PDA

View Full Version : Addiction. Just read it!

Seth1968
10-16-2014, 06:52 AM
This article is so profound and down to earth, that it should be mandatory study in schools. But hey, when is the last time our education system encouraged critical thought?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-creepy-ways-corporations-are-turning-you-into-addict/

Seth1968
10-16-2014, 07:21 AM
BTW- Regardless if you agree or disagree on the article, the way in which the author expresses the opinion, is an art form.

My weakness is being able to perceive such brilliant writing, but not able to equal it.

Darkane
10-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Written very abrasively, but the point got across.

What I'm confused about is anyone who has been in the work force for a few years, or older than eighteen knows this. Do they not?

Seth1968
10-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Written very abrasively, but the point got across.

What I'm confused about is anyone who has been in the work force for a few years, or older than eighteen knows this. Do they not?

Abrasive. That's the word I was looking for. Directly pointing out the obvious with no holds barred.

I already new addiction was a very common human characteristic, but I didn't know how much of a positive impact it made on societal development.

Mibz
10-16-2014, 10:13 AM
EDIT: Not sure why I decided to get involved here.

EDIT 2: Since Seth already responded. I read it. I agree with Darkane that it's stuff I expect everybody on Beyond to already understand, but I think the point of the article (and Seth's point as well) is that kids should be made aware of this at an earlier age. I don't disagree.

I do disagree with Seth's description of the writing, but that's really not the point here.

Seth1968
10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to read it, but you're not off to a good start. Top 10 lists are click-bait, not basins of profound literary philosophy and musings.

I was weary of that as well.

The title conveys sensationalism, but the article most certainly does not.

BananaFob
10-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

I was weary of that as well.

The title conveys sensationalism, but the article most certainly does not.

Only being a grammar nazi because you guys are criticizing writing.
http://grammarist.com/usage/wary-weary/

Just sayin'