PDA

View Full Version : New Home..Which Utility Providers?

HR-ZD403
10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
My wife and I just purchased our first home which we don't take occupancy until the end of November. We haven't had to worry about having any utilities in our name until now, and were wondering who you use for:

Electrical
Natural Gas
Water/Waste (I believe that's usually included with the above mentioned utilities)

We were also wondering who you might be using for a home security company? We're not planning to get a land line, so we'd need a wireless solution of some sort.

Thanks

killramos
10-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Use Enmax easymax. 1 bill for everything and their prices are comparable to everyone else. Not to mention you can sign up for fixed rates and with 30 days notice switch to variable.

Also no contracts so if you don't like them you can move. For me it was one phone call for everything to be set up on a new build.

As for security i have ADT but many use Vivint, talk to a few dealers about quotes and pick the cheapest for the coverage you want. Wireless will put you in the top tier of costs btw

E46..sTyLez
10-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Use Enmax easymax.

+1

I got Vivint because the insurance savings (both home and vehicle) translated into breaking even after paying for everything Vivint charges me, each year.
So basically I have home security for free (actually, I am up $13.00 per year lol)
It is through Rogers wireless, and everything is controlled by my cell phone, including a live camera feed of my main floor, door locks etc. There is a backup door code if your cell phone is dead/not working.

JamMan23
10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I use Enmax for everything. Like has been said, it's nice just getting one bill, and their prices and terms are competitive.

I believe Enmax is the default for everything except Natural Gas, Direct Energy is the default for that, so you'd have to call and have it switched (which I did).

95EG6P
10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
i use en-max as well

killramos
10-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by JamMan23
I use Enmax for everything. Like has been said, it's nice just getting one bill, and their prices and terms are competitive.

I believe Enmax is the default for everything except Natural Gas, Direct Energy is the default for that, so you'd have to call and have it switched (which I did).

My dad was on direct for years ( like forever) but i convinced him to switch this summer and he is loving it

muse017
10-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Currently Enmax easymax for my townhome and Hudson Energy for my business.
So far so good

avishal26
10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
I used Enmax Easymax ... pretty good - not sure if they're still offering the Easymax rewards or if they switched to a new program.

For alarm system I don't have a landline either so I used United Alarm (works off wi-fi) they are pretty good and always have someone available to answer your call. I am not sure if I will go with them for the new house that I move into sometime in Jan... I only pay $36 monthly - I think Vivint is a lot more.

guessboi
10-14-2014, 08:03 PM
+1 Easymax - one bill - paid by credit card. :thumbsup:

pheoxs
10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't get the obsession with going with enmax just because you get one bill. I signed up with Enrg for 6.9 cents / kWh. Averaging 600kwh per month that saves me 10$ a month over enmax (8.49 cents) It's still direct withdrawal so who cares if electricity and gas are with different providers?

dj_rice
10-14-2014, 09:20 PM
For your alarm portion, I always see alot of houses with United Alarm. A few of my family members are with them, cheap monthly fee and does the job.

For myself being in Edmonton, there was no United, so I opted to get Vivint only because I liked being able to arm/disarm from my phone and get notifications sent to me via mobile. They are a bit pricy at $49.99/month for Basic Home Security but they're customer service is top notch. I've set my alarm off a few times just to test them and they respond within 30 secs-1 min. And calling in, I've been on hold with them for max 1 min, and they resolve any concerns quickly.

roopi
10-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by guessboi

By credit card? I was sure Enmax doesn't take cc. :dunno:

ddduke
10-14-2014, 09:46 PM
DO NOT GO WITH DIRECT ENERGY!

When I moved and set up my services I tried for Enmax, they told me DE was the supplier for that house and it would take 3 months to transfer over...fine, but I need gas now. I called DE, they gave me an earful about the previous owner being behind on payments and how I was now responsible, when I questioned it I got hung up on not once but 3 times, every time right after I asked for their employee number so I could complain about the terrible customer service. So I call back for the 4th time, they force me to pay the previous balance then put down a deposit of $250 for my services (that apparently I'd receive when I cancelled). When I cancelled my final bill was $100ish, I called and they said they'd take it from my deposit and send me cheque for the balance, cheque never came.

Never again.

Coryz
10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by guessboi

How did you set that up? I don't see credit card as a payment option with enmax residential?

roopi
10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Coryz

How did you set that up? I don't see credit card as a payment option with enmax residential?

I really don't think they do.

https://www.enmax.com/home/customer-care/payments

guessboi
10-14-2014, 11:24 PM
^ Canadian Tire Credit Card.
https://www.ctfspayments.com/CTFS_Consumer/InitAuthenticationBillPay.do

HR-ZD403
10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
It looks like Enmax EasyMax takes it by a mile for utilities, I appreciate the input from all of you.

As for the security system I'll check out the few companies you suggested.

Thanks!

killramos
10-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by HR-ZD403
It looks like Enmax EasyMax takes it by a mile for utilities, I appreciate the input from all of you.

As for the security system I'll check out the few companies you suggested.

Thanks!

unfortunately security companies have bad habits of not advertising prices so you have to actually get quotes. Just hold your ground with the sales people and commit to nothing until you finish getting quotes.

whiskas
10-15-2014, 12:30 PM
There are loads of energy retailers out there, each with differing rates. Assuming you're in Calgary, even if you pick a non-Enmax retailer, Enmax will still be your distributor. Retailers basically handle billing and customer support. If there is an outage, Enmax crews will be the ones that show up to fix it, since they own the infrastructure.

This is THE site for picking a retailer: http://ucahelps.alberta.ca/regulated-rates.aspx

HR-ZD403
10-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
There are loads of energy retailers out there, each with differing rates. Assuming you're in Calgary, even if you pick a non-Enmax retailer, Enmax will still be your distributor. Retailers basically handle billing and customer support. If there is an outage, Enmax crews will be the ones that show up to fix it, since they own the infrastructure.

This is THE site for picking a retailer: http://ucahelps.alberta.ca/regulated-rates.aspx

That's a useful link, thanks for sharing.

redevil
12-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
DO NOT GO WITH DIRECT ENERGY!

That's right NEVER GO WITH DIRECT ENERGY REGULATED SERVICES. They are a joke and the customer service line is horrible. They say I owe a bill from 2012 when i have never had an account with them from a townhouse I sold in 2007. I have been trying to get this resolved forever and it has been a nightmare.

Dealing with their incompetent call centres overseas is also a nightmare as they are all robots and cannot think for themselves or provide the proper customer service to help resolve an issue. They basically tell you that you are SOL! :banghead:

NEVER GO WITH DIRECT ENERGY REGULATED SERVICES