PDA

View Full Version : Best d.d. Under 20k Japanese

Mike09
10-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Curious as to the forums current thoughts are for best daily driver for Calgary under 20k$.
I personally need a newer ride and can't decide.. I dislike Euros and domestic. I am a Nissan fan but open to other Japanese manufactures. I am favouring the 08+ sti hatch but have concerns over engine reliability and a touch over 20k also or S15 Silvia as I love that car. ( not winter friendly tho)
Need it to be fun to drive w/ aftermarket support and reliable and not ugly. Think that covers it.

Opinions? What would you buy?

01RedDX
10-11-2014, 03:57 PM

eglove
10-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Definitely FRS

faiz999
10-11-2014, 04:29 PM
from what ppl were saying about the FRS, im not sure its the best dd for calgary.

we have such shitty roads, id be wary of getting anything with stiff suspension or low to the ground.

how bout g35/g37s?

killramos
10-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Honda Fit

Redlined_8000
10-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Cant go wrong with G35 or G37.

relyt92
10-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Civic SI, Accord Coupe v6, Infiniti G35S sedan or coupe. All can be had for under 20k, should all be reliable and all have a good aftermarket following.

gpomp
10-11-2014, 05:55 PM
My DD is a Honda Fit. :dunno:

dj_rice
10-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Why not just a WRX then.

Boostn
10-11-2014, 06:03 PM
350Z

killramos
10-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
My DD is a Honda Fit. :dunno:

Damn good car! And you can get a new one loaded for 20...

Tik-Tok
10-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Why not just a WRX then.

Or a WRX that looks a little nicer and is a few thousand cheaper ;)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/Screenshot_2014-04-14-20-35-15-1.png

Sadly, I might have to sell mine, because apparently no one in Calgary wants to buy a low mileage civic in manual. :banghead:

01RedDX
10-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Tik-Tok
10-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
AWD turbo boxer with a Swedish makeover > Civic

I know, but I can only keep one, and the Civic's been for sale for months with not a single person looking at it.

max_boost
10-11-2014, 08:37 PM
agreed on frs lol total budget baller fun

Chantastic
10-11-2014, 10:36 PM
If an S15 is anything like an S13 in winter, it would be a blast! But I'd feel bad about wintering one of those. My G35 coupe (6mt/rwd) has been great in winter, but useless if you get caught on all seasons and there's still a touch of snow around. Mind you, my traction control is totally broken.

I've driven better (and much worse) FF cars in winter, but all around the G is great as long as you take it easy - as you should in any car.

pheoxs
10-11-2014, 10:51 PM
I would say get over the domestic fear and get a fiesta. You could either get a St for less than the FRS and more fun or a loaded titanium for 20k.

Sugarphreak
10-11-2014, 11:22 PM

ddduke
10-12-2014, 01:18 AM
You can get an new body style fx35 around 20, not super common at that price range but I have seen quite a few pop up between 19 and 21.

I've also seen quite a few newer tls sh-awd (not sure of year exactly but new body style) for 19-21. Also, not super common but I do see them semi regularly.

All of which I've seen are between 90 and 120k km.

BoostinAround
10-12-2014, 02:39 AM
get 2 S15's 1 spec R for summer and a spec S with winter tires for winter....both will run you around 20k

killramos
10-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I am a big fan of the Fit, and my DD was one for about 3 years... love the car, but never again as a DD.

It is too light in the winter (even with snow tires) and not enough ground clearance.

A solid DD for Calgary needs to be heavier and preferably AWD

Yea it's true but it's good for 95%+ of the days we have.

Now if the the 4wd jdm version drivetrain was here it would solve both the weight and Awd problem.

DeleriousZ
10-12-2014, 08:46 AM
+1 for s15 lol.

or, if you want something a little different, go for a stagea. If you get the type 2 they can come with the rb25det neo engine, they're wagons so they're super practical and most of them are AWD, great for winters lol.

Darkane
10-12-2014, 09:21 AM
TL AWD-SH would be my vote but I'm biased lol.

Super hard to do but if you can land a 2010 6sp its a rad car.

