PDA

View Full Version : opinions on roofing shingles

spikerS
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
So, normally, I just buy shingles from HD and install. Like $22 a bundle, and they do the job.

I am going to do the front portion of the roof of the house I am living in as they desperately need to be replaced. So the landlord is buying the shingles, and I am providing the labor for free(i dont want a rent increase LOL)

anyways, I figured I would check and see if I could find 20 bundles on the cheap, and I found this...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-roofing/calgary/shingle-blow-out-sale-10-00-bundle/596642555

Does anyone know of these shingles? I am not finding a lot about them in the interwebz, no reviews or anything, or any place that sells them, but the bundles do look familiar...

anyone able to offer up some info?

78si
10-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I just bought some for my shed. They are drywall supply co. that tried to get into the roofing biz, but found it "took" away from the drywall side. They don't care what shingle you want, they are $10 per bundle.
They were super nice to us even though we only bought 7 bundles. I thought about buying some for my imaginary garage/shop.
:thumbsup:

Darell_n
10-03-2014, 12:33 AM
I had the Biltmores installed on my house and garage this summer. Pretty common product around here as they are made in Calgary.

ExtraSlow
10-03-2014, 06:55 AM
They'll be fine bud. Shingles aren't rocket science.

mr2mike
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
78si found the best deal on the shingles, they're legit. If drywall supply is out, I wouldn't hesitate to PM bosted_TL on here. He could definitely beat HD's shingle price for you.
Then get ExtraSlow to carry the bundles up the ladder for you.

ExtraSlow
10-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Fuck that, I'll subcontract it right back to spikerS and pocket the difference.

InRich
10-04-2014, 12:41 AM
I can get you brand new LIFETIME IKO shingles at about 20/bundle. let me know what color and how much you need, you can pick them up on monday if you wish.

v2kai
10-06-2014, 10:38 AM
:hijack:

on the topic of shingles. after the hail storm our repair contractor mentioned class 4 impact rated shingles. adds just under two grand to the quote.
are they worth it?
do they hold up as advertised compared to standard shingles?

Darell_n
10-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
:hijack:

on the topic of shingles. after the hail storm our repair contractor mentioned class 4 impact rated shingles. adds just under two grand to the quote.
are they worth it?
do they hold up as advertised compared to standard shingles?

My $8k roofing job I had this summer was only $800 more for the 'modified' rubberized IKO shingles. (1200sq ft house + detached garage) I was told they will withstand 2 hail storms that would destroy regular shingles. Indestructible would mean concrete or metal roofing.

v2kai
10-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

My $8k roofing job I had this summer was only $800 more for the 'modified' rubberized IKO shingles. (1200sq ft house + detached garage) I was told they will withstand 2 hail storms that would destroy regular shingles. Indestructible would mean concrete or metal roofing.

Do you know what brand they were?

Our place is just under 2000sqft attached garage and the added hardware cost of shingles is roughly $1700 over standard. The particular model is the Armourshield 2. apparently no incentive from insurance companies in Canada to upgrade to impact resistant shingles like they offer in the states