PDA

View Full Version : The downsides of being rich

Pages : [1] 2 3

Manhattan
09-16-2014, 08:17 AM
What do the beyond ballers think...

Unless you were born rich, at some point in your life you’ve probably dreamed about becoming wealthy.

You know, ridiculous wealth, winning-the-lottery kind of money, with visions of lifestyles of the rich and famous, mansions with manicured lawns and massive swimming pools, personal islands, expensive sports cars, private jets and, well, loads of extra money just to do whatever you’d like whenever you’d like to.

What happens to those lucky few people for whom dream becomes a reality? We turned to question-and-answer-site Quora for some advice on whether getting rich is worth it.

True colours

New money brings change — sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Carol Philo watched her poverty-stricken parents become millionaires when a printing company they owned and ran out of the family’s spare bedroom took off. With the profit, came an obsession for more and more.

“My mom became addicted to the money….Nothing was ever enough,” Philo said, and over the years, family relations eventually dissolved. “Having seen the entire gauntlet, I would say that getting comfortable is worth it. Getting rich is not.”

Murat Morrison couldn’t agree more. He made a mint when he sold his trucking company in the late 1990s. One thing he learned will stay with him forever, he said. “Money buys comfort,” Morrison said. “Comfort is not happiness or satisfaction. I felt as empty as a drum for the next few years. While it is good to be comfortable it is more satisfying to be happy.”

Wealth also tends to bring out people’s true colours, added Paul Buchheit. “In general, it makes people more of whatever they already were,” he said. “If you're an a------, getting more money will probably make you more of an a------. However, if you have purpose and meaning in your life that goes beyond chasing the golden carrot, money can give you the freedom to focus on the things that truly matter to you.”

For Stu Sjouwerman, that purpose was continuing to work. “I worked hard for 15 years and sold my software company. Walked out with an eight-figure number, and was retired for a… whopping five days. You need to have a GAME TO PLAY,” he wrote. “I started my new company immediately and felt a whole lot happier.”

Living with the downsides

The downsides of being rich can outweigh the benefits. “The first thing you are thinking reading that, is, ‘cry me a river.’ You are not allowed to complain about anything, ever,” when you’re wealthy, wrote one anonymous respondent. “Since most people imagine being rich as nirvana, you are no longer allowed to have any human needs or frustrations in the public eye. Yet, you are still a human being, but most people don't treat you like one.”

Other downsides stretch to new parameters with friends and family. “Most people now want something out of you, and it can be harder to figure out whether someone is being nice to you because they like you, or they are being nice to you because of your money,” the anonymous respondent continued. “If you aren't married yet, good luck trying to figure out (and/or always having self-doubt) about whether a partner is into you or your money.”

Still, money brings perks

Despite the downsides, there are benefits to having more money, most respondents said.

“Being rich is better than not being rich, but it's not nearly as good as you imagine it is,” said the anonymous respondent, who reported having $15m after selling a tech start up. “First, one of the only real things being rich gives you is that you don't have to worry about money as much anymore. There will still be some expenses that you cannot afford (and you will wish you could), but most expenses can be made without thinking about what it costs. This is definitely better, without a doubt.”

And Christopher Angus, who said he made his money on the sale of four small start-ups, said “I’d rather have money than not, as the last seven years as someone with money have allowed me freedoms and experiences that many people won't see and do in their lifetimes. For example, one year I took 25 vacations and at other times I’d spend $20,000 on a Saturday night out.”

Higher expectations

With the added wealth also comes reset expectations. “Everything is relative…The first month you drive the Audi, or eat in a fancy restaurant, you really enjoy it,” the anonymous respondent also wrote. “But then you sort of get used to it. And then you are looking towards the next thing, the next level up. And the problem is that you have reset your expectations, and everything below that level doesn't get you quite as excited anymore.”

Angus, who said he has had more money than he’s known what to do with since his mid-20s, said boredom quickly ensued. “I found that having enough money [where] nearly any material object or status symbol is attainable has removed the excitement and desire for things I always wanted but couldn't afford before I became successful. One Porsche and everything else wasn't nearly enough and over the next three years I bought another five Porsches as well as other Supercars,” Angus said. “I became addicted to buying these symbols to attract attention and get people to want to spend time with me because of what I had and what I could give them.”

A sense of isolation

Another self-made individual, worth more than $20m, said wealth has been a real burden. “I made it big in my mid-30s,” the anonymous tech entrepreneur wrote. “I wanted to get rich and I did it. But I actually feel maybe it's not worth it. A slower path to wealth might be a lot healthier to my career and to my life in general.”

