PDA

View Full Version : Well that didn't take long. First Canadian 918 Spyder up in flames

JustinMCS
09-30-2014, 12:08 AM
One of the first Porsche 918 Spyders in Canada has already gone up in flames. From the other thread, you will see its a 900k car. Apparently he filled the gas tank too full, it overflowed and ignited on the hot exhaust. Shitty.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/toronto/michael-wekerle-s-porsche-918-spyder-burns-at-caledon-gas-station-1.2781633

killramos
09-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Sounds odd. Is he just an idiot or is there something wrong with the fuel tank? Is it close in proximityto exhaust?

Tbh porsche has always set an engineering team out with these cars up until recently. Clearly they are way under built?

Like he cares porsche will just give him a new one...

pheoxs
09-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Sounds odd. Is he just an idiot or is there something wrong with the fuel tank? Is it close in proximityto exhaust?

Tbh porsche has always set an engineering team out with these cars up until recently. Clearly they are way under built?

It's hard to say without more information. He could've just finished topping it up to round it off to the next dollar and it was already full full and a bit spilled over. Or he clicked the pump on so it'd keep filling and walked away and it didn't stop. Or he realized he'd rather a P1 and just kept spraying fuel

Neil4Speed
09-30-2014, 07:40 AM
I don't know why so many people insist on filling their gas tank "right to the brim".

Originally posted by benyl
why the hell would you go father?

Originally posted by Mibz
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-04-15-philadelphiafamily.jpg

GQBalla
09-30-2014, 07:52 AM
ouch. i personally just set it up and once it first stops im done.

blairtruck
09-30-2014, 07:56 AM
i always add an extra 6L in my truck after the click of the pump.

pheoxs
09-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
ouch. i personally just set it up and once it first stops im done.

If I'm paying credit I stop whenever it stops but when paying cash I try to round it off as I don't want a bunch of dimes and nickels to get rid of

rage2
09-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I don't know why so many people insist on filling their gas tank "right to the brim".

Originally posted by blairtruck
i always add an extra 6L in my truck after the click of the pump.
There's stickers on the gas cap door that says do not top up on most modern cars. The reason is if you top it up too far, it can damage the vapour recovery system. That's the same system that CEL's when you have a loose gas cap.

StreetRacerX
09-30-2014, 08:53 AM
As soon as it clicks off and its around the usual amount that's when I stop pumping, I use to fill er to the brim but after overfilling a couple times and having the fuel run down the paint I decided not to top it off anymore.

mr2mike
09-30-2014, 08:55 AM
As well in California, you are forbidden by law to top up your vehicles. The pump has a special vapour recovery system on it.

Mid engine vehicles seem prone to ignition in situations like this. I guess it's just proximity to the hot engine bay and the guy helping the area move into the LEL range.
http://www.rkiinstruments.com/pages/faq/What_is_LEL_UEL.htm

dubhead
09-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by killramos

That is assuming they have any spare ones out of the 918 made

Lex350
09-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

O.C.D. they have to finish with a nice rounded off number. Once it clicks, I'm done filling.

beyond_ban
09-30-2014, 10:12 AM
I only round up when paying with cash. If it clicks at $58.47, you better believe i am getting $60 of fuel in there :rofl: