PDA

View Full Version : How often should I clean my gaming rig?

Chemengsait
10-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a gaming rig this past July (memory express put it together for me) and I was wondering how often I should dust the inside, also what's the best method?

Thanks

A790
10-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Every 30 days. Compressed air. Blast away!

Chemengsait
10-09-2014, 02:39 PM
So from the interwebs it just says to hold down the fans when I'm cleaning it, do I need a anti-static wrist band?

Also any thoughts on this? --> http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37982

Jeeper1986
10-09-2014, 05:01 PM
if u have a compressor just hold the fans so they don't spin from the air and blast away and not too close

schocker
10-09-2014, 05:11 PM
^^^That duster is cheaper than I remember. Probably a good buy as compressed air can get expensive. I think costco is like $20 for 12 iirc?

Don't need anti static I just touch something first to make sure I don't have any static on me.

firebane
10-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Jeeper1986
if u have a compressor just hold the fans so they don't spin from the air and blast away and not too close

Do NOT use a compressor
Do NOT spin the fan blades

Also it does not need to be done every 30 days. Look inside the case.. Is there dust built up? No? Then close it and leave it.

A properly built case with fans running the proper direction will have very little dust buildup inside.

Seth1968
10-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Do NOT use a compressor
Do NOT spin the fan blades

Also it does not need to be done every 30 days. Look inside the case.. Is there dust built up? No? Then close it and leave it.

A properly built case with fans running the proper direction will have very little dust buildup inside.

This.

Period.

googe
10-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Depends on how dusty your room is and on the case. You can keep it cleaner by vacuuming your computer room more often.

But it doesn't matter. Even once a year isn't necessary.

Vagabond142
10-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Just make sure to dust it when it needs dusting. Check once a week. If it looks mildly dusty, give it a mighty blow from the lungs. If you open the side case and a family of dust bunnies come out, you've left it too long. As I live in a dusty room, I generally give my computer a squirt of compressed air once a week, just to prevent it from building up too much. Then again, i am OCD when it comes to electronics and dust :eek:

Mista Bob
10-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Taaalk about overkill!

I do mine every 1-2 years and that's with a high airflow case without any dust filters.

Zorac
10-10-2014, 06:50 AM
I do mine about once a year, but thats usually because im in the case already for something else (hard drive, new fan, etc). there is dust in there, but no build up that would impact cooling.

n1zm0
10-10-2014, 07:49 AM
As most people have said, if there's no dust then I usually don't clean it (like if I don't use it for a few months), but I would say I go all out cleaning it in the backyard or garage with a compressed air can about every 6 months or so.

Thaco
10-10-2014, 07:55 AM
i clean it when it thermals

Also, you can use a compressor, as long as it has an air dryer installed on it, and you limit the pressure to like 40psi. As for spinning the fans, unless you're blasting 200psi at it and spinning it faster than it's rated for, you don't need to worry about it moving a few revolutions when you hit it with an air can.

firebane
10-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
i clean it when it thermals

Also, you can use a compressor, as long as it has an air dryer installed on it, and you limit the pressure to like 40psi. As for spinning the fans, unless you're blasting 200psi at it and spinning it faster than it's rated for, you don't need to worry about it moving a few revolutions when you hit it with an air can.

Honestly how many people have a moisture or air cleaner for their compressors?

Also people like the whizzy noise fans make so they spin them fast :P

Seth1968
10-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Honestly how many people have a moisture or air cleaner for their compressors?

Also people like the whizzy noise fans make so they spin them fast :P

Again, THIS.

Also, contaminates (oil).

Use canned compressed air. Before using it, spray it for a second to clear the propellent. Hold it upright at all times and spray no more than about one second bursts.

The important areas are the CPU's heat sink, and the power supply.

In most cases, this is a once a year procedure.