PDA

View Full Version : Frozen roof rack lock; suggestions?

XylathaneGTR
09-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Howdy gang,

I'm looking to take my roof rack off for the winter, but one of the locks is frozen tight. I blew a bunch of crap (salt, dirt, etc.) out of the lock with compressed air, but that key still won't turn and I don't want to force it and snap it off inside the lock.

I imagine the lock itself is stainless or at least galvanized so I was thinking of running some warm soapy water through the lock...and I wanted to check if anyone has any other suggestions before I go ahead.

Any thoughts? It's an RV Inno "IN-FR" mount.

Thanks!

lilmira
09-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Get some pb blaster in there? I got some stubborn license plate screws out that way.

GQBalla
09-19-2014, 12:44 PM
WD 40

ianmcc
09-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Use a graphite spray lube. Won't gum up over time.

E46..sTyLez
09-19-2014, 01:04 PM
You can buy lock de-icer. Comes in a bottle like nasal spray. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure where to get it these days.

ExtraSlow
09-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Lock de-icer works if it's frozen with actual ice, not helpful if it's corroded.
WD-40 is not the best choice for penetrating oil, PB Blaster is better.

One trick on anything corroded is to apply heat along with the penetrating oil. On that lock, you probably can't take a blowtorch to it, but you could heat up the key a bit (carefully) and slide the hot key in. Letting the various parts expand and contract witht he heat and help draw the penetrating oil into places it otherwise might not go.

Graphite spray lube is excellent as a preventative measure, but may not help much on something that's already inoperative.

E46..sTyLez
09-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Lock de-icer works if it's frozen with actual ice, not helpful if it's corroded.

Yea I definitely didn't read the question thoroughly lol

revelations
09-19-2014, 01:30 PM
In addition to the above (penetrant) sometimes a touch of heat or a tap from a metal hammer can help things as well.

natty54
09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
penetrating fluid and a small pic that fits into the lock and get the stuff out then you should be able to put the key into it