PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Lube Macleod Trail Review

dirtsniffer
09-24-2014, 03:39 PM
On Saturday September 13th I went to the Mr. Lube on Macleod trail for an oil change. The service was a little slower than normal but nothing to crazy. I drove the car home and parked it on the driveway until Monday morning when I had to drive to the core for work.

At about 9 am my fiance sent me a photo of our driveway and it has a huge oil slick, apparently my car had been leaking oil all weekend and I did not notice. To confirm things I went to check my oil and it did not show a marking on the dipstick so it was for sure down a couple litres.

I called Mr. Lube to explain the situation and they sent a guy out to re change my oil in the parkade. He showed up a couple hours later and there was about a half litre of oil in the car; it apparently leaked out due to a loose drain plug. The Mr. Lube employee asked me to come by the shop after work so they could clean my car and change the oil again in a shop environment. I explained to them that my driveway needed to be cleaned as well due to the huge oil slick and they had that taken care of within a few days.

Overall, it obviously wasn't a great experience to have to go through but the way the shop handled it was professional and left me with the confidence to do business again with them in the future.

Murray Peterson
09-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I won't go there again -- they used a filter that fit on my S2000, but wasn't the correct part (the S2000 takes a very specific filter -- 15400-PCX-004). They also used a plastic washer on the drain plug instead of a proper crush washer.

J.M.
09-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Damn that sucks. At least they stepped up to the plate and made things right. :thumbsup:

E46..sTyLez
09-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Wow that's surprising that they went that far to rectify the issue. S#it happens, it's how a business stands behind their service that defines them. Thumbs up if you ask me.

4DoorGTZ
09-24-2014, 07:50 PM
And yet they refuse to change the oil in my work truck because its covered in mud underneath...... minit lube down the road had no complaints in taking my money.

Hallowed_point
09-24-2014, 09:26 PM
That's all fine and good but I wonder how they would've reacted to a seized engine. I'm way too paranoid to let anyone change my oil. Too many people rushing to get you out the door.

firebane
09-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Overall, it obviously wasn't a great experience to have to go through but the way the shop handled it was professional and left me with the confidence to do business again with them in the future.

Professional? How. They failed to do their job properly no matter how they fixed it.

This is exactly why shitty companies remain shitty companies and remain in business.

firebane
09-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
Wow that's surprising that they went that far to rectify the issue. S#it happens, it's how a business stands behind their service that defines them. Thumbs up if you ask me.

Bullshit.. Its how a business does service such as NOT forgetting to tighten the oil pan bolt to cause a massive leak that would make them good.

ddduke
09-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
That's all fine and good but I wonder how they would've reacted to a seized engine. I'm way too paranoid to let anyone change my oil. Too many people rushing to get you out the door.

I was talking to a franchise owner about what happens in that case, he told me they have a regular mechanic who deals with fuck ups their guys cause. They would likely pay for the repairs.

ddduke
09-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Bullshit.. Its how a business does service such as NOT forgetting to tighten the oil pan bolt to cause a massive leak that would make them good.

Such an ignorant way of thinking, everyone makes mistakes bud. Owning up to them and fixing them says a lot about how a business is run. You likely made mistakes when you were a trainee in your field.

dirtsniffer
09-24-2014, 09:58 PM
A wise man once told me you should not judge a person on how they handle success but on how they handle their failures.

I am also glad they accepted responsibility so readily as shit does happens. Even if they have an extremely low incident rate things do happen on occasion. (saying they could have a 0 incident rate would be impossible)

As an aside they are liable for any damage caused to me due to their negligence.

firebane
09-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Such an ignorant way of thinking, everyone makes mistakes bud. Owning up to them and fixing them says a lot about how a business is run. You likely made mistakes when you were a trainee in your field.

If I'm paying $70+ to have someone change oil I best be able to leave and not have to think about what is happening with my car.

What if I got my oil changed and then went on a road trip and half through it the engine seizes?

And I'm supposed to have confidence in these places after I hear stories like this... Please.

Certain jobs require people to be paying attention and double checking everything they do.. its a oil pan bolt its not that difficult.

If I made a mistake that big in my job I'd be most likely let go.

E46..sTyLez
09-25-2014, 11:38 AM

If I'm paying $70+ to have someone change oil I best be able to leave and not have to think about what is happening with my car.

What if I got my oil changed and then went on a road trip and half through it the engine seizes?

And I'm supposed to have confidence in these places after I hear stories like this... Please.

Certain jobs require people to be paying attention and double checking everything they do.. its a oil pan bolt its not that difficult.

If I made a mistake that big in my job I'd be most likely let go.

So just to confirm, you view this place as no better than say...a company that made the same mistake and DIDN'T own up to it and fix the issue immediately?

Hallowed_point
09-25-2014, 12:13 PM
It's all about the follow up and taking responsibility IMO. Everyone fucks up once and awhile at work, anyone who says otherwise is a clown.

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 12:38 PM

Zero102
09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks for posting the full story - I'm also of the opinion that the way they handled the mistake speaks loads about the manager and that location as a whole.

Everybody makes mistakes, no harm was done and given the trouble they went through to fix it I'd expect that anybody responsible has definitely learned their lesson. :thumbsup:

n1zm0
09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson
They also used a plastic washer on the drain plug instead of a proper crush washer.

This is a common practice for quick lube, also always just finger tight on the drain plug, I remember working at the dealer it was always like this, idk if it's how they're trained for fear of stripping the plug threads or whatever, but it was a normal thing I noticed.

Also while the plug was finger tight, the filter would always be so tight as if the lube tech kid thought it held the entire car together.

At least the guy put oil in it, I remember a coworker didn't even put oil in as well as forgot the drain plug but put on a filter, luckily the owner saw the oil pressure light come on in the parkade. Craziness.

max_boost
09-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Rough dude but I have been going to them for over a decade and never had a problem. I like the macleod location. The one next to boleros right?

sexualbanana
09-26-2014, 11:02 AM

I think it's an unreasonable expectation that any business would achieve 100% execution 100% of the time.

Granted, it would've been nice for them to have gotten right the first time. But in this case, as with most standardized practices, dirtsniffer happened to be the unlucky one where someone made a mistake.

There are a handful of companies that I can think of off the top of my head that would've told me to fuck off in similar situations.