PDA

View Full Version : iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9

Strider
10-16-2014, 02:24 PM
I'll probably end up preordering one or the other tomorrow, but it's hard to pick without seeing it in person.

Which would you buy?

As much as I'm an Android fan, the iPad air 2 is quite appealing.

For anyone who's made the switch, how are Google apps for iOS? (drive, maps, hangouts, photos)?

FixedGear
10-16-2014, 02:28 PM
I think the Nexus 9 would be most comparable to the iPad Mini 3, no?

EDIT: there is discussion regarding this comparison in http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/nexus-6/showthread.php?s=&postid=4362461#post4362461

Strider
10-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
I think the Nexus 9 would be most comparable to the iPad Mini 3, no?

EDIT: there is discussion regarding this comparison in http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/nexus-6/showthread.php?s=&postid=4362461#post4362461

8" vs 9" vs 10"
I'd consider the Nexus 9 to be more comparable to the iPad Air 2.

FixedGear
10-16-2014, 02:45 PM
I guess I was just thinking the nexus 9 is the smaller than nexus 10, and iPad mini is smaller than iPad air.

killramos
10-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I'll probably end up preordering one or the other tomorrow, but it's hard to pick without seeing it in person.

Which would you buy?

As much as I'm an Android fan, the iPad air 2 is quite appealing.

For anyone who's made the switch, how are Google apps for iOS? (drive, maps, hangouts, photos)?

They work the same. The market is big enough to justify full development in parallel for everything unless it is deemed a "killer app"

schocker
10-16-2014, 03:13 PM
I think I am going to go with a nexus 9. I had been looking for something bigger than my 7. I am guessing it will be $450 cdn probably so $100 less than the ipad. Would be nice to use the ipad as a second screen for my macbook but all my apps are bought on android already.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2014, 03:16 PM
The Nexus 9 benchmarks should be better than the iPad Air 2 based on preliminaries, but nothing has put the A8X directly against the Tegra K1 that I've seen yet. It's quite a bit faster than the A8 (non-X). I suspect them to be more similar with regular tasks, with the Tegra pulling well ahead for graphic intensive processes, on screen animations, etc.

Slightly better screen on the Nexus 9, but that has a lot to do with it's size, which is subjective.

Personally I find the iPad too large at 9.7". Again, subjective.

Nexus 9 has double the RAM. (EDIT: the iPad may finally have 2 GB, just confirming)

Nexus 9 is significantly cheaper.

Weight is about the same (Nexus 9 slightly lighter).

Battery life should be similar.

You're basically deciding if you want iOS and a 9.7"screen vs a 8.9" screen, better specs, and Android 5.0. The iPad will be ~$100 more in base form. The Nexus 9 is certainly the more competitive device, but if you want a larger screen they can't help you. For me 8-9" is the sweet spot since I find the iPad too large and the Nexus 7 a touch small for certain things.

Apple didn't update the iPad Mini at all (even though they now call it the "3"), so it still competes with the Nexus 7 (2013). The way the Nexus 9 is sized, it's basically equal competition to the iPad Mini and iPad Air 2, it just depends what side of the fence you fall on. It's the same price as the Nexus 9 as well, which obliterates the iPad Mini 3.

If you want an iPad mini, get the 2 and save $100, the only thing you get with the 3 is a useless fingerprint sensor and some new casing colors.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I think I am going to go with a nexus 9. I had been looking for something bigger than my 7. I am guessing it will be $450 cdn probably so $100 less than the ipad. Would be nice to use the ipad as a second screen for my macbook but all my apps are bought on android already.

The WiFi and LTE Nexus 9 is $469 so I'd expect the WiFi only model to come in around $400:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/htc-htc-nexus-9-8-9-16gb-tablet-with-wi-fi-4g-with-nvidia-tegra-processor-white-99hzf001-00/10328052.aspx?path=63bd424e87eb7ad253601449fb9e9b48en02

I am going with a 16 GB black WiFi only Nexus 9 as well.

RX_EVOLV
10-16-2014, 03:20 PM
How are the apps on an Android tablet? I'm thinking about getting either the Nexus 9 or the Air 2 as well. Right now I'm using the Note 3 so I'm familiar with the Apps offered on Android but are the apps different for tablet? or is Nexus 9 just like a giant Note 3? I like some of the apps on my phone but imagine they could be a bit less efficient if it's in tablet size..

phreezee
10-16-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd go with an iPad, because Apple rules the world and is much cooler. If you are on a shitty Air Canada flight with no in-flight entertainment system, you are SOL with an Android device.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
How are the apps on an Android tablet? I'm thinking about getting either the Nexus 9 or the Air 2 as well. Right now I'm using the Note 3 so I'm familiar with the Apps offered on Android but are the apps different for tablet? or is Nexus 9 just like a giant Note 3? I like some of the apps on my phone but imagine they could be a bit less efficient if it's in tablet size..