The catch? “It's impossible to give up the money,” the tech entrepreneur wrote. “Being wealthy is probably not worth it. But once you get there, you want to stay there forever.”

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20140718-is-getting-rich-worth-it

lilmira
09-16-2014, 08:27 AM
What's the upsides of being poor?

Masked Bandit
09-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Seems to be just a bunch of common sense stuff. There is always another level to achieve, there is no real finish line. Being happy & content is not dependent on being wealthy.

I have a theory that pretty much everyone in Western society has the same amount of stress in their lives. While the wealthy business man doesn't worry about whether or not he can make his next mortgage payments, he worries about how the board meeting is going to go and whether or not his trophy wife is screwing the neighbour. Is his kid at private school hooked on coke? On the other hand, they guy working entry level construction stresses that making rent this month will be tight and his kid has to wear second hand clothes, but come 5:00 PM on Friday, he sits down with his family & neighbours for a beer & BBQ in the back yard and he is King until Monday morning. Happy or not is a possibility for each of them.

ArjayAquino
09-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

Feels that much better if you become rich :rofl:

Masked Bandit
09-16-2014, 08:34 AM

The saying "ignorance is bliss" can have a lot of truth to it.

A790
09-16-2014, 08:44 AM
I love when I read articles like this because it clearly demonstrates how disillusioned some people can be.

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Feeling sorry for rich people especially those born into wealth? Nope. :poosie: Get over yourselves.

Awww daddy only gave you a down payment for a 300 K condo? And only a base model 3 series? Tough life.

revelations
09-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Seems to be just a bunch of common sense stuff. There is always another level to achieve, there is no real finish line. Being happy & content is not dependent on being wealthy.

I have a theory that pretty much everyone in Western society has the same amount of stress in their lives. While the wealthy business man doesn't worry about whether or not he can make his next mortgage payments, he worries about how the board meeting is going to go and whether or not his trophy wife is screwing the neighbour. Is his kid at private school hooked on coke? On the other hand, they guy working entry level construction stresses that making rent this month will be tight and his kid has to wear second hand clothes, but come 5:00 PM on Friday, he sits down with his family & neighbours for a beer & BBQ in the back yard and he is King until Monday morning. Happy or not is a possibility for each of them.

:werd: Success (and therefore happiness IMO) is not necessarily tied to money.

Having enough money to not worry about basic needs is a good start however.

BigMass
09-16-2014, 09:02 AM
a lot of those problems are problems of poor people as well. The difference is poor people don't have that safety net. When they're depressed they cant stay at home or spend $200 on a shrink. When they have health problems they cant afford the best doctor. When their kid has a disability they can't afford a nanny or that special care that makes life a little easier to bare. Poor people can feel empty as well. Just having "activities" and having to struggle every day to get by earning minimum wage does not automatically give someone an existential "meaning" in their lives. Sure, rich people can get used for their money and people act nice to them just because of their wealth. Poor people can be abused and used as slaves by corporations that would toss them in a dumpster the second their salary doesn't make sense anymore on their balance sheet. So while the rich person might get "used", poor people get "used" all the time. The entire article is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read that could have just been summed up as "humans have problems regardless of their economic status". Poor people still have it worse, end of story.

jwslam
09-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Feeling sorry for rich people especially those born into wealth? Nope. :poosie: Get over yourselves.

Awww daddy only gave you a down payment for a 300 K condo? And only a base model 3 series? Tough life.
Not in that sense... but like they have no ability to fend for themselves and make their own money. When they run out of the inheritance, it's only downhill from there. i.e. you think a rich kid knows how to fend for himself if someone beats him up? The only thing he's got is that paid bodyguard and that ain't gonna last a lifetime if he doesn't know how to make money.

Rich kids also don't understand consequences. Biggest example: Bieber. He may not have been born wealthy but he really didn't earn all that money he has.

Manhattan
09-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Eating out at any place used to be a treat and I'd be looking forward to it all day. Now there are times when I'm eating out for weeks at a time and food all tastes the same. I'm not excited and it all just tastes the same.

Tik-Tok
09-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Was thinking about this yesterday after reading about the newlywed couple in Ontario that won the 50 million (ages 32 and 30)...

I can't even comprehend that much money suddenly in my hands, let alone at such a young age. It's not like you can just "retire", as the one guy said, "You need to have a GAME TO PLAY".

I don't have too many close friends, and it isn't like I would start paying them to be my entourage, so they'd all still be working a normal work week grind. While my wife was out shopping for ridiculously expensive purses or whatever, I could see myself still sitting around posting on Beyond :rofl: (albeit probably from a beach front house)

Originally posted by Manhattan
Eating out at any place used to be a treat and I'd be looking forward to it all day. Now there are times when I'm eating out for weeks at a time and food all tastes the same. I'm not excited and it all just tastes the same.

Hahah, I'm not even close to being rich (or even "well off"), but every time I sit down at a non-ethnic restaurant, half the menu is stuff my wife makes at home, and probably better, so I can't be bothered to order it.

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Not in that sense... but like they have no ability to fend for themselves and make their own money. When they run out of the inheritance, it's only downhill from there. i.e. you think a rich kid knows how to fend for himself if someone beats him up? The only thing he's got is that paid bodyguard and that ain't gonna last a lifetime if he doesn't know how to make money.

Rich kids also don't understand consequences. Biggest example: Bieber. He may not have been born wealthy but he really didn't earn all that money he has.

That's true. I deal with them everyday at work lol. It's hilarious the small bubble most of them live in. Zero problem solving or social skills beyond flaunting wealth. I blame the parents for not forcing their kids to save for their own down payment, car, schooling etc. Coddling = a little fuck up like Bieber.

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
a lot of those problems are problems of poor people as well. The difference is poor people don't have that safety net. When they're depressed they cant stay at home or spend $200 on a shrink. When they have health problems they cant afford the best doctor. When their kid has a disability they can't afford a nanny or that special care that makes life a little easier to bare. Poor people can feel empty as well. Just having "activities" and having to struggle every day to get by earning minimum wage does not automatically give someone an existential "meaning" in their lives. Sure, rich people can get used for their money and people act nice to them just because of their wealth. Poor people can be abused and used as slaves by corporations that would toss them in a dumpster the second their salary doesn't make sense anymore on their balance sheet. So while the rich person might get "used", poor people get "used" all the time. The entire article is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read that could have just been summed up as "humans have problems regardless of their economic status". Poor people still have it worse, end of story.

THIS x10.. :thumbsup: I grew up with working class parents and I wouldn't have had it any other way. No hand outs.

spikerS
09-16-2014, 09:16 AM

You know, I think there are a lot of upsides to it.

I went to the Philippines, and I saw a lot of what we would consider poverty there. People living in little shantys, dirty clothing, all that. You could tell, they didn't have much of anything, but I can't recall one of them that didn't have a smile on their face, a joke to tell, and would give you the shirt off their backs.

I left the beaten tourist path when I was there. I met some pretty rough people too, but on the whole, when I met anyone, my money wasn't good there, and I was welcomed with open arms, cold beer (or Emperador, a locally made brandy) and amazing food. (I always left a few thousand pesos behind secretly though as thanks.

Being poor also brings a lot less stress, and that can be worth millions.

Manhattan
09-16-2014, 09:16 AM

That's true. I deal with them everyday at work lol. It's hilarious the small bubble most of them live in. Zero problem solving or social skills beyond flaunting wealth. I blame the parents for not forcing their kids to save for their own down payment, car, schooling etc. Coddling = a little fuck up like Bieber.

I don't understand it when parents save up to pay for their children's tuition at an expensive out of town university especially if they're average to below average students majoring in something completely useless. Especially in the US where tuition at a private university can be upwards of $30K/year. Like it really matters where your spoiled kids go for their communications degree.

rage2
09-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
I don't understand it when parents save up to pay for their children's tuition at an expensive out of town university especially if they're average to below average students majoring in something completely useless. Especially in the US where tuition at a private university can be upwards of $30K/year. Like it really matters where your spoiled kids go for their communications degree.
After 18 years, I'd pay to get the kids out of the house too. :rofl:

Disoblige
09-16-2014, 09:33 AM
In the end, life is what you make it to be, rich or poor. Money gives you opportunities. It's not the end all be all.

Dave Chappelle on Letterman and they talk about how he walked away from 50 mill. It starts at 9:25. I found this interview quite interesting:
RDUeJyDbJ1Y

Skyline_Addict
09-16-2014, 09:34 AM
The only downside of being rich is not being richer, lol.

lilmira
09-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Being rich has the option of being poor, that's a scientific fact.

