PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014/2015 NBA Thread

Manhattan
10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Season kicks off less than a month. I'm really interested to see how bubble teams from last year (Suns, Raps, Wiz) will improve this season. Win total lines have been set:

http://espn.go.com/espn/chalk/story/_/id/11619674/las-vegas-westgate-superbook-sets-win-totals-nba-cleveland-cavaliers-league-best-585

Lakers will do better than 31 wins. I'd take the under on the cavs and hornets.

J.M.
10-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Looks like Bledsoe got the money he was looking for haha.

Excited to see how the Raps do this season.

Disoblige
10-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan

Lakers will do better than 31 wins. I'd take the under on the cavs and hornets.
Definitely agree on under for the Cavs :hitit:

brucebanner
10-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Pumped for the season to get started. Heading to Miami to catch a few games the start of November, friend got us a ridiculous deal on flights so I couldn't pass it up.

Catching a Heat/Rockets and Heat/Raptors game while there, pretty pumped up!

Anyone think the Spurs are going back to back champs this time?

Teknix
10-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Going to catch a game in Portland this February. Portland .vs. OKC.

I hope OKC take it this year, but sad to see Durants injury!

Also I am excited to see what this Rookie Andrew Wiggins can do!

sexualbanana
10-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

Anyone think the Spurs are going back to back champs this time?

If they played in the East, I would say absolutely. But the West is so stacked that there's a huge element of luck involved. It helps that Popovich manages his roster with playoffs in mind with scheduled losses and a deep rotation, though.

Durant's injury sucks, but it's better to have that injury at the beginning of the season than near the end (a la Westbrook). It may work out in their favour in the sense that Durant may be better rested. But that assumes he doesn't re-aggrevate the injury.

brucebanner
10-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Things are going to be interesting in okc. Westbrook out for 3-6 weeks.

Lakers were in for a rough year, especially now with Randall out. On the plus side, Kobe is looking good. Even when calling D12 soft. :rofl:

Anthony Davis with a huge opening night, he's prime to have a huge year. I think they may sneak into the playoffs, maybe.

Cavs definitely have some growing pains to go through, that was apparent last night.

So happy the NBA is back. :clap:

colinxx235
10-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Yah Lakers are in for a rough one I think... Kobe needs more than what he has to make playoffs even if he averages 30 pts a game

Poor Julius tho, I was excited to see him play.

Being a Bulls fan I loved them destroying the knicks on the road in the home opener. I hope they can smash the cavs tonight too. It is great when D Rose can play sub 20 minutes and have the team win by 20+ margin. Gibson will probably be 6th man of the year. And Mcdermott is a good rookie.

I agree with the Davis comment, he looked amazing in the USA camp/games and I could see him leading the NBA in double doubles (or top 3 at least).

I thought the clippers should have beat up the thunder last night considering how beat up the roster is. No KD, no WB, no Jackson... going to be interesting how they handle the next 2-3 months with those pieces missing. Especially how tough the west always is.

4doorj
10-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Go raptors!!!
I think a surprise team will be Milwaukee. Just not sure how I feel about coach Jason Kidd though.

Anthony Davis is going to murder it this year!!!!

Sucky to be OKC right now

Manhattan
10-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Free trial subscription to NBA League Pass til Nov 4.

bball2
11-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Not a good start at all for Cleveland, but on the other the GSW are kicking ass!! :thumbsup:

brucebanner
11-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Raps gave that game away in Miami with free throws alone. I was so choked watching in Miami.

Cleveland is trying to put everything together, it's going to come and when it does, their offense is going to be wild to watch.

GSW are going to be dangerous this year as long as they stay healthy. Defensive studs and a top tier offense, Clippers didn't stand a chance last night.

brucebanner
12-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Thread is beyond dead this season. Who's keeping up with the NBA?

The Nets are having a fire sale apparently, talks of Melo wanting out of NYC, Cavs trying to trade for Mathews, lots of teams trying to pick up Ray Allen, Rondo/Green made avaliable.

Among other story lines! :drama:

4doorj
12-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Me. Raptors!!!!!
That's all I can add haha

brucebanner
12-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
Me. Raptors!!!!!
That's all I can add haha
Following them closely as well. I really think they need an upgrade at the PF position to go next level. I'm definitely not saying get rid of Amir but to give his body a break. Can't wait for Demar to get back!

4doorj
12-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah sometimes it doesn't seem real because I've been cheering for them forever and they are finally good.
I'm so used to them being shitty.

Manhattan
12-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Raps have a legit chance to make the finals this season. The east is so brutally bad.

Manhattan
12-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Steve Nash for Rondo :rofl:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235923/Lakers-Offer-Steve-Nash-Picks-To-Celtics-For-Rajon-Rondo

max_boost
12-18-2014, 02:57 PM
The West is so strong. 7/8 teams probably gonna finish with 50+wins! :eek:

But the Raps what a story and turnaround. :clap:

brucebanner
12-18-2014, 03:07 PM
They've always been a mediocre team at best. When VC was here, the east was a lot deeper during that time.

If the Bulls stay relatively healthy, they're coming out of the east unless the Cavs pickup a defensive minded big and even that might not stop the Bulls. This is the deepest time Thibs has had there I think.

LA doesn't value draft picks at all haha.

I think OKC is going to make a late seed into the playoffs. Most dangerous bottom seed of late, like Dallas ended up being last year.

Manhattan
12-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Rondo deal is going down tonight. Pretty nice haul for Beantown!

"ESPN sources say teams closing in on swap to send Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, one future first & one future second to Celts"

brucebanner
12-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Was just going to post that haha. Not a bad trade, makes Dallas very dangerous. Dallas will miss Wright off the bench though.

4doorj
12-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Rondo to mavs. Crazy starting 5.

sexualbanana
12-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Interesting starting 5 with Rondo given that they already have the best and most efficient offense in the league. The ball needs to be in Rondo's hands for him to be effective. Dallas, however, zips the ball around pretty quickly so I'm intrigued to see how he fits in.

brucebanner
12-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Raptors are rolling! Kicking off the road trip in fine form. Portland tomorrow, see if they can keep the wins coming! Lowery is a beast!

4doorj
12-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Raptors are rolling! Kicking off the road trip in fine form. Portland tomorrow, see if they can keep the wins coming! Lowery is a beast!
Awesome start indeed! This road trip will be a good test to show if they are for real or not!

beyond_ban
12-30-2014, 02:45 AM
I am really excited to see the Raptors live in Phoenix on the 4th. I was hoping that Derozan would be back, but i haven't heard anything recently regarding his status.

sexualbanana
12-30-2014, 12:17 PM
I really want to go see a Raptors game. Problem is I've been to over 20 sports games over my lifetime and the home team has never won. So I figure I need to find a good road game for them.

Manhattan
12-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I really want to go see a Raptors game. Problem is I've been to over 20 sports games over my lifetime and the home team has never won. So I figure I need to find a good road game for them.

https://i.imgflip.com/fuela.jpg

sexualbanana
12-30-2014, 03:44 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/fuela.jpg

Please tell me that was custom made

beyond_ban
12-31-2014, 01:00 PM

Phoenix, Jan 4th! Great excuse to get away for some NBA action, sunshine and a few rounds of golf.

brucebanner
03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Anyone still keeping up with the season? Haven't been watching much ball lately, unfortunately. I did just finish watching the Raps lose to the Pistons though. I don't think they're playing good ball right now at all, D has been brutal. They really need to ratchet that back up to last years ranks or they will be disposed of in the first round once again.

Westbrook has been an absolute beast carrying OKC lately. With Durrant and Ibaka out with injuries though, it'll be tough to make that last spot for the playoffs.

Love still doesn't have a defined role with the Cavs, I wonder if he'll be on the move in the offseason. If they don't make a lot of noise in the post season, it's very possible he will. That would look like a terrible trade if so.

Warriors are going to be tough to handle in the post season, they are playing great ball on both ends.

Nash officially retired today, too bad he's been hurt the last couple years. He had a fantastic career!

Curry, Harden, LeBron, Davis for MVP?

sexualbanana
03-24-2015, 09:33 PM
A

Curry, Harden, LeBron, Davis for MVP?

I get in a heated debate with a buddy everytime we talk about this, but my vote is for Curry while his vote is for Westbrook.

brucebanner
03-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Westbrook is definitely another good candidate as well. I'm leaning towards Curry/Harden myself.

sexualbanana
03-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Westbrook is definitely another good candidate as well. I'm leaning towards Curry/Harden myself.

Candidate? Sure. Winner? I don't think so. Not in this season where you've got one team on a historic pace (2nd or 3rd best record in the history of the league with the biggest point differential, I believe) while its star player is putting up 23/7/7.

And another player that's putting up 27/7/7 virtually by himself because of injuries to another star player, and almost singlehandedly keeping his team near the top of the west.

IMO, Westbrook has just missed too many games. And, as positive an effect he's had on his team's record, his team has struggled against winning teams (they're less than .500 against teams with winning records), and almost all their wins come from teams with losing records.

I worked out the stats.

sexualbanana
03-25-2015, 10:11 AM
But it also depends on your definition of "most valuable" because if you're talking about the player most valuable to his team, then that basically means it becomes a crap shoot between Lebron, Kobe and Carmelo because those teams are total shit without them (Cleveland maybe less so).

J.M.
03-25-2015, 10:49 AM
But it also depends on your definition of "most valuable" because if you're talking about the player most valuable to his team, then that basically means it becomes a crap shoot between Lebron, Kobe and Carmelo because those teams are total shit without them (Cleveland maybe less so).

Knicks are total shit even with Carmelo lol

brucebanner
03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't believe the stats are taken into consideration as much as gut feeling with the voting. I truly believe Nash should of won the award 3 years in a row but he didn't.

Westbrook has kept OKC relevant in the west with all the other injuries that they are facing.

Curry, I believe has been close to the best player this year but he plays for the best team.

LeBron has had a "down" year by his standards but you couldn't be upset if he won.

Harden, I believe has been even more important to Houston than Westbrook has been to OKC. He's absolutely single handedly put the rockets where they are this year. He's even playing better defence this year.

It's a shame that the Pelicans couldn't stay healthy at all, Davis is an absolute 2 way beast. I think he's been the best player this year when on the floor but he can't do it all alone. If somehow the Pelicans were to sneak into the playoffs, MVP would have to go to Davis I think. I don't think they will though and that I think takes him out of the MVP race.

sexualbanana
03-25-2015, 08:07 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't believe the stats are taken into consideration as much as gut feeling with the voting. I truly believe Nash should of won the award 3 years in a row but he didn't.

I don't know about that. I think the argument could be made that either of Nash's MVP awards was given to him because of his hard-to-measure-but-noticeable effect on the game and his teammates, more than his quanitifiable stats.

05-06 (Nash's first MVP) was when Kobe was putting an insane 35 ppg and 4.5 assists. The assists number is great by itself, but 35 points is remarkable.

Or in 05-06 when Iverson led the league in points per game (30+) and was top 5 in assists and steals per game.

But having said that, the immeasurable effect that made Steve Nash so great was how much he made his teammates better around him. Guys like Diaw, Stoudamire, and Marion made A LOT of money from other teams, in part, because Nash was so good at getting them involved and keeping the ball moving.

That's why I think there's precedent for a player like Curry to win MVP. His numbers aren't necessarily as great as Hardens (who is the only other player I think deserves to win the award), but I think his game has a much bigger positive effect on his teammates than Harden. Also to discount Curry because he has teammates just doesn't make sense to me. I think it's much harder being the top guy on the top team, than being the top guy on an average team.

brucebanner
04-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Raptors win RAPTORS WIN! I hope they pull it together and that Lowry is healthy for the playoffs otherwise they'll be another first round exit for them.

Did anyone follow March Madness? Good finals game. Okafor was nowhere to be found though, well until the final minutes. Jones and Allen were huge for Duke!

I'm hoping NO holds down the 8th spot in the west, really want to see Davis in the playoffs.

Nice to see Paul George returning as well.

Almost playoff basketball time. :D

4doorj
04-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Raptors win RAPTORS WIN! I hope they pull it together and that Lowry is healthy for the playoffs otherwise they'll be another first round exit for them.

Did anyone follow March Madness? Good finals game. Okafor was nowhere to be found though, well until the final minutes. Jones and Allen were huge for Duke!

I'm hoping NO holds down the 8th spot in the west, really want to see Davis in the playoffs.

Nice to see Paul George returning as well.

Almost playoff basketball time. :D
I won my work bracket.
Yay duke!!!! 90 percent of people chose kentucky. My coworker was the only one who picked Wisconsin so basically it was me vs him in the finals

sexualbanana
04-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

I won my work bracket.
Yay duke!!!! 90 percent of people chose kentucky. My coworker was the only one who picked Wisconsin so basically it was me vs him in the finals

I led my bracket wire to wire, but the way the scoring is weighted, anybody who chose not-Duke as the winner as, was going to win (or share) the pool.

brucebanner
04-09-2015, 02:59 PM
I never fill out a bracket. I've only really started paying closer attention the the tournament in the last few years.

4doorj
04-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Raptors vs Wizards! Can't wait!

I thought OKC was going to sneak in, so weird not to see OKC in playoffs.

Manhattan
04-16-2015, 12:42 PM
In retrospect this double clutch 3 pointer at the buzzer by Davis is the difference between playoffs for Pelis and going home for OKC.

Ei34RqCmRXQ

brucebanner
04-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Raptors man, Casey kills me sometimes. 3's are not dropping, you are getting to the line, pound the paint. James Johnson doesn't see the floor, really? I know you shorten your bench during playoffs but he's not one player you leave off the floor. He's not a shooter but he's a good defender and likes scoring down low.

They better play better or it'll be another quick first round exit.

J.M.
04-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Raptors man, Casey kills me sometimes. 3's are not dropping, you are getting to the line, pound the paint. James Johnson doesn't see the floor, really? I know you shorten your bench during playoffs but he's not one player you leave off the floor. He's not a shooter but he's a good defender and likes scoring down low.

They better play better or it'll be another quick first round exit.

:werd: Can't believe Casey didn't play James Johnson. Hopefully a win in game 2..

brucebanner
04-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Game 2 better be a different game for the Raps.

Rose showed up and looked good, I expect the Bulls to take that series.

GSW are a force to be reckon with, they may even sweep the Pelicans but Davis was a beast last night, especially in the 4th.

Texas matchup will be a fun series to watch, honestly think that series could go either way.

I expect the Cavs to roll through Boston but they'll put up a fight.

Memphis and Portland are both hurt, whoever gets to the second round will lose from there.

Spurs and Clippers is a crazy first round series, can't wait to watch this kick off later.

Oh how I enjoy playoff basketball haha. :bigpimp:

sexualbanana
04-19-2015, 04:33 PM
anyone know where i can find a fitted we the north hat? all i can find are snapbacks and i hate snapbacks.

Teknix
04-23-2015, 03:58 PM
anyone know where i can find a fitted we the north hat? all i can find are snapbacks and i hate snapbacks.

Sportchek had some nice We The North / WTN caps in the jersey sections. Hope you find one!

Manhattan
04-23-2015, 04:51 PM
^

You should be shopping for a brown paper bag lol

sexualbanana
04-26-2015, 05:02 PM
^

You should be shopping for a brown paper bag lol

Oy.

"I love watching 48 minutes of iso plays" - Said no one ever.

J.M.
04-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Fucking Raptors lol

brucebanner
06-09-2015, 10:54 PM
If LeBron James carries this Cavs team to a title, I'll have no words.

J.M.
06-09-2015, 11:02 PM
If LeBron James carries this Cavs team to a title, I'll have no words.

If he brings a title to Cleveland he'll be a hero forever. If he doesn't, people will say he didn't have Irving and Love to help him out lol

max_boost
06-09-2015, 11:26 PM
If LeBron James carries this Cavs team to a title, I'll have no words. what he's doing right now is legendary lol either that or the Warriors choking :dunno:

sexualbanana
06-10-2015, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
what he's doing right now is legendary lol either that or the Warriors choking :dunno:

My criticism of Lebron is well documented, so take my opinions for whatever it's worth, but it's mostly GSW choking and some bad tactics.

Strategically, GSW should be okay with Lebron putting up his kinds of numbers. He's going to average 35 points and damn near a triple-double every game this series, but at the cost of multiple possessions. He's been a sub-35% shooter from the field and a borderline sub-20% shooter from behind the arc this post-season. Factor in that he's shooting 75% from the line, and it becomes apparent that he's wasting a lot of possessions. Not only that but ultimately, Lebron can get his points whenever he wants. What is more dangerous is giving opportunities for guys like JR Smith and Shumpert to shoot and get hot, because they are both the type of player (JR especially) who, if they don't get the ball early, will start to check out of games and stop caring. Given the way Cleveland plays such iso-heavy basketball, the only way either of those guys will get the ball is if their man doubles off of them onto Lebron.

What's kept them in it has been the offensive rebounding from Mozgov and Thompson (the Canadian one), the disparity in free throw attempts (which btw is not entirely the fault of the refs), and cold shooting from the Warriors.

I could also go at length about how I don't think Dellavedova is defending Curry at as great a level as everyone seems to think. But he is providing a HUGE spark for the Cavs because of his willingness to dive for loose balls.

brucebanner
06-10-2015, 07:17 AM
J.M - I totally agree

Max - I side with legendary, even if the Warriors are choking.

Sexualbanana - I don't disagree with your point of view but even with LBJ having terrible percentages, they still have pay so much attention to him because he does everything so well.

Thompson is a beast on the glass. Mozgov has played very well too, offensively and defensively.

As far as FT attempts, GSW don't attack the rim, that isn't their style.

I don't think Delly is playing elite level defense but the numbers in this series suggest otherwise. He is keeping a body on curry and making him work for everything though. I also think the pick and rolls that Curry is being forced to defend against is taking some energy from him as well.

Regardless, it's been an awesome series to watch so far. I am a LeBron fan, so I'm kind of leaning for the Cavs to win but in reality I'm a Raps fan so it really doesn't matter to me who wins, I'm enjoying the show.

4doorj
06-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Don't know who to cheer for, but these series so far is awesome. Couldn't ask for a more exciting series.

.... Go raptors go... next year!

lasimmon
06-10-2015, 08:50 AM

My criticism of Lebron is well documented, so take my opinions for whatever it's worth, but it's mostly GSW choking and some bad tactics.

Strategically, GSW should be okay with Lebron putting up his kinds of numbers. He's going to average 35 points and damn near a triple-double every game this series, but at the cost of multiple possessions. He's been a sub-35% shooter from the field and a borderline sub-20% shooter from behind the arc this post-season. Factor in that he's shooting 75% from the line, and it becomes apparent that he's wasting a lot of possessions. Not only that but ultimately, Lebron can get his points whenever he wants. What is more dangerous is giving opportunities for guys like JR Smith and Shumpert to shoot and get hot, because they are both the type of player (JR especially) who, if they don't get the ball early, will start to check out of games and stop caring. Given the way Cleveland plays such iso-heavy basketball, the only way either of those guys will get the ball is if their man doubles off of them onto Lebron.

What's kept them in it has been the offensive rebounding from Mozgov and Thompson (the Canadian one), the disparity in free throw attempts (which btw is not entirely the fault of the refs), and cold shooting from the Warriors.

I could also go at length about how I don't think Dellavedova is defending Curry at as great a level as everyone seems to think. But he is providing a HUGE spark for the Cavs because of his willingness to dive for loose balls.

You mad bro?

sexualbanana
06-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

You mad bro?

Yup. GSW needs to go to the line more often. They got the Cavs in bonus with 8 minutes left in Q1 of game 1, and didn't go to the line for 6 minutes. Comparatively, GSW shot half as many free throws as the Cavs in game 3, and that's not just because Lebron gets calls. They're settling a little too much for 3s, especially at times when they aren't shooting particularly well. They need to look for easier baskets.

Manhattan
06-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Major shift in Vegas on title odds. GSW started as major favorites somewhere around 7-3. Now they've flipped to 7-4 favoring the Cavs.

I STILL think GSW will win. It would be an awesome time to get in on the "underdog" bet at a discount. Cleveland is so banged up I don't see them keeping up these heroic performances.

sexualbanana
06-15-2015, 03:10 PM
If GSW wins and the NBA is intent on giving the Finals MVP to a player on the winning team, I think it would have to go to Iguodala unless Curry goes off for 40+ in the eliminating game(s).

Otherwise, if the league is okay with giving it to a player on the losing team (and I think Jerry West was the only player to ever get it after losing), then it would have to go to Lebron.

If the Cavs win it, then it very obviously goes to Lebron.

Agree or disagree?

Manhattan
06-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Has there ever been co-MVPs? Maybe Iggy gets it along with Curry. But my bet is Curry gets the MVP straight up.

I don't think MVP will go to a losing team even though Lebron has been outstanding which is an understatement. The numbers he's putting up is just what happens when you play on a terrible team and you have to jack up all the shots. They don't have any other playmakers unless you count JR Smith :rofl: . Cavs look like the Lakers when Kobe was a one man team.

max_boost
06-15-2015, 04:08 PM
GSW in 7.

Steph Curry MVP. Props. Incredible year!

sexualbanana
06-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Nailed it

LongCity
06-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Go Spurs Go!

