PDA

View Full Version : First lane turns into first lane rule?

16hypen3sp
09-23-2014, 02:43 PM
READ FIRST!

I was going to put this in the car cam bad drivers thread but its more of a question...... Maybe a dumb one.

I took this corner today, like I have a thousand times before. I have always seen cars turn from the furthest left lane into the first lane of the street they are turning on to... "first lane turns into first lane rule."

As you will see in the video below, a car beside me is in the inside turning lane and I'm in the outside turning lane. The lane that she is supposed to turn into is an upcoming left turn only lane. There are small broken lines in the turn that she crosses over into my lane. I would think she's in the wrong as she crosses over these lines.

I remembered a video from snowcats youtube page regarding left turns. I reviewed it and noticed there are no broken white lines in his situation.

I was wondering if I was in the wrong for not moving over into the next lane but now I think she was just being an idiot and almost took me out.

VIDEO FROM TODAY HERE:
watch?v=IIA8UFwizAg

snowcats video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOWt6LItQ48&list=UUp8Y8CHWmhEFP_FHbELobjQ

rage2
09-23-2014, 02:44 PM
It's pretty obvious she turned into your lane.

Hallowed_point
09-23-2014, 02:45 PM
I think she's in the wrong. I hate it when people make double turns right into your lane. Glad I'm getting a dashcam soon

n1zm0
09-23-2014, 02:50 PM
She's at fault, there's even dotted lines there to guide you to stay in your lane.

16hypen3sp
09-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's pretty obvious she turned into your lane.

I agree... totally. But thats not really what I'm asking here. The lane she was supposed to stay in is a left turn only and actually takes her back to where she came from.

Is this one of those intersections that the "first lane turns into first lane" rule doesn't actually apply - as she is turning into a left turn only lane?

n1zm0
09-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
I agree... totally. But thats not really what I'm asking here. The lane she was supposed to stay in is a left turn only and actually takes her back to where she came from.

Is this one of those intersections that the "first lane turns into first lane" rule doesn't actually apply - as she is turning into a left turn only lane?

In that situation if I was her I would've turned into the first left lane where she was directed to, as indicated by the road painting arrow. After that if I wanted to get into the next right lane I would signal my intent and then do it when possible before the next light. :dunno: seems pretty simple to me. If she knew she was going straight after that left turn she should've been in the straight/dual left lane prior for efficiency sake.

E46..sTyLez
09-23-2014, 03:02 PM
They probably put in the dotted line because of too many people doing the same dumb thing she did.
She was at fault man, if the lane she was turning into was another turn lane, she needs to safely change into your lane once she has finished the turn.

schocker
09-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Doesn't matter, they have guide lines even to direct you so she came into your lane. A good example of this is 8th st 4th ave sw. They painted the lines to direct it when turning left so that the outer lane goes into the outer lane as everyone would do the lanes from left to right not right to left as it is now painted.

lilmira
09-23-2014, 03:45 PM
That's what you call a massive understeer.

16hypen3sp
09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was just trying to figure out if I did something wrong.

But yeah, she's an idiot... could have ended a lot worse had I not been anticipating her foolishness.

lasimmon
09-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Happens on 12th ave turning left onto 4th st all the time (dunno if thats where your video is, as I cant watch at work).

I turn from the second to left lane into the middle lane which is the second to left lane and almost get hit every single time by the idiots turning into the left most lane.

flipstah
09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

She's the idiot.

We have those in Calgary; too many close calls.

You have to be proactive and enter the proper lane before turning in order to reach your destination safely,

http://goo.gl/maps/nqK4p

snowcat
09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
The painted lines are showing you the correct lane!

Where my video is taken, they now have the same painted lines in your video.

Thaco
09-24-2014, 11:06 AM
yeah if she didn't want to turn left at the next lights, she should have taken the outside turn lane as you did or waited til she was in her designated lane and then changed out of it before the intersection.

revelations
09-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
yeah if she didn't want to turn left at the next lights, she should have taken the outside turn lane as you did or waited til she was in her designated lane and then changed out of it before the intersection.

That would require way more brainpower and fore-thought than most are capable of on the road.

HiSpec
09-24-2014, 12:12 PM
I see this kind of situations everyday turning left from 12th Ave. SE (eastbound, 4 lanes, dual left turn) on to Macleod Trail SE (northbound). Everyday I see cars in the far left lane will turn onto the 2nd left lane.

cherpintow
09-24-2014, 12:20 PM
I always make sure to give a good 4 second honk in these situations. Although dickish, people need to start learning at some point before they hit someone. I consider it driver education, one driver at a time.

Lex350
09-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Always happens to me going from South bound Deerfoot on to East bound Memorial Trail. I've had a few close calls so far. If I was a betting man I would say that someone is going to hit me at that turn before the end of winter.