Redlyne_mr2
09-16-2014, 09:51 AM
The happiest times were when I didn't have a lot of money and all I'd do is ski and live off 60/month.

max_boost
09-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Having money is equated to having a super power. Too bad many dunno wtf to do with it because they don't even know themselves. Ironman, batman, etc all questioned their identity at some pt haha however Being poor is no fun, can't do anything, can't buy experiences, can't buy emotions, not much to look forward. The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose. No growth, no opportunities, no thanks.

phreezee
09-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Dave Chappelle on Letterman and they talk about how he walked away from 50 mill. It starts at 9:25. I found this interview quite interesting:
RDUeJyDbJ1Y

I LOL'ed :thumbsup:

Ztk9t_m1FpY

Sugarphreak
09-16-2014, 10:22 AM

oz388
09-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Being rich, at least you can buy back the freedom and time (40 hrs/week), which are the most important asset for a person. Then u can decide how to utilize the additional 40 hrs/week of freedom and time with ur $$$. To me, even doing nothing feels better than working hard for a little pay cheque and pay half of it to Tax! :banghead:

I don't mind to trade my "poor happiness" with those "rich headaches". :nut:

ercchry
09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Free time

If you are poor at some point in your life, you can appreciate what you have later on. If you start well off, getting rich is hardly a change and if feels meaningless.

You need to taste the bitter to enjoy the sweet

you do need someone with money in your life though, or its tough to actually figure out wtf to do with the cash once you have it. i've pretty much seen it all, and to me the most well adjusted rich people didnt come from being dirt poor. the people that worked EXTRA hard to make it tend to be the ones that just cant deal with the "doing nothing" aspect of being rich and often dont last long in retirement. but the ones that were perhaps not silver spoon fed, but had the ability to get a taste of the good life while coming up tend to know how to handle the money once its flowing freely.

for me im slowly coming to the realization that life will eventually be pretty good. but im scared shitless that im going to fuck it up. there is something to be said about the security that comes with mediocrity

ExtraSlow
09-16-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm never going to be "Filthy" rich, but I can see a relatively clear path to getting into the 1%.
That's not actually very impressive on beyond.ca, I realize, since it appears many of you fine gentlemen are in the 0.1%, but I'm happy with my trajectory.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Pretty famous quote that sums up my feelings on the matter.

Originally said by Beatrice Kaufman in 1937
I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. Rich is better.

Sugarphreak
09-16-2014, 11:45 AM

ercchry
09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I have no aspiration to be rich... I just want to have enough cash to do what I love

That said, the hardest part about being well off is most of my friends are not. So when it comes to doing stuff with them, you run into "Uhh, I can't afford to do that" a lot. That part sucks, because there isn't much in life that is better than doing stuff with your friends.

very true, but it does keep that money growing instead of spending it :rofl:

if the day ever comes when i have serious dough to blow. im probably going to have to take all my friends on an epic trip. charter a plane and just fill it up with everyone :bigpimp:

Xtrema
09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Rich enough to not worry about future but not wasting my life/time to earn it.

max_boost
09-16-2014, 11:55 AM
I have no aspiration to be rich... I just want to have enough cash to do what I love

That said, the hardest part about being well off is most of my friends are not. So when it comes to doing stuff with them, you run into "Uhh, I can't afford to do that" a lot. That part sucks, because there isn't much in life that is better than doing stuff with your friends. You sound like you don't have a lot of friends lol

ExtraSlow
09-16-2014, 11:59 AM
It's funny what being born wealthy can do to people. I know a family, and while I don't ahve hard data on thier net worth, I have looked at the companies and assets they own, and I figure it's somewhere north of $500 million, possibly up to $1billion.
This is legitimatley rich by any standard.

I'm friends with the kids, who are both in thier thirties now, and one of them is the most down to earth person you could imagine. Thoughtful, helpful, works thier ass off at a real career and drives a very average car.
The other kid, just the most stuck up prick you could imagine, and has a very flashy car that he drives around, revving the engine, doing all the drugs he can get his hands on. It's shocking that they were raised in the same household.

Anyway, I know for sure, one of those kids is going to turn out just fine, and the other is going to be a total disaster.

Sugarphreak
09-16-2014, 12:08 PM

max_boost
09-16-2014, 12:12 PM
How many friends should I have? At the very least a few more at your level lol :rofl: Do we need to have a 1% hang out meet once a month for ya Phreak :devil:

Sugarphreak
09-16-2014, 12:13 PM

ercchry
09-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
At the very least a few more at your level lol :rofl: Do we need to have a 1% hang out meet once a month for ya Phreak :devil:

i was so tempted to make some sort of beyond illuminati joke after your first comment

Sugarphreak
09-16-2014, 12:25 PM

max_boost
09-16-2014, 12:40 PM
It's always a good time to be a man. Age/money/experience, do you really want to be 21 forever living at home and going skiing everyday? haha Enjoy the different things life brings you at various stages. Don't complicate it. Money is the best superpower of all. :bigpimp:

infamous
09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
the quote that I live my life by is the following; and it applies quite well....

