PDA

View Full Version : Best options for temporary / prepaid SIM cards

Skyline_Addict
09-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Hi guys. Heading to Barcelona for a couple weeks in October and was wondering where to look and how best to go about getting a sim card so I can receive calls and texts while there. A quick google search comes up with plenty of sites but i was wondering if anyone can point me to some reliable and trustworthy places. Thanks.

BigMass
09-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Hi guys. Heading to Barcelona for a couple weeks in October and was wondering where to look and how best to go about getting a sim card so I can receive calls and texts while there. A quick google search comes up with plenty of sites but i was wondering if anyone can point me to some reliable and trustworthy places. Thanks.

any vodafone kiosk in a mall will sell you a sim card with prepaid time that's good for pretty much all of Europe. Just have an unlocked phone and you're solid. That's what I did in Europe and it worked great. Most kids working these stores speak English anyway if that's an issue for you.

Skyline_Addict
09-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks bigmass. on that tangent, where/how would you recommend getting my phone unlocked? i have a Samsung galaxy s3 on Rogers.

voodoo
09-28-2014, 08:39 PM
In Barcelona if you are buying a prepaid SIM card u will need to show your passport.
I was just there 3 weeks ago. €20 got me unlimited talk and text and 2g of data with orange.

For any Samsung phone I always use cell unlocker .net it unlock.

Skyline_Addict
09-29-2014, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by voodoo
In Barcelona if you are buying a prepaid SIM card u will need to show your passport.
I was just there 3 weeks ago. €20 got me unlimited talk and text and 2g of data with orange.

For any Samsung phone I always use cell unlocker .net it unlock.

thanks voodoo. did you go to a vodafone place as well?

voodoo
09-29-2014, 12:40 PM
No I used Orange. Same one my brother uses and he lives in Barcelona.

voodoo
09-29-2014, 12:41 PM
But there are places all over. There are like 10 orange stores around Barcelona. I don't think they have a kiosk at the airport though.

Kobe
10-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Yah Vodaphone is the nuts in Europe, I used them no issues...

T-mobile is really big as well...

I was paying like $20-30cad for a prepaid simcard a month in Europe...

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2014, 07:46 PM
awesome, thanks guys. just ordered my unlock code for $15. was a lot cheaper than a few years ago!