VetteRacin
09-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah going from Ross to SB gatez is a horrible design for people that don't know how to drive.

MGCM
09-26-2014, 06:49 PM
see it daily, this is what we get for handing out licenses like food stamps, yay Alberta :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thaco
09-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
Always happens to me going from South bound Deerfoot on to East bound Memorial Trail. I've had a few close calls so far. If I was a betting man I would say that someone is going to hit me at that turn before the end of winter. that one the lanes are actually painted that the inside lane goes to the 2nd lane and the 2nd goes to the 3rd...

AE92_TreunoSC
09-26-2014, 10:36 PM
I always favor the far lane in that scenario. Being right is one thing but I don't like being hit by ignorance. If you honk at them they just look at you confused.

BigDannyCool
09-26-2014, 11:03 PM
the two cars in front of you didn't turn into the correct lanes either

edit, the first car actually signaled into the right lane.

16hypen3sp
09-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
the two cars in front of you didn't turn into the correct lanes either

edit, the first car actually signaled into the right lane.

Only one who did anything right was the first car in front of that minivan.

Canucks3322
09-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Yup see this everyday in downtown Calgary, that's why for defensive driving purposes I either turn really slow making sure the driver beside me is not a fucking moron or I just turn into the further lane because 75% of the time, they are fucking morons and DO NOT turn into the first lane.....it's either that or have to pull over and deal with damage to your car and waste hours of your life away, just drive defensively....

cyra1ax
09-27-2014, 08:36 PM
There actually seems to be an exception to this rule in the NW, as you're on the bridge decks to get from SB Shag to EB Crow.

See here, the painted lines direct the left turn lane into the middle lane, and the right turn lane goes into the far right lane.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0978881,-114.150494,3a,75y,188.54h,64.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sU4n__Q2tMMmNrQmfMoNAYw!2e0?hl=en

JustinMCS
09-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by cyra1ax
There actually seems to be an exception to this rule in the NW, as you're on the bridge decks to get from SB Shag to EB Crow.

See here, the painted lines direct the left turn lane into the middle lane, and the right turn lane goes into the far right lane.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0978881,-114.150494,3a,75y,188.54h,64.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sU4n__Q2tMMmNrQmfMoNAYw!2e0?hl=en

What? That's not an exception, the first lane is a turning lane and that's what Snowcats video link on first post explains. You turn into first lane against curb or lane directed by lines. Pretty easy.

JustinMCS
09-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Also where did op video go lol

16hypen3sp
09-27-2014, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Also where did op video go lol

What? It's still up.

bart
09-28-2014, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
see it daily, this is what we get for handing out licenses like food stamps, yay Alberta :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

you mean like cereal box toys haha

brucebanner
09-28-2014, 09:13 AM
I know that spot, there are a few places like that all along Gaetz. Lucky you were aware and got out of harms way.

ipeefreely
09-28-2014, 05:35 PM
I guess this fits here best.... :facepalm: :facepalm:

qLBWLJu3aSU

16hypen3sp
09-28-2014, 06:19 PM
^ That first car in your clip was hilarious... like holy shit that was atrocious driving. Thanks for sharing.

JustinMCS
09-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely
I guess this fits here best.... :facepalm: :facepalm:

qLBWLJu3aSU

bad driving on all parts - you didn't even make a full stop a @ 0:10 seconds.

clem24
09-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Yup see this everyday in downtown Calgary, that's why for defensive driving purposes I either turn really slow making sure the driver beside me is not a fucking moron or I just turn into the further lane because 75% of the time, they are fucking morons and DO NOT turn into the first lane.....it's either that or have to pull over and deal with damage to your car and waste hours of your life away, just drive defensively....

Yah I do this too.. It's a purely defensive driving maneuver. I pretty much KNOW they'll turn into the wrong lane, and I pretty much KNOW if I honk, they'll just be pissed, think I am in the wrong, and all hell breaks loose. Conclusion: not worth it, avoid the situation by turning into the wrong lane yourself or turn really slowly, and don't honk.

As I've stated in the past, easily the worst intersection for this is 8th St NB onto 4th Ave WB. They've painted dotted lines to guide cars but people STILL decide they don't want to follow them. And then the intersection just becomes a complete shit show after snow falls and/or the lines aren't visible/fades.

Moonracer
09-29-2014, 09:22 AM
The key to making a dual turn is never be right beside someone else if you're in one of the outside lanes. Always be either just ahead of them, so they can see you clearly and what lane you take, or just behind them so if they take the wrong lane, then they just go in front of you without hitting you.

Hallowed_point
09-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
The key to making a dual turn is never be right beside someone else if you're in one of the outside lanes. Always be either just ahead of them, so they can see you clearly and what lane you take, or just behind them so if they take the wrong lane, then they just go in front of you without hitting you.

:thumbsup: