PDA

View Full Version : Macros/Training

GQBalla
09-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Starting up a thread on beyond, talk about whatever and to stop hijacking threads

From my experience it doesn't matter how much I work out/cardio if i want to slim down or shed fat it's all diet.

Current Macros right now (trying to cut)

Calories 1820
Carbs 60
Fat 60 (might raise fats)
Protein 260

Stats: 5'8
weight: 175 lbs

Body type: Ecto/Meso
Was always skinny fat, never was lean enough to see a 6 pack. My arms use to be the same size as my wrists. Small bone structure.

I just cut my carbs in half recently, so little less cals also

So far lifts are staying the same, fat is slowly coming down

Current 1RM
Bench 245 lbs
Squat 265 lbs
Dead 345 lbs

Recently been doing yoga, i found it helped out in my squats and deadlifts. I have sciatica and pretty bad hip mobility. Chiro and Yoga has helped for sure. Still trying to increase my squat and deads.

A790
09-17-2014, 08:51 AM
You may see a higher fat loss response by lowering protein somewhat (260g is pretty high for 175lb dude) to around 220g and raise fats to 80g. When I go low carb I rely on a higher fat intake to keep me energized.

Also, cheese. :poosie:

zipdoa
09-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Why do you eat so much protein? Do you love foamy piss and stinky farts?

GQBalla
09-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by A790
You may see a higher fat loss response by lowering protein somewhat (260g is pretty high for 175lb dude) to around 220g and raise fats to 80g. When I go low carb I rely on a higher fat intake to keep me energized.

Also, cheese. :poosie:

Cheese isn't for me. Yeah i was contemplating on lowering protein intake as well. Ill play with the carbs first and see how my body reacts before i adjust the protein.

Originally posted by zipdoa

Not sure why actually. My pee isn't actually foamy. Tell you the truth my farts don't stink. I do take digestive enzymes after every meal though. I'm actually not gassy usually unless after a heavy cheat.

thank you guys for the tips. Always looking to improve!

GQBalla
09-17-2014, 09:03 AM
I also don't calulate the veggies i intake, usually just boiled or microwaved frozen vegetables.

My fibre intake is quite high

Darkane
09-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Glueconegenesis? <sp>

My buddy has foamy piss because of kidneys. His kidneys are NOT bad from high protein but from some other issues he's had for years.

Normal bodies benefit from higher protein even if he can't use it to build muscle. The digestive process and breaking it down to glucose (see term above) helps during cutting.

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Does anyone find that they actually have MORE strength while cutting? Or is that just a state of mind kind of thing?

I'm cutting hard right now and my macros are:

Calories 1550
Carbs 90
Fat 75
Protein 130

Stats: 5'7
weight: 155 lbs

Body type: Meso

Trying to get body fat as low enough to get real definition for abs while not losing too much size up top :( Can't seem to build ANY mass in my calves no matter what lower body I do.

Set a new 1RM on bench just a week ago WHILE cutting...

Current 1RM
Bench 265 lbs
Squat 355 lbs (low bar)
Deadlift 405 lbs

GQBalla
09-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob
Does anyone find that they actually have MORE strength while cutting? Or is that just a state of mind kind of thing?

Calories 1550
Carbs 90
Fat 75
Protein 130

Trying to get body fat as low enough to get real definition for abs while not losing too much size up top :( Can't seem to build ANY mass in my calves no matter what lower body I do.

Current 1RM
Bench 265 lbs
Squat 355 lbs (low bar)
Deadlift 405 lbs

powerful asian!

mmmm last time i cut drastically i had my macros messed up, i was low carb and low fat yet high protein... i felt i was stronger never tried for 1rms though.

Milk2%
09-17-2014, 04:35 PM

Calories 1550
Carbs 90
Fat 75
Protein 130

Current 1RM
Bench 265 lbs
Squat 355 lbs (low bar)
Deadlift 405 lbs

You need to gain muscle before you get cutting results. Gaining involves eating 3 times your daily intake of calories otherwise your on a very painfully slow slope to gaining. Bulk then cut

On average you burn 700 calories in the gym for each hour, the body uses roughly 1200-1500 a daily for normal functioning. Your most likely wasting muscle

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%

You need to gain muscle before you get cutting results. Gaining involves eating 3 times your daily intake of calories otherwise your on a very painfully slow slope to gaining. Bulk then cut

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm bodybuilding, therefore baseball players out lift me at the gym. :poosie:

Also, I've heard the complete opposite of what you are suggesting many times, I've subscribed to the "be able to see abs first before bulking" theory.

A790
09-17-2014, 04:44 PM

3x calories, eh? Riiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

roll_over
09-17-2014, 04:48 PM
What are you talking about by 1rm for those who might not know

Milk2%
09-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm bodybuilding, therefore baseball players out lift me at the gym. :poosie:

Also, I've heard the complete opposite of what you are suggesting many times, I've subscribed to the &quot;be able to see abs first before bulking&quot; theory.

Funny guy. Funny cause its easier to put muscle on with a higher body fat percentage.

Also aiming for 4000 calories a day sounds about right if you're looking to gain as much as possible.....

Your lifts are not even close to impressive :thumbsup:

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
What are you talking about by 1rm for those who might not know

One Rep Maximum

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Funny guy. Funny cause its easier to put muscle on with a higher body fat percentage.

Also aiming for 4000 calories a day sounds about right if you're looking to gain as much as possible.....

Your lifts are not even close to impressive :thumbsup:

Lol, in no way did I ever say they were impressive. That being said, I find that the only ones that care about strength numbers are other guys so I'm more than happy with you being unimpressed. Not everyone is training to be or look like a giant Olympic lifter.

Milk2%
09-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Lol, in no way did I ever say they were impressive. That being said, I find that the only ones that care about strength numbers are other guys so I'm more than happy with you being unimpressed. Not everyone is training to be or look like a giant Olympic lifter.

Yeah cause Liao Hui and Pyrros Dimas are giant guys right? My guess is they fall under your category of looks?

Edit: lets not forget about Lu Xiaojun

mazdavirgin
09-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Yeah cause Liao Hui and Pyrros Dimas are giant guys right? My guess is they fall under your category of looks?

If all you are going to do it trash talk maybe you should post up your stats since you keep thumbing your nose at BananaFob for some reason. His lifts are pretty good considering how light he is and I assume not on gear...

He is clear into the advanced category for most of his lifts at his body weight if you look at strength standards. :dunno:

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

If all you are going to do it trash talk maybe you should post up your stats since you keep thumbing your nose at BananaFob for some reason. His lifts are pretty good considering how light he is and I assume not on gear...

He is clear into the advanced category for most of his lifts at his body weight if you look at strength standards. :dunno:

Not on gear.

I'm sure his stats are perfectly fine and impressive but he loves to cut other guys down in every fitness thread on beyond. No one really cares how much you can lift is my point.

Milk2%
09-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

How did I cut anyone down. I'm merely giving suggestions that can help your training out. His post suggested an increase of size yet he is calorie deficient, so I gave him a legitimate suggestion.
Also my numbers don't mean anything if I listed them or not. Not that I would but I can say my squat is close to 3 times bw. I'm close to 10% body fat :thumbsup: as well (also no 1/2 squats here. ATG only)

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 05:35 PM

How did I cut anyone down. I'm merely giving suggestions that can help your training out. Your post suggested an increase of size yet you're calorie deficient, so I gave you a legitimate suggestion.
Also my numbers don't mean anything if I listed them or not. Not that I would but I can say my squat is close to 3 times bw. I'm close to 10% body fat :thumbsup: as well (also no 1/2 squats here. ATG only)

Where are you reading that I suggested an increase in size? I specifically said I was cutting heavy... When I bulk I'm eating around 3000+ calories a day so I'm not disagreeing with you on bulking.

