seat next to a girl for yourself.

Cos
09-10-2014, 09:01 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
09-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Daily I used to eat a sushi lunch with a Aussie coworker, he would take a heap of wasabi and dump it into the soy sauce, stir it up into a pudding like texture and dip everything into it. The Japanese thought he was insane, that was the word used over and over. Japanese diners on either side of us would strain their necks to get a peak at the insane Aussie. Some walked away saying "Baka (stupid)" and shaking their heads from side to side. Spend any time with Tim, "Baka" was often the word heard.

The soya/wasabi slurry is efficient and delicious and my gaijin ass will continue to employ that method.

Manhattan
09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Arguably it's the sushi makers causing people to eat them the wrong way. When I'm having low quality sushi I have to dip it in a bunch of soy with wasabi to mask the taste of the sushi itself. When I'm at a high end sushi place, on rare occasions, I don't even touch the soy bottle because it masks the taste of the awesome sushi.

eblend
09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

The soya/wasabi slurry is efficient and delicious and my gaijin ass will continue to employ that method.

My wife is JDM and she mixes wasabi into soy sauce, so not only a gaijin thing. My wife said alot of the proper eating meathods are no longer followed. They have so many rules as to what is proper and what is not. I know handing off food from one person to the next with chopsticks is improper, you have to take it and place it on their plate, don't intercept it mid aid with your own chopsticks.

Also sticking chopsticks into rice is apperantly very rude. For the most part they don't care at home, but when going out some of these still stick.

My stack at a conveyor sushi place this april :D

http://www.eblend.ca/Travel/2014/Japan/April-7-2014/i-D7S3vpm/0/L/P1030106-L.jpg

lilmira
09-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I only use the wasabi for the sashimi pieces. A lot of times the wasabi is already in the sushi pieces, a touch of soy on the meat is all I need..

I find it funny the white guys will submerge the whole piece in their concoction until the rice separates then they will scoop out the rice like treasure under the sea.

g-m
09-15-2014, 09:55 PM
I never use soy and never eat any ginger. Vindicated! A touch of wasabi under the slice on nigiri or just mashed on the sashimi or maki