PDA

View Full Version : Another OOPI Question...

ZeeBass
10-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Just looking for some opinions. I have a 60 yr old car that needs an out of province inspection. I've been through the vehicle inspection manual and I have one question related to the patch job that was done on the floors. There is rust through the floor in a couple of areas and basically a new floor was installed over the old one. Looks kinda ugly underneith but it's solid and does the job. Is this something that won't pass because it wasn't fixed as per recommended method?

My second question is regarding reverse lights - all of the models of this car had the same tail light assemblies (upper half was tail light and brake light, lower half was reverse light) but from what I understand not all cars actually had reverse lights (i understand they were an option). Apparently this car didn't have this option - it has the reverse lense and the the bulbs are there with a short lenght of wire and that's it. If you look at the wiring diagram for the car there are no reverse lights shown. I've looked for a reverse light switch from a higher end model but it doesn't appear anyone makes them. Not sure what my options are here - was thinking of just making sure I have the correct documentation with me when I take it in to show this...

Also, can anyone recommend a good shop that is experienced doing OOPI on older model vehicles?

I know there a number of techs and mechanics on here that are pretty good with this kinda thing so just thought I'd ask. Thanks for your time and opinions!

Shlade
10-02-2014, 10:13 AM
I can really only speak on the first question but the fact it has holes in the floor I'm almost positive it won't pass. Even though new ones have been laid on top of the old ones the original structure of the vehicle is rotten.

You're gonna have to find somebody that's very lenient and somebody you're willing to pay a couple hundred bucks to pass it otherwise I don't see it passing

ZeeBass
10-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of but kinda figured this is what it was gonna come to - guess I've got myself another winter project. It was on my list of things to do eventually cause I was never happy with it the way it was repaired but it would've been nice to actually drive the car once before sinking much money into it.

I don't really feel like arguing with a shop over an out of province so I'll try and track down a NOS or used back-up light switch also. Kinda sad cause realistically neither of these things should be an issue. But it's all part of the hobby!

carson blocks
10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Just curious, what kind of car is it? Does the trans have provisions for a back up light switch? I can't see them requiring something that wasn't original equipment, same as seat belts etc.. The Right Price Auto in Forest Lawn does OOP and was pretty reasonable on my older stuff. They weren't willing to overlook stuff, but they weren't dicks either.

Graham_A_M
10-06-2014, 10:21 AM
^ yeah I'd recommend them as well. Sounds like a ghetto outfit being in Forrest lawn but they did the OPP on my S10, and we're very reasonable. Their picky, but if it fails, they'll do all the repairs needed for very reasonable until it passes. On my S10, it failed because the rear brakes were just toast. All in all they did them for about $100, the mechanics there are surprisingly decent and really know their shit. I'm curious as to what car it is as well (have a 38 Chevy myself) but one way of installing reverse lights would be to install a "momentarily on" switch at the shift fork. So when the gear shift lever is in the right position to put it in reverse, the switch will be activated/closed to turn on the reverse lights. You can wire the switch to accessory on, and wiring it is quite straight forward, shouldn't take long at all, but on a 60 year old car, finding NOS parts isn't easy, but a lot of shit pops up on ebay, and various other sites specifically dedicated to your car in question (what ever it is). For me? I use a handful of sites I found that cater to my Era of truck. Everything is within reach, it's not hard to find many sites that either have NOS, or can make/ get reproduction parts for you

ZeeBass
10-06-2014, 10:32 AM
It's a 54 Chev with the original powerglide - no provisions for back-up light switch on the transmission. The back-up light switch on these cars was actually mounted under the hood on the steering column - the unfortunate part is that the switch is different depending on if it was a 3 speed manual or the 2 speed automatic which will make hunting one down that much more difficult. Not only that but the cars with the powerglides (not sure about the 3 speeds) that had back-up lights the switch was combined in one with the neutral safety switch. They're out there but they only seem to come up for sale once in a while and when they do you pay for them.

