PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014-2015 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

lasimmon
09-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Well with the newly fallen snow I figured it may be time to get this thread going!!

I may actually go tour up Highwood pass after work today as long as the highways are not in too rough shape!

flipstah
09-10-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm browsing around for cheap gear. Recommendations?

ExtraSlow
09-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I haven't been out much in the last couple years, life and kiddies have gotten in the way. Need a new pair of pants. Thinking the MEC Trackback pants. Decent price-point, and MEG gear has done well for me in the past. Not liekly to find any deals on pants at thsi time of year.

lilmira
09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Empire has some season old stuff for good price, slim picking for sizes though.

CivicTunr
09-10-2014, 03:28 PM
check levelninesports online, awesome prices and great shipping rates. Good deals on everything too.

Also debating getting a pass to either sunshine or louise. Louise is suppose to open 7 days earlier. Nov 7 vs Nov 14. So one will get the long weekend and one wont.

flipstah
09-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
check levelninesports online, awesome prices and great shipping rates. Good deals on everything too.

Also debating getting a pass to either sunshine or louise. Louise is suppose to open 7 days earlier. Nov 7 vs Nov 14. So one will get the long weekend and one wont.

Both resorts are so much fun. I just find Louise to be further out so that could be your dealbreaker? :dunno:

CivicTunr
09-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Both resorts are so much fun. I just find Louise to be further out so that could be your dealbreaker? :dunno:

While sunshine's parking lot is closer, the actual time to skiing is very close. The gondola takes about 20 minutes, and the drive to louise is 25 extra.

As well i am focusing more on the BC mountains, as my goal is to ski all of them this year. So i will be making a trip to mount washington, whistler, silver star, apex, sun peaks, big white, white water, and red mountain this year. And with being in school, i dont know if i have time to ski louise/sunshine enough to make a pass worth while.

Also a pass doesn't pay for it's self until about 11 times at that mountain. So 2 louise cards, or 2 sunshine cards might be the better idea.

ExtraSlow
09-10-2014, 04:33 PM
One Louise Card and One Sunshine card, get some epic variety going

asp integra
09-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Getting a Louise pass again this year. I find most days at Shine end up being white out so the best places to ski are below tree line which pretty much takes lookout mountain (angel and divide chairs) out of the picture.

Also the drive time is the same, for shine you have a 5-10 minute drive up the road followed by a 20 minute gondola ride. I find I actually put skis to snow faster with Louise than I do shine.

Also the park is way better at Louise as well.

dubhead
09-10-2014, 05:49 PM

While sunshine's parking lot is closer, the actual time to skiing is very close. The gondola takes about 20 minutes, and the drive to louise is 25 extra.

This... Plus I've always found Louise to be the better Mountain. It seems like everyone who says Sunshine is better justs ends up sitting in trappers when they take me out.

As for Season going for an RCR superpass this year.

lasimmon
09-10-2014, 07:34 PM
If I were to get a pass I would get Sunshine for Deleriuum and Wild West.

But I'd rather ski a variety of mountains and go touring a lot. So no pass this year!

megavolt
09-11-2014, 08:11 AM
As well i am focusing more on the BC mountains, as my goal is to ski all of them this year. So i will be making a trip to mount washington, whistler, silver star, apex, sun peaks, big white, white water, and red mountain this year.

I did a tour of Fernie, Red Mountain, Apex, Big White, and Revy last year. It was awesome - except Fernie - hadn't snowed in 2 weeks.

Also, if you're on the island, check if Mt. Cain has snow. The time I went was the best day I've ever had. But I read they didn't get much snow last year. It's a tiny little hill on the north part of the island with 2 T-bars but it's only open on the weekend so the snow from the week piles up. I think we were skiing a metre of pow and it snowed 45cm during the day when we were there.

heavyfuel
09-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Sitting this one out until Spring, if the surgeon gives me the go ahead. Finally got my ACL fixed in May along with a high-tibial-osteonomy, so with this new hardware in my leg I can't give 'er right away. Recovery/training's going great tho and focused on dropping down to 220 so I'm pretty confident I can get 10-20 days in by Spring. Doc said no running till November but I did a few laps at Talisman the other day and it didn't feel bad at all. I'm way ahead of the game as far as recovery is concerned. It'll be worth every second of this wait once I can burn it down without the knee brace!

mazdavirgin
09-11-2014, 12:30 PM

:dunno: The first 7 days they are open is the wiwaxy 500. You might as well just go to COP at that rate. At least when sunshine opens it's not just the one run with fake snow.