305hp and manual Honda goodness. If you're interested let me know. It won't be for 20 though :)

Mike09
10-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Like the 2 s15 ideas.
Don't think Honda fit is as fun to drive, as other options.
Like the stagea and wrx ideas too.
Can anyone weight in on wrx vs. Sti reliability?

Alot of frs love out but I always see so many for sale soon after purchase. Why? Educate me please.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Mike09
Like the 2 s15 ideas.
Don't think Honda fit is as fun to drive, as other options.
Like the stagea and wrx ideas too.
Can anyone weight in on wrx vs. Sti reliability?

Alot of frs love out but I always see so many for sale soon after purchase. Why? Educate me please.

I can weigh in on this a little. I currently own a 2014 BRZ and a 2002 WRX sedan. The BRZ has a stock powed train and a ton of suspension, wheel and tire and brake mods. The WRX is stage 2 (cat less up and down pipes, Cobb 94 tune), coilovers, minor brake upgrades, minor transmission upgrades, welded rear diff and LSD up front.

Between them, the WRX kills the BRZ in a straight line and on the street. The BRZ actually rides better, and is put together much better as expected. The WRX is noisier and creaky and a bit more challenging to drive around town but the boost just makes it so much fun. Going ten tenths both cars are great fun, which one is faster around a track or auto x, is anyone's guess. My biggest concern with my BRZ is the lack of torque and power especially around town. You really have to be going flat out to enjoy the car. Its ok on the highway though. The WRX is mostly fun anywhere. I have no idea what I am doing with either car currently, both have their ups and downs.

zieg
10-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm still happy with my STi, which I feel is the ultimate year-round Calgary DD under 30k. Yes there have been engine issues in certain years like anything else, the good news is they're pretty easy to take care of. If you can find one that's spent most of its life with a good tune, you're golden. The factory tune caused a lot of issues on the 08+ models but even an OTS Cobb tune would alleviate that.

Plus, 300hp, AWD and the ability to control the AWD like no other is priceless to me.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
I'm still happy with my STi, which I feel is the ultimate year-round Calgary DD under 30k. Yes there have been engine issues in certain years like anything else, the good news is they're pretty easy to take care of. If you can find one that's spent most of its life with a good tune, you're golden. The factory tune caused a lot of issues on the 08+ models but even an OTS Cobb tune would alleviate that.

Plus, 300hp, AWD and the ability to control the AWD like no other is priceless to me.

Honestly I regret not buying a STi when I had the chance a few years ago, I feel like I would still have it and be enjoying it now rather than cycling through lots of other cars.

FixedGear
10-12-2014, 02:52 PM
what about a Mazda 3? or somethign from Hyundai?

Aleks
10-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Damn good car! And you can get a new one loaded for 20...

Closer to 25K before discounts OTR for a loaded 2015.

Hallowed_point
10-12-2014, 05:25 PM
G35 for sure..doesn't the frs/brz still have a joke of an aftermarket? I've heard those cars are very unresponsive to bolt ons. brz is a nice looking car though for that market.

Or perhaps a Sentra/Altima SE-R. I've always thought those would be a fun DD.

pheoxs
10-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
G35 for sure..doesn't the frs/brz still have a joke of an aftermarket? I've heard those cars are very unresponsive to bolt ons. brz is a nice looking car though for that market.

Or perhaps a Sentra/Altima SE-R. I've always thought those would be a fun DD.

It's just as good as any other NA car. You can gain probably 15% hp with just bolt ons and a tune.

Can't touch turbo'd cars where just a tune gives you gobs of free power though.

Darkane
10-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

It's just as good as any other NA car. You can gain probably 15% hp with just bolt ons and a tune.

Can't touch turbo'd cars where just a tune gives you gobs of free power though.

Almost true. The only other NA car in its class RAPES it for bolt on power. Guess which?

Fly Fishin'
10-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Our 98 legacy is still like ass with only minor work being done over the years. Have you looked at any Tommy K. Forrester or Imprezas? A coworker down at distinctive collection had a bat shit crazy Tommy Impreza and it tooled a bunch of the older 911s and M3s.

