PDA

View Full Version : a few questions about Suzuki cappuccino' s and Mazda autozam's

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 01:12 PM
For the fun of it I was thinking of importing one of these. They look like fun little go carts. So far I think my preference lies most with the Suzuki ' s. It would be a blast to have one with a Hayabusa motor in it. It's hard to find any for sale at all though, the Honda beat seems to be the most popular, however the lack of a trunk really kills it for me. No alberta JDM importers seem to deal with them at all, and the only Kei cars I've found is a Beat for sale locally. How easy is it to tune and build one of these? What are they like to own as a little weekend go kart fun car? They seem to be great on gas and a blast to scoot around in, any thoughts?
JDM connection has one of these going at a Japan auction, well two actually.
http://auc.jdmconnection.ca/aj-9nYYm8zYuJ8duM.htm

http://auc.jdmconnection.ca/aj-21kBGphBRXO2u.htm
what would these typically cost landed? Also what's the best years to look for? Seems like the "K6A" series engine is a better bet then the previous belt driven cam shaft one, but what year did the K6A series start?

Thanks for reading this and offering any suggestions

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-07-2014, 01:15 PM
My only question for you Graham, is when did your balls fall off?

I kid I kid.

pheoxs
10-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
My only question for you Graham, is when did your balls fall off?

Says the one with the Miata :bigpimp:

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 01:30 PM
^ oh fuck no, but a 650 kilogram car with a 200hp 'busa motor would be a lot of fun. Just a little project over the winter would be pretty cool

spikerS
10-07-2014, 01:35 PM
well, that car you linked sold for ~$3850. Probably another $3k to get it in a sea can with 1 or 2 others, and a few weeks travel time.

All in probably around $8500

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 01:41 PM
^ouch. Wow. No wonder JDM cars fetch such a mint, I figured shipping to be $2k at most plus plus taxes

xnvy
10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
^If you buy it, I'll get an Autozam AZ-1. Then when you swap your motor I can take all my spares from you! :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Says the one with the Miata :bigpimp:

Don't know what you are talking about, I don't own one :)

xnvy
10-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Wow, James. I thought you were cool...

At least you get a break from the gay jokes! :rofl:

ercchry
10-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
well, that car you linked sold for ~$3850. Probably another $3k to get it in a sea can with 1 or 2 others, and a few weeks travel time.

All in probably around $8500

usually cars are sent ro-ro... then you got to get them from port to here.

ro-ro vs container:

ro-ro: van-$850
20ft container: van-$3500

rule of thumb while using a broker is usually FOB cost+$3500=landed in calgary awaiting your oop

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Wow, James. I thought you were cool...

At least you get a break from the gay jokes! :rofl:

I'm waiting for the right one to pop up to buy next time. Not sure if I want to go spec Miata, monster Miata or build my own in the future...

For now just BRZ build and WRX daily racecar.

xnvy
10-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Spec for wheel to wheel!

Graham, kei car group buy?!? I'm dead serious. I always wanted an AZ-1. Just bought the Miata instead because it's simpler. I'll sell it for an AZ-1 in a heartbeat.

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 03:03 PM
^yeah we could for sure split a sea can. I've wanted an az1 too, but their impossible to come by, much like all Kei cars short of an Alto or a beat.

Eric, pardon my stupidity but what's Ro-Ro? (Single vehicle shipping?) I have no problem driving it back from Vancouver. Lol it would probably cost me $6.59 in gas to do so hahaha

ercchry
10-07-2014, 03:07 PM
roll on, roll off... no container shipping. the $850 is a "estimate" based off the cappuccino... so anything bigger is a bit more, smaller a bit less

xnvy
10-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm optimistically hoping to have an AZ-1 over here by Fall 2016. Probably nothing until I graduate though. And I'd have to sell the Miata first :cry:

Rocket1k78
10-07-2014, 04:52 PM
650 kg with a 200hp Busa motor would be pretty damn fun

Mista Bob
10-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Definitely should go with a Cappucino over an Autozam.
The versatile roof on the Cap is a big bonus if you ask me, plus they look way better IMO. The Autozam always looked like an oversized RC car to me, the antenna placement probably didn't help.

Ran into a guy with a Cappucino once at a 7-11 long ago, they look even better in person.
He was nice enough to let me sit in it so I could figure out if I'd physically fit in it at 6'1, as I was also interested in getting one back then.

If you're around my height, might be able to get away with stock seats.
But some racing seats with less padding and mounted lower would likely make it much more comfortable for head room.

Tik-Tok
10-07-2014, 05:17 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/suzukisock181208.jpg

ercchry
10-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Definitely should go with a Cappucino over an Autozam.
The versatile roof on the Cap is a big bonus if you ask me, plus they look way better IMO. The Autozam always looked like an oversized RC car to me, the antenna placement probably didn't help.

Ran into a guy with a Cappucino once at a 7-11 long ago, they look even better in person.
He was nice enough to let me sit in it so I could figure out if I'd physically fit in it at 6'1, as I was also interested in getting one back then.

If you're around my height, might be able to get away with stock seats.
But some racing seats with less padding and mounted lower would likely make it much more comfortable for head room.

not to mention that the cappuccino is like 1/3rd the price of the az-1 :nut:

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/suzukisock181208.jpg

Epic, so $850 to roll on with that shit? :rofl:

Yeah the Capo ' s to me are the best looking of the Kei cars. As cool as the gull wing doors of the autozam's are, I like the removable hard top, too bad with the top off though, trunk capacity is reduced by a mere 90% :rofl: ah well. Any places/sites for performance suspension and the like? Apparently the Capo ' s are pretty huge with the tuning community in Japan. I'm a hair over 5'10" @180 so I'm not too worried about fitting in one. Although racing seats sound like a damn good idea regardless

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Alright, quick question. So let's budget $4k for a car, with $900 for roll on roll off delivery, how much extra is all the taxes and what not I can expect to pay? This will likely be for an auction grade 3.5 or higher car, so the OOP shouldn't cost anything beyond the inspection fee (as in for repairs). Anybody familiar with the whole auction/JDM import process that can guide me through this? I've imported numerous vehicles from the states before but never anything over seas, so I'm a bit lost with the process to get it from the auction lot onto a boat then to Vancouver.

Tik-Tok
10-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Just curious if you've researched the glass availibility yet. Or did they stop cracking down on jdm windshields and headlamps?

Penguin_Racecar
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
This will likely be for an auction grade 3.5 or higher car, so the OOP shouldn't cost anything beyond the inspection fee (as in for repairs).

I would not jump to this conclusion too soon. Just because it's grade 3.5 or higher doesn't mean it may not need tires (DOT legal), brake pads, other wear and tear items that may pass initial visual inspection. Depending on who you inspect through, they may be sticklers about headlights (DOT rating also), and day time running lights (relatively easy to wire).
I can tell you haven't imported from Japan - it pays to have someone you trust do the leg work. I've skipped on quite a few grade 4 cars because of obvious dents on auction sheets, but also because the person physically looking at it at auction has said to pass on a car. Not everything's all rainbows and puppies because a car is classified as a high auction grade.

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 07:32 PM
^yeah its just that whole middleman thing that I was trying to avoid, I could use a broker like Tyee imports or JDM connection, but I figure they'd likely add about 10-15% + to the auction cost. Are middle men the way to avoid until expected surprises? I figured a 4.0 or so vehicle would have the tires taken into account.... perhaps not

No Tik Tok I haven't priced out glass, but with the JDM source and the like, as well as many places that do custom auto glass, I haven't given it too much thought. Why do you ask? Does JDM glass not fly with Canadian standards (again I'm new to this JDM stuff)

loweg
10-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Currently own a beat, a couple altos and have owned a Subaru sambar in the past.

I'll start with the beat, bought it stock out of Vancouver already imported. Took it home and tore it apart. Really easy to find and order parts as there is inly one model of beat (all be it a couple minorly different versions) in japan and there is a cult like following in japan . Google meet the beat! Strictly a summer car. Put maybe 800 km on it this summer. Have somewhat run out of stuff to do with it so it's just a summer cruiser. Might order a hardtop if I can organize container shipping with jdm source.

Alto. Harder to find parts as there is not as much aftermarket support do the older altos. I would suspect this is more based on age. Some things cross over with suzuki carry. Many different models. Combinations I 2wd, 4wd, sohc f6a engine, Dohc f6a engine, f5-a engine. Many fig freeing ones. Building one... Well both into 4wd winter warriors. Waiting for the wife to tell me I need to get rid of one. Fun cars to drive .

Sambar- spent many moons driving this thing for work. Very functional. Put about 90,000 km on it and it started falling apart. Easy to work on cheap parts. Lots of looks. Was very functional for my aquarium business. Really required nothing more than normal tune up stuff for the first 100k of it's life.

I think I'll probably keep an alto around for grocery store runs, take to hockey a couple nights a week in the winter. Get rid of the beat when it becomes legal in USA as it will likely fetch some coin down there. And I think my next project will be a nissan pao. Not kei, but something my 1.5 and 3 yr old can enjoy with me. Maybe a cappuccino for summer me time
If you wanna go for a rip in the beat or alto let me now

Tik-Tok
10-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

No Tik Tok I haven't priced out glass, but with the JDM source and the like, as well as many places that do custom auto glass, I haven't given it too much thought. Why do you ask? Does JDM glass not fly with Canadian standards (again I'm new to this JDM stuff)

Nope, officially they have to be DOT approved (which they aren't) I remember hearing people complaining of a crackdown on it a few years ago, but have no idea if that's been alleviated.

If the same headlights/glass are used on another Suzuki, that also had a North American model, then you should be able to source those.

Graham_A_M
10-07-2014, 08:01 PM
^f ml, frick, I'll contact JDM connection and see what my options are

Originally posted by loweg
Currently own a beat, a couple altos and have owned a Subaru sambar in the past.

I'll start with the beat, bought it stock out of Vancouver already imported. Took it home and tore it apart. Really easy to find and order parts as there is inly one model of beat (all be it a couple minorly different versions) in japan and there is a cult like following in japan . Google meet the beat! Strictly a summer car. Put maybe 800 km on it this summer. Have somewhat run out of stuff to do with it so it's just a summer cruiser. Might order a hardtop if I can organize container shipping with jdm source.

Alto. Harder to find parts as there is not as much aftermarket support do the older altos. I would suspect this is more based on age. Some things cross over with suzuki carry. Many different models. Combinations I 2wd, 4wd, sohc f6a engine, Dohc f6a engine, f5-a engine. Many fig freeing ones. Building one... Well both into 4wd winter warriors. Waiting for the wife to tell me I need to get rid of one. Fun cars to drive .

Sambar- spent many moons driving this thing for work. Very functional. Put about 90,000 km on it and it started falling apart. Easy to work on cheap parts. Lots of looks. Was very functional for my aquarium business. Really required nothing more than normal tune up stuff for the first 100k of it's life.

I think I'll probably keep an alto around for grocery store runs, take to hockey a couple nights a week in the winter. Get rid of the beat when it becomes legal in USA as it will likely fetch some coin down there. And I think my next project will be a nissan pao. Not kei, but something my 1.5 and 3 yr old can enjoy with me. Maybe a cappuccino for summer me time
If you wanna go for a rip in the beat or alto let me now oh for sure man, I'd love to

Zero102
10-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Please keep updating this thread. Every year I toy with the idea of buying a cappucino :nut:

They seem like they would be wicked fun at auto-x. I've only had my focus 1 year but I'm already getting bored of it :D

Graham_A_M
10-08-2014, 08:19 AM
^k, I'll give JDM connection a call and see what the deal is when they open

Edit: so I just talked to Will at JDM, apparently despite a 300k yen car in japan (so about $3.3k CAD here) will still cost about $8-10k by the time it's on the road. Yikes, it's about $5k over and above the cost of the car initially. The glass nor headlights need to changed at all, but he agreed roll on and off is the cheapest, so any other thoughts?

ercchry
10-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah... use a better broker :rofl:

GQBalla
10-08-2014, 09:00 AM
what broker do you recomment?

Graham_A_M
10-08-2014, 09:12 AM
^Frick, anything is better then paying $5k

J.M.
10-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Check out Pacific Coast Auto. Guy named Derrick? runs it in Japan, he exports quite a bit of cars to Canada and I believe he is from Alberta. He usually updates his youtube page with cars he buys for customers at auction/dealer.

My buddy went to some auctions with him when he went to Japan and the person he was travelling with ended up getting a GT4. PM me with your email if you want the spreadsheet he sent me to calculate the costs of importing.

Graham_A_M
10-08-2014, 09:43 AM
^ sure will do. Someone PM 'd me about this place called Boss imports, looks pretty good. Decent deals, JM, they have a mint R34 for $2k if your interested. Sure I'll pm you my email addy

GQBalla
10-08-2014, 10:34 AM
I looked up Boss imports on google. His domains are expired, blog hasn't been updated in a year.

Did you just call him?

ercchry
10-08-2014, 10:36 AM
he moved to BC, just imports for friends now

GQBalla
10-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Is he looking for potential clients still?

ercchry
10-08-2014, 10:44 AM
he could be? his contact info should be on the blog if you want to ask

BoostinAround
10-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I bring in a few cars a year for friends as well as my own use. Just PM me and I can help you out.