PDA

View Full Version : Conditions on a new build. What to put in?

juwantme
09-15-2014, 09:06 AM
bumping an old thread...I was reading through this and was wondering when you go through a builder and build a brand new home what conditions aside from financing, and trying to have a condition on sale of existing home do you guys put on?

benyl
09-15-2014, 09:24 AM
You bumped a thread from 5 years ago in very different market conditions. The thread also has nothing to do with what you are asking.

Did you a favor and started your own thread.

avishal26
09-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Financing is generally the only condition you can put on a new build these days

Most builders won't accept a 'sale of existing home' condition - just like you wouldn't accept that condition for the sale of your home in this market.

Not sure if builders accept a home inspection condition on a new build - sometimes a home inspection even on a new build can find things but the builders will argue that everything gets taken care of through their warranty process in the first year anyway.

Masked Bandit
09-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Trying to get conditions placed on a new build agreement is a steep, steep uphill battle. Don't kid yourself, they hold all the cards.

nickyh
09-15-2014, 12:15 PM
the only thing you *may* be able to hold back on is for any seasonal work to be completed in the Spring if you are a winter build. ie: Stucco.

However, most conditions need to be agreed upon before you sign the purchase contract and if you use their lawyers to close etc, good luck getting that through.

Really, as said above, it's their playground and their rules.

JamMan23
09-15-2014, 12:23 PM
As others have said, other than financing, you won't get any conditions.

The only exception:

If you use their realty people (I believe Jayman does this), you may get them to condition it on them selling your current place, but personally I wouldn't want them selling my current place anyway.

Seasonal holdbacks are common, and if the builder is a member of the Alberta New Home Warranty program it is expected from them, but that is different than sales agreement conditions.

Sugarphreak
09-15-2014, 12:38 PM

ctochico
09-30-2014, 12:48 PM
I just bought a new infill build, and I put home inspection, finance, review of the construction drawings, new home warranty documents. and it went through

so they don't hold ALL the marbles...

Masked Bandit
09-30-2014, 12:50 PM
An infill scenario is A LOT different than track housing in a generic suburb.

roopi
09-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ctochico
I just bought a new infill build, and I put home inspection, finance, review of the construction drawings, new home warranty documents. and it went through

It doesn't sound like you built a home. It sounds like you purchased a new house. If so your conditions are normal for any new home purchase.

ctochico
10-01-2014, 04:59 PM
OOPS..MY BAD.MISREAD

speedog
10-01-2014, 06:03 PM
OOPS..MY BAD.MISREAD

Ugh.

Caps lock. My bad.

Really?

JordanLotoski
10-01-2014, 06:20 PM
I would subject to review and approval of plot plan..Its very important to see how the home will be plotted on your property. As well as financing

Getting them to lock down a certain possession would be near impossible as there are to many factors that could slow the build process down.

In order for your to maximize the value of your current home make sure you time your build right.

If your working with a realtor who does new build consulting they could ensure your headed in the right direction

All the best

ctochico
10-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Ugh.

Caps lock. My bad.

Really?

damn rights! my work requires caps lock..so its on most of the time!

REALLY!

Sugarphreak
10-02-2014, 12:43 PM

gwill
10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Sugarphreak is absolutely right in one area but 100% wrong in another that its hilarious. First you can not just amend or make changes to a builders contract. A builders contract will always favor them but that's to be expected. If you try and change something they will throw your offer in the garbage or just reject it. Also keep in mind some builders are extremely strict while others are flexible and understanding, It's important to know this before submitting your offer. Your builder representative will typically be frank and honest if they know your interested in a home and will cut through any BS if you are direct and honest. Ask them how flexible the office is, will they negotiate or not negotiate, will they give you a possession date you want or force you to move in when they say, will they let you make a change to a spec house in the midst of it being finished? They will do all they can for you if their company allows but this varies greatly between builders. Too many times i see buyer think they will dictate terms and that's not the case. A builder has no desire to jump through hoops when they know they will sell the home to the next person who walks through the doors.

If you want to waste time low balling, changing contracts and making 100 changes they will not even waste their time.

Attention is in the details so its important to understand what it is your buying and what it is your signing. Spending a little extra time understanding this will prevent 95% of any problems you may face. Have your builder representative go over architectural drawings(Big one with room sizes!!!) and have them take you through room by room of the house your buying discussing whats included and whats extra.

In the end you can add condition of finance, condition of inspection, specific move in date(if spec homes complete), condition of lawyer review, or whatever the heck you want but every builder will handle things differently while others may say flat out no. Any good builder representative can guide you through all this. Also with a builder as long as you have 1 condition the sales not firm so you can cancel for any reason. So you don't really need to add numerous conditions.

In the end if a builder is super busy they won't accept a conditional sale of your home or if they do they add a shot gun clause. Other builders may allow a condition of inspection but others may handle it differently. For example they may allow the inspection but won't commit to specific timelines in fixing them. They will treat it as any other normal warranty claim that can take a few days or maybe a few weeks to arrange a fix. In this case you would need to decide like any regular home if its a minor issue or one worth walking away from.

Buying a new home is extremely easy going if your expectations are properly set. For example buying a spec house with a quick possession has different things to consider then picking a lot and customizing from top to bottom. Also different are condo sales or condo town homes vs singe family.

Sugarphreak
10-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Rocket1k78
10-09-2014, 02:48 PM

I would go back and add that you want 2 different home inspections lol

I have some buddies that are "Infill builders" and believe me they have no right building.

Like Bandit said, infills are a complete different ball game because now you're dealing with mainly new builders(literally) who have no idea how this works and who don't have the pushing power like the big boys who control the suburbs.

And i have to agree with most when they say you're not going to get much in terms of conditions(with the big guys atleast).

gwill
10-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

They finally drew the line when I tried to write in a cinder block garage with door for my parking stall, haha. I think I tired to reconfigure my unit into a 2 bedroom at one point, and they refused, lol.

So yes, they don't like to change them or add amendments, and they do everything possible not to touch it. That said, when it comes to contracts they are a two way street. Don't be bullied into signing something you don't agree with.

Curious who the builder was you worked with and when you say amendments are you speaking about specific upgrades Or you changed specific terms of your builder contract. Those are 2 completely different things. I've seen and helped with tons of custom changes but removing and dictating terms of the actual house shouldn't happen. That just opens up way too much liability that most don't have any desire to deal with.

Sugarphreak
10-11-2014, 11:42 PM