PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Salt Bath

nj2Type-S
09-16-2014, 09:16 PM
hey guys,

have you used epsom salt baths to cut weight for any combat sport? how many days before the fight did you bathe in it? how many times a week did you take it? what were your weight loss totals?

i'm having a hard time cutting weight, and i just need to lose about 8lbs in a short period of time.

thanks!

fiveowed
09-16-2014, 10:21 PM
I have never heard of epson salts to cut weight, more of a recovery thing. The garbage bag in a sauna isn't working?

Unknown303
09-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Put on a bunch of heavy clothes and go for a run. A girl I know would do that to make weight for wrestling comps back in the day.. :dunno:

fiveowed
09-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
hey guys,

have you used epsom salt baths to cut weight for any combat sport? how many days before the fight did you bathe in it? how many times a week did you take it? what were your weight loss totals?

i'm having a hard time cutting weight, and i just need to lose about 8lbs in a short period of time.

thanks!

forgot to add, should try going for colon hydrotherapy that will knock off a couple pounds!

speedog
09-17-2014, 08:05 AM
hey guys,

thanks!
8 pounds in a short period of time - define 'short period of time'.

Have had three kids in wrestling for past 11 years (2 in varsity, one in senior high) and weight cutting is a part of that sport.

8 pounds (3.6kg) is not that much depending on your weight - probably at least half of that would just be water weight. Epsom salt baths work - used them for my daughter last year and she could drop a kilo or more with just one bath. My eldest used the rubberised sauna suits when running indoors - those would shed the weight as well. If the 'short period of time' is a week or more, then diet becomes a major factor - cutting weight can be quite dramatic for some, the coach at one of our wrestling programs could cut 12-15 pounds of water weight just during a heavy work-out but mind you, he wrestled at 96-97kg.

Hell, I've had kids go use the bathroom and drop almost half a kilo to make weight and my daughter (who wrestled 44kg last year) could cut 3kg in a week by just watching her diet, exercise and epsom salt baths. Also, the timing before a competition and your regimen will be factors to be considered as well - leaving it too late or eating improperly can create huge roadblocks when trying to cut weight - a huge cut on the last day before a competition can leave you with nothing in the tank on the day of the competition, have seen this many times at wrestling tournaments over the years.

EM2FTL
09-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Find a car with no power steering, put on a cheap racing suit that doesn't breathe well, head over to the 1A (Cochrane to Canmore) and drive with the heat on full blast for 4 hours, back and forth. I lost ~5lbs in one day doing the equivalent of that in an endurance race :)

mr2mike
09-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Probably means consuming epsom salts. I wouldn't advise on it but it would cause your body to purge for sure.

http://www.med-health.net/Drinking-Epsom-Salt.html

Sitting in the bath with it is for inflammation.
http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp

speedog
09-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Probably means consuming epsom salts. I wouldn't advise on it but it would cause your body to purge for sure.

http://www.med-health.net/Drinking-Epsom-Salt.html

Sitting in the bath with it is for inflammation.
http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/epsom-uses-benefits.asp
Nope, am pretty sure that nj2Type-S is truly talking about an epsom salt bath - note everything should be done with caution, this (link (http://www.odditycentral.com/news/sport-scientist-loses-24-pounds-in-24-hours-proves-rapid-weight-loss-is-possible.html)) would be an extreme.

ExtraSlow
09-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Mike, he used the word bath in both the title and the first post. Pretty sure he's talking about baths.

mr2mike
09-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Ok, I just haven't heard of losing any substaintal water weight by bathing in epsom salts. In theory, I can see it but there's faster ways.

Consuming them would be the faster track but like speedog and I stated above... EXTREME caution should be used and I would go so far as I am not responsible for the outcome.

BrknFngrs
09-17-2014, 09:58 AM
It's too bad that this is part of combat sports; really takes away from the sport itself and seems pretty unhealthy for the athletes.

speedog
09-17-2014, 10:06 AM
In moderation over the right amount of time, it's not unhealthy - it's when it done to the extreme over a very short time period that it can become dangerous. Problem is that it is a part of combative sports and even at the junior high school level - it's not actively promoted by any coach of most athletes and especially school aged kids but anyone actively involved in these types of sports can easily become aware of how to cut weight, plenty is shared in the locker rooms and on the sides of the mats.

lint
09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2008/01/18/how-to-cut-weight/

blitz
09-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
It's too bad that this is part of combat sports; really takes away from the sport itself and seems pretty unhealthy for the athletes.

I think the weigh in should be directly before the event, you step on a scale and then you step in the ring. Had a friend in highschool that competed in Judo, it seemed like they had to practically load his unconscious body onto the scale.

BrknFngrs
09-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by blitz

I think the weigh in should be directly before the event, you step on a scale and then you step in the ring. Had a friend in highschool that competed in Judo, it seemed like they had to practically load his unconscious body onto the scale.

Agreed; make the competitors responsible for knowing their weight and maintaining it. Effectively removes the opportunity to manipulate their weight classes.

DeleriousZ
09-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by lint
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2008/01/18/how-to-cut-weight/

Tim Ferris is an animal, such a cool guy.

nj2Type-S
09-17-2014, 12:11 PM
hey guys,

thanks for the responses! i'm stressing about this quite a bit, actually. i will be fighting in muay thai supposedly in october, but i think i may be moved to an event in november. i haven't fought in about 8 years. i can see my life changing quite a bit in the next couple of years, so i'd really like to go have another go at it.

i'm a pretty short guy; i'm only 5'4" in height. i was walking around 158lbs towards the end of august, and i'm now at 148lbs. i know i still have just about 2 months to train but at this rate, i'll probably end up at 140lbs.

i guess before anything, i should say that i train pretty hard lol. i don't just expect to show up and hope to do OK in the fight haha! i was lifting quite a bit of weights, so i got pretty bulky. it wasn't until just last month that i stopped lifting weights, so that's why i'm so heavy for my height.

i want to be just under 135lbs, but the lighter, the better. i don't know who i will be fighting yet, but i'd obviously rather fight somebody close to my height (my coach told the promoter that i can fight between 135lbs - 140lbs, but i want to fight at a lower weight class). i've read about epsom salt baths and how some people could lose approx. 7lbs from it. i'm pretty sure the weigh-ins will happen the night before fight day.

november is still a ways from today, but i keep injuring myself that it restraints me from training 100%. i just want to know if taking an epsom salt bath can be used as a "back up plan".

elite
09-19-2014, 12:23 AM
hey guys,

thanks for the responses! i'm stressing about this quite a bit, actually. i will be fighting in muay thai supposedly in october, but i think i may be moved to an event in november. i haven't fought in about 8 years. i can see my life changing quite a bit in the next couple of years, so i'd really like to go have another go at it.

i'm a pretty short guy; i'm only 5'4" in height. i was walking around 158lbs towards the end of august, and i'm now at 148lbs. i know i still have just about 2 months to train but at this rate, i'll probably end up at 140lbs.

i guess before anything, i should say that i train pretty hard lol. i don't just expect to show up and hope to do OK in the fight haha! i was lifting quite a bit of weights, so i got pretty bulky. it wasn't until just last month that i stopped lifting weights, so that's why i'm so heavy for my height.

i want to be just under 135lbs, but the lighter, the better. i don't know who i will be fighting yet, but i'd obviously rather fight somebody close to my height (my coach told the promoter that i can fight between 135lbs - 140lbs, but i want to fight at a lower weight class). i've read about epsom salt baths and how some people could lose approx. 7lbs from it. i'm pretty sure the weigh-ins will happen the night before fight day.

november is still a ways from today, but i keep injuring myself that it restraints me from training 100%. i just want to know if taking an epsom salt bath can be used as a "back up plan".

you can cut quite a bit of weight the night before your weigh in. Go buy some albolene and rub it all over yourself. It will open up your pores and make you sweat a ton in the sauna and hot tub. You will lose water weight so after your weigh in hydrate like crazy.

nj2Type-S
09-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by elite

you can cut quite a bit of weight the night before your weigh in. Go buy some albolene and rub it all over yourself. It will open up your pores and make you sweat a ton in the sauna and hot tub. You will lose water weight so after your weigh in hydrate like crazy.

thanks for the head's up. i'll look into that as well. just an FYI, i did try a 20 min bath in epsom salt last night and i lost 2lbs, lol. i weighed myself right before i got in the tub, and again immediately after drying off. i gained that 2lbs right away in the morning, though lol.