PDA

View Full Version : Brake Job, did I get hosed?

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 12:40 PM
I recently took my car in for regular maintenance and a brake service and fluid replacement.

I was called by the service advisor and he said my front brake pads needed to be changed. I told him go ahead and now looking at my invoice, I am seeing the following.

Brake Service + fluid replacement- $199
service all physical brake components including brake rotors, calipers and pads. Remove all rust and brake dust build up and lubricate applicable shim kits and sliders. Also perform any adjustments if needed
purge all brake fluid from systems, clean brake fluid reservior and refill system. please bleed out any and all air from system and road test.

Replace front brake pads + machine rotors - $278 labour
Replace front braike pads and machine rotors. Perform full brake service on the front brakes only. clean and lubricate all physical brake parts pertaining to front pads replacement.
Brake Pad set - $124.61
Shim Kit - 52.00

total: 454.61 for bake changing + 199 for the service and fluid replacement

seemed like i got hosed, perhaps someone in the industry can chime in?

hrdkore
09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
looks pretty standard at the stealerships.

ExtraSlow
09-16-2014, 12:58 PM
looks like you are getting charged twice for the "brake service" labour.

BavarianBeast
09-16-2014, 12:59 PM
looks fine to me

avishal26
09-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't think you got hosed.... sounds like you took it to a Lexus Dealer? (assuming its the car in your profile - 2011 IS250)

$450 seems a tad high for front brake pads replacement and machining rotors.. but for a dealership it is about right. Brake fluid flush alone is usually about $120 at most dealerships. On top of that, changing pads and machining rotors on front only would be about $400 at most dealerships.

What seems wrong to me is that they charged you for servicing the front brakes and on top of that changing out your front pads .... usually when you change the pads and machine rotors, you would clean all brake dust etc anyway - they should've only charged you for brake service on the rear brakes.... which should not be more than about $100...

I'm assuming you paid only $199 for the brake service + fluid replacement? not $199 + $199 in labour like the first part of your post implies.

Mind you when I say 'most dealerships', I'm considering 'luxury brands' Infiniti, Lexus, Acura etc., not Nissan, Honda etc.

Xtrema
09-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
looks like you are getting charged twice for the "brake service" labour.

This.

T&T Honda quoted front brake service for Civic, pad replacement to be just over $450 all in.

That said, I think standard rate for any shop is now $135/hr? Even at crappy tire.

dirtsniffer
09-16-2014, 01:10 PM
you got hosed for sure. so much overlap between those two services. the tech is laughing his way to the bank. Probably got paid 4 hours for something that took 1.

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 01:11 PM
would it still be 2 hours in labour even though they were already doing brake work? I would think this is maybe 15 mins as they were already bleeding brakes and 'servicing' the pads, rotors.

Tik-Tok
09-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Asian_defender
would it still be 2 hours in labour even though they were already doing brake work? I would think this is maybe 15 mins as they were already bleeding brakes and 'servicing' the pads, rotors.

Yes, they charge you whatever their book tells them is the standard hours.

If the book says 1 hour, and the guy is experienced and gets it done in 20 min., you still get charged 1 hour.

Aleks
09-16-2014, 01:32 PM
People always say Lexus is cheaper to maintain than BWM. I had my rear pads, rotors (new not machined) and sensors replaced at Calgary BMW for $480. This was least year on a car in the same class.

revelations
09-16-2014, 01:43 PM
^ How well do you think a Lexus compared to a similar model/level Beemer would do over a 5 year period?

The parts might be expensive for both, but BMW probably requires you to replace/inspect 2x as much. :dunno:

CapnCrunch
09-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Nissan quoted me $800 for new front pads and rotors on my old truck. It could have been a lot worse lol.

max_boost
09-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Just had my brakes done, new rotors, pads etc. on the Tribeca and it was $850. Any sort of mechanical work is $$$

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 02:46 PM
There must be a beyond that wants to do brake jobs in his garage for some extra money haha.

If your that beyonder, drop me a PM!

avishal26
09-16-2014, 02:51 PM
^ I will do it for ya but no warranty on work :nut: and it will probably take me a whole day haha :rofl:

G-ZUS
09-16-2014, 03:00 PM
There must be a beyond that wants to do brake jobs in his garage for some extra money haha.

If your that beyonder, drop me a PM!

For next time?

FraserB
09-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Yeah, pretty standard.

Try getting a truck serviced in Fort Mac lol, until I came up here I had NEVER heard of "mud time" as a charge. Your same service, plus an oil change and tire rotation would run about $1200 for a half ton truck. And they didn't even wash it for me.:whipped:

Exact reason I do all my own maintenance. Takes a tiny bit longer, but you can usually get better parts and you build up a tool collection as you go.

revelations
09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
As much as I love working on vehicles, brakes are the one thing that can very easily be messed up.

Years ago I had CT work on the brakes of my old Mazda B2200 - long story short - I ended up replacing the entire front braking system 3 months later myself at U wrench. The brakes were leaking at the calipers (both sides) and the discs (CT machined) were out so bad you could see it on a stand.

Even my Civic, the axial runout for a new disc is supposed to be 0.005". The hubs had a fair bit of material deposited on them and I had to mark and sand off the high parts before new discs - otherwise the pedal could vibrate at speed pretty good.

I doubt that most home mechanics would bother to measure this. I have a dial indicator around from my days of wrenching jet engines at Air Canada.

CapnCrunch
09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by revelations
As much as I love working on vehicles, brakes are the one thing that can very easily be messed up.