No pass for me this year other than COP because no one else has a pipe. :nut: Otherwise the plan is to chase the powder. Default goto mountain is sunshine though because it has consistently good snow no matter what. I find louise is too dicey when it comes to snowpack it's either good or it feels like COP.

Park wise I still think COP does a better job than most mountains.

lasimmon
09-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Not my photo, from my friend the day before, but up at highwod pass! Early season!

dubhead
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Sitting this one out until Spring, if the surgeon gives me the go ahead. Finally got my ACL fixed in May along with a high-tibial-osteonomy, so with this new hardware in my leg I can't give 'er right away. Recovery/training's going great tho and focused on dropping down to 220 so I'm pretty confident I can get 10-20 days in by Spring. Doc said no running till November but I did a few laps at Talisman the other day and it didn't feel bad at all. I'm way ahead of the game as far as recovery is concerned. It'll be worth every second of this wait once I can burn it down without the knee brace!

I'm about 4 years post ACL reconstructio nand my knee feels great. It'll be sore for a while but it does get better.

heavyfuel
09-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dubhead

I'm about 4 years post ACL reconstructio nand my knee feels great. It'll be sore for a while but it does get better.

Good to hear. How long until you rode again? And what % u figure you were at when you did?

dubhead
09-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Good to hear. How long until you rode again? And what % u figure you were at when you did?

I had my surgery in June rode my first day that Dcember with a brace, Only had the brace for a month. Really for the first year back on snow just cruised around mostly and worked on switch riding(pretty much ambidextrous now as a result). but was doing some small jumps and screwing around a little more by that spring.

The following winter it was still off a bit but pretty much rode most anything I did before, exept big jumps but that's more personal choice over injury holding me back. I would say the 3rd season back was when it was really back and not even really a thought in my mind. Now it's more common for the other knee to be sore after a day of riding.

Personally I found my actual knee came back alot quicker than my hamstring they harvested the tendon from to make my new ACL. It took a long time to get full flexiblity back in and the weirdest tweaks would be very uncomfotable for awhile.

heavyfuel
09-11-2014, 06:38 PM

I had my surgery in June rode my first day that Dcember with a brace, Only had the brace for a month. Really for the first year back on snow just cruised around mostly and worked on switch riding(pretty much ambidextrous now as a result). but was doing some small jumps and screwing around a little more by that spring.

The following winter it was still off a bit but pretty much rode most anything I did before, exept big jumps but that's more personal choice over injury holding me back. I would say the 3rd season back was when it was really back and not even really a thought in my mind. Now it's more common for the other knee to be sore after a day of riding.

Personally I found my actual knee came back alot quicker than my hamstring they harvested the tendon from to make my new ACL. It took a long time to get full flexiblity back in and the weirdest tweaks would be very uncomfotable for awhile.

I was also told I could ride this season with a brace but I'd rather not. I hear ya on the hamstring and flexibility tho I'm working on that one daily. I don't really do much air but once recovered and down to 220 that will change lol thx for the info, really encouraging!

dubhead
09-11-2014, 10:23 PM

I was also told I could ride this season with a brace but I'd rather not. I hear ya on the hamstring and flexibility tho I'm working on that one daily. I don't really do much air but once recovered and down to 220 that will change lol thx for the info, really encouraging!

Losing weight will help too I was definitely on the bigger side when I hurt it and ended up gaing a fair amount of weight after it first happend from sitting around for a month or so waiting to find out exactly what happend to it.

When you do get back on the snow I found it helped a lot to focus on keeping my knees bent in a aggressive riding postion all the time. It really helps keep the knee from trying to pull one way or another and will keep your knee from tiring out so early.

I'm always looking to fill a seat or two in the winter we'll have to head out one day.

heavyfuel
09-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Losing weight will help too I was definitely on the bigger side when I hurt it and ended up gaing a fair amount of weight after it first happend from sitting around for a month or so waiting to find out exactly what happend to it.