Sugarphreak
10-13-2014, 12:12 AM

nj2Type-S
10-15-2014, 12:56 PM
a newer tsx would be nice. :)

tehwegz
10-22-2014, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Almost true. The only other NA car in its class RAPES it for bolt on power. Guess which?

06-11 Civic Si. I'm strongly considering one.

Because K series. Solid cars. Not the best handling but pretty damn good for no DWB's (Macs up front/torsion bar rear ... damn you Honda) but one hell of a motor with endless aftermarket support that even Ariel Atom uses it. Interior is pretty nice, too. Manual gearbox as usual for a Honda, has bolt action sniper rifle precision feel to it. I/E/H/KPro 220whp and its giving all the 250-350hp turbo cars a run for their money.

I keep seeing G35...ugh, what's the big deal other than aesthetics? Pig on gas, heavy, slow, stock brakes suck unless it has the Brembo package. Interior is "meh". Sounds pretty mean I guess. Rev-Up engine problematic/excessive oil consumption.

Mike09
10-22-2014, 03:18 PM
I see why people like the G35. Although just sold my 2005G35 last year so likely would not buy another.
The G35 is a great daily driver if you get a good condition one. Good aftermarket (same as Z), awesome drivability and reliable.
I think the FRS/BRZ, S15 spec r or STI 08+ are still my best options and the ones I like the most.
Appreciate all of the input given. thank you.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by tehwegz

06-11 Civic Si. I'm strongly considering one.

Because K series. Solid cars. Not the best handling but pretty damn good for no DWB's (Macs up front/torsion bar rear ... damn you Honda) but one hell of a motor with endless aftermarket support that even Ariel Atom uses it. Interior is pretty nice, too. Manual gearbox as usual for a Honda, has bolt action sniper rifle precision feel to it. I/E/H/KPro 220whp and its giving all the 250-350hp turbo cars a run for their money.

I keep seeing G35...ugh, what's the big deal other than aesthetics? Pig on gas, heavy, slow, stock brakes suck unless it has the Brembo package. Interior is "meh". Sounds pretty mean I guess. Rev-Up engine problematic/excessive oil consumption.

The problem with NA cars like the Si is the ~20% HP reduction at our altitude. The turbo cars with less HP would probably destroy it, and are way cheaper to tune ($500 flash). Great little car, it's just so slow! When I drove it back to back with a regular civic, I found the regular civic felt faster during normal driving since the power peaks are a little lower. Handling, shiftier, & everything else was fantastic in the Si - I just didn't like how that motor delivered power.

bjstare
10-22-2014, 03:43 PM
What about a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T? A buddy of mine has one, upgraded Intercooler, intake, exhaust, flash, and it puts down some great reliable power. And it was less than 20k, incl two sets of wheels/tires.

Redlined_8000
10-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The problem with NA cars like the Si is the ~20% HP reduction at our altitude. The turbo cars with less HP would probably destroy it, and are way cheaper to tune ($500 flash). Great little car, it's just so slow! When I drove it back to back with a regular civic, I found the regular civic felt faster during normal driving since the power peaks are a little lower. Handling, shiftier, & everything else was fantastic in the Si - I just didn't like how that motor delivered power.

To each their own.

I find my civic has just enough mid-range to make it a very livable and fun daily driver. And I love to make it scream to 8500rpm. They are great little cars for sure.

Agreed about the altitude losses. To bad. But end of the day, its not always about the power that makes a car fun. It is the experience of driving and revving it out and that sorta stuff. For me anyway. But then again power is still irreplaceable which is why I have the c63 lol.

msommers
10-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
G35x? Tons out there with reasonable mileage for under 10K
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-infiniti-g35x-3-5-sedan/1025146439?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/mint-condition-infinity-g35x-awd-for-sale/1025080186?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-infiniti-g35x-all-wheel-drive/1024929903?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-infiniti-g35x-x-sedan/1022599877?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Was just thinking of this one too! AWD is great with winters, and with enough space and weight this would be a great DD imo. If I ever go back to the Infiniti side I'd get a G37x coupe for shizzle.