PDA

View Full Version : Dealers must now provide MFA for vehicles sold at public auction.

stillworking
09-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Looks like GOA has legislated changes so dealers cannot dispose of units at auction so easily. Looks like costs are on the rise.

See news release:
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/production/MFA%20Notice%202014.pdf

Hallowed_point
09-24-2014, 01:06 PM
This is good news.

corsvette
09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Gunna drive auction prices up even further, now everybody's going to think they're getting mechanically sound vehicles at the auction for cheap. Dealers WILL find ways to fudge around this too.....

Half the time I find you can go on Kijiji and find cheaper prices than even the "Dealer only" Auctions.

spikerS
09-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
This is good news.

meh, the spirit of this is in the right place, but in practice, it will do nothing because this does not apply to a private consigner.

This is a big and obvious loophole that the dealers will exploit in a heart beat.

G-ZUS
09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

meh, the spirit of this is in the right place, but in practice, it will do nothing because this does not apply to a private consigner.

This is a big and obvious loophole that the dealers will exploit in a heart beat.

Get friend to insure and register vehicle, throw it in the auction.

rage2
09-24-2014, 01:20 PM
So does this get rid of OOP inspection if a MFA is present? Or does this just mean double the work before a car can be registered?

G-ZUS
09-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by rage2
So does this get rid of OOP inspection if a MFA is present? Or does this just mean double the work before a car can be registered?

I would think that they'd be able to use the OOP as a MFA :dunno:

jacky4566
09-24-2014, 01:30 PM
thought the whole point of an auction was cheap and sketchy? Although I do wish auctions would provide more opportunity to inspect vehicles.

Hallowed_point
09-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Who buys cars at auctions anyways expecting a good deal? The whole idea just seems like a "N.E. screaming match" to me. Probably about as calm as distributing food by helicopter in Somalia.

spikerS
09-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Who buys cars at auctions anyways expecting a good deal? The whole idea just seems like a "N.E. screaming match" to me. Probably about as calm as distributing food by helicopter in Somalia.

I stopped going years ago. With so many FOB EIs there, prices quickly go past what anything there is worth by about 25%, and more often then not, a little elbow grease on Kijiji will get you a better vehicle for less than what you would pay at auction.

Too many people watch those stupid auction shows (ok i watch some of them too), expecting to get amazing finds for pennies, and bid the price way up.

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2014, 04:31 PM
You'll still need an OOP even with an MFA. This is for public auctions so dealer auctions will still be as is. To much junk getting sold to the public which makes it dangerous for everyone.

stillworking
09-26-2014, 11:32 AM
OOP and MFA documents are similar, so in instances of OOP, they could just take it to a licensed inspection facility for both at the same time. If push comes to shove, OOP would probably count for MFA, but not the other way around.

I imagine this decision is going to open up new markets for shady, back dated inspection reports as much can change in 120 days.

I was talking to a hard up 14 yr. mechanic at the Toyota dealership a few weeks ago.

anothers10
09-26-2014, 08:47 PM
It does not have to pass the mfa, Just says it needs one. So you will see check marks saying ok or ng. The same junk will still be running thru with maybe a little more insight into it's problems.