When you do get back on the snow I found it helped a lot to focus on keeping my knees bent in a aggressive riding postion all the time. It really helps keep the knee from trying to pull one way or another and will keep your knee from tiring out so early.

I'm always looking to fill a seat or two in the winter we'll have to head out one day.

Awesome! Looking forward to getting back on the snow. It's been tough finding people to ski/ride with lately.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-30-2014, 03:53 PM
JP Auclair and Andreas Fransson have both been found dead after and Avalanche in Chile.

Godspeed boys.

asp integra
10-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Picked up the Louise pass, can't wait to get out there! Bring on the Snow!

BavarianBeast
10-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Just picked up my pass for Big White. Should be spending lots of time there this season seeing as I just bought a condo.

I do need a new snowboard though, my 2009 youngblood isn't cutting it anymore. Anyone know if any of the shops around Calgary have some good sales going on?

Rocket1k78
10-10-2014, 11:35 AM
^^^They'll all be blowing out the 2014 gear but if you're picky about what you ride I wouldn't bother because its going to be slim pickings now im sure.

JfuckinC
10-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Booked Revy opening weeked, booking Japan in Feb right away too..

Can't wait to ride :love:

dubhead
10-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Got a Superpass this year and in on Revy and Japan with JfuckingC!

As for deals try http://store.thinkempire.com they might have more left then the local guys since they already had their big sales.

sl888
10-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Just picked up my pass for Big White. Should be spending lots of time there this season seeing as I just bought a condo.

I do need a new snowboard though, my 2009 youngblood isn't cutting it anymore. Anyone know if any of the shops around Calgary have some good sales going on?
Try Ski Cellar. I just picked up a Nug with 35% off.

woodywoodford
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Anybody know anything about Goldwin gear? i got what I think is a pretty good deal on one from Techno Sport but don't know anything about the brand besides what the salesperson said - that it's a "ferrari" project for one of the guys at Arc'teryx? Almost nothing about the brand online.

muse017
10-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Anybody know anything about Goldwin gear? i got what I think is a pretty good deal on one from Techno Sport but don't know anything about the brand besides what the salesperson said - that it's a "ferrari" project for one of the guys at Arc'teryx? Almost nothing about the brand online.

Top of the line Japanese brand and very well known for their quality materials.

pheoxs
10-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Picked up a new board for this year. Booked a week in revvy for Christmas. 100$ a night for hotel and lift ticket is pretty awesome. Going to try and make it out to sunshine a bunch this winter. For the Costco tickets it says 3 adult lift tickets, I can use these myself on different days right? I've never used the Costco ones before

http://i.imgur.com/TLPyO7I.jpg

lasimmon
10-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Where you staying in revy?

pheoxs
10-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Where you staying in revy?

Sandman hotel.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Sandman hotel.

I always stay there. Gonna try the best western this year. Stayed at the Hillcrest last year and they were so snobby, met Dane Tudor and a couple other pro skiers there though.

pheoxs
10-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I always stay there. Gonna try the best western this year. Stayed at the Hillcrest last year and they were so snobby, met Dane Tudor and a couple other pro skiers there though.

I couldn't say no to there, the promo was 100$ a night for a king room and lift ticket

mazdavirgin
10-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I couldn't say no to there, the promo was 100$ a night for a king room and lift ticket

:rofl: Yeah I'm usually too cheap and sleep in the car at the bottom of the hill. Use the locker room/washrooms at the base there. Drop in to the rec center for a swim/hot tubs :) Otherwise everywhere I have stayed in revy is such a dive that I rather sleep in my car. Like the Powder Springs Inn or the Monashee Lodge. Maybe the problem is I am staying at all the cheap places. :dunno:

cam_wmh
10-13-2014, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

:rofl: Yeah I'm usually too cheap and sleep in the car at the bottom of the hill. Use the locker room/washrooms at the base there. Drop in to the rec center for a swim/hot tubs :) Otherwise everywhere I have stayed in revy is such a dive that I rather sleep in my car. Like the Powder Springs Inn or the Monashee Lodge. Maybe the problem is I am staying at all the cheap places. :dunno:

Have you noticed the village?

The accommodations on hill, blow away the motels in town.

pheoxs
10-13-2014, 08:21 AM

How do you not freeze in your car lol

mazdavirgin
10-14-2014, 12:31 AM
How do you not freeze in your car lol

Sleeping bag :P It's pretty cozy unless it's really cold. Anything around -10 is quite tolerable.