"Life has no objective meaning, except for which each person chooses to impose on oneself."
-unknown

If your happy making minimum wage working at mcdonalds, your happy. period. end of story.

but then there are those of us who need to do better. coming from nothing makes you appreciate everything you have, and when it does come time for that nice vacation or car or whatever, you know how hard you worked to earn it. way too many stories of rich kids with problems, but the same can be said of poor kids as well. They just end up in jail, not on the news with their lawyer lol.

jwslam
09-16-2014, 01:06 PM
I'd rather not, rich people are dicks, lol
I'm generally a dick, but by no means does that make me rich. :rofl:

Disoblige
09-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Money is the best superpower of all. :bigpimp:
No it's not lol.
The ability to turn invisible is.

rx7boi
09-16-2014, 01:42 PM

No it's not lol.
The ability to turn invisible is.

Kevin Bacon? Is that you?

n1zm0
09-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I went to the Philippines, and I saw a lot of what we would consider poverty there. People living in little shantys, dirty clothing, all that. You could tell, they didn't have much of anything, but I can't recall one of them that didn't have a smile on their face, a joke to tell, and would give you the shirt off their backs.

I left the beaten tourist path when I was there. I met some pretty rough people too, but on the whole, when I met anyone, my money wasn't good there, and I was welcomed with open arms, cold beer (or Emperador, a locally made brandy) and amazing food. (I always left a few thousand pesos behind secretly though as thanks.

I just got back from SE Asia last week, from one country where $1CDN = 3 in their currency, then to another which was even cheaper at $1CDN = 6 in their currency. You walk around feeling like a millionaire (literally in Indonesian Rupiah) , eat out all meals of the day which are all always amazing, everything is dirt cheap for us, service is nothing short of amazing and you're not supposed to tip there, drive around the backroads to visit my family in Msia showing my wife all the shanty illegal houses (none of my relatives live in those areas but I'm glad she got to see those areas), the illegal immigrant indonesian/filipino kids selling cigarettes and postcards etc just happy to have even a couple cents, we gave them the equivalent of $5 CDN (15 RM - you can buy a decent bowl of noodles for about 2.50 RM for example) and they ran to their house yelling 'we got so much money for you mom and dad!'.

She just couldn't believe it, everyone was just so nice in public and welcoming, the service is efficient and they don't ask for anything extra at all, I mean I'm used to it from visiting there every so often but she just thought how lucky we are to have a good life here, my aunt said a very important thing to her though, is that they're used to this life, for generations it's the status quo usually, they don't have anything to be miserable about because it's just life to them with their given situation, that we can't really compare because our costs of living are just not the same.

01RedDX
09-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Manhattan
09-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
A friend you can spend hours with, just doing nothing and reminiscing about the old days. A woman who truly loves you for you, unconditionally. A child's unconditional love, the smile on their face when they say "I love you daddy." Your dog running up to greet you after a long day's work. To them, you are the ultimate superhero. They don't give a shit how much money you have.

And the ultimate, and most important thing you have that money can't buy: health.

This thread is supposed to be about how much it sucks being rich. Not how great it is to be poor. :whipped:

icky2unk
09-16-2014, 03:03 PM

No it's not. The most meaningful experiences in life cannot be bought with money.

A friend you can spend hours with, just doing nothing and reminiscing about the old days. A woman who truly loves you for you, unconditionally. A child's unconditional love, the smile on their face when they say "I love you daddy." Your dog running up to greet you after a long day's work. To them, you are the ultimate superhero. They don't give a shit how much money you have.

And the ultimate, and most important thing you have that money can't buy: health.

What about if you had more money in each of those scenarios to go to Europe with friend and spend nicely to do whatever ur hearts desire. To take the women who loves you to all the most beautiful destinations in the world. To bring ur children to disneyworld and legoland.

You don't think that would make one more happy than the other?

01RedDX
09-16-2014, 03:16 PM

A790
09-16-2014, 03:16 PM
I was happy at 30k/yr and was happy at 200k/yr.

At 30k I was happy with my relationships but stressed about rent/etc. At 200k I was not stressed about money but was constantly worried about being seen as a braggart/etc. whenever I bought something nice.

Moral of the story? The fuck! Money doesn't make you happier, but it does facilitate happiness.

Been on both ends, I'll take (well, continue to take) money over no money any and every day of the week.

jwslam
09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk
What about if you had more money in each of those scenarios to go to Europe with friend and spend nicely to do whatever ur hearts desire. To take the women who loves you to all the most beautiful destinations in the world. To bring ur children to disneyworld and legoland.