4doorj
06-17-2015, 07:22 AM
Man curry is nutso!!! He's sooo good
The better team won!
Awesome series.

hurrdurr
06-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Good call Sexy Banana.

I was thinking when I looked at Iggy's stats and watching how he's played that he could possibly be MVP but didn't think that they would actually not give it to Steph.

Great series, would have been a lot more interesting had Love and Kyrie been active.

Manhattan
06-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Shaping up to be an interesting draft.

My predictions:

- Towns, Russell, Hezonja (Croatians are born to ball) will be the stars of this draft class
- Porzingis will be a "bust"
- Still undecided on Mudiay...he has the speed of John Wall with the body of Tyreke Evans with Rondo's jumper

sexualbanana
06-22-2015, 09:50 AM

- Still undecided on Mudiay...he has the speed of John Wall with the body of Tyreke Evans with Rondo's jumper

I'm really intrigued about Mudiay. I've been advocating for years that one-and-dones should go play overseas rather than play one year in the NCAA. He's doing it for almost exactly the same reasons, too. He's going to be the test case for how effective it could be.

Manhattan
06-22-2015, 01:47 PM
^

Except he went to the worst league possible. Brandon Jennings did the same thing a few years back. He played in a higher quality Euro league.

sexualbanana
06-22-2015, 03:26 PM
^

Except he went to the worst league possible. Brandon Jennings did the same thing a few years back. He played in a higher quality Euro league.

Jennings did it because he was ineligible. Didn't do so well on an admissions test. Tested again and did well. The NCAA wanted Jennings to write a third time because of the discrepancy. He did, but also decided 'fuck it'.

The CBA isn't really that bad, plus they offered him $1 million+.

Manhattan
06-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Marbury is a MVP caliber player in the CBA. JR Smith lit up the league last year. Yi Jianlian is still a star there. Total garbage players. In terms of pro ball I don't think you can do much worse with the exception of the Phillippines where Pacqiao is actually on a roster.

sexualbanana
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Marbury is a MVP caliber player in the CBA. JR Smith lit up the league last year. Yi Jianlian is still a star there. Total garbage players. In terms of pro ball I don't think you can do much worse with the exception of the Phillippines where Pacqiao is actually on a roster.

Euro Leagues have been strip mined of talent, too.

But my argument is that, from a player development standpoint, playing pro overseas (anywhere) frees you up from the time restrictions that the NCAA places on student-athletes. Plus, you're still playing against grown men (insert joke about short Chinese people here), rather than the same 18-22 year olds who are still developing physically that you played against in high school and AAU.

Also, just about every league in the World except the NCAA and American high schools play with a 24-second shot clock. So again, I think it does a better job simulating the NBA game than NCAA does.

From a financial standpoint, you'll probably receive a hefty sum of money from whatever team takes you, so that helps you out financially (if your family is in need right away). And provides, what I think, would be a much smoother transition from being a starving student-athlete to multi-multi-millionaire overnight.

sexualbanana
06-23-2015, 09:31 AM
I stand corrected. I forgot Mudiay went to Prime Prep, which is a pretty solid sign he probably was ineligible to play in NCAA too.

sexualbanana
07-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Well, the Deandre Jordan Saga was fun while it lasted.

J.M.
07-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Wesley Matthews is the real winner here lol. He's getting paid an extra $13 million on his contract since Deandre Jordan backed out of the deal with the Mavs.

beyond_ban
07-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
Wesley Matthews is the real winner here lol. He's getting paid an extra $13 million on his contract since Deandre Jordan backed out of the deal with the Mavs.

Can't believe he got a max contract coming off of an achilles tear :nut:

brucebanner
07-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Can't believe he got a max contract coming off of an achilles tear :nut:
You're telling me! He's not even a max player 100% healthy.

Lots of action and movement through free agency though. Some surprises too. What's everyone's take on the shifting of players?

J.M.
07-10-2015, 07:12 PM

You're telling me! He's not even a max player 100% healthy.

Lots of action and movement through free agency though. Some surprises too. What's everyone's take on the shifting of players?

I'm kinda choked Raptors let Lou Williams walk off to the Lakers. I think they overpaid a bit for Joseph.

Surprised David West gave up a lot of guaranteed money ($12mil?) for vet minimum to join the Spurs. Would be really surprised if Spurs weren't in the Finals next season.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming season. Lots of young guys getting extensions too - Anthony Davis (5year/$145mil), Lillard (5year/$120 mil), etc.

Mavs are looking to scoop up D. Williams from the Nets if they buy him out.

brucebanner
07-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I enjoyed having Lou last season but he's either on or off. I don't like that they let him go but I don't exactly hate it either. I think overall the Raptors got better.

Carroll is a great pickup if he continues to play like he was last year, I do think Hawks basketball suits him better though.

Biyombo/Joseph/Scola are all good signings as well. I do think Joseph is a little pricey but I think he can turn into a better defensive 6th man for the Raps and if he does, it's money well spent.

Can't believe West left so much money on the table but I guess he's had a wealthy career, just wants the ring now to cap it off. Spurs are looking fantastic on paper, the west is going to be brutally tough once again.

Davis is a no brainer, best player not named LeBron and he's only getting better. Apparently working on his corner 3s, look out NBA.

D Will best years are far behind him, although I'm interested to see what he could do with the Mavs if he can stay healthy enough.

Deandre Jordan debacle was ridiculous. It's beyond brutal for the Mavs, they have to scramble big time for a center. Total domino affect on the league too I think.

The Heat are shaping up to be a wildcard team if they can stay relatively healthy. I think they'll be sneaky dangerous. Hard to pick anyone out of the east but the Cavs though, can't really bet against LeBron.

J.M.
07-10-2015, 10:23 PM
The Mavs got fucked around big time by Deandre Jordan. Tyson Chandler ended up signing with Phoenix because of the whole thing I think. Apparently DJ stopped answering calls/texts from Cuban and Parsons haha. Just overall a shitty way to conduct business on his end.

Totally forgot the Raptors added Biyombo and Scola. I liked Vazquez on the team as well, pretty solid backup to Lowry.

This has got to be the most active free agency period I've ever seen.

Amare has fallen off a long time ago. Surprised the Heat still signed him.

Sonny Weems is another player I never thought I'd see play in the NBA again, last played for the Raptors in '10-'11. 2 year/$5.8mil isn't bad considering he's been out of the league for a couple years.

Anyone catch the draft? Saw a clip where Knicks fans were booing their own pick :rofl:

sexualbanana
07-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
The Mavs got fucked around big time by Deandre Jordan. Tyson Chandler ended up signing with Phoenix because of the whole thing I think. Apparently DJ stopped answering calls/texts from Cuban and Parsons haha. Just overall a shitty way to conduct business on his end.

Totally forgot the Raptors added Biyombo and Scola. I liked Vazquez on the team as well, pretty solid backup to Lowry.

This has got to be the most active free agency period I've ever seen.

Amare has fallen off a long time ago. Surprised the Heat still signed him.

Sonny Weems is another player I never thought I'd see play in the NBA again, last played for the Raptors in '10-'11. 2 year/$5.8mil isn't bad considering he's been out of the league for a couple years.

Anyone catch the draft? Saw a clip where Knicks fans were booing their own pick :rofl:

The Raptors desperately needed to overhaul their roster to get more defense-oriented guys. They were awful last year and guys like Williams and Vasquez - guys who visibly don't give a shit on D - had to go. Williams will do well in LA, though. He seems to fit their style well, and backing up Kobe is going to be good for him.

They also needed to get away from their iso-heavy style of offense. It baffles me how they went from having one of the highest assist rates, as a team, last year to basically worst this year without any major changes. They relied too heavily on hero ball from Lowry and Williams to be sustainable long-term. Some of the shots that Lowry had to hit were ridiculous.

The DJ Saga is hilarious because of how it went down. The Great Emoji War aside, teams clearly showed a lack of trust in DJ to make his choice. First, Chandler Parsons went out to dinner with DJ nights in a row to make sure things were good. Then the moment he leaves, he has second thoughts and tells the Clippers. The Clippers then go to his house the night before the moratorium lifts, and vows not to leave his house until he signs his extension at 12:01am. Clearly, neither the Mavs or the Clippers were like 'Well, he's made his choice. He knows what he doing."

Another thing I thought was funny was how the whole thing has been described as a "hostage situation", where the Clippers weren't even going to let Cuban and Parsons in the door to meet with DJ. DJ's a grown man and can make whatever decision he wants, but I wonder if this "hostage situation" can be construed as tampering by the Clippers.

Also, a part of my wonders if this was like a Doc Rivers/Steve Ballmer masterplan to screw over any team that thought they had a chance at Deandre. That would be pretty funny.