PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for AT tires for jeep yj

LUDELVR
09-27-2014, 07:09 AM
I thought about getting some MT tires but I will most likely also be driving the YJ throughout the year and I don't want to switch another vehicle's tires/wheels along with the Ridgeline so I'm now considering some AT tires. I'll have to admit, I love the look of the MTs but having those on ice I've heard is a nightmare.

Can anyone recommend an AT tire that still has a pretty aggressive (mud tire) look to it?

FraserB
09-27-2014, 07:12 AM
DuraTracs are going to be the best bet.

hampstor
09-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
DuraTracs are going to be the best bet.

:thumbsup:

tirebob
09-27-2014, 09:37 AM
If you do a huge amount of highway driving, I find I have many customers (not all mind you) who complain about their Duratrac's. Don't get me wrong though. It is a great tire but really I find it is more oriented to the guy who is pretty serious about off-roading and still wants a usable tire on-road.

The issues I have been seeing with guys who primarily highway drive them is one with accelerated wear and heavy feathering/scalloping creating a loud, rough riding tire. This can be mitigated with frequent rotations or a softer driving style, but it is still a pretty aggressive tire. If that is the type of tire you are after and you can manage the qualities, it really is a good product.

Now if you want a more highway oriented all terrain that maybe wears and behaves a bit better under normal driving life, going with a tire with a tighter more durable tread pattern and rubber compound might me more up your alley, but you will not get as aggressive and off-road traction or bite in the snow by going that route. You also won't get as aggressive a look, which is a genuine reason for some people choosing one tire over another.

As I always say, there are trade-offs everywhere with tires, and what is best for one guy is not necessarily the best for the next guy. You need to assess what qualities in a tire are your main priorities and whether or not the tradeoffs to those specific qualities are acceptable for you.

picmerollin
09-27-2014, 09:46 AM
I have the Duratracs on our personal truck (Frontier) and they are decent, but as mentioned - getting a little louder than ideal. My work truck has firestone destination AT's - while they do not really look the part, they are really good in the winter, quiet and way less $$ than the usual suspects (BFG & Duratrac etc). When replacing the Frontier tires, i may just save the cash and get the Firestones.

Kloubek
09-27-2014, 12:14 PM
I have Yokohama geolander ATS on my offroader, and they have performed and held up great over three trips. In fact, I'd say the guys I've wheeled with had zero advantage in the traction department with their mt's. Plus others have gotten punctures and chunking, whereas I have not.

Granted, we tend not to play in mud, where you'd likely see an obvious advantage with the mt's. But if that isn't your thing and it is mainly a dd, then I'd say you are entirely on the right track with an at tire.

I don't know if it was coincidence, but I've seen sidewall issues on duratracs. I used to run bfg ko's as well, but I feel the geolander is a better dd tire.... even though it doesn't have as aggressive of a look.

HuMz
09-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Check out the brand new bf Goodrich all terrain ko2. More agreesive then the old style with better snow and ice traction giving it the severe snowflake rating.

r3ccOs
09-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
Check out the brand new bf Goodrich all terrain ko2. More agreesive then the old style with better snow and ice traction giving it the severe snowflake rating.

looking at them, they seem to be more offroad oriented than better ice/snow capable than the old ones..

Nothing beats Nokian Hakka's for winters, but their rotiva's are agressive yet very good winter tires

but there are lots of options for "on-road" AT tires, like Toyo AT2, Hankook ATM etc..

78si
09-28-2014, 08:06 PM
General grabber at2's are pretty good for the $$

LUDELVR
03-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Just wondering what jeep this wheel is off of, would it fit a 92 yj and what tire would work best for it with a 4" lift?

Told it's a 16" and will fit a jeep yj bolt pattern. I'm currently using adapters with jk wheels and 265/75/16 tires.

Oops here's the photo:

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-0/11071515_10153128363410180_7345250126279032091_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=a84c56ce4591507a9b2a36d403865b88&oe=5572C9C4&__gda__=1433685665_1d2da9d35e50e24261772ce3596dff73

AE92_TreunoSC
03-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Toyo Open Country AT2
Nitto Terra Grapplers
General Grabber AT2 as a budget choice. They have winter rating.

Duratracs are rated for winter, but I think its mainly due to stud-ability. I personally do not like BFG or Goodyear as a brand due to my experiences with quality. The new BFG AT2s do look a lot better, but I have limited experience with the next generation BFG tires.

LUDELVR
03-19-2015, 10:03 AM
So I just bought these wheels and now I'm wondering about tire size. Should I stick to the 265/75/16 I have on the JK wheels? I don't think I want to go over 32" in diameter but these new wheels are also a different offset and I would be taking out the spacers/adapters that are on there now.

How wide can I go with these before I start hitting the bump stops?

ShermanEF9
03-19-2015, 05:16 PM
i'm very happy with my BFG AT KO2s. I would absolutely recommend them.