PDA

View Full Version : Did I Win? Winters on!

Masked Bandit
09-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Not that I planned to have them on the wife's car this early but it was in for service and due for a tire rotation anyway. I figured might as well toss them on now and avoid the big rush when the first (real) snow hits in a few weeks. So, did I win? Anyone else have them on already?

01RedDX
09-25-2014, 04:18 PM

01RedDX
09-25-2014, 04:22 PM

spikerS
09-25-2014, 04:31 PM
douchebag

Tik-Tok
09-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Oh and to answer your original question, beating the crowds and being ready now = win.

Real winners have separate winter rims, and they can swap out themselves the morning of first snowfall. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
09-25-2014, 04:42 PM
The rubber is gonna roll off like toilet paper in this temp....

rage2
09-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Real winners have separate winter rims, and they can swap out themselves the morning of first snowfall. :thumbsup:
Real winners have winter cars so they can just hop into that instead on the morning of first snowfall. :)

01RedDX
09-25-2014, 04:51 PM

msommers
09-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Real winners have winter cars so they can just hop into that instead on the morning of first snowfall. :)

Real winners have helicopters :D

schocker
09-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Real winners have helicopters :D
But, but mercedes doesn't make a helicopter! :rofl:

01RedDX
09-25-2014, 04:58 PM

snowcat
09-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

ahem...
http://www.thebillionaireshop.com/product/eurocopter/mercedes-benz-ec-145/

mercedes benz "style"

That's a Eurocopter with a fancy interior.

01RedDX
09-25-2014, 05:11 PM

BlackArcher101
09-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
So, did I win? Anyone else have them on already?

Nope, I never took them off :rofl:

CanmoreOrLess
09-25-2014, 06:20 PM
A real winner would not have any idea what winter tires are and would be sipping a drink oceanside in Hawaii. I curse my Euro great grandparents for taking the ship on the left for Montreal, the ship on the right was going to Australia.

msommers
09-25-2014, 06:23 PM
http://www.thebillionaireshop.com/product/residences/tour-odeon-sky-penthouse/

http://www.thebillionaireshop.com/media/Tour-Odéon-Sky-Penthouse-3.jpg

Asking price: $479,250,000 CDN

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-25-2014, 06:26 PM

Does it include the whole building at that price, jeesuz christ...

carson blocks
09-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Anyone else have them on already?

I don't need winter tires, I have collision insurance.

BMDUBS
09-25-2014, 06:53 PM

Lol I went to the link and saw that it was 319,000.000 Euros but mis read it at 319,000 and though what a bargain! Jesus that's a lot of money.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-25-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm always super conscious about tire wear on winters in the warm weather. I'm a big believer of not driving on them until the average is below 10 if your other set is all seasons.

If your other set is summers/zr tires etc. Now is a really good time :thumbsup:

But an insurance employee definitely knows the value, and being prepared certainly is a good thing.

I'm gonna change around halloween I think. I have higher speed rated winter tires which are awesome when there isn't snow on the ground, they retain some fun handling characteristics that most winters don't have.

Sugarphreak
09-26-2014, 06:36 AM

CapnCrunch
09-26-2014, 06:56 AM
So, did I win? Anyone else have them on already?

Sorry, but my neighbor put his on 3 years ago.

ExtraSlow
09-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks

I don't need winter tires, I have collision insurance.
Niiiiice.

Bill, I was in the same boat, wife's van was in at Honda for some schedule maintenence, so I had them swap over to the Himalaya SUV's at the same time. No second set of rims, since the wife says she likes the factory rims. Meh, whatever.

Also, I think Rage wins this thread. His winter beater is nicer than any car I've ever owned.

Masked Bandit
09-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Ya bunch of one up'n bastages...lol. I thought for sure nobody else would have them on. Normally I wouldn't bother this early but with A) it being the wife's car, B) it was at the dealer anyway which had tire rotation in the service schedule so the swap-over was free (separate rims) and C) I don't want to be crawling around the garage the night before / morning of the first snow.

carson blocks, I approve your stance on the issue. If I have to worry about guy like you running into things, well then it's time for me to find something else to do.

killramos
09-26-2014, 08:34 AM
I have had winters on the FJ cruiser for 6 years!

Because Blizzak!

Worst part is i have summer AT's on alloys sitting in the garage...

I swear its not my fault.

