PDA

View Full Version : Extraordinary nature documentary

Christian@IE
10-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I've always been keen on animal and nature documentaries and have seen hundreds over the years but I recently stumbled across Hidden Kingdoms, available on Canadian Netflix, which is simply on another level.

The cinematography and incredible detail are perfectly executed, but what really raises the bar is that it's filmed from from the perspective of the animals themselves. Although it is all authentic footage, it is presented in the style of a Hollywood action film while still maintaining the integrity of a documentary.

If you're a fan of nature docs, I highly recommend that you check this out.

Seth1968
10-05-2014, 11:18 AM
My favorite movie genre is documentaries.

I'm looking forward to watching this one. Thanks for the recommendation:)

C_Dave45
10-05-2014, 12:13 PM
^ LOVE documentaries. Channel surfing the other day I stumbled across one of the best documentaries about the mob I've ever seen on History Channel.

"Definitive Guide to the Mob", a 2 hour doc, interviewing Michael Franzese, one of the only truly made guys who, so far, has quit the mob and still alive.

As a little kid in Vancouver's East End in the 60's and 70's, I grew up closely associated with many members of the mob. It was only when I was older did I realize what I grew up in.

Part 1

b0gtpiDiT6I

FixedGear
10-05-2014, 01:19 PM
OP did you see Microcosmos

_h4yQGPXlOE

msommers
10-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks Christian! Have to check that one out.

Dave, is that on Netflex or available somewhere readily?

Seth1968
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Christian@IE
I've always been keen on animal and nature documentaries and have seen hundreds over the years but I recently stumbled across Hidden Kingdoms, available on Canadian Netflix, which is simply on another level.

The cinematography and incredible detail are perfectly executed, but what really raises the bar is that it's filmed from from the perspective of the animals themselves. Although it is all authentic footage, it is presented in the style of a Hollywood action film while still maintaining the integrity of a documentary.

If you're a fan of nature docs, I highly recommend that you check this out.

I just watched the first episode.

There is no cinematography. It's CGI.

Still awesome though!

Christian@IE
10-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

I just watched the first episode.

There is no cinematography. It's CGI.

Still awesome though!
I looked it up after reading your post and it looks like they combined new advanced filming techniques, like 3D cameras and miniature tracking systems, with CGI elements to get some of the effects.

Still worth watching in my opinion if you can appreciate it for what it's worth.

CanmoreOrLess
10-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Hidden Kingdoms, it is available at the library. I use MetaCritic for searching out worthwhile reviews, here is the doc. list:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/movies/genre/date/documentary

Seth1968
10-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Christian@IE

I looked it up after reading your post and it looks like they combined new advanced filming techniques, like 3D cameras and miniature tracking systems, with CGI elements to get some of the effects.

Still worth watching in my opinion if you can appreciate it for what it's worth.

To which I certainly do.

It's pretty tough to get natural movement with CGI. Especially with slow movement (like the elephants), or fast movement (like the butterflies and birds).

Looking forward to watching Microcosmos as well.