You don't think that would make one more happy than the other?
Oh yea. Going to legoland/harry potter world/disneyland in July because that's the only time kids have off school, and still having to line up 5 hours in blazing sun because money doesn't get you to the front of the line nor does it stop you from getting heat stroke, nor stop your kids from complaining while in line, and then having to drive/walk/shuttle to get back to the nearest hotel. Hmm... Whether you're rich enough to do that or just barely well off enough to do that after you've saved up for the last 10 years for this one trip, still only ends in the 2 minutes takes.

Disoblige
09-16-2014, 03:24 PM
^^ wow that was difficult to read.

ercchry
09-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Oh yea. Going to legoland/harry potter world/disneyland in July because that's the only time kids have off school, and still having to line up 5 hours in blazing sun because money doesn't get you to the front of the line nor does it stop you from getting heat stroke, nor stop your kids from complaining while in line, and then having to drive/walk/shuttle to get back to the nearest hotel. Hmm... Whether you're rich enough to do that or just barely well off enough to do that after you've saved up for the last 10 years for this one trip, still only ends in the 2 minutes takes.

if you were actually rich you'd just close down the park for the day, fly in and out on your private jet on any weekend of your choice.

or you know... hire a nanny to deal with the kids and piss off the california adventure for a "wine tasting" and just get loaded :rofl:

jwslam
09-16-2014, 03:40 PM
^^ wow that was difficult to read.
sorry for the ESL :rofl:
Guess I didn't go to a $40k/yr private school

Originally posted by ercchry
hire a nanny to deal with the kids and piss off the california adventure for a "wine tasting" and just get loaded :rofl:
So the upside to being rich is not having to deal with your kids when you go on vacation? Then they may as well have stayed at home? :nut:

icky2unk
09-16-2014, 03:51 PM

Ever heard of front of the line passes? Kids being kids will happen whether you are at Disneyworld or the Calgary zoo.

roopi
09-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Magic Johnson disagrees.

rage2
09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry, but money does get you everything you just mentioned.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/vip-tour-services/

Highly recommended if you can afford it. The only way to Disneyland.

Seth1968
09-16-2014, 04:15 PM

For the most part, I disagree.

Diet is a major factor in human health. The poor have to resort to the most cheap and toxic food, which means canned food, packaged food, and often no fruits and vegetables.

Anyway, being financially poor or rich is subjective. The emotional state of either is not.

BavarianBeast
09-16-2014, 04:20 PM
The only downside is dealing with all the poor people scoffing at you because you are well off and they are not. :rofl: :drama:

01RedDX
09-16-2014, 04:36 PM

GotRice?
09-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Poor vs Rich

one side you have the love of your life and you guys are living today but so poor that you're constantly stressing about putting food on the table and paying your rent. Constantly arguing and fighting in these stressful situations. How happy would you be?

or

You're filthy rich, have a smoking hot wife. You guys rarely talk and she only loves you for your money. How happy would you be?

ercchry
09-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by GotRice?

You're filthy rich, have a smoking hot wife. You guys rarely talk and she only loves you for your money. How happy would you be?

depends on how hot of a mistress i have :rofl:

flipstah
09-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

:werd: I love going back to the Philippines and whenever we head there, we bring back goodies for our families and to our neighborhood. It's nice weather all the time so you don't have much to hate on anyways haha.

But back to the article; they talk about how being rich sucks but they'd rather have money.

You can talk about how crappy the rich lifestyle is but at the end of the day, you'd rather be rich than poor.

It's the lesser of two evils.

Type_S1
09-16-2014, 05:07 PM
I feel poor people are just bitter in this thread. I've been extremely poor and now I'm well off. I can tell you, now that I have money I just get to do more awesome things more often. People are people no matter where they are in life, they all have friends and family and a job, having money just let's you do way more exciting things in life and buy cooler things to share with your family. Ferrari instead of corolla, trip to Europe instead of camping in the tent trailer, Harry Rosen instead of walmart, in ground pool in the back yard instead of blow up pool, sirloin instead of rump roast, sobeys instead of superstore ...etc etc etc.

For those saying people with money have more problems, you should try having money to see what it's like. For those of you who have money and are complaining, you can always donate to my ferrari fund if you think less money will make you happier!

msommers
09-16-2014, 05:08 PM

As much as we all joke about it, there would be a breaking point no matter how hot she was.

Of course before that point it'd be fucking fantastic :rofl:

flipstah
09-16-2014, 05:09 PM

Who said you just needed one? :rofl: :bigpimp:

cvrKzmkdBTI

msommers
09-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Flipstah: Wolf of Philippines

PS there's a volcano erupting in your Motherland.

max_boost
09-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
I feel poor people are just bitter in this thread. I've been extremely poor and now I'm well off. I can tell you, now that I have money I just get to do more awesome things more often. People are people no matter where they are in life, they all have friends and family and a job, having money just let's you do way more exciting things in life and buy cooler things to share with your family. Ferrari instead of corolla, trip to Europe instead of camping in the tent trailer, Harry Rosen instead of walmart, in ground pool in the back yard instead of blow up pool, sirloin instead of rump roast, sobeys instead of superstore ...etc etc etc.

For those saying people with money have more problems, you should try having money to see what it's like. For those of you who have money and are complaining, you can always donate to my ferrari fund if you think less money will make you happier! :werd: :bigpimp: :thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm happy with being middle class..an $800 suit works just fine for me. As does domestic beer, a couple road trips a year and getting out of debt completely hopefully by 2015. I don't need a Bluetooth glued to my ear and a BMW to feel good about life.

Seth1968
09-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by A790
I was happy at 30k/yr and was happy at 200k/yr.

At 30k I was happy with my relationships but stressed about rent/etc. At 200k I was not stressed about money but was constantly worried about being seen as a braggart/etc. whenever I bought something nice.

Moral of the story? The fuck! Money doesn't make you happier, but it does facilitate happiness.

Been on both ends, I'll take (well, continue to take) money over no money any and every day of the week.

I've been on both ends as well.

The poorest of which I was sleeping on the floor of a loft and going to food banks, the richest being I can eat at McD's any time I want:D

The elephant in the room of the so called "rich" (be it won or inherited), is that despite a comfortable living until death, they still want more.

Greed.

It's why the politicians live and drink in castles, while we live and drink in caves.

01RedDX
09-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Being a shallow pretentious twat obsessed with money is what being a calgarian is all about right??? Who has the most "income" properties, expensive cars, balling Instagram account living large lol

01RedDX
09-16-2014, 05:46 PM

icky2unk
09-16-2014, 06:15 PM

First of all, this is obviously wrong.

Second, you don't need to list all the advantages of being rich. Nobody, not one person here, is arguing that it's better to be poor. You obviously missed the part where this thread is about the downsides of being rich. (Hint: you clicked on the thread title to get here.)

As for the rest of your shallow and condescending post, you couldn't come off as any more of a douche if you had vaginal nozzle on top of your head.

How is it shallow to want nicer things? If you worked hard so you could buy something you desire and you were wildly successful who are you to judge.

If someone always wanted to have a beautiful garden with highly exotic flowers that cost a fortune to maintain would anyone be calling them shallow? Everyone has different hobbies and wants, some people can afford to buy what they desire some can't. However, just because one person likes something more than another doesn't make them shallow. I personally don't see the need for fancy shoes but hey if someone wants to spend a grand on some fancy shoes go for it.

The rest of his post was just highlighting what having more disposable money could give you access to.

icky2unk
09-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Being a shallow pretentious twat obsessed with money is what being a calgarian is all about right??? Who has the most "income" properties, expensive cars, balling Instagram account living large lol

How about being a butt hurt douche? I can only imagine you were sitting on occupy Calgary.

Cos
09-16-2014, 06:20 PM

dawwgy
09-16-2014, 06:29 PM

How about being a butt hurt douche? I can only imagine you were sitting on occupy Calgary.

Hallowed_point to a tee!

Seems he just lurks these forums hating on those better off than himself. And then makes excuses as to why when people call him out. :drama:

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 06:29 PM
How about being a butt hurt douche? I can only imagine you were sitting on occupy Calgary. yeah dude, they had awesome wifi from my tent. You sound like the angry one. Now go make some more mad skrilla to pay for your toys like a good little drone.

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by dawwgy

Hallowed_point to a tee!

Seems he just lurks these forums hating on those better off than himself. And then makes excuses as to why when people call him out. :drama:

I love GTRs. Can we be friends now? :zzz:

A790
09-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Now go make some more mad skrilla to pay for your toys like a good little drone.
Oh boy, Arash 2.0 is here. :banghead:

ExtraSlow
09-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Why does every thread about wealthor income end with bullshit like this?

rage2
09-16-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm happy with being middle class..an $800 suit works just fine for me. As does domestic beer, a couple road trips a year and getting out of debt completely hopefully by 2015. I don't need a Bluetooth glued to my ear and a BMW to feel good about life.
You realize that this IS a car forum full of car enthusiasts, and the people here earning an above average income are going to buy nice cars because they're car guys and girls. It's unfair to lump all of us together with people that buy cars for the wrong reasons. Like someone else mentioned, if this was a botany forum, and we were into flowers and gardens, we would easily be labelled as humble and modest.

Hallowed_point
09-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by A790

Oh boy, Arash 2.0 is here. :banghead:

Haha. No..I moved out of moms basement 10 years ago. And I have little interest in conspiracy theories

FraserB
09-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Hi there! You must be new to Beyond!:rofl:

flipstah
09-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Flipstah: Wolf of Philippines

PS there's a volcano erupting in your Motherland.

That's not really a big deal. The lahar that comes afterwards are the most damaging part.

I've been to the villages covered by them. It's depressing. :(

Masked Bandit
09-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

It's a touchy subject regardless of the setting, internet forum, kitchen table of a family home or the evening news.

Type_S1
09-16-2014, 08:03 PM

First of all, this is obviously wrong.

Second, you don't need to list all the advantages of being rich. Nobody, not one person here, is arguing that it's better to be poor. You obviously missed the part where this thread is about the downsides of being rich. (Hint: you clicked on the thread title to get here.)

As for the rest of your shallow and condescending post, you couldn't come off as any more of a douche if you had vaginal nozzle on top of your head.

I think you missed the whole point of the post...I am saying it doesn't matter how much money you have at all...people are all the same and lead similar lives just on varied levels of wealth. There is no downside to being rich...because you would be the same just with the means to have more fun and nicer things in your life. Actually, the only downside I find is my broke family members calling me and asking to "lend" them money...it sucks to tell them not a fking chance!

My post wasn't condescending either you butthurt loser. It was simply comparing how I live now compared to before, minus the ferrari...but hopefully that is on it's way. P.S. If I had a vaginal nozzle on my head, it would definitely be designer ;)....:drama:

Sugarphreak
09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

codetrap
09-16-2014, 09:01 PM
As for the rest of your shallow and condescending post, you couldn't come off as any more of a douche if you had vaginal nozzle on top of your head. That is fucking awesome.. lol

flipstah
09-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by rage2

You realize that this IS a car forum full of car enthusiasts, and the people here earning an above average income are going to buy nice cars because they're car guys and girls. It's unfair to lump all of us together with people that buy cars for the wrong reasons. Like someone else mentioned, if this was a botany forum, and we were into flowers and gardens, we would easily be labelled as humble and modest.

I want to meet a slutty botanist. :love:

killramos
09-17-2014, 10:00 AM

I'm sorry, but I have to say something....

The whole Bluetooth headset in your ear is so overrated it isn't even funny

Whew, glad I got that off my chest

I thought that was just brown people?

Hello, my name is killramos.

And I am a self obsessed entitled prick who obviously comes from old money and i drive a BMW just to piss off the plebs at the bus stop on my way to work. I clearly have no real friends, and my wife is a hooker.

Just for kicks i am also a card carrying member of the New World Order.

Sound about right according to this thread?

:whocares:

flipstah
09-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1

For those saying people with money have more problems, you should try having money to see what it's like. For those of you who have money and are complaining, you can always donate to my ferrari fund if you think less money will make you happier!

Pfft, O'Connors>Harry Rosen.

flipstah
09-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Disoblige
09-17-2014, 10:33 AM

Sure, sure. But it's painfully obvious that, aside from the things I've mentioned, you also can't buy class.
Haha, this makes me laugh but only few would probably understand why I find this funny.

ZenOps
09-17-2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.wikihow.com/Pretend-You-Come-from-a-Rich-Family

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/rich-people-who-pretend-to-be-poor-are-obnoxious

It is possible to live on $3 Cdn a day? Rice and beans...

flipstah
09-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://www.wikihow.com/Pretend-You-Come-from-a-Rich-Family

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/rich-people-who-pretend-to-be-poor-are-obnoxious

It is possible to live on $3 Cdn a day? Rice and beans...

<$100 a month? Holy shit.

I think it's doable.

rage2
09-17-2014, 11:08 AM
This poor guy is getting more action than max_boost.

bmav517MQJc

ercchry
09-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Pfft, O'Connors&gt;Harry Rosen.

you don't shop at holt? :rolleyes:

....peasant :rofl:

flipstah
09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

you don't shop at holt? :rolleyes:

....peasant :rofl:

LOL Holt's merchandise are catered for rich soccer moms and mistr- oh.

Carry on. :)

max_boost
09-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2
This poor guy is getting more action than max_boost.

bmav517MQJc

Not just me, probably 99% of Beyonders too haha

rage2
09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Not just me, probably 99% of Beyonders too haha
You're the only baller I know, that's why I called you out specifically lol.