PDA

View Full Version : Most Under-Hyped Cars Ever... Your Opinions?

Sugarphreak
09-11-2014, 06:38 AM

slinkie
09-11-2014, 06:46 AM
3.2TL
RX8

A2VR6
09-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Cobalt SS T/C

Everyone hates on the thing because its a Cobalt. I believe it holds the fastest lightning lap time for a FWD car at VIR. Great chassis, good motor, not a lot of them sold.

16hypen3sp
09-11-2014, 07:07 AM
2005 Dodge SX 2.0 (Neon)

Fantastic, solid car.

Sugarphreak
09-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Legacy GT non spec B as well imo.
BMW Z4M
Original Ford Focus
First Gen CTS-V
Porsche Boxster/Cayman

16hypen3sp
09-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ I have to strongly disagree.

I hate the Dodge SX 2.0.... my Mom had one she bought brand new and within about 4 years I was fixing it on a regular basis. Terriable transmission, horrible ride, zero driver feel, clunky suspension, garbage soggy un-supportive seats. Little stuff too, for instance like I broke the plastic clips for the visor by touching them, or how the engine sounded like it was stuck on 3500rpm no matter what you were doing. It was a peice of shit, easily on my top 10 worst cars of all time.

I finally broke down and just gave her my old DD just so I could stop getting calls to come and fix that hopeless peice of trash all the time. It didn't even crack 90K and it felt like it was on death row.

Either I'm lucky or your mom is unlucky. Mine is at 170000 and no problems at all. Only thing I've done is regular oil changes. I like mine.

That's crappy news though.

corsvette
09-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Buick Regal GS- Never read a bad review of one. Turbo, AWD (in later models) slick styling in and out, great handling. Sucha deal.

94boosted
09-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ

**Flame Suit On**

I'm continually impressed by what these things can do on an Autocross course and even the track.

Originally posted by A2VR6
Cobalt SS T/C

Everyone hates on the thing because its a Cobalt. I believe it holds the fastest lightning lap time for a FWD car at VIR. Great chassis, good motor, not a lot of them sold.

X2

riander5
09-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
2005 Dodge SX 2.0 (Neon)

Fantastic, solid car.

Is this for real? Troll on sir

So underhype, much value, too economy

tomt64
09-11-2014, 07:56 AM

Either I'm lucky or your mom is unlucky. Mine is at 170000 and no problems at all. Only thing I've done is regular oil changes. I like mine.

That's crappy news though.

You have been extremely lucky.

16hypen3sp
09-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by riander5

Is this for real? Troll on sir

So underhype, much value, too economy

Lol. It is for real. What's not to believe about it?

dirtsniffer
09-11-2014, 07:58 AM
BMW Z8

G-ZUS
09-11-2014, 07:59 AM
W124 Mercedes 500E/E500 :love:

mr2mike
09-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Toyota MR2.
Everyone looses their minds when they see a Supra. The MR2 can out perform the Supra, but people see the huge Supra hp #s.

Inzane
09-11-2014, 08:26 AM
2005 Dodge SX 2.0 (Neon)

Fantastic, solid car.

:rofl: :rofl:

Maybe you experienced great reliability, but other than that possibility what makes it so fucking fantastic?

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Legacy GT non spec B as well imo.

I'll second that. :thumbsup:

shakalaka
09-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Even though I personally wouldn't get one cause I would look weird in it but for me it would be a Mini. Never thought much of them, my sister in law got one and they are fun little things. Wish I didn't look funny in one, wouldn't mind having one around. And apparently pretty good in winter as she is able to drive around in Winnipeg out of all the places.

XylathaneGTR
09-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I personally wouldn't get one cause I would look weird in it...[a Mini]
Wish I didn't look funny in one...[a Mini]
Care to elaborate on those statements?

mr2mike
09-11-2014, 08:45 AM
The Mini I wouldn't say is underhyped. I was turned off of them when I read about the IC ice build up causing non starts and the weak transmissions. Have they fixed these issues?

Yes, they were fun to test drive and I would only drive one all tinted out, haha.

I'd also add the Pontiac GXP was underhyped. Those cars were pretty quick from stock.

Darkane
09-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Loved my 2008 civic si coupe. Sweetest transaxle around.

LSD, 220whp with bolt ons. Brilliant.

