PDA

View Full Version : Have a donut spare? Read.

clem24
10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Just thought I'd throw out a piece of advice for anyone with a donut spare and planning a road trip or have a trunk full of crap - make sure you remove the Styrofoam tray or whatever else is in the spare wheel well before you leave.

The main issue here is that if you get a flat and you toss your flat into said well, you won't be able to fit the tray back on top. Not normally a problem, but on one trip, I had the hatch in my Subaru loaded with shit and the Styrofoam tray was so big and bulky that there was no where to really put it. I ended up putting it in behind the front seats to the dismay of the rear passengers.

For all future road trips now, I make sure to discard the tray and toss in a full sized spare (i.e. one winter tire) - which is what I've done with my C - toss the tray in my garage and thew in my winter as a spare.

n1zm0
10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I remember the toolkit/plastic-styrofoam that sat in the dummy would always be able to fit back into the punctured tire in Acuras at least, with the rim facing downwards. Put the board/carpet back on and it was just as if the dummy was still in there, flat wih no humps. Must depend on the vehicle I guess.

firebane
10-08-2014, 11:22 AM
That styrofoam is to help the board from collapsing on itself. You take a risk by taking it out.

killramos
10-08-2014, 11:23 AM
It's a subaru! Wheel goes on the roof!

http://www.subiegal.com/gallerymain/subaruevents/rallyschool-mar08/rally-school-subaru-forester.jpg

Seriously though do many people expect their full size to fit in the slot for a spare?

Besides who needs spares...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs24/f/2007/347/f/f/M_POWER_by_matsphoto.jpg

Because ///M POWER

clem24
10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by firebane
That styrofoam is to help the board from collapsing on itself. You take a risk by taking it out.

No not usually.. There board is held on by a ledge in the trunk usually. But still, once I put the full size in my Subaru, the board rested right on top of the wheel!

Pacman
10-08-2014, 03:47 PM
I usually keep a can of "run flat" in the car, along with the spare. If I ever get a flat tire, the run flat gets used first and then the spare if necessary.

killramos
10-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by clem24

No not usually.. There board is held on by a ledge in the trunk usually. But still, once I put the full size in my Subaru, the board rested right on top of the wheel!

That board will snap without them foam to support it.

Thaco
10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
I usually keep a can of "run flat" in the car, along with the spare. If I ever get a flat tire, the run flat gets used first and then the spare if necessary. good way to destory the tire and make it unrepairable... no shop will touch it if you use that crap.. i'd rather put the spare on than wreck a good tire.

ddduke
10-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
good way to destory the tire and make it unrepairable... no shop will touch it if you use that crap.. i'd rather put the spare on than wreck a good tire.

Not a problem if you're a baller.

clem24
10-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by killramos

That board will snap without them foam to support it.

Like I said.. No it wont. And in both my Merc and my Subaru, once the full size goes in, it fills the space perfectly. And if there's a gap because you keep the donut spare, just put something smaller and more disposable in between like a cardboard box. Yeesh.

In any case, people, it's just a piece of advice that I thought I'd pass along because it happened to me. If you don't want to follow that's fine.

mr2mike
10-09-2014, 09:27 AM
A cheap tire plug kit and 12V pump would be better than the "run flat" stuff.

Also this doesn't work if you roast a big hole in your rear tire or ride the tire off the rim formula drifting it home one night.

Rocket1k78
10-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Like I said.. No it wont. And in both my Merc and my Subaru, once the full size goes in, it fills the space perfectly. And if there's a gap because you keep the donut spare, just put something smaller and more disposable in between like a cardboard box. Yeesh.

In any case, people, it's just a piece of advice that I thought I'd pass along because it happened to me. If you don't want to follow that's fine.

Thats what you get for trying to give a little advice:banghead:

Moonracer
10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks clem.....lol

It seems that in a lot of new cars they don't even give you a doughnut spare. You have to use the foam crap and then your tire is done. booooo I hope I don't get a flat

DeleriousZ
10-09-2014, 12:03 PM
For those that run fwd or rwd cars that have a donut and not a full size spare, make sure that if it's a driving wheel that goes flat to swap a full size wheel to the driving wheel and put the spare on the driven wheel.

(on fwd cars, take wheel from rear of car, put on front of car, put donut on rear)

jonnycat
10-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I bolted my spare to the back. Problem solved.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/jonnycat69/temporary-7.jpg (http://s90.photobucket.com/user/jonnycat69/media/temporary-7.jpg.html)