Milk2%
09-17-2014, 05:37 PM

Calories 1550
Carbs 90
Fat 75
Protein 130

Trying to get body fat as low enough to get real definition for abs while not losing too much size up top :( Can't seem to build ANY mass in my calves no matter what lower body I do .

Current 1RM
Bench 265 lbs
Squat 355 lbs (low bar)
Deadlift 405 lbs

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Sorry. Should've been more clear. That's a totally unrelated comment to my cutting heavy comment. I started my cutting diet/regimen last week. My quads and hams seem to gain decent size when I'm bulking but my calves won't grow.

A790
09-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Sorry. Should've been more clear. That's a totally unrelated comment to my cutting heavy comment. I started my cutting diet/regimen last week. My quads and hams seem to gain decent size when I'm bulking but my calves won't grow.
How hard do you train your calves?

I always said mine don't grow either. Then I mixed it up and beat the hell outta them. Six weeks later I'm 0.75" larger around the calves. It ain't much, but it's better than nothing.

BananaFob
09-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by A790

How hard do you train your calves?

I always said mine don't grow either. Then I mixed it up and beat the hell outta them. Six weeks later I'm 0.75&quot; larger around the calves. It ain't much, but it's better than nothing.

Apparently not hard enough. Lately. I've kinda given up on it and resorted to focusing my lower body workouts on just doing squats and front squats and sometimes mixing in calf raises. What did you do to have that increase and with what frequency?

max_boost
09-17-2014, 06:25 PM
I always stare at bananafob in the change room during hockey. :love:

A790
09-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Apparently not hard enough. Lately. I've kinda given up on it and resorted to focusing my lower body workouts on just doing squats and front squats and sometimes mixing in calf raises. What did you do to have that increase and with what frequency?
I broke my routine down into two "modes": power, and hypertrophy.

Monday-Tuesday: Upper/lower power
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday-Saturday: Chest & arms/lower body/back & shoulders, hypertrophy
Sunday: rest

Lower body power day:

Front squat 2x8
Deadlift 3x5
Seated calf raise 2x10
Hack squat 2x4,5,6
Lying leg curl 2x6,7
Leg extension 2x6,7

Lower body hypertrophy:

Squat 6x3 (focus on speed of motion for 3 reps, 6 sets)
Romanian deadlift 2x10
Hack squats 3x12
Seated leg curl 3x10
Seated calf raise 3x14
Standing calf raise 1x20 (slow, controlled motion, pause for 3-5 seconds at the bottom)
Leg extension 3x14,12,10

GQBalla
09-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Just hit legs tonight. I hit 245 x 5 at 4 sets. I'm scared to go heavier as sciatica is a bitch. Has me running scared with squats and dead lifts.

I have the same problem. My calves are strong but won't grow.....

ddduke
09-27-2014, 10:49 PM

How much protein do you really need for foamy piss?

I usually push 300g/day and have never had foamy piss. Rank fart though, daily.

Like today for protein I ate:

8 eggs for breakfast, probably 6-8 pieces of bacon and a small piece of ham

90 mins later ate a huge cup of cottage cheese with berries

90 mins later ate a rib eye and a bowl of prawns with a glass of milk

90 mins later ate 2 chicken breasts

90 mins later ate another 2 chicken breasts

currently eating another big bowl of prawns

have another big bowl of prawns waiting to be eaten before bed. Also, with each protein I eat a bunch of veggies. I've actually gotten to the point that if I go 2 hours without eating I feel like I'm gonna puke and get incredibly grumpy.

Darkane
09-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

How much protein do you really need for foamy piss?

I usually push 300g/day and have never had foamy piss. Rank fart though, daily.

