PDA

View Full Version : Motor Trends 2014 Best Drivers Car!

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 09:27 AM

schocker
09-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

...and no, for the record I did not post this just because the Fiesta ST made the list :rofl:
:bullshit: :rofl:

The i8 is kind of surprising, but chris harris loved it when he drove it.

pheoxs
09-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Couldn't afford 2nd to 5th place so I bought a Fiesta ST, not disappointed lol.

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 11:52 AM

MalibuStacy
09-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I expected this list, but not the z28, that really surprised me

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 12:04 PM

flipstah
09-25-2014, 12:10 PM
The new Golf is pretty sweet to drive. :drool:

Mibz
09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
...and no, for the record I did not post this just because the Fiesta ST made the list :rofl: You didn't POST it for that reason, but you FOUND it while searching for new ST material to stroke to.

A2VR6
09-25-2014, 12:26 PM
I am surprised that the Camaro Z/28 bested a Porsche 911 Turbo S... maybe the new 911 is turning into a GT-R in terms of thoughtless computer interference?

You'd be surprised on how each model in the 911 range drives differently. A GT3 in the same comparo would finish very differently than say a turbo then say a C2S

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 12:26 PM

heavyD
09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I guess another question is, is the Alfa Romeo 4C really that good to drive :dunno:

Apparently on the track but it's a mess on the street.

killramos
09-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Damn no M235i.

Basically the first list all year it didn't make.

Tik-Tok
09-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Also, where is the Vette?

Now, your particular favorite sports car probably isn't in this test. Why not? First of all, we limit each year's BDC to performance machines that are either new or significantly updated for 2014. The cars also have to be available, either currently on sale or in a manufacturer's fleet. That's why there's no 2015 Mustang, Corvette Z06, Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, or Porsche GT3.

Aleks
09-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Damn no M235i.

Basically the first list all year it didn't make.

I don't see it here either. :poosie:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-feature

killramos
09-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I don't see it here either. :poosie:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-feature

Damn better sell.

When's the c63 out?

;)

Redlined_8000
09-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Best drivers car was horrible this year.

No corvette c7 again....
No cla45amg
No 458 speciali
..... What is motor trend doing.... Lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-25-2014, 06:51 PM
I just dont think you can quantify "best drivers car" because everybody's idea of best drivers car is different...

Out of that list the Fiesta or STi would probably win for me.

georgemagana
09-25-2014, 07:00 PM
^your a supercar hater :)

Redline_8000
The c7 was there last year with the F12 and the 911.

The CLA, understeer isnt fun :p lol

Darkane
09-25-2014, 08:34 PM
I am surprised that the Camaro Z/28 bested a Porsche 911 Turbo S... maybe the new 911 is turning into a GT-R in terms of thoughtless computer interference?

Thoughtless computers, can you elaborate?

Redlyne_mr2
09-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Randy Pobst, the track driver/reviewer for MT has horrible tastes in cars and seems to like cars that are good but not great. The Camaro is a fine car but the best drivers car in the world? Forget that, no visibility, poor ergonomics, steering feel and build quality. The i8 is a technological marvel but not a drivers car, the Alfa romeo is no where to be found in the market place. Just a complete mess of a review lol.

Redlined_8000
09-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by georgemagana
^your a supercar hater :)

Redline_8000
The c7 was there last year with the F12 and the 911.

The CLA, understeer isnt fun :p lol

C7 was not in last year's test. They couldn't get it in time. Not that it matters I guess seeing as there is so many reviews on it already.

corsvette
09-25-2014, 09:32 PM
If GM can get the next gen Camaro smaller, lighter, and with the same driving dynamics as the current Z/28, they are going to hit a huge home run.

The Z/28 is flat out amazing on the track

Sugarphreak
09-25-2014, 09:43 PM

94boosted
09-26-2014, 07:38 AM
I was really hoping some of the new hypercars were going to be in the comparo (P1, La Ferrari & 918)

BavarianBeast
09-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Got to finally drive an M4 the other day. I really liked the power delivery compared with my M3 when it was N/A. Now that I'm boosted though I preferred my M3 over the M4, M4 being stock at least. It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers the M4 will be able to reliably put down once people start going bigger turbos.