Shlade
09-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Focus ST
Volvo 850R (can be made into a serious beast with bolt ons)
Rsx Type S

16hypen3sp
09-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

:rofl: :rofl:

Maybe you experienced great reliability, but other than that possibility what makes it so fucking fantastic?

I bought it for a commuter car purpose... and it is serving that purpose well.

I didn't buy it to race around a track... although that would be pretty damn funny to see.

shutterbug_art8
09-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Toyota Echo hatchback (2004-2006). They have tight suspension, light, sharp steering. solid cars, basic low tech cars that's a hoot to drive. Plus get 650-700km/on 40 liters of regular.

Inzane
09-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I bought it for a commuter car purpose... and it is serving that purpose well.

I understand that. But if that is your metric for "fantastic", I don't know what to say. You are not far from the bottom, so how would you describe the countless cars out there that are undeniably nicer?

shakalaka
09-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Care to elaborate on those statements?

I am a relatively big guy at 6.1 and 215lbs. Just think that I would look funny sitting in a car that small.

Originally posted by mr2mike
The Mini I wouldn't say is underhyped. I was turned off of them when I read about the IC ice build up causing non starts and the weak transmissions. Have they fixed these issues?

Yes, they were fun to test drive and I would only drive one all tinted out, haha.

I'd also add the Pontiac GXP was underhyped. Those cars were pretty quick from stock.

My sister in law had that issue through out last year. The car wouldn't start after getting snowed on overnight. My brother put a trickle charger and I believe it's fine now. Her's is a 2011 or 2012 I think.

16hypen3sp
09-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

I understand that. But if that is your metric for "fantastic", I don't know what to say. You are not far from the bottom, so how would you describe the countless cars out there that are undeniably nicer?

Its just that it's been a fantastic car for the purpose I bought it for. Yes, your right, there are many nicer cars out there... But I don't need a nicer car to boot around from A to B... especially in the winter.

Neil4Speed
09-11-2014, 10:41 AM
We need some Yang to counter the Ying of the other thread; what are some of the most under-hyped cars out there?

Any hidden gems that often get forgotten about?

My own short list:

[b]Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/ Manual Transmission
Lots of horsepower, looks great (for a Honda), nice slick feeling transmission and Reliability. If I didn't live somewhere where it snows in September I'd seriously consider one as a DD.

I have also heard good things about the 4-Banger as well, great transmission with the manual, decently fun, well put together and excellent on fuel. Consistantly praised by auto publications.

Neil4Speed
09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

I am a relatively big guy at 6.1 and 215lbs. Just think that I would look funny sitting in a car that small.

My sister in law had that issue through out last year. The car wouldn't start after getting snowed on overnight. My brother put a trickle charger and I believe it's fine now. Her's is a 2011 or 2012 I think.

My Ex had the same issue with the ice. It was ridiculous that at the time there wasn't a solution.

One thing for sure, The fit and finish on that Mini was something way outside of its price class. Extremely heavy doors, nice metal switches and handles - felt better put together than many BMW's that I have been in.

Hallowed_point
09-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Loved my 2008 civic si coupe. Sweetest transaxle around.

LSD, 220whp with bolt ons. Brilliant.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but can you elaborate on what you consider bolt ons? Because if you're talking turbo or supercharger I'd believe it on a non dynojet. If you're talking intake & exhaust can you post a few non dynojet sheets to back this up?

tomt64
09-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Its just that it's been a fantastic car for the purpose I bought it for. Yes, your right, there are many nicer cars out there... But I don't need a nicer car to boot around from A to B... especially in the winter.

So in a nutshell it is not an under hyped car. :)

soloracer
09-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Porsche 968 - good handling, decent NA power, comfortable with all the luxury items, versatile with the hatch and they are fairly rare so not much chance of seeing another when you are out for a cruise. Plus it's got the badge which may means something to people.

Darkane
09-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but can you elaborate on what you consider bolt ons? Because if you're talking turbo or supercharger I'd believe it on a non dynojet. If you're talking intake & exhaust can you post a few non dynojet sheets to back this up?

I'm not gonna elaborate to much as I have in previous threads (I'm a die-hard K-series guy).

Basically my car was setup like this:

Skunk2 race header
Fullrace 3" header back exhaust
Type R (rrc) intake manifold
Rdx 410cc injectors
3" full velocity stack CAI
J35 (Honda v6) TB
Flashpro tuned by Jeff Evans.

That was all for power mods. MANY dyno on 8th civic to prove the power output of the setup. It was a very popular setup.

My personal car was street tuned at 800ft above sea level. It was never on the dyno but it was at 215whp on the edyno(yeah doesn't mean shit) about 4 tunes from the final revision.

When I was test and tuning I may have roll raced a bolt on G35 with around 280whp in "Mexico". We were neck and neck 60-170. Might be a video of this Mexican run in the internet ether ;)

So meh.

MalibuStacy
09-11-2014, 11:31 AM
I actually never drove one but I have friends who have; Suzuki Swift Turbo(early 90's). They seem to be popular in Europe, but out here they where a bit of a underdog.

16hypen3sp
09-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by tomt64

So in a nutshell it is not an under hyped car. :)

Apparently not.

I just remember people always ragging on those cars... I've had the complete opposite experience from what everyone says.

Not a Ford guy, but Taurus SHO? Under hyped?

Tik-Tok
09-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Toyota MR2.
Everyone looses their minds when they see a Supra. The MR2 can out perform the Supra, but people see the huge Supra hp #s.

People swoon over Supra's because they're so rare (mk.4 anyways). I can't agree with MR2's being under-rated because no one who has actually driven one has come out saying "Well that was disappointing"

DeleriousZ
09-11-2014, 12:03 PM
1984-89 300zx's :angel:

The turbo's anyway, n/a's are slow as shit.

Basic bolt ons and a boost controller and you're making 250-275whp. Injectors, tune, ic and turbo and you can do 450-500whp before the ring lands shatter on you. Transmissions and rear ends are bulletproof, engines are ok as long as you're not drifting, need a hammerhead oil pan for safety.

Suspension setup is basic, not good for dropping on its nuts but does the job when you refresh it a bit.

t-tops, heated mirrors, 8 way adjustable seats, adjustable suspension, cruise, a/c etc etc.

Yet nobody's ever heard of em or they think you're driving a camaro or delorean.

MalibuStacy
09-11-2014, 12:11 PM
I can agree with calling the MR2 under hyped. People just don't know about it,

Sugarphreak
09-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Hallowed_point
09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

I'm not gonna elaborate to much as I have in previous threads (I'm a die-hard K-series guy).

Basically my car was setup like this:

Skunk2 race header
Fullrace 3" header back exhaust
Type R (rrc) intake manifold
Rdx 410cc injectors
3" full velocity stack CAI
J35 (Honda v6) TB
Flashpro tuned by Jeff Evans.

That was all for power mods. MANY dyno on 8th civic to prove the power output of the setup. It was a very popular setup.

My personal car was street tuned at 800ft above sea level. It was never on the dyno but it was at 215whp on the edyno(yeah doesn't mean shit) about 4 tunes from the final revision.

When I was test and tuning I may have roll raced a bolt on G35 with around 280whp in "Mexico". We were neck and neck 60-170. Might be a video of this Mexican run in the internet ether ;)

So meh.

Shit..that's awesome. Nice gains for the money. Dammit..stop confronting my honda stereotypes with reality.

94boosted
09-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Leading up to the launch, I was imagining a Supra-esque car that was going to eat M3's for lunch on the track, laugh in the face of the GTR for electronics, leave the Mustang far behind on the drag strip, and snub Miata's at the autocross course... all for 20K.

I suppose based on this the only thing it really does is "snub Miata's at the autocross course" though I've also seen an FRS beat an M3 on the Castrol road course lol

I'll withdraw my contribution to this thread :(

BavarianBeast
09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
cobalt ss supercharged.

everyone was all hard over the civic-si when the cobalt would destroy it in every aspect. in fact, i think it was the fastest fwd car on the 'ring for a while. i think the fact that it was the cavaleir replacement gave it a bad name.

rage2
09-11-2014, 01:22 PM
So we went from a list of cars we don't personally like to a list of cars we personally like? :rofl:

Mitsubishi EVO X for me. Very underrated, by far the best handling AWD car on the market. Gets a bad rap for how expensive it is (at least in Canada) and that cheap interior.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-11-2014, 01:44 PM
I vote for the original SRT-4 in both the Overhyped and Underhyped categories.

