PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a Sony Android phone?

CapnCrunch
10-01-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking of picking up the Xperia Z3 compact as my new phone, but I've never used a Sony before.

Are Sony's typically good phones? And by good, I mean good quality. No glitchy software, the buttons don't fall off, and any other random fuckery, etc.

My Galaxy S3 has been a huge pos from day 1. I'm just tired of troubleshooting random shit every other week, that seems to start happening for no reason. (This week my sim card keeps unmounting and remounting. Last week I lost the ability to send pictures in my text messages)

I just want something that runs like an Iphone without being an Iphone. So can Sony do that for me? Or is this just a case of android being forever unpolished?

spike98
10-01-2014, 09:04 AM
The Z3C (its is larger friend the Z3) have been scoring off the charts in benchmarks and are top of the pack in battery life.

If it wasn't for the fact that sony skin's android, i would have on in my hand already. Hardware wise, you wont be disappointed.

Lex350
10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
I'm thinking of picking up the Xperia Z3 compact as my new phone, but I've never used a Sony before.

Are Sony's typically good phones? And by good, I mean good quality. No glitchy software, the buttons don't fall off, and any other random fuckery, etc.

My Galaxy S3 has been a huge pos from day 1. I'm just tired of troubleshooting random shit every other week, that seems to start happening for no reason. (This week my sim card keeps unmounting and remounting. Last week I lost the ability to send pictures in my text messages)

I just want something that runs like an Iphone without being an Iphone. So can Sony do that for me? Or is this just a case of android being forever unpolished?

I've had the same unmounting issue with my S4. It pissed me so much I went and bought a used Note2 and it works fine.

Stealth22
10-01-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I might be looking at a new phone soon, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the S5 and the Z3.

Sony has apparently scheduled a press event for next Thursday. Scuttlebutt says that's when the Z3 (along with it's cousins, the Z3 Compact and Z3 Tablet Compact) is going to be officially launched to the US market.

It's already been launched in India (maybe other countries too, not sure), so I'm guessing that event in New York is where they'll at least announce when it will launch in North America.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-sends-out-invites-oct-9-nyc-event-possible-xperia-z3-announcements

Tik-Tok
10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
I've been looking forward to the Z3 8" tablet for awhile now.

I bought the Z2 awhile back, and really liked it, but returned it because it was just too large for my likings. No one else is making a 8" waterproof tablet, and it's great to have in the hot tub.

Am also thinking of getting the compact phone when my contract is up in March. If you do buy it, let me know what you think.

slick2404
10-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I used to love Sony Ericson phones back in the day. They were always built well and had great cameras.

The first android Sony I used was the z2 compact and I was not impressed. The reviews were on the good size, build quality and such were bang on but the software was junk IMO, they force you to use EMMA and Sony PC Companion to update software (that doesn't come out nearly quick enough). The camera was terrible, slow and full of glitches.

Currently I use the s5, and above all my favorite feature is the battery life I get out of this phone. The camera is great, Samsung software isn't the best but the phone it's built well and preforms.

Zorac
10-01-2014, 10:44 AM
I have the z2 tablet and been very happy with it. Sonys skin on it is pretty
Light and actually useful. Some bloat but not to bad. I think it's the same android/skin on their phones and tablets.

CapnCrunch
10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I might be looking at a new phone soon, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the S5 and the Z3.

Sony has apparently scheduled a press event for next Thursday. Scuttlebutt says that's when the Z3 (along with it's cousins, the Z3 Compact and Z3 Tablet Compact) is going to be officially launched to the US market.

It's already been launched in India (maybe other countries too, not sure), so I'm guessing that event in New York is where they'll at least announce when it will launch in North America.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-sends-out-invites-oct-9-nyc-event-possible-xperia-z3-announcements

You can order them right now from the UK. The Z3C is around $550 shipped. The Z3 is like $850. Wtf?

slick2404
10-01-2014, 11:50 AM
If you do order from the UK, I used this site before and it they were great. They had a promo for a free dock a week after I had bought mine phone, and still sent it to me.

http://www.clove.co.uk/

eblend
10-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I've been looking forward to the Z3 8" tablet for awhile now.

Wtf, didn't even know they were coming out with one! I normally stay on top of these things! I have been waiting for an 8" waterproof one as well for the wife, so she can read her ebooks and stuff while taking a bath or not worry about it on the beach when on vacations. Cool, wonder how much it will be....

CapnCrunch
10-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
If you do order from the UK, I used this site before and it they were great. They had a promo for a free dock a week after I had bought mine phone, and still sent it to me.

http://www.clove.co.uk/

I just ordered it from Handtec instead. For some reason clove wouldn't take my money. It comes with a free car charger and a rokfit bookcase, whatever that is.

I just noticed it up on ncix for preorder at $630 USD, so it's probably going to end up around $700 by the time it arrives in Canada.

jwslam
10-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I remember the very first Xperia X10 to be considerably more difficult to unlock bootloader / root / carrier unlock.

is this still the case?

Tik-Tok
10-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Wtf, didn't even know they were coming out with one! I normally stay on top of these things! I have been waiting for an 8" waterproof one as well for the wife, so she can read her ebooks and stuff while taking a bath or not worry about it on the beach when on vacations. Cool, wonder how much it will be....

There's also the Samsung Galaxy Tablet Active coming out sometime, but the specs are terrible.

I just ordered it from Handtec instead. For some reason clove wouldn't take my money. It comes with a free car charger and a rokfit bookcase, whatever that is.

If the waterproof part of it is important to you, I suggest picking up one of the magnetic charging docks when they're available.

I have a waterproof phone right now, or at least it was when it was new, but taking the charge port plug out of it every day has taken it's toll. The rubber seal is cracked, and there's no way I'd fully immerse it in water like I used to.

heavyD
10-01-2014, 02:54 PM

I just want something that runs like an Iphone without being an Iphone.

:rofl:

CapnCrunch
10-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's also the Samsung Galaxy Tablet Active coming out sometime, but the specs are terrible.

If the waterproof part of it is important to you, I suggest picking up one of the magnetic charging docks when they're available.

I have a waterproof phone right now, or at least it was when it was new, but taking the charge port plug out of it every day has taken it's toll. The rubber seal is cracked, and there's no way I'd fully immerse it in water like I used to.

Honestly, the water proof gimmick isn't really a big deal to me, but it's definitely a good tip. Although my boy loves to dump water on almost everything, so it will probably come in handy.

klumsy_tumbler
10-01-2014, 04:46 PM
I currently have the Xperia Z. Still running fine for me. I absolutely LOVE the OS, and didnt even take much time to get used to it after switching over from iOS. Also, not sure if anyone else used this, but Sony's "PC Companion" software can basically take your latest iPhone backup and replicate most of the things onto your Xperia.

The waterproof thing is AWESOME for me. It's nice to have your phone actually survive after being dropped in the river :)

Stealth22
10-02-2014, 11:25 AM
You can order them right now from the UK. The Z3C is around $550 shipped. The Z3 is like $850. Wtf?
$850?! :eek:

Screw that...if I have to pay iPhone 6 prices, I'd rather just get an S5.

DeleriousZ
10-02-2014, 11:30 AM
the gf just got an xperia z2 phone. It's a decent little package, the ear speaker cuts in and out during calls though. Too much hassle to send it back for a new one tho.

spike98
10-02-2014, 12:08 PM
FYI, if you are planning on unlocking the bootloader on the Z3 and Z3C be expected to get hit with crappy camera quality. Removal of the DRM keys, break proprietary sony software that handles the camera. :thumbsdow

CapnCrunch
10-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by spike98
FYI, if you are planning on unlocking the bootloader on the Z3 and Z3C be expected to get hit with crappy camera quality. Removal of the DRM keys, break proprietary sony software that handles the camera. :thumbsdow

I don't even know what that means lol.

spike98
10-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Unlocking the bootloader will allow you to install custom roms, kernels, ect. IF you do that there is security stuff that gets disabled. Because the security stuff is disabled, some apps and software bits stop working because they are proprietary to sony.