PDA

View Full Version : Electricity and Gas - Cochrane

snoop101
09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
So we are taking possession of our new house end of Oct. The builder advised we should start contacting the utility people. We lived in condo's for years now and just paid strata. When lived at home when I was young it was in a small town and we had one electrical company. I went online to search Cochrane. There is over 20 companies!!

Is there some that are better than others? Do I need to call and get a better deal or is it pretty standard across the board?

Darell_n
09-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm on contract for power and gas from Direct Energy with budgeted monthly payments. No complaints and switched from Atco gas a few years back. The government website makes shopping easy and I don't think you will find any deals starting a new account. The saving start once you can play one company against another with via customer retentions and be carefull with cancellation fees. (No penalties is best)

snoop101
09-12-2014, 08:39 PM
So I should be careful about signing for 5 years. Direct energy has 5 year contract but comes with a Nest for free.

spike98
09-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Enmax easy max for gas/power and the town for water/sewer.

mr2mike
09-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Yes get the nest... $250
Over pay for gas for 5 years.... >>$250.

Go buy a nest if you want one.

snoop101
09-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Yes get the nest... $250
Over pay for gas for 5 years.... >>$250.

Go buy a nest if you want one.

See that's the thing. Is locking in for 5 years good or bad. One guy said to watch it for a year and then make a change, but at the same time if prices go up then you are locked in for 5 years.

I agree though I rather save money then get something for free.