When they first came out, a large contingent of people soiled their collective pants about how superawesome the turbo motor was and how crazy fast it was for the price, yadda yadda yadda. ZOMG STAGE 3 WITH A WARRANTY

Nowadays people are like "Meh, it's just a fucking Neon with a shitty interior" even though they're still pretty quick and dirt-cheap.

Sugarphreak
09-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Hallowed_point
09-11-2014, 02:07 PM
^I vote for overhyped with the SRT4 neon. I owned one for about a year and it really didn't do much for me with full bolt on's and a tune with the stock turbo (maybe this is why?.) Terrible drag car as it was difficult to launch and get a decent 60 feet on street tires. It was fun for what it was but it was a half baked car imo. I made a lot more power for a lot less money in my old LS1 camaro.

MalibuStacy
09-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
cobalt ss supercharged.

everyone was all hard over the civic-si when the cobalt would destroy it in every aspect. in fact, i think it was the fastest fwd car on the 'ring for a while. i think the fact that it was the cavaleir replacement gave it a bad name.

HHR SS???? I might be wrong but this is also underrated

TheStigz
09-11-2014, 02:20 PM
2000's Pontiac Grand Prix GTP SC.
Catching JDM fanboys off guard since its introduction :love:

ercchry
09-11-2014, 02:21 PM
lexus LS isnt loved nearly as much as it should be... one of the few ultra luxury sedans that isnt scary to own out of warranty

Perfect Dark
09-11-2014, 02:30 PM
I may be a little biased but I agree with the Legacy GT/Spec B. Perhaps they weren't much of a steal right off of the showroom floor but to be able to pick up a used 05-07 for $13k-ish is very good value for your dollar.

A stage 2 Leggy will get you right around stock STi numbers or higher which is nothing to sneeze at. The Spec B has the same engine but you also get the upgraded Bilstein suspension and a 6 speed transmission. Sure it's a little more coin but totally worth it (if they made a wagon version of the Spec B I'd be driving it right now).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark
I may be a little biased but I agree with the Legacy GT/Spec B. Perhaps they weren't much of a steal right off of the showroom floor but to be able to pick up a used 05-07 for $13k-ish is very good value for your dollar.

A stage 2 Leggy will get you right around stock STi numbers or higher which is nothing to sneeze at. The Spec B has the same engine but you also get the upgraded Bilstein suspension and a 6 speed transmission. Sure it's a little more coin but totally worth it (if they made a wagon version of the Spec B I'd be driving it right now).

I owned a GT years ago and my best friend owns a Spec B right now, they are so easy to slap some mods on and make good power. Fairly reliable too with cheap repairs and parts, and nobody really suspects them other than the people who know what they are.

I wish my WRX was as spacious.

Darkane
09-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Shit..that's awesome. Nice gains for the money. Dammit..stop confronting my honda stereotypes with reality.

Yeah. The K series is the LS motor of the 4 cyl world.

Hell there's companies with K crate motors, and I'm talking serious power.

Kmod sells crate engines in 2.4L guise that will do (dyno proven lots) 300whp on pump.

They've done as high as 330whp on race gas if I recall.

That's stupid power from 4 cylinders.

thetransporter
09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
1988 buick park avenue

Fantastic, solid car.

Inzane
09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TheStigz
2000's Pontiac Grand Prix GTP SC.
Catching JDM fanboys off guard since its introduction :love:

But surely a one-trick pony.

BavarianBeast
09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
^ I'm not sure I'm following. Are you talking N/A numbers? because the new 2.0T AMG engine puts out 355 ponies.

AMFH403
09-11-2014, 04:30 PM
^ I'm not sure I'm following. Are you talking N/A numbers? because the new 2.0T AMG engine puts out 355 ponies.

Cool, you can read a brochure. He is talking about N/A.

clem24
09-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Mentioned before but one step further: the 05-09 Legacy GT Wagon especially with 5MT. You know it's under-hyped when they are sought after on the used market.

The ST204 Celica. People dismissed this car, but I drove one and to this day I'd say it was easily one of most fun. Plenty of power, seating position was awesome, and the shifter felt like a dream. One of the few cars that I would totally love to buy now, if only I could find one that's low mileage and not rusted to shit.

Second Generation (02-08) Tiburon V6 GT. Grips and goes like hell. Magazines panned it, except for Top Gear, which gave it really good reviews (season 3 I think??).