Gripenfelter
09-26-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm surprised the GT-R scored as high as it did. I've driven one, not the Nismo edition though, and found it pretty boring. Like driving a sedan.

killramos
09-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Got to finally drive an M4 the other day. I really liked the power delivery compared with my M3 when it was N/A. Now that I'm boosted though I preferred my M3 over the M4, M4 being stock at least. It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers the M4 will be able to reliably put down once people start going bigger turbos.

Did it do a decent job of getting the power to the ground?

One of the biggest criticisms i have heard is that the car is just to squirelly and the engine is to much for the chassis?

Seemed odd for an M car but who knows these days...

I always wonder if i should have ordered an M4 but that fear goes away everytime i drive my 2 haha.

Maybe an M3 though i sat in one at gallery the other day and was very impressed with the size.

georgemagana
09-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

C7 was not in last year's test. They couldn't get it in time. Not that it matters I guess seeing as there is so many reviews on it already.

It was on the special they had a few weeks after the Best Drivers Car was done. They said it wasnt fair for the 911 to win without comparing it to these 2 cars.

They had it with the 911(winner of last year) and the Ferrari F12.

Its like a 30 minutes video its pretty good. Most editor said they would place the C7 on the top 3.

Mitsu3000gt
09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
I've never understood why these lists aren't dominated by exotics, hypercars, Porsche GT3, etc. Clearly this list is not as described, since they have a laundry list of exclusions that shouldn't matter when determining the "best driver's car" (i.e. Has to be all new for 2014 - who cares!). Also as previously mentioned, they are wildly subjective.

Some things are beyond their control if a manufacturer won't give them a car for example, but I find these lists pretty weak year after year.

georgemagana
09-26-2014, 11:20 AM
^That is true. Id love to see a GT3, a Lotus or a Pagani there.

Anyways, heres the video for the Greatest Drag Race#4. The 911 took the Nismo :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9NVz_LKj8

Redlined_8000
09-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Oddly enough the nismo ran the same time as a 545hp gtr.

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2014, 12:53 PM

One of the biggest criticisms i have heard is that the car is just to squirelly and the engine is to much for the chassis?

I always wonder if i should have ordered an M4 but that fear goes away everytime i drive my 2 haha.

Maybe an M3 though i sat in one at gallery the other day and was very impressed with the size.

Not to bash on the 2 because it's a great car but it's no where near what a real M car is. The m235i feels like what it's supposed to feel like, a nice sports car with some performance adds on it.

Mitsu3000gt
09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
The video is pretty cool. The Porsche and GT-R absolutely wreck everything else, not even remotely close.

BavarianBeast
09-26-2014, 01:17 PM

I thought it did a wonderful job of getting the power to the ground. Maybe that's because I'm comparing it with my 650 horse m3, but I thought it was great.

Hallowed_point
09-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter
I'm surprised the GT-R scored as high as it did. I've driven one, not the Nismo edition though, and found it pretty boring. Like driving a sedan.

Uh oh..you're going to hurt some feelings around here! :rofl:

:clap: Z/28..wut it's not a straight line drag car?? minds blown..

Omg..Z/28 has a pushrod 2V/cyl N/A V8? Not a 1.3 L v6 with 4 turbos and a 9900 rpm rev limiter? How low tech and inefficient.

Redlined_8000
09-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Uh oh..you're going to hurt some feelings around here! :rofl:

:clap: Z/28..wut it's not a straight line drag car?? minds blown..

Omg..Z/28 has a pushrod 2V/cyl N/A V8? Not a 1.3 L v6 with 4 turbos and a 9900 rpm rev limiter? How low tech and inefficient.

Definitely not a drag car.... Got beat by the M4. lol.

killramos
09-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Not to bash on the 2 because it's a great car but it's no where near what a real M car is. The m235i feels like what it's supposed to feel like, a nice sports car with some performance adds on it.

We have a V10 M6 in Phoenix. I found it very underwhelming. Looks and sounds good but :dunno: I am not convinced that just because it comes out of M it is any good. Many are but just saying.