Yeah I'll have to check out the on hill stuff. Usually the problem though is my trips are last minute chasing snowfall type deals and either everything is fully booked or just bat shit bananas pricing. But yeah I can't speak enough about how ghetto the motels are there. Hilarious how expensive they are...

Anyways for some pre season stoke. Love this short clip.

ZTyiOew5YCU

Rocket1k78
10-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Thats insane!!! There aint much choice in Rey but theres some decent places. I did the sandman the first time and its doable but i wouldn't recommend this place if youre with a new gf:poosie:

JfuckinC
10-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Haha we used to stay at the hostel.. but we got in too much trouble there...

I stay at the regent now, liqour store in parking lot, all good food near by, The Cabin across the street... We bowl everynight out there haha :clap:

mazdavirgin
10-14-2014, 12:35 PM
So sad that Nike is no longer going to be making boots :( Love my current Nike boots and was hoping to get another pair seeing as I am going through a pair of boots about every season and a half at the moment. That and it's hard to find good lace boots. I'm not a fan of the quick lace or BOA business.

ercchry
10-14-2014, 12:55 PM

love the monashee lodge, so chill. just hang out in the hot tub and drink beer for hours (they also were cleaning it daily when i was there) one trip they even forgot to charge me for a night. soooo cheap!

Originally posted by cam_wmh

Have you noticed the village?

The accommodations on hill, blow away the motels in town.

no nightlife up the hill though

mazdavirgin
10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
love the monashee lodge, so chill. just hang out in the hot tub and drink beer for hours

I just can't handle the fact that the hot tub is smack dab right in the middle of the motel lobby. :nut:

ercchry
10-14-2014, 01:06 PM

I just can't handle the fact that the hot tub is smack dab right in the middle of the motel lobby. :nut:

can always just walk across the street to the other hotel and use one of their tubs too if you want... but social hot tub mean new friends :poosie:

i could do without the hoards of bros with their snowmobiles though. had to yell at one that was rev'ing the piss out of their sled right next to the fresh air intake for our room.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2014, 01:11 PM
I hate the sled bros.

JohnnyBlaze
10-15-2014, 06:36 AM
I just bought a pair of nike boots a few weeks ago from the source

So sad that Nike is no longer going to be making boots :( Love my current Nike boots and was hoping to get another pair seeing as I am going through a pair of boots about every season and a half at the moment. That and it's hard to find good lace boots. I'm not a fan of the quick lace or BOA business.

diamondedge
10-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Shredbots movie just dropped on Vimeo...

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/videos/shred-bots-movie-now-vimeo-vod/

heavyfuel
10-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I hate the sled bros.

Why? Cuz they don't wear touques in summertime and don't hang goggles off the rearview?

lasimmon
10-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Anyone go to Freshtival on Friday?

This first movie was arguably the worst movie I have ever seen. The second movie was awesome I thought.

Dudes ripping around in bounds at Revy and the like, didnt think it could be so entertaining haha.

asp integra
10-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Anyone go to Freshtival on Friday?

This first movie was arguably the worst movie I have ever seen. The second movie was awesome I thought.

Dudes ripping around in bounds at Revy and the like, didnt think it could be so entertaining haha.

Is the first one you are referring to "the recruitment" or something like that? If so, yes I agree, awful movie.

The MSP movie that night was awesome, I loved the in bounds segment, it was by far the best part of any of the movies I saw over the 3 days. Gave me more stoke for the season than anything else.

Did anyone see 20? I think PBPs budget was chopped to very little for this movie. Considering its their 20th movie you think they would go all out. Instead it was a lot of recycled footage. I think the only heli shots were from Tanners segment which was the best part of the movie.

lasimmon
10-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Yah the recruitment. I almost felt bad when the people who made it came up after.

98brg2d
10-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I'll just go ahead and leave this right here...
http://www.ambilight.philips.com/en_UK/home#en_UK/film

mazdavirgin
10-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Why? Cuz they don't wear touques in summertime and don't hang goggles off the rearview?

Because they act like dicks and drive like dicks. Sled bros bringing the rednecks out to the mountains where they can do dumb shit like drive drunk and throw their trash all over the mountains while yelling about being bro's.

It's like a guarantee to boot that the guys who are swerving all over the place and generally driving like idiots in Rogers pass are hauling sleds.

heavyfuel
10-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Because they act like dicks and drive like dicks. Sled bros bringing the rednecks out to the mountains where they can do dumb shit like drive drunk and throw their trash all over the mountains while yelling about being bro's.

It's like a guarantee to boot that the guys who are swerving all over the place and generally driving like idiots in Rogers pass are hauling sleds.

Awwwww

CivicTunr
10-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by 98brg2d
I'll just go ahead and leave this right here...
http://www.ambilight.philips.com/en_UK/home#en_UK/film

such a sweet video, watched it a while back i want a light suit.

Went skiing last friday, slide my first rail so that was fun. Unforunately my friend broke it after i successfully slide it, so i only have a picture of the damage.

Version 2.0 coming soon :)
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/graff-attak/20141017_170246_zps8df01394.jpg

And a picture of my quiver for this year, All mountain skis, park skis, and a touring ski, along with a big fat cat ski/powder day.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/graff-attak/20141021_180009_zps912f7757.jpg

98brg2d
10-22-2014, 08:38 AM
[B]

such a sweet video, watched it a while back i want a light suit.

The full length just dropped on Sunday, did you scroll down the page and see that? It is ~12 minutes vs the ~3 minute preview and has more footage.

dubhead
10-23-2014, 10:43 AM

It really does seem like as soon as a sled is loaded on to the back of a truck or in a trailer that the driver becomes completely unaware of basic common sense regarding the rules of the road, road conditions and any courtesy to other drivers on the road.

petoria
10-23-2014, 10:44 AM
any of you guys know of stores that sell Adidas Snowboarding gear? haven't looked around, but saw on their Instagram page. Want to check out their boots and jackets

heavyfuel
10-23-2014, 10:55 AM

It really does seem like as soon as a sled is loaded on to the back of a truck or in a trailer that the driver becomes completely unaware of basic common sense regarding the rules of the road, road conditions and any courtesy to other drivers on the road.

Agreed. BUT no different than small cars packed with hippy skiers blazing the bong on a death race to the hill each powder day. Can't argue that fact either. I drive a sled-worthy truck and I save the pissing match for the hill. But that's just me.

Everybody's guilty of something and we all just wanna have fun!

Looking forward to trying sledding, looks like a blast!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Because most of them are rude and park/drive like assholes out there. I hate staying in Revelstoke when the slednecks come in drunk and disorderly at the end of the day and start fucking around at the hotel.

megavolt
10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Only experience with sled bros was last year at Revy.

Yelling until late at night, yelling and pounding the walls at 5am. Parking wherever the hell they feel like (had to weave our car through all the trailers to get out of our parking lot).

So ya, my only experience with them fits the stereotype apparently.

lasimmon
10-23-2014, 01:43 PM
I've had just as any bad experiences from snowboard crews as I have from sled crews. In fact I would say snowboarders are worse. Very disrespectful with the way they act around people and others when at hotels/on the hill/driving their shit cars smoking weed.

Rocket1k78
10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
I've had just as any bad experiences from snowboard crews as I have from sled crews. In fact I would say snowboarders are worse. Very disrespectful with the way they act around people and others when at hotels/on the hill/driving their shit cars smoking weed.

I've never really had any issues with sledders but between boarders and skiers the douche trophy goes to the boarders lol

ercchry
10-23-2014, 01:53 PM
why cant it just be punk ass kids? why do we have to label people :cry:

mazdavirgin
10-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
I've never really had any issues with sledders but between boarders and skiers the douche trophy goes to the boarders lol

:dunno: Ever try to go buy anything from Ski West? You would think they were selling Polo gear instead of skies in there. The level of pretentiousness and elitism is hilarious. At least Fresh feels like a normal shop and not some weird Holt Renfrew for skiers. Really though there are a lot of skiers with a stick up their ass who think they are gods gift to the mountains and insist on bragging about how they just went heli skiing/off to the alps yet they can hardly get down the steeper terrain.

Not to mention skiers in the terrain park who insist on stopping on top of features because well you know skiers. :facepalm: Alternatively the ski racers who go do laps in the park with their coaches who apparently don't get you have to call your drop. I'm looking at you sunshine and nakiska race team. I can excuse the kids for being stupid but the coaches do it as well... GTFO of my pipe you jerks.

Most boarders are really chill which is definitely not the case when it comes to the ski crowd where half of them think they are part of the aristocracy and insist on trying to stab you with their poles in the lift lines. :rolleyes:

lasimmon
10-23-2014, 02:50 PM

:dunno: Ever try to go buy anything from Ski West? You would think they were selling Polo gear instead of skies in there. The level of pretentiousness and elitism is hilarious. At least Fresh feels like a normal shop and not some weird Holt Renfrew for skiers. Really though there are a lot of skiers with a stick up their ass who think they are gods gift to the mountains and insist on bragging about how they just went heli skiing/off to the alps yet they can hardly get down the steeper terrain.

Not to mention skiers in the terrain park who insist on stopping on top of features because well you know skiers. :facepalm: Alternatively the ski racers who go do laps in the park with their coaches who apparently don't get you have to call your drop. I'm looking at you sunshine and nakiska race team. I can excuse the kids for being stupid but the coaches do it as well... GTFO of my pipe you jerks.

Most boarders are really chill which is definitely not the case when it comes to the ski crowd where half of them think they are part of the aristocracy and insist on trying to stab you with their poles in the lift lines. :rolleyes:

My post was more of an "There are assholes in every group".

You just proved it.

Rocket1k78
10-23-2014, 03:00 PM
lol the skier/boarder beef might be just as bad as the bloods/crips.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2014, 03:12 PM
http://www.leoncountyso.com/images/gang/t_gang02.tmb-0.jpg

heavyfuel
10-23-2014, 04:05 PM
I ski and board, enjoy both equally although I am a much better skier, and plan on sledding someday and everybody can equally fuck off lol

Still would go to Ski West over "I'm so fuckin cool with my touque on in July" Fresh lol

JfuckinC
10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
k get this shit outta the thread :barf:

You guys are all just a bunch of whiners. stop paying attention to everyone else and shred. I don't notice any of the stuff you guys are complaining about because I'm too busy having fun with my friends and actually riding :nut:

Revvy just got shit on :D

http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/conditions/webcams

JfuckinC
10-23-2014, 04:23 PM
gnorm!

mazdavirgin
10-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Local cams are depressing :\ Even Nakiska hasn't really started making snow... It's been too warm. Someone turn down the thermostat. Will be interesting to see how many resorts make their opening day.

Last year Nakiska was open before the 31st of October :nut:

CivicTunr
10-23-2014, 11:45 PM

Really? Every time I've gone into ski west, everyone has been friendly. I like fresh too, great group of guys.

mazdavirgin
10-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Well I have heard the same type of sentiment from a fair bit of my skier friends. :dunno:

http://www.gfycat.com/FoolishAssuredDrongo

Progression is insane :\ Back flip melon grab 180 to frontside boardslide with 180 out...

SkiBum5.0
10-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Got a snow alert for Kicking Horse next week - hopefully it just keeps on coming

cam_wmh
10-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

love the monashee lodge, so chill. just hang out in the hot tub and drink beer for hours (they also were cleaning it daily when i was there) one trip they even forgot to charge me for a night. soooo cheap!

no nightlife up the hill though

Well sorta true. Regent when looking to party, or apres-b.s at Rockford or Mack. During peak times the Rockford was pretty decent.

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
Got a snow alert for Kicking Horse next week - hopefully it just keeps on coming

:thumbsup:

mazdavirgin
10-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Sunshine's main lodge is now surrounded by a healthy layer of snow :)

Lake Louise still is bare and brown :\

flipstah
10-27-2014, 11:26 AM
SNAAAAOOOWWWWW

mazdavirgin
10-29-2014, 01:14 AM
SNAAAAOOOWWWWW

So what are your goals for this year since last year you mastered this going down the hill business? I forget did you actually manage to get a decent carve going?

flipstah
10-29-2014, 07:25 AM

So what are your goals for this year since last year you mastered this going down the hill business? I forget did you actually manage to get a decent carve going?

I think I got a decent carve going and once I get back to the swing of things, I'm going to learn tricks then maybe the balls to do the park.

lasimmon
10-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Any of you Back Country guys have a good list or website I can use to check out some lesser known or even some good quality tours?