I'd put the Integra Type R on the list. It took a while for people to recognize this car as being as of the best handling cars of all time. It never sold like hot cakes, and not because it was produced in limited numbers (i.e. IIRC you could actually walk into the showroom and buy one). And now they are sought after.

And of course the AE86.

Perfect Dark
09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Mentioned before but one step further: the 05-09 Legacy GT Wagon especially with 5MT. You know it's under-hyped when they are sought after on the used market.

Like I said I am a bit biased haha...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/frododapug/PHOTO_20140429_173040_zps12a26694.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/frododapug/media/PHOTO_20140429_173040_zps12a26694.jpg.html)

Darkane
09-11-2014, 06:01 PM

N/A yes.

People are now making over 1000whp with the K boosted.

D__
09-11-2014, 07:55 PM
EVO X

8th Gen Civics

bulaian
09-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth
Evo 8

Sugarphreak
09-11-2014, 08:24 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
09-11-2014, 08:39 PM
^ Most people were put off with the Hummer logo or the 5 cylinder engine, the larger 6 cylinder version was just as bad for reputation. I personally can say there were a lot of poor part sourcing and design with that generation of truck along side its "cousin" Colorado. It was capable but never as durable as its Japanese counter parts. On paper its good but thats where it ends IMO.

It's a super niche vehicle for sure.

That said the 4Runner is my choice for underrated. You pay out the ass but get a very capable machine that keeps its resale and can off road in any trim. One of the few remaining full frame SUV's out there.

Sugarphreak
09-11-2014, 08:46 PM

gpomp
09-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Cobalt SS/TC
8th gen Civic Si
Honda Fit
Evo X

Redlined_8000
09-11-2014, 10:46 PM
I might say the E55 AMG is a bit under hyped. When it launched in 2003 it was the worlds fastest 4 door sedan with 469hp and 516tq. With so many E classes running around these cars are hard to spot and relatively rare too. But one hell of a performer. Ive seen some on Kijiji pop up with upwards of 200k kms and still running strong.

corsvette
09-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I want an H3 now!

haggis88
09-11-2014, 11:19 PM

Yeah. The K series is the LS motor of the 4 cyl world.

Hell there's companies with K crate motors, and I'm talking serious power.

Kmod sells crate engines in 2.4L guise that will do (dyno proven lots) 300whp on pump.

They've done as high as 330whp on race gas if I recall.

That's stupid power from 4 cylinders.

I love a K24 frank...my buddy had one in an EP3, all stock parts (think it was a UKDM Accord Type-S bottom with an A2 head) and he put out 248whp with a K-Pro map.

My Honda guy back home built a K26 stroker into an MB chassis Civic, i'll need to find you a video, it was just crazy!

roll_over
09-12-2014, 01:13 AM
No gd3? Sugarphreak tisk tisk

Sugarphreak
09-12-2014, 06:21 AM

killramos
09-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Alright just for kicks, (NA) gen 1 Honda Fit.

Was rebodied for the worse way to soon after it was brought out. With sport trim it was a great looking car (though it scraped more than my M Sport BMW :eek: )

With the manual trans it was a ton of fun to drive. Great in the snow. Sharp interior. Great usability due to the way the seats fold etc.

Buy an 08 and you even get traction control!

Also fantastic on gas. And it was a Honda. Doubt the thing will ever die.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-12-2014, 07:18 AM
They never had a 6 cyl engine.... they had the 3.5L inline 5 which was later replaced by the more powerful 3.7L (still an inline 5) in 2007, then the addition of a V8 option came along in 2008.

It was related to the problematic I6 found in Trailblazers which I think are the same family engine.

At heart I'm a GM guy but working on them really put me off of them simply because of the cost measures they go to. They'd have really good products if people were willing to pay the prices required to make them last.

Sugarphreak
09-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Nismorphed
09-12-2014, 11:03 AM
G37S

DeleriousZ
09-12-2014, 11:06 AM
The new Q50? I dunno if there's enough hype for a gtr engine in a super luxury car lol. I guess we'll have to see it released.

bituerbo
09-12-2014, 11:45 AM
RE: the Neon/SRT4, I had a 2000 Chrysler Neon ($1000) that I put full SRT4 suspension on ($200) and rallycross'd/commuted the shit out of that thing up to 320,000k. At least 80,000k was with a dry oil pan. I'd say they are solid cars.