I bought my 2 because i saw the analogues between it and the e46 M3 as well as the 1 M.

I DD it 365 days a year anyways so i am not concerned about it being a bit soft.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

I thought it did a wonderful job of getting the power to the ground. Maybe that's because I'm comparing it with my 650 horse m3, but I thought it was great.

That's good to hear. I read the TG speedweek article on it and they made it sound undriveable which really surprised me. TO be honest I will probably buy one anyways but i am hoping for a track handling package type model to come down the road similar to the e92.

:love:

killramos
09-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The video is pretty cool. The Porsche and GT-R absolutely wreck everything else, not even remotely close.

Those cars are starting to really feel like a Veyron to me. Not very appealing.

Gripenfelter
09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
I can respect the Cayman's numbers but to me it just looks like a feminine version of the 911. Something I would give my wife to drive if she liked frog-looking cars.

Just needs a pretty pink paint job with some flowers.

http://www.autoblog.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Pink-Porsche-Cayman-in-China-1-e1311502079255.jpg

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/well-color-me-pink-and-call-me-a-chinese-porsche-video-photo-gallery-64869-7.jpg

Gripenfelter
09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
I can respect the Cayman's numbers but to me it just looks like a feminine version of the 911. Something I would give my wife to drive if she liked frog-looking cars.

http://www.autoblog.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Pink-Porsche-Cayman-in-China-1-e1311502079255.jpg

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/well-color-me-pink-and-call-me-a-chinese-porsche-video-photo-gallery-64869-7.jpg

Hallowed_point
09-26-2014, 03:24 PM
I bought my 2 because i saw the analogues between it and the e46 M3 as well as the 1 M.

I DD it 365 days a year anyways so i am not concerned about it being a bit soft.

Good for you for using it as a daily! Decent in the winter with the correct feet?

Hallowed_point
09-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter
[B]I can respect the Cayman's numbers but to me it just looks like a feminine version of the 911. Something I would give my wife to drive if she liked frog-looking cars.

I agree...I don't get what people see in most Porsche styling..it's so damn froggy. Can you imagine an olive green one? They sound pretty damn good though..very distinctive.

killramos
09-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Good for you for using it as a daily! Decent in the winter with the correct feet?

Took delivery in april on PSS's so i don't really know :P ( if the weather wasn't good i didn't drive). I took delivery while it snowed a bit and it was slippery but that's mostly the tires

Winter rubber is going on in the first 2 weeks on October.

With the LSD i am not concerned about predictability or getting stuck. It should drive just fine in the winter. Worst case i use ecopro and the car never puts any torque to the road anyways :rofl:

gpomp
09-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Where's My Favorite Car?!

BMW M235i
With two higher-performance BMWs already in the test, we decided that the little half-M could stay parked this time. It's a fun car, but BMW was already well-represented, and, based on our experience, the M235i isn't a better driver's car than the M4.

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 and Z06
Much to our disappointment, the all-new Corvette Stingray Z51 was not out in time to make last year's BDC competition. We finally got a crack at the car a few months later when we staged a BDC Redux in which we pitted the Z51 against the BDC-winning Porsche 911 Carrera 4S and the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta under full BDC rules. The 911 won that contest, too. We decided to treat that test as a second BDC, so the Corvette Z51, having lost, was not invited this year.

Ferrari 458 Speciale
We invited the 458 Speciale to compete. As in previous years, Ferrari declined our invitation.

McLaren 650S
We invited the 650S to compete and McLaren accepted. Then, at the last minute, McLaren pulled out, nervous about how the car would perform.

Pagani Huayra
We invited the Huayra to compete, and Pagani initially expressed interest, but did not commit. As the test date approached, Pagani backed out, saying it did not have a car available that day.

Porsche 911 GT3
We hoped to have the GT3 compete this year rather than the 911 Turbo, however, the GT3 engine recall kept it out of the competition. At the time of our test, Porsche was busy replacing engines in customer GT3s and had not replaced the engines in its GT3 press cars yet, so they were unavailable.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/blogs/1409_2014_motor_trends_best_drivers_car_wheres_my_favorite/#ixzz3ETlRYKnW