PDA

View Full Version : Junior A Hockey...Max Bell

C_Dave45
10-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Junior A hockey is well underway already.

If you're looking to watch good Junior hockey, enjoy cheap beer and a good burger or dog, and sit at ice level if you want, come tonight to Max Bell and help support a local team.

Only $15 to get in. Calgary playing Canmore tonight.

lasimmon
10-07-2014, 04:11 PM
$15? That seems quite pricey to be honest.

ExtraSlow
10-07-2014, 04:32 PM
I don't know, tickets to the Hitmen are $15-26 each, plus you'll pay for parking, and the concessions are a terrible rip-off. True Jr hockey like what Dave is talking about is a lot of fun to watch, and you can get very close.

I'll be taking my kids again this year. They had a blast last time.

C_Dave45
10-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
$15? That seems quite pricey to be honest.

:facepalm: Wow...are you really that cheap??

Amazing. No wonder small business and sports venues can't survive in this epicenter of oil money.
Just so I'm clear, you'll gladly go into a Starbucks, order two grande, espresso machiatos with an extra shot for you and a friend and drop $15, but two hours of good hockey at ice level seats is "too expensive"??

I realize there's not the lure of a jumbotron, exploding Tshirts out of canons, and free pizza for the loudest screamers...

It seems now days there two types of hockey "fans". The corporate CEO's who think nothing of dropping $500-1000 for a couple hours of meaningless hockey, while they talk business...and then the face-painted, redneck who wants to be seen on the big screen or god forbid, hit the holy grail and get a half-a-second spot on CBC, meanwhile paying $7.50 for draught beer and getting hammered while watching a game from 300 feet away and still dropping well over $100.

This isn't PeeWee hockey. The Calgary Canucks go back over 40 years, with one of the best records in Junior hockey. Their alumni consists of many NHL'ers, with last years Ben Thomas and Landon Welykholowa both being called up to the Hitmen and Thomas getting drafted.

I feel sorry for these kids. While most will never hit the NHL, a lot will go on to Canadian and US Collegiate hockey on scholarships. Towns like Canmore, Camrose, Brooks, hell even Okotoks, regularly sell out their 1,000 seat arenas for every game, yet the Calgary Canucks are lucky if they get 200 people. Mostly parents and friends.

What you WILL find are players playing their hearts out and only too glad to "high 5" little kids standing bench side and at the end of the periods.

I've had seasons tickets for the past 3 years now, and my son has managed to get on as their dressing room attendant. I've given up on going to NHL games, dropping 3 or 4 hundred dollars just to watch a boring 2-1 game.

Yes, if $15 is too much for you, then I'd save your money for the next $10,000 50-50 ticket at a Flames game.

I'm off to the game. Seeya!

CivicTunr
10-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Its cause one has a fan base and the other doesn't. One is on tv, its easy to follow stats, and see game highlights on tv. It gets talked about. And the other isn't.

As well its because okotoks is a small community and has nothing really. So this hockey thing is their big thing, they dont have to compete against an NHL and WHL team for seats.

Also they will have to compete against university teams as well. Which all students get in free for. Or is cheaper than your Junior A. And i believe most university hockey students played in the WHL because they get money to go to school after? So better hockey for free.

MrSector9
10-07-2014, 10:09 PM
I really need to get to some of these games, its down the street from my house, the games are cheap and the hockey is good.. i feel like a dick for not going to be honest.

r3ccOs
10-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Its the highest level of Jr. Non-professional hockey next to NCAA

I'd say the caliber of the players are very close to those in the CHL and there are many many players, especially defencemen who make the show undrafted who played Jr A

C_Dave45
10-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

And i believe most university hockey students played in the WHL because they get money to go to school after? So better hockey for free.
WHL players receive tuition and expenses for each year they play in the WHL. But they lose their amature status once they play 6 games, IIRC, in the majors, making them ineligible for any NCAA college/universirty. So unless they have a high likeleyhood of a long WHL career, or making it to the show, a lot of players will opt to stay in the CJHL so they can qualify for NCAA scholarships.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
Its the highest level of Jr. Non-professional hockey next to NCAA

I'd say the caliber of the players are very close to those in the CHL and there are many many players, especially defencemen who make the show undrafted who played Jr A
Well said.

dezmarez
10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Agreed C_Dave45.

My gf's cousin plays on the Canucks this year and I will be at as many games as I can. (I also have had the opportunity to coach him)

I have coached Midget the past few years, and it has been great to see a few of the kids I coached playing in the AJHL, and always make an effort to go to their games when they are in town.

Agree that it is unfortunate that Calgary doesn't support their teams like the rural communities.

One of my midget players was affiliated last year, and called up to play in Okotoks. I was surprised to see their building packed and a number of people sporting the teams jerseys.

Anyway, good on you for supporting them!

Maybe I'll see you at a game or two.

C_Dave45
01-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
Agreed C_Dave45.

My gf's cousin plays on the Canucks this year and I will be at as many games as I can. (I also have had the opportunity to coach him)

I have coached Midget the past few years, and it has been great to see a few of the kids I coached playing in the AJHL, and always make an effort to go to their games when they are in town.

Agree that it is unfortunate that Calgary doesn't support their teams like the rural communities.

One of my midget players was affiliated last year, and called up to play in Okotoks. I was surprised to see their building packed and a number of people sporting the teams jerseys.

Anyway, good on you for supporting them!

Maybe I'll see you at a game or two.
Kind of forgot about this thread. Wondered if any have come to any games? My boy is now on the team as a dressing room attendant. Which means he's on the bench with the trainers, as well as road games, etc. He's loving it.

Dezmarez, who's your g/f's cousin? Is he still with them? They've undergone huge roster changes with all the trades lately. Almost half the team has changed. They're still sitting around second to last, but the team seems to slowly be changing. They beat Brooks the other day (Wednesday) and Brooks went almost undefeated year before last, and took the RBC cup.

We also attended the whole Mac's tourney here last month and went to the Gold Medal game...what a game that was! I've almost lost touch with NHL now. I haven't watched one Vancouver game at all this year.