Overhyped: AWD, especially in dry conditions.

finboy
09-12-2014, 01:00 PM
The e36 hatches...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/61/db/2b61db49398e6492347ef6ef58d7a7ee.jpg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1996-bmw-318ti-e36-supercharged-m-technic/1016422296?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

clem24
09-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Man this thread is turning into the secret desire car thread.. I don't think people are getting the point of the thread LOL.

1.) Car was universally panned by experts/media/owners for it's performance, etc..
2.) Car in 1.) was actually a very good car
3.) No EVO in history was an under-hyped car, especially when the first versions were homogolations (I think).

I think if your car was modified, it doesn't count. If the car had good fuel economy, doesn't count.

And the E36 hatch was and is an unloved slow ass piece of shit. :D

Redlyne_mr2
09-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by finboy
The e36 hatches...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/61/db/2b61db49398e6492347ef6ef58d7a7ee.jpg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1996-bmw-318ti-e36-supercharged-m-technic/1016422296?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

woah I think I want that car for sale haha.

sneek
09-12-2014, 01:56 PM
We need some Yang to counter the Ying of the other thread; what are some of the most under-hyped cars out there?

Any hidden gems that often get forgotten about?

My own short list:

[b]Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/ Manual Transmission
Lots of horsepower, looks great (for a Honda), nice slick feeling transmission and Reliability. If I didn't live somewhere where it snows in September I'd seriously consider one as a DD.

Subaru Legacy GT B-Spec
The Legacy GT is already an under-rated car, and the B-Spec IMO was one of the best Subaru pacakges out there. It had the SI-Drive system (which changes the driving mode for the car), plus stiffer suspension and better bolstered seats. It also came with tons of luxury goodies.

I would take the 4 Cyl Accord with MT over the 6 Cyl. I have had both as a daily driver and the 4 banger just feels much more nimble. I imagine that is just because of the additional weight. Plus it is kind of fun revving the nuts off of it. You won't win any races but it is enjoyable to drive

+1000 on the B- Spec. It is probably the nicest looking Subaru in the last 10 years.

clem24
09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by sneek
+1000 on the B- Spec. It is probably the nicest looking Subaru in the last 10 years.

As a CAR vs. other cars in general, the Spec B was underhyped, but compared to the regular Legacy GT, it easily belongs in the overhyped category. Same engine, more shifts from the 6 speed that didn't make it any quicker and if anything slower to 60, and "inverted struts" that were still soft and didn't actually make the car handle better. Also, before the 08 facelift, it actually had really ugly 18" wheels.

So along these lines, another under-hyped car is the Mazdaspeed6. No one knows anything about it.

DeleriousZ
09-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Speed6's are too heavy IMO. At least they feel too heavy. I've driven one a number of times and always come away from it feeling underwhelmed. 3600lbs is way too heavy.

With an intake and exhaust on it they certainly make the right sounds though, and they come with a k04 turbo from the factory vs most of the competition's k03 sized turbo's. (which has had some 'smoking' problems by some owners.

Graham_A_M
09-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Buick Regal GS- Never read a bad review of one. Turbo, AWD (in later models) slick styling in and out, great handling. Sucha deal. yup, I just adore mine. Insanely tunable too, 425hp with just bolt on's for under $2k? Yes please

ddduke
09-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ

**Flame Suit On**

I'm continually impressed by what these things can do on an Autocross course and even the track.

Originally posted by Shlade
Focus ST

I don't think you guys read the title cause those were some of the most hyped up cars of the last 5 years. People are still hyping up the ST to this day.

not that there's anything wrong with those cars but all there is is hype around them.

never
09-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Speed6's are too heavy IMO. At least they feel too heavy. I've driven one a number of times and always come away from it feeling underwhelmed. 3600lbs is way too heavy.

With an intake and exhaust on it they certainly make the right sounds though, and they come with a k04 turbo from the factory vs most of the competition's k03 sized turbo's. (which has had some 'smoking' problems by some owners.

I had one for a while and modded it. I didn't find it to be heavy except after driving an '04 WRX STi on a 2 week road trip. Felt like a pig when I got back into it!

But then again I may not be the best judge...up until recently I was driving a 4250 lb performance sedan that I didn't find to be too heavy. I guess the magnetic ride suspension and excessive HP helped overcome the weight.