Both have pretty much the same "core" apps. One difference being with android you have a lot more apps that let you take advantage of a system that isn't nearly as locked down as iOS. Also if you don't like a google or stock app, you can get an alternative where you often can't with Apple. Many apps will be identical as on your Note 3, with layouts changing where it makes sense given the extra real estate. Same with the iPhone/iPad.

Also, with the Nexus 9 now having the same aspect ratio and resolution as an iPad, you can bet it will be even easier for developers to have the same app on both Android and iOS.

I have yet to encounter a single app that Apple had that Android didn't have either the same, or an equal or better alternative.

schocker
10-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The WiFi and LTE Nexus 9 is $469 so I'd expect the WiFi only model to come in around $400:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/htc-htc-nexus-9-8-9-16gb-tablet-with-wi-fi-4g-with-nvidia-tegra-processor-white-99hzf001-00/10328052.aspx?path=63bd424e87eb7ad253601449fb9e9b48en02

I am going with a 16 GB black WiFi only Nexus 9 as well.
I still think that is an incorrect listing, the lte has always been 32gb only. Futureshop is also showing lte at that price. If the N6 is $750 it makes reason for it to by 450 also on the play store.

Originally posted by phreezee
I'd go with an iPad, because Apple rules the world and is much cooler. If you are on a shitty Air Canada flight with no in-flight entertainment system, you are SOL with an Android device.
But you can put your own stuff onto your android tablet...and I just bring my laptop anyways :rofl:
My macbook gets like 4 movies per charge, it is awesome.

Mitsu3000gt
10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I still think that is an incorrect listing, the lte has always been 32gb only. Futureshop is also showing lte at that price. If the N6 is $750 it makes reason for it to by 450 also on the play store.

Could be. It's all we have to go on at the moment though. $469 seems more like what it should cost with the shitty exchange for just the WiFi model, but who knows.

EK69
10-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

lol wut?
why are u SOL with android but not with ios?

:confused:

Xtrema
10-16-2014, 03:46 PM
bench racing, it's pretty much a draw.

It's about the apps you use that dictates the OS you need and which tablet to buy.

I'm disappointed at the resolution of both device, failing to break 300ppi barrier.

Xtrema
10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by EK69

lol wut?
why are u SOL with android but not with ios?

:confused:

http://www.aircanada.com/rouge/en/entertainment.html

This is why. The future will suck when the loyalty to the OS dictates what services or products you can buy.

But they will include Android in the future but probably not for awhile. Most airlines are going this route by saving weight and cost of seat back entertainment system. But since they also don't provide charging solutions, PC and Macs laptop won't last any transatlantic trip.

Stealth22
10-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

http://www.aircanada.com/rouge/en/entertainment.html

This is why. The future will suck when the loyalty to the OS dictates what services or products you can buy.

But they will include Android in the future but probably not for awhile. Most airlines are going this route by saving weight and cost of seat back entertainment system. But since they also don't provide charging solutions, PC and Macs laptop won't last any transatlantic trip.
I don't care for Air Canada's shitty selection anyway. :dunno:

Strider
10-17-2014, 09:13 AM
I'll probably end up with the Nexus 9 because I have a chromecast and a few paid apps.
Apple products always seem to have better design and fit & finish though. 6mm thickness :drool:

What time do preorders start?

RX_EVOLV
10-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Did some research last night and I think I'm going with the Nexus 9. The Air 2 will probably feel more luxurious but I can't justify the price difference just for that.

bulaian
10-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I'll probably end up with the Nexus 9 because I have a chromecast and a few paid apps.
Apple products always seem to have better design and fit & finish though. 6mm thickness :drool:

What time do preorders start?

Depending on the number of paid apps and frequency of use, the Nexus 9 might be the way to go....

but Chromecast also works on iOS devices.

supe
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
This is a dumb thread. This really comes down to whether you want iOS or android. Personally I'm in the android camp, but apple still makes a good product, you can't really go wrong as long as you know what you're getting into.

I'm in for the nexus as well, am I correct in seeing that there is no wifi only version?

Mitsu3000gt
10-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by supe
This is a dumb thread. This really comes down to whether you want iOS or android. Personally I'm in the android camp, but apple still makes a good product, you can't really go wrong as long as you know what you're getting into.

I'm in for the nexus as well, am I correct in seeing that there is no wifi only version?

There definitely is, the ads FS and BB posted are wrong. They even pulled the preorders from their websites. WiFi only pricing hasn't been officially released yet.

The 16GB is WiFi only and the 32GB will come in both configurations.

Strider
10-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by bulaian

Depending on the number of paid apps and frequency of use, the Nexus 9 might be the way to go....

but Chromecast also works on iOS devices.

Cool, I didn't realize that.

I'm not very heavily invested into apps for android... maybe $10 or $20 max. Just ordered the iPad to give it a shot.

Dren
10-17-2014, 10:55 AM
From reading reviews..i would go with the Nexus 9.

Strider
10-23-2014, 08:28 AM
http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/gallery/10856-3294-PadAir2vsNexus9-l.png

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/21/apples-new-a8x-powered-ipad-air-2-smokes-new-android-tablets-including-nvidias-tegra-k1

Phl0xed
10-23-2014, 01:03 PM
I won't be purchasing either. I have an iPad Air 1, and absolutely love the thing. Used to have a Nexus 7 too, but gave it away to a family member as I didn't get much usage out of it anymore. Loved both. I can't imagine having a tablet that performs much better than my Air 1, what are the real differences between the Air 1 and 2?

heavyD
10-23-2014, 02:23 PM
http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/gallery/10856-3294-PadAir2vsNexus9-l.png

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/21/apples-new-a8x-powered-ipad-air-2-smokes-new-android-tablets-including-nvidias-tegra-k1

Wow almost 35% faster. There you go fanboys. The extra money gets you considerably faster performance it that matters to you lol. I personally think that it's only for nerds but Android fans always use that in phone comparisons.:nut:

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Wow almost 35% faster. There you go fanboys. The extra money gets you considerably faster performance it that matters to you lol. I personally think that it's only for nerds but Android fans always use that in phone comparisons.:nut:

A single benchmark type never tells the full story. There are other benchmarks that the Shield Tablet (similar to N9) beats the iPadAir2 by ~50%. Both excel at different benchmarks, usually. That's been the case almost every year. Also, brand aside, the app/game has to be written to best take advantage of the hardware, otherwise it's all for nothing. For example Apple uses the "Metal" framework. The devices will always score higher than the other in certain areas on different benchmark tests depending on how well they are optimized for the particular device. For example the iPadAir2's 3D mark scores (a real world gaming performance test) are embarrassingly low, but it excels in other areas.

It also looks like the thin-ness cost users some very significant battery life, which is disappointing (usually they at least try to keep it the same).

Once the response is literally instant for pretty well everything (which it appears to be based on the videos I've seen this far), it could be a million times faster that it wouldn't matter. 99% of apps just aren't that taxing, for phones either. The gamers will notice most of the gains (I can't comment on that I don't play any tablet games whatsoever). My personal criteria is instant response for general tasks, not too big, and the best screen I can get, so there are a number of tablets that would fit the bill for me.

The big takeaway here is that it's pretty awesome to have your pick of tablets that have performance in different areas roughly equal to that of a PS3, XBOX 360, last year's Macbook Air or a 2012 Macbook Pro. Something for everyone.

Strider
10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

The one and only reason I posted that was to troll the android statisticians because I've seen geekbench come up a couple times in favour of the Androids.

Personally, I couldn't care less. As long as it doesn't lag as I'm surfing or writing an email, I'm happy. I don't even know what uses there are for a tablet that require a lot of processing power.

My iPad will be here Monday, but I'm probably ~50/50 on returning it for a Nexus 9.

Xtrema
10-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Both platform has peaked. Much like PC was 10 years ago. More processing power won't mean much to most people. People who don't play games won't care. It's all about form, function, apps and the camera.

EK69
10-23-2014, 10:36 PM
I think like others in that mobile devices have crazy fast processing capabilities and now it's all about what the devices look like, user interface tweaks, and functionality in that sense..

IPads will kill androids in certain benchmarks
Androids will kill iPads in certain benchmarks

I personally only care about not having lag while doing shit on it lol :nut: and which user interface etc works for me

kaput
10-24-2014, 10:13 PM

BigMass
10-25-2014, 08:42 AM
if you're not gaming, the power of these new chips like the K1 and 805 aren't going to be as impressive and important to you. Eventually when devices like these replace laptops/desktops in another 3-5 years, the evolution of these chips will be far more important and noticeable.

Seth1968
10-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Both platform has peaked. Much like PC was 10 years ago. More processing power won't mean much to most people. People who don't play games won't care. It's all about form, function, apps and the camera.

This.

It's true for computers as well. For 99% of end users, the type of processor and amount of ram is irrelevant to the performance they need it for.

BigMass
10-25-2014, 11:48 AM
if they could only figure out how to get a larger screen size in a smaller package.

Seth1968
10-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Check out these concept phones:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/30-futuristic-phones-we-wish-were-real/

BigMass
10-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Check out these concept phones:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/30-futuristic-phones-we-wish-were-real/

folding phone will probably the most practical and realistic in the near future. 4.5" display folded out into 9" would be pretty awesome. Now, something like this would be pretty insane

http://www.newhitechgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/kyocera_lexible.jpg

One of the biggest problems is probably the pathetic evolution in battery technology that's holding a lot of this stuff back. Plus, would be nice to finally move beyond silicon in chip manufacturing.

Strider
11-03-2014, 02:51 PM
What's the shipping status for those who preordered the N9 on release day?