Years ago I had CT work on the brakes of my old Mazda B2200 - long story short - I ended up replacing the entire front braking system 3 months later myself at U wrench. The brakes were leaking at the calipers (both sides) and the discs (CT machined) were out so bad you could see it on a stand.

Even my Civic, the axial runout for a new disc is supposed to be 0.005". The hubs had a fair bit of material deposited on them and I had to mark and sand off the high parts before new discs - otherwise the pedal could vibrate at speed pretty good.

I doubt that most home mechanics would bother to measure this. I have a dial indicator around from my days of wrenching jet engines at Air Canada.

I think if the average DIY'er was blind, missing both arms, and was 4 years old they would still be 10 times more qualified than the best CT tech in the entire country.

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

For next time?

Well my rotors will probably have to be done soon as it was just pads.
Have to think about my rear brakes too. At this rate it going to be another 1000 to get those done

J.M.
09-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Well my rotors will probably have to be done soon as it was just pads.
Have to think about my rear brakes too. At this rate it going to be another 1000 to get those done

They should installed new rotors at the same time as the pads? Seems like double the amount of work for something that could have been done all at once.

bourge73
09-16-2014, 04:46 PM
I would say do a quick search. Ravi @ Minute Muffler would have hooked you up just like the many times he has me and many other Beyonders. Not sure why these threads keep popping up. I mean really, its brakes pretty easy. :dunno:

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

They should installed new rotors at the same time as the pads? Seems like double the amount of work for something that could have been done all at once.

well I was told my rotors still had lots of life. I thought it was wierd too

spikerS
09-16-2014, 04:54 PM
usually, the cost difference is about the same to machine them as it is to just replace them with new ones... :dunno:

Next time, let me know, and I could have done it for you...

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
usually, the cost difference is about the same to machine them as it is to just replace them with new ones... :dunno:

Next time, let me know, and I could have done it for you...

Well next time I need brakes done I guess I'm calling you LOL

ExtraSlow
09-16-2014, 06:19 PM
I agree, particularly for someone who is doing thier own labour. Easier and often cheaper to replace rotors than fuck around getting them machined.

Mike09
09-16-2014, 07:59 PM
As a tech, Unless I know the vehicle is not prone to warped rotors/ brake pulsation I usually always recommend rotor replacement with brakes above 80,000km.
Sounds like a lot of overlap in labour that could simply be resolved by talking with the manager or advisors, as usually tech's quote both options and advisors try to sell both options together. And at a dealer they almost always can offer you 10% off brakes min. always ask!!!

Asian_defender
09-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike09
As a tech, Unless I know the vehicle is not prone to warped rotors/ brake pulsation I usually always recommend rotor replacement with brakes above 80,000km.
Sounds like a lot of overlap in labour that could simply be resolved by talking with the manager or advisors, as usually tech's quote both options and advisors try to sell both options together. And at a dealer they almost always can offer you 10% off brakes min. always ask!!!

So I'm assuming I could bring this forward to the service advisor? He was a great guy. It just seemed like I got dinged by computer labor hours

never
09-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Holy, that sounds like a lot...but then again I haven't ever had brakes serviced at a dealer though so I can't say for sure. I can say that I just did new pads and rotors, front and back, on my wife's Mercedes and it cost me about $300 (I think just a bit under because the total was just over $300 but I ordered parts for the other car at the same time).

shakalaka
09-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Well try $1200 a piece for each front rotor for the C63 and $800 a piece for the rear. Then around $500 or so for the pads depending on what you go with. And that's apparently just the parts. I dread the day I have to get a brake job on this car. I try to apply as little brakes as possible. lol

BerserkerCatSplat
09-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Well try $1200 a piece for each front rotor for the C63 and $800 a piece for the rear. Then around $500 or so for the pads depending on what you go with. And that's apparently just the parts. I dread the day I have to get a brake job on this car. I try to apply as little brakes as possible. lol

The $1200 rotors are just for the optional upgraded brakes, yeah? I was under the impression the "base" C63 AMG used a much cheaper standard rotor.

never
09-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Just don't waste your money on parts through the dealer...buy them elsewhere and save a ton.

It was the same deal with the V...brakes would be thousands through the dealer but ordering online could get everything for under $1000.

shakalaka
09-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

The $1200 rotors are just for the optional upgraded brakes, yeah? I was under the impression the "base" C63 AMG used a much cheaper standard rotor.

Yea those are for the C63's with the performance pack. These are two piece and what not. PP is awesome to have with the extra hp, big brakes and some other extras but the cost of the brake job sort of negates it. Regular ones are cheaper, although I am not sure by how much.

Originally posted by never

Just don't waste your money on parts through the dealer...buy them elsewhere and save a ton.

It was the same deal with the V...brakes would be thousands through the dealer but ordering online could get everything for under $1000.

I definitely don't plan to and have looked around on the forums a little and even the aftermarket ones are quite expensive. I am just hoping I don't have to replace the rotors until I own the car lol. When the time comes I will look into it properly I guess and at the end of the day may not have a choice! Should have researched this before buying the car although I doubt it would have made me change my decision.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Yea those are for the C63's with the performance pack. These are two piece and what not. PP is awesome to have with the extra hp, big brakes and some other extras but the cost of the brake job sort of negates it. Regular ones are cheaper, although I am not sure by how much.

Ah gotta pay to play as always, haha. Aftermarket rotors on Rockauto for the base C63AMG look to be around the $100 mark, but who knows what the quality on those is like.

Mike09
09-17-2014, 12:38 PM
ALWAYS bring it up if there any question. If they can't satisfy your concern and the manager cannot either then definitely go elsewhere!