PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5s app? keeps crashing while playing music

Hallowed_point
09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm running a youtube downloader app on my iPhone 5s (i0s 8) to play music as I don't want to run iTunes. I plug it into the USB input on my car's deck and play videos off this app. Everything will be working fine and then all of a sudden I'll have no sound and "device not supported" error message will appear on my deck.

The songs all play perfectly straight off the phone no hiccups or any troubles. I've tried resetting my phone and wiggling the cable to see if it's damaged but nothing seems to be coming up to indicate a problem.

I don't want to run iTunes ideally as it's my gf's macbook and I don't want to unsync all her settings etc. I'm a noob when it comes to Apple products, but there should be a non i-tunes workaround?

I wonder if it's from that shitty i0s 8 update..I didn't use the phone to play music through my deck prior to this though so not sure.

Hallowed_point
09-24-2014, 06:42 AM
A white window pops up on my iPhone when the music stops playing. It reads "device not supported by iPhone." It seems to be extremely random as it will play a couple songs through and randomly stop in the middle of one. It's never the same song each time.

I'm running an authentic steve jobs approved cable to connect my phone. It's never given me a problem when I play straight off my phone. I wonder why that changes when it's plugged into the USB port of my deck.

rage2
09-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Try a new cable. Those lightning connectors are fucking fragile, I've had 2 cables replaced under warranty already. Just go to the apple store, give them the cable, say it's with your 5S (should still be under warranty) and get a new cable.

I've had random device not supported errors in my car which was traced to a bad cable. They get pretty bent up in the glove box.

Hallowed_point
09-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Try a new cable. Those lightning connectors are fucking fragile, I've had 2 cables replaced under warranty already. Just go to the apple store, give them the cable, say it's with your 5S (should still be under warranty) and get a new cable.

I've had random device not supported errors in my car which was traced to a bad cable. They get pretty bent up in the glove box.

Could it also be a linty port? Mine looks ok but who knows. I thought it looked fairly durable. But now that you mention it, I do occasionally hear a faint popping sound when no music is playing when it's plugged in.

Thanks Rage, you rock.

rage2
09-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Oddly enough, I've never had a linty port problem. I've had linty lighters that won't light up, but never lint in the lightning port.

Hallowed_point
09-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Well, it ain't the apple cable. I tried two new cables. I can hear a faint intermittent popping/crackling sound when I have my deck selected to "ipod" or "aux" input. I wonder if it's a stereo install issue from previous owner. I know next to nothing about car audio. Graham A.M.??

Maxx Mazda
09-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Try Bluetooth audio instead and see if you still have that issue.

Hallowed_point
09-25-2014, 11:13 AM
^Thank you I will.