It's not that I'm trying to find an easy way out - I definitely want to make sure it's safe. Originally I wasn't too keen on putting back-up lights on it but if I can get a switch over the winter I'll do it. If not, I'll make sure I'm armed with the proper documentation and phone ahead to discuss with them.

Thanks for the tip on The Right Price Auto - I'll try and stop by there sometime just to chat with them.

Graham_A_M
10-06-2014, 10:35 AM
^ being a 54. Try lmctruck.com.com or Chev ' s of the 40 ' s.

ZeeBass
10-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info Graham! Never thought about a "momentary on" type switch - actually I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'll have to look into that and see if I can get something to work. Great idea!

ZeeBass
10-06-2014, 10:44 AM
From all the forums I've been on, I don't believe they are re-produced. Tried all of the major sites (that I'm aware of) that cater to the 49-54 chevy's and the best I could find was a used one on National Chevy Association and it was for a 3 speed car :( . I would bet that someone will start making them soon though. Repo parts for these cars have come along ways over the last 20 yrs. I had one of these in the mid ninety's and there was virtually nothing for them back then compared to today.

Graham_A_M
10-06-2014, 12:02 PM
^yeah tell me about it. I have an absolute bitch of a time finding parts for myself, so everything is custom on mine.

These push on type switches aren't hard to come by, perhaps try active electronics on 32nd Ave & 12th Street NE, but the one I know I have somewhere on the farm has a 1/4" throw handle, that can be bent or adjusted so it has the throw you need. Frick I wish I knew where it was, I'd just give it to you if I knew where. But even an adjustable one with a threaded locking shaft would work well, it wouldn't be hard to make a hoister for it, then mount it either on the shift column or the tranny itself. I wish I was more familiar with the 54 's, if I was I'd be more then happy to help design something or even build it. Alas I'm not..... shitty

There is a southern Alberta based hot rod forum I'm on, it's hotrodders.proboards.com, I'm "Graham" on there. Tons of very very helpful people on there, it's a great site. "Englishbob" on here is on that site as well, he's doing a '37 gmc half ton, same as mine only mines a '38 Chevy half ton.

Loads of different cars and trucks, so I'm sure at least a few people on there have went through what you are now. "Roddychop" (Rod, the site admin) is quite the builder and really knows his shit as some of his builds have made it into magazines

carson blocks
10-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I hate to say it, but I'd probably just ghetto-rig a switch and a temporary light to meet the legal requirement, and pull the junk off the minute it passed. That, or call them ahead of time and explain it never had a reverse light to begin with, and see what they say about it.

Or, don't go through the trouble and just sell me the '54 real cheap as-is haha.

Graham_A_M
10-06-2014, 03:04 PM
^lol, I know of a couple ' 54 ' s, I just ran out of time to snap pics. This is about 1/10 of all the cars and trucks near my farm.
http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/library/CarsandTrucks
Just tell me what you want and chances are I know of it. Unless it's something iconic like a 32-34 ford, but I can find almost anything else

J.M.
10-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^lol, I know of a couple ' 54 ' s, I just ran out of time to snap pics. This is about 1/10 of all the cars and trucks near my farm.
http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/library/CarsandTrucks
Just tell me what you want and chances are I know of it. Unless it's something iconic like a 32-34 ford, but I can find almost anything else

wow crazy man.. is that in Alberta somewhere? any older Toyota's or Jap vehicles around there? haha

Graham_A_M
10-06-2014, 10:45 PM
^some in Alberta, most in southern sask near me though. (I'm an hour SE of Swift Current). Nothing Japanese really, sorry.... well asides from the odd mangled Nissan or Mazda here and there

ZeeBass
10-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Ya, I've been to that hotrodder's site a couple times - should check it out more often though. Seems like some knowledgable people and some cool builds on there!

Happen to run across any 56/57 Chevy 4 door wagon's down in your neck of the woods? Not really interested in a whole car (I don't have the room for a parts car right now) but I am looking for some "wagon only" sheet metal if there are any cut up ones around there?