Looking to tour a bunch more this year than previous years and want to start reading up on some different treks.

ercchry
10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Any of you Back Country guys have a good list or website I can use to check out some lesser known or even some good quality tours?

Looking to tour a bunch this year and want to start reading up on some different treks.

have a few people hyping this up on my facebook

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geobackcountry/geobackcountry-rogers-pass-backcountry-skiing-guid

mazdavirgin
10-29-2014, 10:03 AM
I think I got a decent carve going and once I get back to the swing of things, I'm going to learn tricks then maybe the balls to do the park.

Looking forward to seeing more flipstah footage :P You got a list of tricks you want to learn?

Looking to tour a bunch more this year than previous years and want to start reading up on some different treks.

Your best bet is the areas guide books. MEC carries a bunch of them. Otherwise you can pull through peoples blogs and look for trip reports but that can be dicey at times. This guy has a guide book and some decent trip reports: https://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsOfASkiBum

flipstah
10-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Looking forward to seeing more flipstah footage :P You got a list of tricks you want to learn?

I'll get my buddy to film landscape this time. I also bought a selfie stick in Asia. :rofl:

Just the simple stuff:

- Butter
- Some grabs and land without faceplanting

Canmorite
10-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Check out these guys if you're looking for a guide to show you some new areas. Used them last year and was impressed http://www.capow.ca/

mazdavirgin
10-29-2014, 11:03 AM

I'll get my buddy to film landscape this time. I also bought a selfie stick in Asia. :rofl:

Just the simple stuff:

- Butter

Pfft your video is a classic :rofl:

Kxatd7yKa_c

diamondedge
10-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Just the simple stuff:

- Butter

Jesus you're progressing way faster than me, I've only been doing this for 2 seasons. I can carve but not down hella steeps

peaceeeeeeeeeee when you land your first ollie

dimi
10-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Greg Hill is probably the best source. Doug Sproul as well, as mentioned above. Teleplanker I like too. Last one has good route information.

http://greghill.squarespace.com/journal/?currentPage=17

http://teleplanker.blogspot.ca/

http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=Rogers%20Pass

flipstah
10-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Anyone planning to go to the Sunshine season opener on the 15th?

megavolt
10-29-2014, 03:58 PM
You mean the 14th right? Gotta be dedicated and take the day off! The 15th will be crazy busy I'm sure.

ercchry
10-29-2014, 04:00 PM
opening day is always so painful, i'll wait till there is snow i think

flipstah
10-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Bah, don't have that Friday off.

I guess I'll wait a couple weeks after. :zzz:

dubhead
10-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Just the simple stuff:

- Butter

We'll have to get out together sometime and I'll give you some pointers, as for grabs bring the board to you don't reach for it. Oh and the one tip absolutely everyone can benefit from in all aspects of riding Bend Your Knees More!!!

CivicTunr
10-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Well im getting new gear, so im selling some gear

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=386955

mazdavirgin
10-30-2014, 02:20 PM

We'll have to get out together sometime and I'll give you some pointers, as for grabs bring the board to you don't reach for it. Oh and the one tip absolutely everyone can benefit from in all aspects of riding Bend Your Knees More!!!

You gotta teach him how to spin. It's what all the cools kids are doing off the jumps nowadays. :)

flipstah
10-30-2014, 02:25 PM
I'd like to be able to enjoy this season for its entire duration. :rofl:

lasimmon
10-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by dimi

Greg Hill is probably the best source. Doug Sproul as well, as mentioned above. Teleplanker I like too. Last one has good route information.

http://greghill.squarespace.com/journal/?currentPage=17

http://teleplanker.blogspot.ca/

http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=Rogers%20Pass

Thanks for the info!

(and thanks to the others who replied as well)

megavolt
10-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Finally going to go backcountry this year. Taking my avi course next month.

dubhead
10-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I'd like to be able to enjoy this season for its entire duration. :rofl:

If you come to Louise I'll show you some nice natural hits that are pretty low impact and usually have nice soft landings. Also huck ruts are you friend when learning to spin pretty low impact plus low speed so good for getting the feel of landing at weird angles when you don't get spins around the whole way.

Either way it's way easier to explain stuff out on the hill