PDA

View Full Version : 10th Street Bike Lane WTF

schocker
10-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Driving to work this morning, turning onto 10th street, no signage until you are well into the street, suddenly only 1.5 lanes wide, multi-modal lane under construction. haiku

I guess I had totally forgotten about this. 10th Street is already pretty busy. It only extends to third avenue, but the right lane (10 st south) was already right turns, bus and bicycle straight through only so this seems dumb and like a waste of money. Lots of traffic from 5th ave in rush hour turning right onto 10th st south which will now have to wait for green, wait for all of the pedestrians so that one car can turn per light cycle.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/10th-street-bike-lane-expansion-plan-irks-city-councillor-1.2621666

takkyu
10-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Just in time for winter where it will get optimal usage!

mr2mike
10-03-2014, 09:08 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/371101/quotcity-praises-10th-street-bike-lanesquot/

Pretty certain it's been like this for years.

Wake up and pay attention when you drive haha. jk

schocker
10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
^^Currently it ends at 5th ave and normal car traffic can only go straight through in the left lane, the right lane is right turns only or transit/bikes straight through the intersection. This allows people time to turn onto 10th street from 5th ave when their light is red. I am paying attention :rofl:

blitz
10-03-2014, 09:53 AM
I turn on 3rd (the take the alley), 4th or 5th depending on when I get a break in traffic, one of those almost always works out. If there are no natural openings I've found motorists quite willing to let me cross their lane to get over to the 5th turn lane. I guess it helps I'm normally doing about 50 kph at that point and use my hand signals.

Xtrema
10-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't do 10th ever since bike lanes was in and I think that's the city's plan to reduce cars on that road. That does push a lot traffic over to center and 14th but as I don't use those either, I don't really care.:rofl:

schocker
10-06-2014, 08:57 AM
This morning it was awesome, I was dumb and only came in one block south instead of two but drove in the car lane while everyone else was driving in the bike lane and then pushing themselves into the vehicle lane. Cyclists were able to use the road when there were two traffic lanes as vehicles could go around them so this is still very dumb.

Originally posted by Xtrema
I don't do 10th ever since bike lanes was in and I think that's the city's plan to reduce cars on that road. That does push a lot traffic over to center and 14th but as I don't use those either, I don't really care.:rofl:
You would figure the road leading to one of the few bridges into downtown would be set up to flow smoothly though :rofl:

whiskas
10-07-2014, 12:12 PM
The whole Memorial/10th St/Kensington Road intersections are just a total shit show. Drivers abuse the fuck out of the turn lanes. 90% of the slow traffic in that area is because a mouth breathing retard is stopped in the middle of the intersection after trying to make an illegal left/right turn and is blocking all traffic.

I'm normally all for bike lanes but that area doesn't really need them. Sidewalks are too narrow, businesses rely on street parking, and the vehicle traffic is usually very slow due to dense traffic controls (stop signs, lights, pedestrian crosssings).

schocker
10-07-2014, 12:20 PM
^^^^ true
drove it this morning, I believe the extended the timing on the light for people on 5th street so it ended up working OK as usually you wait for pedestrians then one car gets through before it is red. Kensington is very screwy though, they want it to be vibrant and walkable but it is one of the main entrances into downtown so it needs to be drivable.

finboy
10-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I stopped going to Kensington the last couple of years, it is a pain in the ass to get into or out of with a car. Not surprisingly, when driving through a few times this summer, it seemed dead on the patios even at 10pm on Friday/Saturday. I am guessing they are aiming for all the new condo residents to make up for those who used to drive into the area. :dunno:

Moonracer
10-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by finboy
I stopped going to Kensington the last couple of years, it is a pain in the ass to get into or out of with a car. Not surprisingly, when driving through a few times this summer, it seemed dead on the patios even at 10pm on Friday/Saturday. I am guessing they are aiming for all the new condo residents to make up for those who used to drive into the area. :dunno:

Whenever I go to kensington I always ride, it's such a pain in the ass to find parking down there, I don't even try anymore.