Like today for protein I ate:

8 eggs for breakfast, probably 6-8 pieces of bacon and a small piece of ham

90 mins later ate a rib eye and a bowl of prawns with a glass of milk

90 mins later ate 2 chicken breasts

90 mins later ate another 2 chicken breasts

currently eating another big bowl of prawns

have another big bowl of prawns waiting to be eaten before bed. Also, with each protein I eat a bunch of veggies. I've actually gotten to the point that if I go 2 hours without eating I feel like I'm gonna puke and get incredibly grumpy.

That's close to 500g according to my calcs.

I would actually weigh and eat accordingly to 1.5g/lb and maybe ramp it to 2g/lb during cutting if you lose muscle easily.

You're doing yourself a disservice eating like that.

ddduke
09-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

That's close to 500g according to my calcs.

I would actually weigh and eat accordingly to 1.5g/lb and maybe ramp it to 2g/lb during cutting if you lose muscle easily.

You're doing yourself a disservice eating like that.

I'm at 210ish right now, so I need roughly 420 anyways, I don't think I'm quite at 500g but I may be. I'm working on the road right now and just preparing enough food while still making time for exercise is enough of a chore. I don't really have the patience to count and weigh everything. I feel and look great so that's all that matters to me.

JRSC00LUDE
09-28-2014, 09:50 AM
How do you even start accurately tracking diet numbers? I would like to do that just to understand them a bit better.

I don't control my diet and eat out 7-10 meals a week typically and have a pretty high intake on average of coffee and alcohol. Definite foamy pass haha, but all of my routine checkups and blood work, etc. show no abnormalities in any organ function, cholesterol, etc. All levels are top notch.

I'm 6'1" and walk around at 228lbs. I'm lean enough to show ab/back muscle definition but would like to build a bit more upper body muscle.

I don't care about size so much as I'm big enough. I'd just like to maximize the working out that I do, make the most efficient benefit from it if that makes sense.

Where does a guy start figuring out intake and what dietary changes can bring improvement.

A790
09-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
How do you even start accurately tracking diet numbers? I would like to do that just to understand them a bit better.

I don't control my diet and eat out 7-10 meals a week typically and have a pretty high intake on average of coffee and alcohol. Definite foamy pass haha, but all of my routine checkups and blood work, etc. show no abnormalities in any organ function, cholesterol, etc. All levels are top notch.

I'm 6'1&quot; and walk around at 228lbs. I'm lean enough to show ab/back muscle definition but would like to build a bit more upper body muscle.

I don't care about size so much as I'm big enough. I'd just like to maximize the working out that I do, make the most efficient benefit from it if that makes sense.

Where does a guy start figuring out intake and what dietary changes can bring improvement.

I use FitDay.com. After a while you just "learn" the macros of the foods you most commonly eat.

JRSC00LUDE
09-28-2014, 11:09 AM
I checked out the app, it's rated poorly. Do you use it and like it, or do you use the desktop version?

GQBalla
09-29-2014, 10:51 AM
fitday is okay, i like myfitness pal

A790
09-29-2014, 11:00 AM
I checked out the app, it's rated poorly. Do you use it and like it, or do you use the desktop version?
Desktop version.

GQBalla
09-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Macros from last week
Cals 1455
Carbs 23
Fat 47
Protein 229

Strength stayed the same, didn't push for PRs. I was a little more exhausted then usual, maybe because of the carb decrease.

Woke up leaner everyday. So that is a plus.

Felt really flat though. During the weekend after my cheat meal i actually looked noticeably bigger. My stretch marks turned red after about 2 hours after the cheat meal. Slept and that went away, woke up looking the same as i did during the week.

Ill see how this week goes before i make any more adjustments

heavyfuel
09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Like everything else in my life, I don't overcalculate/overcomplicate or use apps but I have seen strength gains and lost 15 lbs in less than 6 weeks and I'm on track to shed another 3lbs by Friday.

Soy milk shake with frozen berries for breakfast with 2 tbsp honey and 2 scoops GNC Isoburst Whey protein (45g serving = 40 g protein) and a banana. 1 week I add 1/4 cup Nature's Path cereal/grains, next week I don't. I don't want/care/give a fuck about "experts" opinions on protein powders, this shit works for me and that's that.

