PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Tool Brand

firebane
09-21-2014, 04:10 PM
So I picked up this 2 ton jack today that is worn enough that I can't tell the brand. Was maybe thinking someone could help?

I thought maybe "Taurus" but that came up with nothing..

http://i.imgur.com/UAPAS7Y.jpg

ExtraSlow
09-21-2014, 05:09 PM
If I stare at this hard enough, I have some ideas about the letters.
Looks like T-a-k to start, then either a "U" or two L's, than Im guessing another k.
so, Takuk-something?
Do you know the history of this item? Any idea where it was manufactured? That word/brand may not be English.

Also, got a pic of the whole thing? That'd be interesting.

firebane
09-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I know absolutely nothing nor does the guy I bought it from. He said he tried to do some research but could find nothing.

Its a double pump unit that weighs a considerable amount. I've include a overall shot of the jack as well as the handle.

In the picture with the overall shot the place between the lift mechanism and the handle lifts up to expose the hydraulics and such and looks to have had a tag on it at some point in time.

The handle fits into the jack and then a bolt secures it. The ribbed part is what allows it to go down as its the release for the jack.

http://i.imgur.com/lc4ci9U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oEJepRS.jpg

anothers10
09-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Are you on the Garage journal ? I assume someone on there will know.

Maxt
09-21-2014, 06:11 PM
It's a Japanese brand called Takubo.

ExtraSlow
09-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Shit, I did pretty good at Taku.

firebane
09-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
It's a Japanese brand called Takubo.

Nice. You know anything much about this brand?

Maxt
09-22-2014, 06:33 AM
That brand hasn't been imported into North America for quite some time. Because of pricing, a lot of good quality Japanese imports have been displaced by cheaper Taiwanese,Chinese and Indian imports. I think its still around in Japan.
I had 2 of those Jacks that I sold because they were just to big for my needs, I had a 5 ton and a 10 ton. Both Jacks had the Takubo casting on them, but were rebadged by American companies.

spikerS
09-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Shit, I did pretty good at Taku.

Have a cookie

/ruffleshair

ExtraSlow
09-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks buddy. :thumbsup:

firebane
09-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
That brand hasn't been imported into North America for quite some time. Because of pricing, a lot of good quality Japanese imports have been displaced by cheaper Taiwanese,Chinese and Indian imports. I think its still around in Japan.
I had 2 of those Jacks that I sold because they were just to big for my needs, I had a 5 ton and a 10 ton. Both Jacks had the Takubo casting on them, but were rebadged by American companies.

Yeah it seemed to be a bit of an older jack. It seems to leak a bit of oil so I'm going to look into getting it rebuild and clean it up.

I figured due to the weight and its a double pump jack it must have been worth a few dollars in its day.