PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for spray foam insulation needed

Mckenzie
09-30-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a small utility room on an outside wall that needs some spray insulation. Does anyone have any experience with this or can recommend someone ?

thanks!:bigpimp:

BavarianBeast
09-30-2014, 11:34 AM
carpenter in a can.

edit; i thought that was what the product was called. i think it may of been just what we nicknamed it.. think it was called sika boom

rage2
09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
I did that spray foam insulation for my basement reno. Not sure what the huge fuss about it is, it doesn't deaden sound at all, and it's $$$$. Anyone know what the actual advantages are?

bspot
09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
^The biggest one I know is it isn't affected by moisture, and you don't need a vapor barrier.

BrknFngrs
09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bspot
^The biggest one I know is it isn't affected by moisture, and you don't need a vapor barrier.

Isn't it also air tight? Hence why home improvement shows seem to use it on the ceilings of attached garages when there is a bedroom above?

rage2
09-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by bspot
So it's less work to install and more money? That makes sense haha.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Isn't it also air tight? Hence why home improvement shows seem to use it on the ceilings of attached garages when there is a bedroom above?
Yea, I've read it's supposed to be more efficient, and better moisture control because it's airtight. We don't really have a humidity problem in Calgary (unless you're running a grow op), so it seems kind of overkill for that purpose.

My undeveloped basement had basic insulation and I never had a temperature control problem. Warm in the winters, cool (not freezing) in the summers. Now that it's developed and spray foam insulated, it feels exactly the same.

I'm told it helps for sound control too, but I should've done some research as it does absolutely fuck all for sound control. If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't spray foam again. It's messy as fuck, even for shit that's under tarps. The spray shit makes it's way under the tarp and fucks shit up pretty good. All my DVR's in the mechanical room have pretty leopard patterns now.

mr2mike
09-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Spray foam isn't going to control sound at all. Start reading about acoustics and sound travel and it's easy to deduct.

Money is better spent on clips to isolate drywall from the floor joists for sound.

I think Mike Holmes uses it because down east humidity is a problem. They also have special studs, etc for the humidity too.
Also he gets a kick back to advertise the stuff.

BAtt insulation is still superior for sound. Debatable for the insulating properties.
Probably just as easy to do high density foam insulation over the spray foam. Not sure on cost differential.

bspot
09-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Spray foam is good if you live in the flood plain.

vtec
09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Friend of mine, check him out for pricing!

www.iSpray-Tech.ca

codetrap
10-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I did that spray foam insulation for my basement reno. Not sure what the huge fuss about it is, it doesn't deaden sound at all, and it's $$$$. Anyone know what the actual advantages are? When I did mine, I ended up using Roxul in all the walls, including interior walls. Then I lined the entire ceiling with it between the floor joists, just stuffed it up there. Then I installed a suspended ceiling using sound deadening tiles. All in all, it's pretty quiet down there now. I can still hear the kids jumping on the floor above me, but it's not loud at all. I can't hear the TV or a blender or anything like that.

Sugarphreak
10-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Mckenzie
10-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by vtec
Friend of mine, check him out for pricing!

www.iSpray-Tech.ca

Thanks! I met him this morning, awesome guy, super friendly and knowledgeable. He doesn't do the fire retardant stuff so cannot spray in my utility room due to code issues, but I would hesitate to call him again. :thumbsup: