PDA

View Full Version : Audi S3 Testdrive

gulfstorm
09-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Just wanted to share my experience of the new 2015 S3 that was able to take out on an "extended" testdrive at Glenmore Audi.

I currently drive 2012 A3 Sline manual but looking to upgrade to something a little more focused.

My first impressions of the car were that it had a great driving position, supportive seats (the demo did not have the super sport seat option), and top notch fit and finish.

Earlier this month I drove a base cayman and m235i as a point of reference. Much better quality of materials in the s3, and I would say on par with the cayman. As expected, the transmission left me wishing I had a dual clutch and not a manual . Crisp shifts on up shift and in S mode, the car predicts gears very well.

I felt the engine was very strong and pulled all the way to the redline with ease and being a 4cylinder it revs up very quick. I honestly did not notice much difference in straight line performance compared to my A3 which has stage 1 APR. The turbo lag seemed non existing.

The chassis is where the car is night and day compared to what I drive currently. Very neutral cornering and couldn't really induce and understeer but did feel the back pulling the car around the corners thanks to the new haldex system. This demo had the analogue dampers which were definitely on the firm side of things. Drive select allowed you to adjust throttle, transmission and steering response as with all other audis that have this option.

All in all very impressed with the car as a whole but the transmission and the chassis stood out the most. I am still waiting on the Golf R (doubt there will be a demo) before making my decision.

Just of note that his vehicle is about 53k out of the door which is pretty much loaded

Cheers!

msommers
09-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the analysis. Pretty stoked to test drive this thing

88CRX
09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Pics or ban!

Saw an A3 on the road last night and it looked really good. Was a little worried the high window line would look off but everything looked spot on.

schocker
09-24-2014, 10:42 AM
All the reviews are pretty positive which is good. Still waiting on the B9 S4 though I think as it is a pretty small car overall, I suppose similar in size to the B5 A4/S4

flipstah
09-24-2014, 10:51 AM
What does $53k get me as 'fully loaded'?

gulfstorm
09-24-2014, 11:54 AM
53K gets you Nav, B&O sound, adaptive cruise, LED all weather lights, keyless entry, blind spot monitoring, lane assist, red brake calipers (wooooo), 18 inch rims with summers.....I might have missed a few things.

Only options missing from the demo were 19's with adaptive dampers...something I would get for sure.

gulfstorm
09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by gulfstorm
53K gets you Nav, B&O sound, adaptive cruise, LED all weather lights, keyless entry, blind spot monitoring, lane assist, red brake calipers (wooooo), 18 inch rims with summers.....I might have missed a few things.

Only options missing from the demo were 19's with adaptive dampers...something I would get for sure.

Xtrema
09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
RS3 revealed....

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-audi-rs3-sounds-like-it-packs-five-cylinders-o-1638045328

Hopes it comes here.

Also I think the A3 looks great other than the front overhang of the MQB platform. MLB (and I assume the the upcoming MLB Evo) has much less front overhang and to be that looks better.

lilmira
09-24-2014, 12:12 PM
The sepang blue demo at Royal Oak has 19s with magride. Looks like more units are arriving then, I was told that the blue one is the only one in town back two weeks ago.

The only option not available now is the super sports seats which should become available for production in Jan. Body colour mirrors are now available in the states in their configurator. I'd love to get black optics but there is no word for that yet.

n1zm0
09-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Saw an A3 on the road last night and it looked really good. Was a little worried the high window line would look off but everything looked spot on.

I saw an A3 after Russell Peters on Friday, I mistook it for an A4 but noticed the high window level as well, it was significantly taller looking than an A4 I thought, it was at night though and the A3 was black so who knows.

lilmira
09-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
RS3 revealed....

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-audi-rs3-sounds-like-it-packs-five-cylinders-o-1638045328

Hopes it comes here.

Also I think the A3 looks great other than the front overhang of the MQB platform. MLB (and I assume the the upcoming MLB Evo) has much less front overhang and to be that looks better.

They were testing an S3 sedan at the ring a while ago too, people were guessing that it may be the S3+.

I dunno about the RS3 getting here.

gulfstorm
09-24-2014, 12:17 PM

flipstah
09-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Pretty stacked for $53k. :thumbsup:

Aleks
09-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

I saw an A3 after Russell Peters on Friday, I mistook it for an A4 but noticed the high window level as well, it was significantly taller looking than an A4 I thought, it was at night though and the A3 was black so who knows.

I keep mistaking the A3 for the Jetta. The refreshed Jetta looks even more like the A3 from the side and back.

rage2
09-24-2014, 01:22 PM
I keep mistaking the [insert random Audi/VW product] for the [insert random Audi/VW product].

Pretty soon, that statement will be true for all German manufacturers.

flipstah
09-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I keep mistaking the [insert random Audi/VW product] for the [insert random Audi/VW product].

Pretty soon, that statement will be true for all German manufacturers.

Thanks a lot, modularization. EuroGM.