ExtraSlow
09-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but with an FJ, you never know when you may use it to scale a mountain up to a glacier. That's legit . . .

killramos
09-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Yeah, but with an FJ, you never know when you may use it to scale a mountain up to a glacier. That's legit . . .

:werd:

I'm just surprised they havent exploded yet

Sorath
09-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Winter tires on my winter beaters all year round!

BlueHaloGirl
09-26-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm holding out to change over in November...I hope I can push it that long. Separate rims and rubber for winter so it's a quick swap.
Unless it snows and sticks earlier I'll just drive the Sierra on the questionable days.

quick_scar
09-26-2014, 10:00 AM
I run Nokian all weather tires that carry the snowflake symbol year round, so technically I already have mine on.

tirebob
09-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Count me in the winter tires year round on my beater. Other than that, the wife's tires go on any day now...

spikerS
09-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I am going to wait until the last possible second, then realize it is too late and I should have done it weeks ago, and then call Bob and beg and plead for him to fit me in somewhere and swap them over.

killramos
09-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by quick_scar
I run Nokian all weather tires that carry the snowflake symbol year round, so technically I already have mine on.

Great option for a non performance car :thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I'm always super conscious about tire wear on winters in the warm weather. I'm a big believer of not driving on them until the average is below 10 if your other set is all seasons.

If your other set is summers/zr tires etc. Now is a really good time :thumbsup:

But an insurance employee definitely knows the value, and being prepared certainly is a good thing.

I'm gonna change around halloween I think. I have higher speed rated winter tires which are awesome when there isn't snow on the ground, they retain some fun handling characteristics that most winters don't have.

Halloween is D-day for me as well. I have seperate V6 pony rims with Blizzac WS60 (95% tread!) that I scored off Kijiji for $400.00 a couple of weeks ago before the shit storm hit.

I did fine in that light snow in my mustang with my yokohama avid envigors. Not a single problem.

max_boost
09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Nice that's how I roll as well.

Originally posted by Sorath
Winter tires on my winter beaters all year round!

Is this why you were in Monaco? lol

topmade
09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm on the "I never took them off" bandwagon :D. Considering our short summers and the fact that we drive less than 10k/year I don't have a problem with them. Plus this is our van so I'm not really concerned about top performance in warm weather.

MGCM
09-26-2014, 08:30 PM
sry beat you to it, swapped my fronts to my base winters during that freak snow the other week, studded ones go on front/rear in November:thumbsup:

Sorath
09-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Nice that's how I roll as well.

Is this why you were in Monaco? lol

Monaco has been so warm last couple of days :D

Shlade
09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Having Gary at urban x hook me up this Friday. Will be ready for whatever snowy shit we get

cyra1ax
09-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS

Lol I went to the link and saw that it was 319,000.000 Euros but mis read it at 319,000 and though what a bargain! Jesus that's a lot of money.

Did the same thing with both the Canadian price and the European price....had to click on the link a second time for it to sink in as $400M haha.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Noticed a drop in grip today on the R1Rs, im still going to run them as long as I can because welded diff...

relyt92
09-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I'll probably swap mid October or once we're into consistently cold weather. It'll always be a week too late though

killramos
09-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Noticed a drop in grip today on the R1Rs, im still going to run them as long as I can because welded diff...

PSS's were slick for the first few blocks as well. Below 10 C they just drop off the map in terms of grip. At least laterally. Took the car of dynamic traction and it settled right in.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by killramos

PSS's were slick for the first few blocks as well. Below 10 C they just drop off the map in terms of grip. At least laterally. Took the car of dynamic traction and it settled right in.

You don't know drop off of grip until you use Hankook RS-3...

mrsingh
09-30-2014, 02:28 PM
My IS has Potenza S-04's on it, I swapped a set of Michelin X-Ice on last night. Realistically the car only gets driven about 6km a day, so it shouldn't make much of a difference and I still have a truck that will get its studded tires swapped on when the snow really starts coming down.

codetrap
10-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking of swapping on the tires.. not because I think it'll snow, but because I want to clean up my garage... it's probably cool enough on average now... looking at the weather trends we're not often getting up into the 20's.

Canucks3322
10-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Mornings are close to 0 and I had bald all seasons on my Pathfinder. .. On top of that I drove over a nail, called Stadium was in the next day to mount my winters, the guys even took off my plastidip for me no charge. ... I remember someone posting bad reviews about Stadium but Ive never had a problem with them, didn't even pressure me for new tpms sensors. ..

codetrap
10-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Swapped my Blizzaks onto the truck today. Have to say thumbs up to the guy at CT that gave me free tire bags to put my 20's into so I could store them in the rack on the side of the house. I forgot how heavy they were too. Humping those bastards out of the garage and then hefting them up into the rack was hard work! But, cleaned, bagged, vacu-sealed and racked for the winter. :)

taemo
10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
I've had winter tires on since end of August on the Civic when one fcker stole one of our summer rims:rofl:

I should have done the WRX during the weekend but was too lazy, will have to do it next weekend

Canmorite
10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Still rocking the Nitto NT-01's that are very worn. After this weekend will probably swap them out, it's been a good run!

avishal26
10-17-2014, 11:52 AM
getting mine done right now at UrbanX! Both vehicles getting their winter shoes today

Dumbass17
10-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I've had my winters on for about 1.5 weeks now.
I know as soon as it snows, all the shops will be flooded with people in a mad rush :poosie:

Hallowed_point
10-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Blizzacs are on my deck on rims ready to rock..ordering some factory splash guards for the ol' pony as we speak :burnout:

Heated parkade and jack stands ftw!

avishal26
10-17-2014, 12:41 PM
^ Do you get more road noise with your Blizzaks? Just drove the SUV and I think I hear more noise but am wondering if it is because of the slightly bigger knobs on the tires?? I know Blizzak's winter performance is awesome but hopefully they are not loud :(

The tires that came off the SUV are all-season Michelins from factory

BavarianBeast
10-17-2014, 12:49 PM
I've got about 70% left on my firehawks GT's.

Got caught a bit off guard opening up WOT in second this morning on the way to work, car got sideways pretty damn quick even with M button off and all traction aids helping. Tires are defs feeling the drop in temp.

Hallowed_point
10-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by avishal26
^ Do you get more road noise with your Blizzaks? Just drove the SUV and I think I hear more noise but am wondering if it is because of the slightly bigger knobs on the tires?? I know Blizzak's winter performance is awesome but hopefully they are not loud :(

The tires that came off the SUV are all-season Michelins from factory

I'm not too sure yet..first time I've used them. Tired of studded winters during chinooks (road noise) so I sprung for some higher end non-studded. I'll post an update though.

Masked Bandit
09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Necro-bump!

It's my thread so it's all cool right? Wife's winters went on today which oddly is one day later in the year compared to when I started this thread five years ago.

schocker
09-26-2019, 02:25 PM
Jokes on me, I am going to order my golf wheels/tires this weekend but never sold my acura so those winter wheels are going on tonight :rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Ground is so warm it'll be slush. Need your rain tyres.

Thaco
09-26-2019, 02:36 PM
studded tires on now so people can hear you coming form a mile away!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nufy
09-26-2019, 03:12 PM
BFG AT KO2's on my truck since last January...

Tik-Tok
09-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Going to put my wife's on this weekend because they're non-studded, and her summers are kind of worn. Mine aren't going on until the end of the month because studded.

spikerS
09-26-2019, 03:26 PM
BFG AT KO2's on my truck since last January...

I have had those on my truck for the past 2 years too. But mainly because the jack i have is too small to lift my truck up to get them off. I need to go find a floor jack, thanks for reminding me, I wanna put my studded winters on this year.

killramos
09-26-2019, 03:38 PM
I’m going full ‘berta this year and relying on duratracs and 4x4 lol

Should probably get my wife’s winters out on though.

BavarianBeast
09-26-2019, 04:13 PM
I’m going full ‘berta this year and relying on duratracs and 4x4 lol

Should probably get my wife’s winters out on though.

I ran duratracs on my truck for 2 winters and loved them. Snow was my bitch, even better than the winters I swapped on last year. Decided to move to cooper discovers last winter, but almost regret just not doing another set of duratrac. Only improvement with dedicated winters is on compact snow/ice.

dino_martini
09-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Not that I planned to have them on the wife's car this early but it was in for service and due for a tire rotation anyway. I figured might as well toss them on now and avoid the big rush when the first (real) snow hits in a few weeks. So, did I win? Anyone else have them on already?

Had my tires put on a couple weeks back, but I needed brand new tires and I just run all season M+S

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-26-2019, 06:49 PM
My studded winters have been on the company car since September 12th. Studded all terrains on my truck since last December ��

rage2
09-26-2019, 08:55 PM
This aged poorly. :cry:

shakalaka
09-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Is it already snowing in Calgary? Fuck I hope it stays clear for a few more weeks. Might potentially want to do a trip in the Aston to Calgary to swap it something equally as inept in winter (without proper tires). lol

ShermanEF9
09-26-2019, 09:31 PM
I want to get a set of dedicated winters for the F150, but we will see. I was happy with my KO2s when I had them on the old truck. the OEMs on the new body style are infinitely better than the poorelli garbage they had before.

370Z
09-26-2019, 09:34 PM
Picked up studded Hakka 8s of kijiji last night... unfortunately I need shorter lug bolts :(... taking the Z to work on all seasons tomorrow, knock on wood the snow doesn't come early... should melt on contact though.

rx7boi
09-26-2019, 10:32 PM
Shit, here I was wanting to pick up a set of Niche wheels for whatever was left of Fall :rofl:

Guess the priority now is getting a set of new studded winters for my car.

The_Rural_Juror
09-27-2019, 06:27 AM
Hakka 9 studded on last night. Snap Crackle pop.

Brent.ff
09-27-2019, 06:40 AM
I ran duratracs on my truck for 2 winters and loved them. Snow was my bitch, even better than the winters I swapped on last year. Decided to move to cooper discovers last winter, but almost regret just not doing another set of duratrac. Only improvement with dedicated winters is on compact snow/ice.

Duratracs are great on snow, but man they're a giant load of shit on the typical calgary icy road

Lex350
09-27-2019, 07:33 AM

that's what I'm doing.

killramos
09-27-2019, 07:38 AM
This aged poorly. :cry:

:bigpimp:

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-27-2019, 09:29 AM
Got some Toyo G3's onto the "winter beater" this week. Nice days will be in the summer car(s).

Maxt
09-30-2019, 07:05 PM
Had the truck shod with Cooper at3's on Friday morning, perfect timing. Pretty good tire, pushed through more than a foot of snow down rural road this morning , pretty good for a 2wd truck.Our MD decided to do nothing as the snow fell.

ThePenIsMightier
09-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Learned something I already knew but it's good to revisit.
BFG Sport Comp-2's are not suitable for cold temps and amazingly useless in snow. It was amazing how useless these things are in snow and a great reminder of how incredible actual snow tires are at doing their job.
I'm still glad I delayed putting my Blizzaks on until real winter starts but the simple task I had to do in those Summer tires was a shocking ordeal. My ABS must be tired!

killramos
10-01-2019, 07:12 AM
And it’s important to remember that nothing in the last 3 days really counted as cold temps lol

rage2
10-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Learned something I already knew but it's good to revisit.
BFG Sport Comp-2's are not suitable for cold temps and amazingly useless in snow. It was amazing how useless these things are in snow and a great reminder of how incredible actual snow tires are at doing their job.
I'm still glad I delayed putting my Blizzaks on until real winter starts but the simple task I had to do in those Summer tires was a shocking ordeal. My ABS must be tired!
What's more incredible is that Michelin is able to make tires that work so well over such a huge variation of temperatures. The fact that our tires were useless and PSS's were drivable while delivering even better dry traction goes to show how far ahead Michelin is when it comes to tire technology.

And it’s important to remember that nothing in the last 3 days really counted as cold temps lol
Some tires disagree haha.

killramos
10-01-2019, 07:42 AM
Totally, just my point that if the last two days were an issue then that should be a reality check for people on whether they need to invest in better tires.

Anyone know how the new salting debate was going at city hall?

botox
10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
I have Toyo all weathers on my SUV and during the shit storm we had last Sunday I was driving up a hill where there were probably 5-6 cars stuck and I was weaving pass them with no issues and then I got rammed up the ass by someone who couldn't stop :thumbsdow. Change your tires folks and keep it safe out there!

nickyh
10-01-2019, 11:37 AM
my Pirelli's were done after a VIP driving day; put my winters on Thursday.

rx7boi
10-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Gonna be picking up a set of Kumho Wintercraft WI31 and have them studded.

First time having studded tires haha.

CLiVE
10-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Budget baller - have 5 cars, but rode my bike to work w/studded winter tires on it. :banghead: