PDA

View Full Version : Calgary to Singapore, Thailand, or The Philippines from $716 roundtrip + tax!!

n1zm0
09-24-2014, 10:13 AM
I wish this was around last month before I went there! This is just crazy! :nut:

There are some pretty crazy prices showing from Calgary to a few Southeast Asia hub cities on Delta at the moment.

The cheapest verified prices I've seen so far are...

(roundtrip, including taxes)

Calgary to Singapore (SIN) - $716 CAD
(this is a new record for the cheapest flight I've ever seen from Calgary to Singapore, shattering the old record, set in 2011, by nearly $200)

Calgary to Manila, Philippines (MNL) - $723 CAD
(this is also a new record, shattering the old record from 2011 by $170)

Calgary to Bankgkok, Thailand (BKK) - $825 CAD
(also a new record, besting the $896 flights that showed up in 2011)

How to find and book these flights...

1. Start by searching with Google Flights Explore. Set the destination as 'Southeast Asia' or to one of the three cities listed above (Singapore, Manila, or Bangkok)

Also be sure to set the Trip Length to 10-14 days.

Note that Google Flights Explore displays prices in $USD.

2. Look for cheap date combinations. Write them down.

3. Take those date combinations and the destination involved and enter them into Kayak.

From Kayak, hit the Select button to take you to a place where they can be booked. So far I've had the best luck with clicking through from Kayak to the Delta Airlines website.

You can also try just searching directly on Delta.com, but it's usually easier to use Kayak to play around with date combinations and flight times.

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-singapore-thailand-or-the-philippines-from-716-roundtrip-including-taxes

taemo
09-24-2014, 10:14 AM
saw that, wish i had more vacations days available :cry:

what exact dates would these be?

spikerS
09-24-2014, 10:16 AM
I wish I had the cash to take the family. I LOVE that area.

Kloubek
09-24-2014, 10:20 AM
That's ridiculous. We just sent my father in law back to the Philippines and paid more than that ONE WAY.

n1zm0
09-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by taemo
what exact dates would these be?

it'll show you in a bar graph when you goto the flight explore page

taemo
09-24-2014, 10:35 AM
damn.. ~700 to SG or Thailand would be awesome in November or early Dec:cry:

GQBalla
09-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Crazy price

Xamim
09-24-2014, 11:47 AM
How is the weather in Singapore during Nov-Dec, I'm guessing fairly wet? Debating on booking a month long trip to SG and checking out Thailand for a few days with the cheap flights they have there.

Gainsbarre
09-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Xamim
How is the weather in Singapore during Nov-Dec, I'm guessing fairly wet? Debating on booking a month long trip to SG and checking out Thailand for a few days with the cheap flights they have there.

I was in Singapore from December 8-20, 2010. It wasn't very wet, but very humid (I believe it's humid year round). There was only some rain, and even when it did rain, it only happened on a few occasions and only for 20-30 minutes each time.

I met a few people from Singapore during my travels in June. When I told them I had visited their country for 12 days they said that that was 9 days too long :rofl:

wintonyk
09-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Xamim

it rains pretty much every day. but it's sunny most days until about 3 or 4 pm.

I can't take any holidays until april. but bought round trip to singapore on ANA (i hate delta) for 850. have got friends there so it's gonna be base camp for songkran in bkk and a quick trip to Philippines

Xamim
09-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

I was in Singapore from December 8-20, 2010. It wasn't very wet, but very humid (I believe it's humid year round). There was only some rain, and even when it did rain, it only happened on a few occasions and only for 20-30 minutes each time.

I met a few people from Singapore during my travels in June. When I told them I had visited their country for 12 days they said that that was 9 days too long :rofl:

Originally posted by wintonyk

it rains pretty much every day. but it's sunny most days until about 3 or 4 pm.

I can't take any holidays until april. but bought round trip to singapore on ANA (i hate delta) for 850. have got friends there so it's gonna be base camp for songkran in bkk and a quick trip to Philippines

After thinking about it some more last night, I might do the main trip to Thailand. Would be cheaper to stay there in the long run. A few of my friends also told me that 3 days in Singapore is plenty. So I'm just going to go take advantage of the cheap flights there and go visit several places while having the main base somewhere in Thailand. Also, would love to go to Abu Dhabi for the last race of the season.

Phl0xed
09-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Thinking that I'm booking flights tonight with a few friends for a few weeks in Thailand next April and hitting Cambodia for a few days in there as well. I've never really traveled to SE Asia, so I was wondering what a realistic daily budget is in Thailand? I know it's extremely cheap, and will cost no where near what a few weeks in Iceland just ran me, but could anyone with recent experience there enlighten me? Thanks!

95EG6P
09-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
Thinking that I'm booking flights tonight with a few friends for a few weeks in Thailand next April and hitting Cambodia for a few days in there as well. I've never really traveled to SE Asia, so I was wondering what a realistic daily budget is in Thailand? I know it's extremely cheap, and will cost no where near what a few weeks in Iceland just ran me, but could anyone with recent experience there enlighten me? Thanks!

i just got back from Thailand Malaysia and Singapore . Thailand is super cheap but you can spend a bit more if you want like steak or seafood. I ate some days like a 1$ meals noodles soup like pho and deep fried wonton at like the street markets. but if you go to like restaurants by the beach or anything place with air cond budget about $10-15 a meal no drinks. you will have awesome time there hope it helps if you need anything pm as i just got back from SE Asia last week ps go to full moon party its awesome :clap:

adam c
09-25-2014, 11:52 AM
prices are even lower today, wish I had enough vacation dammit

Speed_69
09-25-2014, 12:07 PM
If I were to split my trip between Singapore & Malaysia, which place is it better to fly to first? I would be taking the train between visiting the two countries.

nj2Type-S
09-25-2014, 12:16 PM
i really liked singapore. within an hour of us landing, we went for some chicken rice LOL.

you guys should check out boracay or palawan in the philippines. i think november is still considered as low season, so the prices won't be as high. shopping is really good as well since the currency in the philippines is lower than thailand, singapore and malaysia.

n1zm0
09-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
If I were to split my trip between Singapore & Malaysia, which place is it better to fly to first? I would be taking the train between visiting the two countries.

I've done this from Johor to S'pore with the MRT (across the causeway it's like a 30-45 min drive by taxi depending on traffic jam to give you an idea of the time). I'd say goto M'sia first, buy all the cheap stuff you want and all that nonsense from PJ in KL then goto S'pore since their dollar is pretty close to ours, generally more expensive there overall vs M'sia.

A word of advice with Air Asia for anyone travelling inter-Asia, they are no-frills, I found this out the hard way when I went, you only get 20kg baggage limit, you have to either purchase another 20kg online or at a sales booth like 4 hours before the flight at the very least, they're cheap as hell but at a cost. Also if you're using Air Asia even for international flights out of Malaysia, be sure you goto LCCT(KLIA2) terminal and not the actual KLIA - it's like a 10 minute drivefrom KLIA, so many times we almost missed our flights because of not knowing that in East and West M'sia.

Kloubek
09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
you guys should check out boracay or palawan in the philippines.

Palawan > Boracay for someone at my age. Boracay is just too commercial now with all the vendors, and their night life isn't really THAT great anyway.

adam c
09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Palawan > Boracay for someone at my age. Boracay is just too commercial now with all the vendors, and their night life isn't really THAT great anyway.

I can't say anything for Palawan as I haven't been (yet) but I found Boracay too commericalized, everyone was selling the same thing, prices were fairly high for anything being purchased, the night life was terrible and my wife and I got such crap service everywhere we went until they found out we were married (we didn't bring our rings), then their attitudes changed

nj2Type-S
09-25-2014, 01:03 PM
my wife and i spent our honeymoon in palawan. it was just so relaxing and gorgeous. i thought boracay is OK...touristy, for sure.

taemo
09-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Boracay? KKK :rofl:
vx6zSzj0NA0

i still want to check it out but yeah way too commercialized now. El Nido was amazing!
Hoping do visit Coron next

wintonyk
09-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Also if you're using Air Asia even for international flights out of Malaysia, be sure you goto LCCT(KLIA2) terminal and not the actual KLIA - it's like a 10 minute drivefrom KLIA, so many times we almost missed our flights because of not knowing that in East and West M'sia.

Haha I have done this exact same thing.

Phl0xed
09-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Booked our flights last night! 3 weeks in Thailand next April. Gonna have a 14hr layover in Tokyo (flying in and out of Haneda) so we're gonna spend some time in Shinjuku! I'm so excited, I can't wait to do a ton of dives in Thailand and hopefully get to see some whale sharks.

EDIT: Ended up costing $744 CAD round trip straight through All Nippon Airways. Has anyone ever flown over seas with ANA? I've never flown with them and would like to hear others experiences.

Manhattan
09-26-2014, 09:29 AM
ANA is the best Asian carrier I've flown with. Period.

Can't believe how long these prices are sticking around. Maybe this is the new norm. :dunno:

Phl0xed
09-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan

Can't believe how long these prices are sticking around. Maybe this is the new norm. :dunno:

That just made my day. Now for the real determining factor: How is the food!? Haha

Yeah these deals are insane. I can't believe for the cost of flying to Toronto from Calgary, I'm off to Thailand... :|

CompletelyNumb
09-26-2014, 11:20 AM
2 weeks in the Philippines next march for $670. Awesome deal.

Speed_69
09-26-2014, 01:11 PM
I booked Singapore for 2 weeks in November for $734. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much. Didn't get the $684 because I wanted different dates.

For those who have gone to SE Asia before, how many days in Singapore is enough? I was thinking 4 days then head to Malaysia but not sure if I have time for another country?

95EG6P
09-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I booked Singapore for 2 weeks in November for $734. Hopefully it doesn't rain too much. Didn't get the $684 because I wanted different dates.

For those who have gone to SE Asia before, how many days in Singapore is enough? I was thinking 4 days then head to Malaysia but not sure if I have time for another country?

i did 4 and i thought it as good enough go to the laser show and all the malls and go to the botanic gardens and the food at singapore was unreal good but it is same price as you would expect here. i didnt like Malaysia as much i would spend more days in Thailand if it were me

n1zm0
09-26-2014, 01:58 PM

I replied to your question on the other page for some of that, as said the Singapore $ is almost equivalent to here (worth a bit less though), for me Singapore is about eating, they have some of the best damned food in the world imo, even my relatives think so. Ifyou want to buy high end stuff, i'd say Singapore would have more choice.

Also for going to another country, like i said before, you could totally do another country for cheap if you book some Air Asia flights to Thailand or Vietnam or wherever, just make sure you make it back to S'pore in time to fly back to Canada obviously.

Originally posted by 95EG6P
i didnt like Malaysia as much i would spend more days in Thailand if it were me

I think it depends on what you want to do, shop for high end things, shop for nonsense fake goods/cheaper things. There so much more to Peninsular Malaysia than just KL though - want to see really old stuff goto Malacca and Penang (food here is also insane), Genting Highlands if you want to gamble and see a crazy amusement park, but even near KL there's Batu caves, Sepang circuit is about 45mins - 1 hour if you want to see an event there (last time I went was a local track day). You want to do the island thing, goto Langkawi, but I assume Thailand is alot cheaper overall though.

e36bmw///
09-27-2014, 12:34 PM
nm

hachiroku
09-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan

My girlfriend is cabin crew for them and was happy to hear that comment.

RedDawn
09-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Anyone else seeing these anymore? It looks like it's a dead deal.

jwslam
09-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by RedDawn
$816 to HKG...
https://www.google.ca/flights/explore/#explore;f=YYC;t=HKG;li=5;lx=14;d=2014-09-28

Others
https://www.google.ca/flights/explore/#explore;f=YYC;t=SIN;li=5;lx=14;d=2014-09-28
https://www.google.ca/flights/explore/#explore;f=YYC;t=MNL;li=5;lx=14;d=2014-09-28

tch7
09-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by RedDawn
This morning I booked to Bangkok for $818 on United/ANA for 3 weeks in March.

Prices for Singapore & Manila were quite a bit higher.

Phl0xed
09-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Checked this morning on with ANA and the flights for our three weeks in April were back up to about $1600 from YYC to BKK. Glad I jumped on this when I did.

BavarianBeast
09-29-2014, 10:38 AM

2-3 busy days and you can see everything worthwhile. i would stay away from sentosa...