PDA

View Full Version : New router, old NAS, need help...

ricosuave
10-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

I've got a new Asus RT-r56u router and was just hooking it up to my network. Working great there, got the printer, chromecasts all set up, etc.

But, I've got a D-Link DNS-323 that isn't playing nice.

I can log into the NAS and ping it though 192.168.x.x but when trying to use the D-Link Easy Share utility to map the drives, it can't see it.

I've disabled the anti-virus, the windows firewall has the right permissions, the router has its own firewall, and it's disabled. I've gone through literally every setting in both the routers screen and the NASs screen, including setting the NAS with a static address, no luck.

The internet isn't that helpful, and I'm sure its a router setting because I had no such problems with my previous Linksys WRT-160N running dd-wrt - just click on the Easy Search utility and go.

What else could I be missing?

ricosuave
10-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Well, I was able to use the Easy Search utility and find the NAS on one computer after updating the firmware on the Asus router.

Still can't get the ES utility to work on my computer, but was able to map the drives manually through windows.

Will continue to look into it, but for now, its OK.

eblend
10-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Why were you even bothering with the utility if you could just map it manually?

Those discovery utilities usually rely on broadcast to discover, perhaps your new router has broadcast suppression built in as the device was being too noisy on the network or something. Regardless, those utilities are for noobs, just map directly and forget about it.

revelations
10-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Why were you even bothering with the utility if you could just map it manually?

Those discovery utilities usually rely on broadcast to discover, perhaps your new router has broadcast suppression built in as the device was being too noisy on the network or something. Regardless, those utilities are for noobs, just map directly and forget about it.

:werd: As long as the NAS has a static IP, its the best way to ensure a lasting connection from your pc.

ricosuave
10-05-2014, 01:59 PM
That's how I always did it, it was easy and I didn't have to remember the cryptic shares name LOL