PDA

View Full Version : Free text messaging app for iPhone 4?

spikerS
10-01-2014, 05:19 PM
So, grabbed an iPhone 4, tossed the sim, and activated it. Want to give this to our daughter to use on WiFi only, and looking to set it up to use a free texting service...

are there any out there that I dont have to buy in app credits or some stupid shit?

JfuckinC
10-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Whatsapp no?

spikerS
10-01-2014, 05:29 PM
it is asking for a phone number... and since I dont have one for that iPhone, i cant seem to use it.

rage2
10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
iMessage. I'll bet all her friends are chatting on iPods using that.

Just activate it in settings. No need for phone number or SIM since it can use email addresses.

eglove
10-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Line messenger

rage2
10-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Or ask her what her friends use so they can actually chat. :)

G-ZUS
10-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Textplus

sabad66
10-01-2014, 09:54 PM
BBM?

bulaian
10-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Google Hangouts.

lamp_shade_2000
10-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Bbm, Facebook messenger, iMessage is the best, what's app if you can get around the phone number verification, google hangouts

rage2
10-01-2014, 10:06 PM
All these apps run like ass on the iPhone. iMessage is king on iOS because Apple restricts background multitasking on everything else.

At the end of the day, install whatever her friends use. No point asking here. She can install BBM all she wants, and talk 5 people worldwide that still uses it, none being her friends. :rofl:

e36bmw///
10-01-2014, 11:35 PM
nm

ExtraSlow
10-02-2014, 06:55 AM
this doesn't help the OP, but FUCK IS BBM SHITTY ON IPHONE!!. I have a bunch of buddies who still run bbm, we've got a big ongoing group chat that's lasted about five years. I was so excited when BBM for iphone came out, I probably got it the first week, but it has never worked properly on my iphone. It'll show about five times as many new messages as it should, and even show new messages when there are none, then it'll loose new messages for several hours at a time.
fucking peice of shit software. I'm not an iphone guy, and I'd run something else if it wasn't provided by work, but for now, locked to this hardware.

***This early morning dose of rage brought to you by BBM(tm) for iPhone(tm), fucking up your chats since 2013 ***

n1zm0
10-02-2014, 07:06 AM
For people abroad I usually used Whatsapp or Viber (which can also recieve/send free calls via data or wifi) , the latter can be used on a non-data plan device.

Viber setup steps are like this:

connect to WiFi on the iphone, install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number (or any other number of yours that can receive the code, for example a landline (fixed) number, a prepaid number, etc.), then press confirm. An SMS message with the code will be sent to your regular cellular phone. Take that code and use it in your iphone. Viber will then be activated and you can make calls/texts no problem.

The only thing would be that if you want to talk to her via viber as well, the number you enter to activate can't be your own cell, so just use your landline or something, or that Fongo as e36 said.

killramos
10-02-2014, 07:11 AM
iMessage is definitely the way to go...

spikerS
10-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Yeah, i am not sure why I am having such a hard time setting this all up being that it is a iPhone. A lot of these apps want a phone number still to set up.

I still can't get iMessage and facetime set up on this POS, keeps saying awaiting activation or some bullshit, or no network connection.

I did get TEXT+ working on it for now, and seems to be doing the job for now. I don't know if it has given her a number or not that is uniquely hers, but she can text with us for now, even if she has a quebec number. :rofl:

EK69
10-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Maybe the imessage email needs to be an Apple ID email? Not done random one that isn't tied to some apple account... I think?

:dunno:

The_Penguin
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
She can install BBM all she wants, and talk 5 people worldwide that still uses it, none being her friends. :rofl:

:rofl:

Too true

The_Penguin
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
She can install BBM all she wants, and talk 5 people worldwide that still uses it, none being her friends. :rofl:

:rofl:

Too true

Xtrema
10-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
Yeah, i am not sure why I am having such a hard time setting this all up being that it is a iPhone. A lot of these apps want a phone number still to set up.

I still can't get iMessage and facetime set up on this POS, keeps saying awaiting activation or some bullshit, or no network connection.

I did get TEXT+ working on it for now, and seems to be doing the job for now. I don't know if it has given her a number or not that is uniquely hers, but she can text with us for now, even if she has a quebec number. :rofl:

1st link in Google.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268

RNB11
10-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Textme is the best one I think. I had it installed on an Ipad, so number shouldn't be an issue.

quick_scar
10-03-2014, 05:09 PM
KIK

Think it is activated by email address.

GF and I use it. Works great.

Both parties in the conversation need the free app though.