6 egg whites and a cup of coffee with breakfast.

I portion out 4 meals/day for the week. This week it's broccoli, mashed sweet potato, brown rice and salmon. I don't weigh them I just portioned out each meal to 1/3 of what I used to eat. Works fine.

I usually cook a couple dozen chicken thighs each week and keep em on hand, to snack on with tzaziki sauce made from scratch, fresh cucumbers low fat yogurt and spices.

Next week I'm thinking chicken, string beans, brown rice and sweet potatoes for my portioned meals and a beef roast and carrots for snacking.

Pre-workout I do a shake same as breakfast, minus the protein powder and I load up on carbs either with a small serving of plain brown rice or a bowl of nature's path with soy milk.

Breakfast- 7-8 am shake, 1 cup of coffee, 6 egg whites.
Meal 1 10ish
Meal 2 noon-ish
protein shake with whole milk
Meal 3 2ish
Meal 4 4-6 ish
Pre-workout shake, with some carbs, and a piece of chicken or other protein
Post workout, 1.5 serving shake (60g protein) with whole milk and 6 egg whites
Snacks throughout the day, protein or vegetables. The only thing I drink is water, milk, and soy milk. 1 cup of black coffee in the morning. I take fish oil and hydroxycut twice daily.

I feel that overcomplicating things can really cause more stress and potential failure since most of the time life isn't linear and you have to adapt. I think the main thing is discipline and common sense, I am focused to the point where I will go hungry before I put refined/processed/junk foods into my body.

Discipline is key whether you're winging it like I am or counting every last gram and calorie.

BrknFngrs
09-29-2014, 03:25 PM
What are you guys basing your "ideal" macros on?

heavyfuel
09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
What are you guys basing your &quot;ideal&quot; macros on?

"Ideal" would depend on your goal. Do you want to bulk up or slim down?

ddduke
09-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Like everything else in my life, I don't overcalculate/overcomplicate or use apps but I have seen strength gains and lost 15 lbs in less than 6 weeks and I'm on track to shed another 3lbs by Friday.

This.

I don't know how people can find the time to deal with all that shit. I figure as long as I have a large protein count, cut out most glutens, seriously limit my carbs to mostly veggies and hit weights for 2 hours a day then I'm good.

I've never had a problem with gaining weight or burning fat. If needed I make some minor adjustments like cut my food intake by 30% and run for 45-60 mins after my workout.

From what I've seen most (not all) of the guys who count their macros and have these elaborate workout plans look pretty mediocre and are twigs but are "strong" for their weight. Like your typical instagram wannabe fitness douche. I don't get why people take advice from men who look like women.

Since 2009 I've gone from 170lbs at about 9% bf with a 29inch waist to 210lbs at 12% bf with a 30 inch waist and I've never wasted my time with all this extra shit. If you're fat then eat less and run, if you skinny then eat more, lift more, don't run. It's not rocket science.

GQBalla
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM
What are you guys basing your &quot;ideal&quot; macros on?

&quot;Ideal&quot; would depend on your goal. Do you want to bulk up or slim down?

Like heavyfuel said

Originally posted by ddduke

If you're fat then eat less and run, if you skinny then eat more, lift more, don't run. It's not rocket science.

This but i found more gains/losses if i actually calculated my macros. Anyone can give you a base line to follow but everyones different. I gain very easily yet to lose i have to go into a pretty extreme caloric deficit and keep my diet at least 90 percent on point.

Just from me figuring this out though, i actually found i can gain muscle/fat quite easily at 2100 calories. If i didn't lift or do cardio i would just get fat off 2100 calories a day. A lot of people can actually cut on 2100 calories.

BrknFngrs
09-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Agreed that it depends on a persons goals; more so was just wondering if you guys were relying on some app, a basic calculation, etc.

GQBalla
09-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Agreed that it depends on a persons goals; more so was just wondering if you guys were relying on some app, a basic calculation, etc.

me personally i weigh everything i eat that isn't a cheat meal.

then i enter the weight of whatever food into myfitnesspal. I used it religiously for almost a year? I eat the same thing always unless for a cheat meal so i don't enter it into myfitnesspal all the time unless i change something. Still weigh everything though.

The hard part I think is the sauces/oil people use while cooking. Makes it harder to calculate. So pretty much all my food is plain unless its zero calorie sauce or herbs/spices.

BavarianBeast
09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and see the results I want.

Works for me.

GQBalla
09-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Works for me.

Jealoussss

KRyn
09-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

me personally i weigh everything i eat that isn't a cheat meal.

then i enter the weight of whatever food into myfitnesspal. I used it religiously for almost a year? I eat the same thing always unless for a cheat meal so i don't enter it into myfitnesspal all the time unless i change something. Still weigh everything though.

You have weighed / tracked your macros for an entire year? Jesus, are you absolutely shredded or what?

heavyfuel
09-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Works for me.

You're also prolly under 30, right?

BavarianBeast
09-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Yeah, 25.

It's nice until you want to put on weight.. It doesn't matter if I eat 3 fruit roll ups a day or 5000 calories a day in camp.. I'll see the same gains at the end of the day, for me it mostly comes down to training.

GQBalla
09-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

You have weighed / tracked your macros for an entire year? Jesus, are you absolutely shredded or what?

lol nope, worked with a few online coaches and they all assumed i was cheating on my diet. None would cut my calories down to where i am at right now and im finally losing fat. I'm decently sized for being chinese though ill say that. Never really trained for power though. Built for show

Though i can gain 10 pounds in one day if i eat whatever i want in a day. Most of it is water though.

I do get regular blood work and all my doctor says is I'm in normal ranges of everything. I keep thinking I have some sort of thyroid issue but he never said anything.

JRSC00LUDE
09-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Works for me.

This is pretty much me also. I would just like to tweak diet to see if I would put on a bit more muscle, knowing what to tweak is what I need to figure out. I've been the same for years, weight never changes by more than two pounds and I just eat/drink whatever I want.

GQBalla
09-30-2014, 08:50 AM

This is pretty much me also. I would just like to tweak diet to see if I would put on a bit more muscle, knowing what to tweak is what I need to figure out. I've been the same for years, weight never changes by more than two pounds and I just eat/drink whatever I want.

increase carb intake and keep protein to your body weight and see how you respond

heavyfuel
10-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Here we go again, leave it to me to find a way to fuck up 4 meals/day for 1 week lol

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/20141002_095143_zpse0610464.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/2500calgary/media/20141002_095143_zpse0610464.jpg.html)

GQBalla
10-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Looks delicious.

Eating for gains

chathamf
10-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Here we go again, leave it to me to find a way to fuck up 4 meals/day for 1 week lol

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/20141002_095143_zpse0610464.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/2500calgary/media/20141002_095143_zpse0610464.jpg.html)

Will all of that last good in the fridge all week? Always wanted to do that but figured chicken after a few days would be bad and the veggies would wilt and whatnot.

GQBalla
10-08-2014, 09:08 AM
I cook chicken every 4 days ish?

a week is fine IMO

heavyfuel
10-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Looks delicious.

Eating for gains

Definitely. But not good since my goal is dropping pounds. Nothing came off that week- so I cut out all carbs again, only a small serving of carbs pre-workout. Now down to 234 as of this morning. Hoping to see 230 by the end of next week.

Originally posted by chathamf

Will all of that last good in the fridge all week? Always wanted to do that but figured chicken after a few days would be bad and the veggies would wilt and whatnot.

It's fine as in, you don't get sick but it certainly doesn't taste as good as the first 4 days. I think I'm gonna cook for 3-4 days max from now on.