PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here been reached out to via LinkedIn by consultants?

woodywoodford
10-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Twice in the last week I've had consultants from separate firms in NYC message me on LinkedIn with clients "seeking to better understand Canadian O&G developments", and requesting a one hour phone call. One explicitly offered compensation, which sounds alright to me I guess.

My question is, are these deals legit? Anybody know what to expect?

GQBalla
10-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes I have. Almot weekly. Never had one to offer compensation
More so interviews and such. Sounds like a normal head hunt to me though.

What do you specialize In?

Kijho
10-07-2014, 10:38 AM
I've never been asked for phone discussions. I always receive messages from people offering their services or trying to set-up a lunch to show off what they offer. I've never responded to any hah...

LLLimit
10-07-2014, 01:08 PM
The worst is when they get a hold of your office & work cell phone number.

Asian_defender
10-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Your in the city where everyone is looking for staff.
I'm in telecommunications and I get them once a month, worth looking into if your interested in a new career somewhere else. Otherwise just ignore them

AG_Styles
10-07-2014, 06:38 PM
constantly. A lot of them from this city seem pretty snobbish and just state their positions without actually saying what they want. The ones from outside Alberta seem to know how to properly express why they're writing to me.

Haven't had one scam on linkedIn yet because I think it's more a real business networking site and scammers are easily spotted on there with connections or lack thereof.

broken_legs
10-21-2014, 10:55 AM
I've had private research firms contact me via linkedin regarding oilfield information in a certain part of the world.

I gave them my number and they contacted me by phone. They wanted information on companies that I had contractual non-disclosure agreements with. They said they represented investors and hedge funds trying to better understand the 'on the ground situation' They offered $200-$300 USD per hour for info, but seemed to indicate I could ask for more. Although not said directly, my impression was they would pay more money for "privileged" information

told them to sail up the river, never mentioned it to anyone at work. $200 isn't worth your job, professional reputation, and possible legal action.

mrsingh
10-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by LLLimit
The worst is when they get a hold of your office & work cell phone number.

This! Where the heck are they getting this information? I have a feeling they see the company I work for and call the reception.

lasimmon
10-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Poor receptionists putting them through?

I've been contacted a few times. I usually ignore.

Dumbass17
10-21-2014, 11:56 AM
i had to read the title of this thread 4 times lol. looks dyslexic :nut: