PDA

View Full Version : U of C eyes significant tuition hikes for three faculties

msommers
09-25-2014, 11:16 AM
The University of Calgary’s engineering, law and business faculties are prepared to ask the provincial government to approve tuition hikes by as much as 46 per cent through a controversial measure known as market modification.

“We don’t think the call for improved quality is driving this,” Levi Nilson, vice-president external for the Students’ Union. “It’s the institution taking advantage of a political opportunity that the government has given them more than anything.”

In July, former advanced education minister Dave Hancock told universities and colleges to submit proposals for so-called market modification adjustments by Oct. 15. Each institution can submit up to three applications.

In 2010, the province promised to abandon the use of market modifiers, which allows universities and colleges to increase tuition to keep pace with other schools. Tuition in Alberta is generally tied to inflation.

Earlier this month, U of C provost Dru Marshall confirmed the school would apply to the province for market modification tuition increases for three of its professional programs: business administration, law and engineering.

Last week, the law faculty revealed it would seek to increase the fee charged per course by $250, or 46 per cent, from $538.59 to $788.59.

The Haskayne School of Business is reportedly seeking to increase tuition by $300 per course.

And the Schulich School of Engineering released details on its proposal that would see a market modifier of $170 attached to each engineering course _— a 31.5 per cent hike.

U of C officials were unavailable to comment Wednesday.

But in a letter this week to engineering undergraduate students, Bill Rosehart, dean of the Schulich School of Engineering, said the proposed $170 hike would bring tuition at the U of C in line with the University of Alberta.

“(And) ... when fully implemented, would yield $3.85 million annually,” Rosehart added.

Under Rosehart’s proposal, the increase would be phased in over four years, would exempt current engineering students, and allocate 70 per cent of the increase to “academic and research portfolios.”

The remaining 30 per cent, or $1.115 million, of the proposed hike would be diverted to offset the U of C’s general operating costs.

Nilson called the proposed hikes “outrageous” and questioned how the U of C can justify tuition hikes when its latest financial statement shows the institution has an accumulated surplus of $470.3 million.

“It’s not necessarily a race to have the best program. It’s a race to get as much revenue as possible,” he said. “It will have a huge impact on incoming students and the burdens they face.”

Advanced Education Minister Don Scott was unavailable to comment Wednesday, but a spokeswoman for the department said the students would be consulted before a decision is rendered, possibly as soon as Nov. 17.

During the PC leadership race, Premier Jim Prentice said market modifiers had become “too complex and needs to be simplified.”

Following his win, Prentice said he would meet with university administrators and students before a decision is made.

“(Universities) need stable and (have) secure funding from the provincial government — and students also need certainty and clarity in terms of what programs are going to cost,” Prentice said in a recent interview with the Herald.

[email protected]

Twitter@TSHowell

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/University+Calgary+significant+tuition+hikes+faculties/10232750/story.html

Absolutely brutal. :(

mr2mike
09-25-2014, 11:20 AM
So the payout on these degrees will be further increased to what, 25 years??

Seth1968
09-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Do employers even verify a diploma / degree?

I suspect that in an interview, the main characteristics that the employer is looking for, would be communication ability, learning ability, reliability, etc.

Anyway, as far as the topic goes, why the fuck are you being forced to pay for someone else?

BrknFngrs
09-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Sucks for the students for sure, but at least these three faculties will generally provide a strong career path so that the students aren't overly burdened with any debt they choose to take.

R154
09-25-2014, 11:42 AM
When you are going for a meaningful (Professional) Degree Like Law, Engineering, Business, Doctor. then yes they verify an employer will verify your degree. Besides, the professional bodies that certify your membership like APEGA (engineers, geoscience) verify your degree too.

There are professions you NEED to go to school for. Pay to play.

xnvy
09-25-2014, 11:58 AM
LOL. #CummingMasterRace

Xtrema
09-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

I suspect that in an interview, the main characteristics that the employer is looking for, would be communication ability, learning ability, reliability, etc.

Anyway, as far as the topic goes, why the fuck are you being forced to pay for someone else?

For noobs, yes.

For experience hire, not as much.

But of course, some companies may have some old archaic rule about degree but that is price of entry.

The argument of subsidizing education is that higher income and higher tax base.

supe
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm kind of on the fence. At the end of the day, post secondary is a business, as such their mission is to maximize profit, however in this case it is at the expense of people who really can't afford it.

At the end of the day, its supply and demand, since the demand is clearly there, prices will rise.

lasimmon
09-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by R154
When you are going for a meaningful (Professional) Degree Like Law, Engineering, Business, Doctor. then yes they verify an employer will verify your degree. Besides, the professional bodies that certify your membership like APEGA (engineers, geoscience) verify your degree too.

There are professions you NEED to go to school for. Pay to play.

I am an engineer and never had my education or anything confirmed by an employer.

rage2
09-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Nope. I know of someone, who lies on their resume and in interviews, and has hopped from job to job with no education or experience and relies on delegation to get by. He was the director of IT for a prominent O&G company as his last job and has absolutely no idea what he's doing but making crazy money. :rofl:

R154
09-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I am an engineer and never had my education or anything confirmed by an employer.

Do you have your P.Eng? You think your beaver stamp just fell from the sky?

ExtraSlow
09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Seriously, what percentage of P.Eng's even have that stupid stamp? I know i don't.
But yes, APEGA does check your degree, and employers can verify your status with APEGA online with very little effort. I have had employers ask for a scan of my degree before, but I doubt that would be terribly hard to fake if someone wanted to.

FraserB
09-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Nope. I know of someone, who lies on their resume and in interviews, and has hopped from job to job with no education or experience and relies on delegation to get by. He was the director of IT for a prominent O&G company as his last job and has absolutely no idea what he's doing but making crazy money. :rofl:

No one asked for your autobiography.:drama:

R154
09-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Seriously, what percentage of P.Eng's even have that stupid stamp? I know i don't.
But yes, APEGA does check your degree, and employers can verify your status with APEGA online with very little effort. I have had employers ask for a scan of my degree before, but I doubt that would be terribly hard to fake if someone wanted to.

You have your electronic one though. ;)

My point is simple, forget engineers. Lets look at a dentist. I have never seen a dentist that didnt practically beat me over the head with his certificates and PD certificates.

There are professions that having proper certification/education is the cost of admission.

I'm sure people care very little about whether or not you passed your gr.12 when applying to be a general laborer. But I am sure a foremen would check to see if his electrician is really a journeyman. Especially if said electrician is the team lead.

More to the point, would you want a lawyer fighting for your settlement if he didnt have his LLB? I dont think you can be invited to the BAR if you dont submit your schooling. (Don't quote me, im not sure)

Besides, presenting yourself to have credentials that you do not is fraud. Eventually all fraud comes to light. Incompetence will come from somewhere.

colinxx235
09-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Do you not have to stamp any drilling drawings or documents Peter? Or maybe used to, not sure?

I know on the EPCM side all the P.Engg have the stamp in their drawers some where. But it gets used quite often depending on the projects and when drawings/permits going out

msommers
09-25-2014, 02:11 PM
For the P. Geol it doesn't due squat but increase your membership fees and have to take some ethics test and future courses every 10 years or something :rofl: Lots of senior guys don't have their's either.

Back on topic, this is a huge increase. I don't understand how we've allowed such high costs to burden future generations of people. The US is a prime example of why that system doesn't work.

lasimmon
09-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Do you have your P.Eng? You think your beaver stamp just fell from the sky?

I didn't mention APEGA, you mentioned employers.

ExtraSlow
09-25-2014, 02:20 PM

You have your electronic one though. ;)
No, I really don't. I have no physical or electron stamp. I'm sure I could aquire one, but I have zero need for it in my career. I have been a P.Eng for about

g-m
09-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm an engineer and my employer asked for a transcript. I'm a p.eng but wasn't at the time

R154
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I didn't mention APEGA, you mentioned employers.

My Beaver comment was rude and slightly condescending.

I know I have had my educational history verified for every engg job I have worked at.

bspot
09-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm personally all for the subsidization of University, College, and Trades education.

A more skilled, better trained workforce means mo money for all of us.

Stephen81
09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by supe
I'm kind of on the fence. At the end of the day, post secondary is a business, as such their mission is to maximize profit, however in this case it is at the expense of people who really can't afford it.

At the end of the day, its supply and demand, since the demand is clearly there, prices will rise.

Technically no, Universities are non-profit organizations but operate in such a way that it's very easy to assume their mission is to maximize profit. They're receiving funding from government, corporate entities and private donations, but hey let's also pass the buck along to students because Mac Hall isn't going to renovate itself. But I digress.

Maxt
09-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Market modication, I guess they learned that trick from the gasoline retailers...If someone down the block is nailing the customers ass to the wall, its ok for you to do it to.

Originally posted by bspot
I'm personally all for the subsidization of University, College, and Trades education.

The success of that depends on the degree of subsidization. In my first year of trade school, we were the first intake to be charged tuition through the apprenticeship program. While we all moaned about it, the instructors through the years commented on how charging a meaningful amount of tuition, curbed truancy, reduced the drop out rate, and improved the grade average substantially. People actually started to take the school seriously when it was real money out of their own pockets.

pheoxs
09-25-2014, 10:02 PM
The first time i actually had to prove my education was when I did a project in the states and had to get a TN visa and they needed a copy of my degree at the border

J-D
09-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
The first time i actually had to prove my education was when I did a project in the states and had to get a TN visa and they needed a copy of my degree at the border

My current and previous employer both verified my degree through Backcheck, although GPA never came up.

pheoxs
09-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by J-D

My current and previous employer both verified my degree through Backcheck, although GPA never came up.

Of my 3 employers so far I never provided my degree or transcripts previously nor have ever signed anything giving them permission to contact the uofa and see...?

dirtsniffer
09-25-2014, 11:10 PM
I thought this increase went into affect in 2011? I remember something then about these 3 programs getting their fees jacked up. Something about the costs associated with running a professional program. Which sort of makes sense for engineering with all the labs and I guess for all of them with the value of the professors.

FraserB
09-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by bspot

A more skilled, better trained workforce means mo money for all of us.

Put tuition on a sliding scale. The more benefit a degree has, the lower the cost. You can use stuff like poetry degrees to subsidize engineering.

R154
09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Put tuition on a sliding scale. The more benefit a degree has, the lower the cost. You can use stuff like poetry degrees to subsidize engineering.

By far the best idea in this thread. FraserB for prez!

bspot
09-26-2014, 11:31 AM

:rofl:

I think there are countries that have fixed numbers of placements in each degree program based on projected future demand.

That would mean you'd need like a 98% average in high school to get selected for one of the 5 spots in the poetry degree program :rofl:

sabad66
09-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Of my 3 employers so far I never provided my degree or transcripts previously nor have ever signed anything giving them permission to contact the uofa and see...?
I don't think you need to give anyone permission for that... pretty sure it's public information. hell, in theory you could go to convocation ceremonies and get a booklet with every single graduate's name.

A lot of big companies do background checks and i'm pretty sure the company that does the background check does degree verification as part of the process. I could be wrong though... anyone in HR on here that might know?

My_name_is_Rob
09-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I thought this increase went into affect in 2011? I remember something then about these 3 programs getting their fees jacked up. Something about the costs associated with running a professional program. Which sort of makes sense for engineering with all the labs and I guess for all of them with the value of the professors.

I think so, unless they are shooting for more again. Currently i'm paying $538.59 + $238.83 (= $777.42) for the business courses. Taken right from the U of C site. So if they are looking at raising it another $300, that's almost in line with the MBA course fees. :banghead:

eblend
09-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

I think so, unless they are shooting for more again. Currently i'm paying $538.59 + $238.83 (= $777.42) for the business courses. Taken right from the U of C site. So if they are looking at raising it another $300, that's almost in line with the MBA course fees. :banghead:

Holy fook. Graduated in 2006 and $2500 used to be enough for a whole course load of 5 courses at Haskayne. I think just before I graduated it was $475 per course, but the cost was the same for all programs I took.

So with these new changes, would pre-requisite courses cost you a ton more as well, or only business courses? For example, statistics and math aren't business courses, so would you have to pay those fees or the fees based on what faculty you are in?

eblend
09-26-2014, 03:19 PM

More to the point, would you want a lawyer fighting for your settlement if he didnt have his LLB? I dont think you can be invited to the BAR if you dont submit your schooling. (Don't quote me, im not sure)

I would, if his name was Mike Ross.

killramos
09-26-2014, 03:20 PM
I loved my 2 year at acadia. Flat tuition set by your program plus minor fees ( and they were minor) if you chose to take an extra class it didnt cost you anything. :D

eblend
09-26-2014, 03:20 PM

I laughed :thumbsup:

killramos
09-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by eblend

WIN!

flipstah
09-26-2014, 03:29 PM

http://boredmommyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tumblr_miqnkxKKzV1qiouzqo2_500.gif

But this is one way to weed students out... Meanwhile, the executive team gets fancy offices.

killramos
09-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

I don't think you need to give anyone permission for that... pretty sure it's public information. hell, in theory you could go to convocation ceremonies and get a booklet with every single graduate's name.

A lot of big companies do background checks and i'm pretty sure the company that does the background check does degree verification as part of the process. I could be wrong though... anyone in HR on here that might know?

:werd:

It is their right to maintain accreditation and ultimately they CAN revoke your degree. If you are throwing their name around they can and will let people who are interested know if you are full of shit..

Personally no one cares where i went to school or when really. I am registered with APEGA but they don't check up on it to the best of my knowledge ( i do expense my dues though :dunno: ).

However as a registered professional my education history is public knowledge for anyone who wants to look my name up in the registry. Current employment is also listed as my scope of practice.

Seth1968
09-26-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by rage2

That's what I suspected.

Tomorrow, I'm a pilot, and you're flying shot gun.

I've got a fake pilot license, and spent many hours on my flight simulator game. Plus, I've seen EVERY episode of "Air Crash Investigation", so I know what to do when the shit comes flying down;)

R154
09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
^So you pic one example out of many in this thread to make your really shaky case? Did rage also tell you that he went to post secondary but then dropped out? Or that he had opportunity that 99% of people would never ever be able to fulfill, let alone find?

Lets also talk about professional accreditation. If you dont have it, chances are you arent able to do the job. You cant just claim to be a surgeon.

Disoblige
09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
I have to admit though, there are a lot of useless P.Eng's out there...

Seth1968
09-26-2014, 04:10 PM
^So you pic one example out of many in this thread to make your really shaky case? Did rage also tell you that he went to post secondary but then dropped out? Or that he had opportunity that 99% of people would never ever be able to fulfill, let alone find?

Lets also talk about professional accreditation. If you dont have it, chances are you arent able to do the job. You cant just claim to be a surgeon.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

roopi
09-26-2014, 04:11 PM

:rofl:

killramos
09-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I have to admit though, there are a lot of useless P.Eng's out there...

Understatement of the year.

mazdavirgin
09-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Understatement of the year.

:dunno: At least it's not the P.Eng guys getting into fist fights at work and putting their wages up their noses. That seems to be the general trend in oil and gas when you work with trades/operators.

My_name_is_Rob
09-27-2014, 11:40 AM

Holy fook. Graduated in 2006 and $2500 used to be enough for a whole course load of 5 courses at Haskayne. I think just before I graduated it was $475 per course, but the cost was the same for all programs I took.

So with these new changes, would pre-requisite courses cost you a ton more as well, or only business courses? For example, statistics and math aren't business courses, so would you have to pay those fees or the fees based on what faculty you are in?

I think the fees are based on what program the course is in. The option courses, ie. math and stats, as long as they aren't a program specific course (business/Eng/Law) are just $538.59.

Marsh
09-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Just taking advantage of these programs, as they are certainly the most in demand and most popular programs at U of C for sure. Typical with U of C behavior though...almost like the hobbit is still there:nut:

frizzlefry
09-28-2014, 12:38 AM
It's pretty well known that the U of C is a subpar university. From what I understand their new graduates of the veterinary medicine program really suck and are having a hard time finding work due to the reputation of the school.

I remember attending my wife's graduation for her first degree. The president was all "this day is about the students. It’s not about our new programs such as..." then spent 30 minutes bragging about the school. More time was spent bragging about the school than honoring the graduates.

Thats the kind of place U of C is. So when I hear they are raising tuitions I just roll my eyes.

dirtsniffer
09-28-2014, 01:01 AM
Pssht. Speak for whatever program your wife went through. I had an astronaut guest speak at my convocation.

M.alex
09-28-2014, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
It's pretty well known that the U of C is a subpar university.

The UofC is a joke and always will be one. The sad thing is a lot of people who come out of it seem to think it's a shit-hot institution, lol.

dirtsniffer
09-28-2014, 12:43 PM
I would think as long as you get the same accredation it doesn't really matter what school it's from.

