PDA

View Full Version : Ugghhhhh, do I have to replace this panel?

StreetRacerX
10-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Wife just got back from picking up her mother and gave me the great news that when she backed into the garage she caught the frame on the driverside.

Just by the fact the seam between the rear bumper and quarter is fucked tells me I'm in for an expensive ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DragonFaust/Mobile%20Uploads/20141004_152722.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DragonFaust/Mobile%20Uploads/20141004_152749.jpg

Any guestimates on what we can expect to shovel out for it? Is it possible to PDR, have a bodyshop work the metal, and just repaint the quarter and rear bumper?

lamp_shade_2000
10-04-2014, 04:50 PM
I had similar damage to my 06 Cadillac CTS a couple of years ago. Someone hit me in a parking lot, luckily I was walking to the car and saw them hit it.

I went through insurance so not sure what the price would be but I do know that they were able to repair it without replacing the panel and it looked as good as new when the work was completed. I think it was in the $1500-$2000 range including refinishing one of my wheels.

Tik-Tok
10-04-2014, 05:13 PM
From everything tomco has posted, that's not pdr'able.

Anomaly
10-04-2014, 05:39 PM
haha, women. :cry:

lamp_shade_2000
10-04-2014, 05:55 PM
That's not a PDR job. You can tell as soon as you see the paint flaking off. Body shop will hammer it out, fill and repaint. We repainted part of my quarter panel and the full rear bumper - mostly cause it had been painted before and previous job was shit.

Take it to a body shop and get a few quotes. Sad to see, I'm assuming this was the SRT8? Life goes on and it could've been much worse.

StreetRacerX
10-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Yes sir its the SRT8 which despite being the daily/winter beater I am quite adamant about maintaining. Looks like I have some running around to do next week. Does anyone know of any body shops open on the weekend? I doubt I'll be off work early enough to go hunting for quotes during the week.

Cooked Rice
10-05-2014, 04:08 PM
I'd guess 4 hours in the bodyshop for the panel repair. 1.5 hours for RnR of the back bumper, 0.5 for the bumper repair if the plastic isn't gouged too deeply. And then 1.5 for the panel refinish and 1.0 for the bumper. Plus paint and materials, perhaps some new plastic hardware for the bumper. Assuming it's not metallic, they shouldn't have too many issues blending the black paint into the existing paintwork.

lamp_shade_2000
10-05-2014, 04:11 PM
K & J Autobody near the 32 ave connector is usually open on Saturdays. They are the guys who repaired my CTS with similar damage 2 years ago.

StreetRacerX
10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
K & J Autobody near the 32 ave connector is usually open on Saturdays. They are the guys who repaired my CTS with similar damage 2 years ago.

I'll pay them a visit this Saturday

StreetRacerX
10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Figured I'd give this an update, after calling around I've decided to go to a small shop just SW of Calgary called Alternate Restoration, they deal primarily with muscle car restorations but work on everything else as well. I met with Byron and he explained step by step what they would do to rectify the issue, I received a detailed quote shortly after and I booked the Jeep in for late October.

The bottom line of the quote is roughly $1400

(Pictures to come when work is done)

Kloubek
10-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Isn't it crazy how much it costs to fix really quite minor damage?

J.M.
10-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Isn't it crazy how much it costs to fix really quite minor damage?

:werd:

Hallowed_point
10-20-2014, 11:47 AM
I hope your wife is paying for it..$$$ or in other ways ;)

Dumbass17
10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
don't bother getting it done til after winter. What if someone hits you during winter? :dunno:

Hallowed_point
10-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
don't bother getting it done til after winter. What if someone hits you during winter? :dunno:

I disagree...I'd hate to see rust begin to form and spread (if that piece is metal.) Plus it won't get any cheaper to fix. Plus winter is busy season for body shops. Get it done now. :hitit:

StreetRacerX
10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

This crossed my mind shortly after it happened but i decided to get it done ASAP as I'm expecting a baby in less than a month and didn't want it to be put on the backburner or be something that gets forgotten and becomes progressively worse with time, as for getting hit I'm not too worried about that as although its the daily driver, it is used less than a handful of times each week and the wife doesn't like to drive (now i see why :rofl: )

TomcoPDR
12-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
Is it possible to PDR, have a bodyshop work the metal, and just repaint the quarter and rear bumper?

Not complete PDR.... Pending on results you're looking for (you want it back to showroom, then bodyshop), or are you flipping it and or selling within 2 years ish? If so, and ur willing to do some running around... see if you can source out to PDR "push 2 paint" (PDR tech push the damage to a point where a good PDR tech can get it so all a bodyshop does is sand and high fill primer (no bodyfiller), shittier techs will make it lumpy/not perfect flat and there'll be minimal bodyfiller (but you're blowing ur $$$ cause shit PDR tech will piss the bodyman off to charge you more hours fixing the ridge)... and if you're not really keeping the vehicle long term; skip the professional bodyshop step; just use one of those "spot repair" type of business and just blend in that area.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
From everything tomco has posted, that's not pdr'able.

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
That's not a PDR job.

xnvy
12-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Aww not the beast! Glad to see it's okay. Nice news about the baby too :thumbsup:

StreetRacerX
01-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Hahaha

Wife was rear ended at a red light

It's been just over a month since the quarter panel was repaired.

http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v335/DragonFaust/IMG_0232.jpg~320x480

Can't see it in the picture but there's a large crack to the right of the exhaust extending just over 2 feet in the bumper.

StreetRacerX
01-24-2015, 02:17 PM
The picture of the repair to the driver side quarter panel that's long overdue
http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v335/DragonFaust/20150124_114722.jpg~320x480

Rear bumper after wash
http://rsmg.pbsrc.com/albums/v335/DragonFaust/20150124_114739.jpg~320x480