AG_Styles
09-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

The UofC is a joke and always will be one. The sad thing is a lot of people who come out of it seem to think it's a shit-hot institution, lol.

depends on what you do and what it is.

the UofC is actually ranked pretty high around the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/qs-university-rankings-top-50-under-50/top-universities-under-50-years-old-201415

I think most people that put it down had a bad experience and just do not understand the point of the institution which is research, and not teaching.

even when compared to all universities, it ranks in under the top 200 in the world.

so obviously they're doing something right.

but the quality of students are generally lacking due to the entitlement factor of being in Calgary and having all this insane oil and gas money available that every junior I talk to still expects 80k to start.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2014, 01:41 PM
I've never understood the desire to call one particular school "good" and another " bad"

What objective or measurable differences are there between Canadian Universities?

suntan
09-28-2014, 04:48 PM
All undergrad degrees are a joke.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by suntan
All undergrad degrees are a joke.
I'd say people with successful careers that are based on an undergrad degree would disagree with you. For most people, it's a means to an end.

suntan
09-28-2014, 07:19 PM

I'd say people with successful careers that are based on an undergrad degree would disagree with you. For most people, it's a means to an end. It's a stepping stone.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that an undergrad degree from Harvard means you know more than a doof from the U of C.

frizzlefry
09-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by suntan
It's a stepping stone.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that an undergrad degree from Harvard means you know more than a doof from the U of C.

No but that would be a much better stepping stone. Respected and they would be a better resource to use to that next level.

U of C would ring the cash register and yell "Next!". Unless you continue your research with them in which case they will help you.

Sugarphreak
09-29-2014, 07:38 AM

killramos
09-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Yep, I can confirm there are many people out there that are very good at interviewing and just BS-ing their way into a job. Not only that they are usually pretty good at flying under the radar and very difficult to weed out.

The only case of somebody faking an engineering degree that I am aware of, is a project engineer who wasn't an engineer at all. That said he was very good and when he got called on it the company argued that was just a job title.

There are however a ton of people who have degrees that don't know their head from their ass. IMO a degree doesn't make the person, it just proves they can stick with something for 4 years.

Exactly just say they hired him to oversee their project of transitioning into a train driving company!

I went to school with a lot of braindead types who i was sure must have been failing all their classes ( just didn't understand a whiff of the material) but were somehow always there in your classes again next term. Thy eventually graduated and Apega doesn't do competency exams for the designation.

This is perpetuated in our industry by oil companies being satisfied with subpar engineering so long as the work is done quickly...

I knew a guy who put the same god damn rods in a well that failed every time ( ~3 weeks) and he couldn't understand why after 3 replacements. Turns out a simple rod design would have shown that he should have been using rods 50% thicker to deal with the stress. Well ran for 3 years after that......

mr2mike
09-29-2014, 11:47 AM
So how much of this is helping finance Harvey Weingarten's pension of $4.5M? They'll need some more $ for the next president's retirement too.

mazdavirgin
09-29-2014, 12:00 PM
It's pretty well known that the U of C is a subpar university. From what I understand their new graduates of the veterinary medicine program really suck and are having a hard time finding work due to the reputation of the school.

:rofl: I don't think so. Sister just wrapped that up and she was placed before even graduating. The new Vet program is one of the best funded programs across Canada and has by far the nicest facilities. If people are having problems finding jobs then they are simply the ones to blame. Do people expect the faculty to hold your hand and place you into a job?

People can bash UofC if they are so inclined but that's just comical since most programs are accredited so it doesn't matter where you took your education since the accreditation pretty much means you took effectively the same program as one at a "better" school.

Usually the people who bash UofC are the type of students that wanted hand holding caring profs and were shocked to find that is not the case in a research based institution. Anyways if you are staying in Calgary the UofC far outranks any other school in Calgary proper... Not to mention if you look up world rankings its actually quite high in relation to all other universities out there.

pheoxs
09-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Well according to some site, timeshighereducation, that I found googling 'world top universities' the UofA is ranked 109th and UofC is ranked 200-225 (it doesn't break them out individually beyond 200)

mr2mike
09-29-2014, 12:27 PM
There's so many of these different rankings that I think ever university tops the list on someone's ranking.

Supposedly UofC was in the top 10 of one list
http://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2014-09-25/ucalgary-breaks-worlds-top-10-universities-under-50-years-age

pheoxs
09-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
There's so many of these different rankings that I think ever university tops the list on someone's ranking.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2014-09-25/ucalgary-breaks-worlds-top-10-universities-under-50-years-age

Yeah but that's basically eliminating all the historical / well established universities to trim the list down.

When you eliminate Harvard, MIT, etc and filter down far enough eventually you'll end up on top.

Heck that criteria even excludes the UofA.

EM2FTL
09-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Under 50 years of age lolol

Sugarphreak
09-30-2014, 06:50 AM

killramos
09-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Calgarians don't like to hear this, but anybody who has lived outside of Alberta knows it to be true.

Take a subject like engineering which everybody here thinks UofC is amazing for; if you really wanted to take the best top rated programs, you either end up at McGill, Waterloo, or UBC. These are followed closely by UofO, UofT, and Dalhousie.

UofC isn't anywhere near the top, and it isn't a big secret why. Anybody good gets sucked into the private industry leaving very few that will actually pursue teaching, whereas in other places people want to live for the lifestyle, long term stable teaching jobs are more desirable.

They probably need these tuition hikes just to attract and retain the staff they have now against industry.

Pretty much, it really doesn't matter once you get your foot in the door somewhere.

Definitely something I have noticed. I also think that due to the size of Calgary and how may students commute the atmosphere of the university is pretty poor. Facilities are alright and all that but its big school feel where everyone checks out at 6 (except for 17 year olds on Thursday nights :barf: )

Similar to Calgary's downtown.

And as for accreditation I completely agree, if you finish your degree then you are fine. What i think UofC lacks is that the school doesn't do a very good job of giving you the best teaching on your way to finishing. Every university has their bad professors but i haven't heard ANYTHING good about a professor from any of my friends in engg at uofc. Even for Petroleum Engg i would say UofA is where i would go for that kind of targeted degree.

However Haskayne is a pretty good business school particularly for MBA's and will provide you a lot of relevance should you choose to work in Energy after.

ExtraSlow
09-30-2014, 07:32 AM
I took Engineering at UofC, and I have no doubt there are better schools out there. However, engineering is a funny thing, all you really need is to make sure the school is accredited, and that they keep thier accreditation. If it's good enough for APEGA, bam, you are good to go. After that, it's 100% about your work ethic and skill, which you probably aren't learning at any school, even the best ones.

Memorial University in Newfoundland lost it's accreditation for a while, which can have a huge impact on graduates, since they don't qualify for professional memerbship without several confirmatory exams.

Maybe this subject matters more in other faculties like law or something? To me, it's a non-issue.

killramos
09-30-2014, 07:35 AM
I took Engineering at UofC, and I have no doubt there are better schools out there. However, engineering is a funny thing, all you really need is to make sure the school is accredited, and that they keep thier accreditation. If it's good enough for APEGA, bam, you are good to go. After that, it's 100% about your work ethic and skill, which you probably aren't learning at any school, even the best ones.

Memorial University in Newfoundland lost it's accreditation for a while, which can have a huge impact on graduates, since they don't qualify for professional memerbship without several confirmatory exams.

Maybe this subject matters more in other faculties like law or something? To me, it's a non-issue.

Exactly my opinion. If you can graduate the way accreditation works you are gold. Which is why my general recommendation to people is it doesn't matter where you take engineering as long as they offer you your discipline of choice.

However like i said that doesn't mean some universities don't do a better job than others in providing you your education.

ExtraSlow
09-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Yeah, plus, some schools have a higher girl/guy ratio and better weather. I think that's really more important than academic reputation. :poosie: :poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

When I was picking a school, I didn't have the grades to get a scholarship, or the money to go anywhere outside of Calgary. So my choices were MRC, SAIT or UofC. That was an easy decision since MRC didn't grant degrees back then.

suntan
09-30-2014, 11:28 PM

No but that would be a much better stepping stone. Respected and they would be a better resource to use to that next level.

U of C would ring the cash register and yell "Next!". Unless you continue your research with them in which case they will help you. You vastly overestimate what an undergrad degree brings you.

It should be telling that as long as you can pay the tuition, it's pretty easy to get a grad degree from virtually any university regardless of where you got your undergrad from.

suntan
09-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Calgarians don't like to hear this, but anybody who has lived outside of Alberta knows it to be true.

Take a subject like engineering which everybody here thinks UofC is amazing for; if you really wanted to take the best top rated programs, you either end up at McGill, Waterloo, or UBC. These are followed closely by UofO, UofT, and Dalhousie.

UofC isn't anywhere near the top, and it isn't a big secret why. Anybody good gets sucked into the private industry leaving very few that will actually pursue teaching, whereas in other places people want to live for the lifestyle, long term stable teaching jobs are more desirable.

They probably need these tuition hikes just to attract and retain the staff they have now against industry.

Pretty much, it really doesn't matter once you get your foot in the door somewhere. Meh. I worked with a guy who got his CS degree from Waterloo. Fucker couldn't figure out how to use the Windows DNS API. Pretty straightfoward stuff. Also he couldn't comprehend what things like table scans were in relational databases.