PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used car in Ontario - HST?

EM2FTL
10-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Does anyone have experience with buying a used car from a private seller in Ontario? I've been googling but can't figure out whether or not I would have to pay taxes on the car in this case - can only find rules relating to used car dealers, which clearly state I would have to pay the HST despite being from out of province, and taking the car back to Alberta.

Tik-Tok
10-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Technically, you're supposed to pay RST on it, but Ontario residents pay the tax when they register the car in Ontario... since you aren't registering it there, I doubt Alberta will be collects RST on their behalf.

Fly Fishin'
10-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Don't do it! They are all full of cancer. Ontario/Quebec is where 80% of Automaxx cars come from. Interior bolt will already be showing rust by 2 years in and they don't get wet.

EM2FTL
10-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I hear this, but doesn't that only apply if winter driven? Owner claims never winter driven, its a 2009 with 52,000kms.

EM2FTL
10-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Technically, you're supposed to pay RST on it, but Ontario residents pay the tax when they register the car in Ontario... since you aren't registering it there, I doubt Alberta will be collects RST on their behalf.

That's similar to what i'm gathering on this as well.. I don't see AB performing that service either.

Fly Fishin'
10-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL
I hear this, but doesn't that only apply if winter driven? Owner claims never winter driven, its a 2009 with 52,000kms.

Nope. Humidity plays a large roll in it during the summer and in a garage during the winter. Check the car out first and look under carpets or under the shift boot. Then look at any and all exposed metal on the unit.

Hallowed_point
10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Regardless of winter driving or not, avoid. The relative humidity in that province combined with residual salt on the roads in the spring = rust paradise.

EM2FTL
10-16-2014, 05:50 PM
This is sad news. Will I get trustworthy/relevant info from a rust inspection? It's going to a dealer tomorrow for scheduled service and I've asked for that, owner says he'll get it done. Being a dealer they would have ever incentive to point it out to the owner since they offer services to prevent, no?

bourge73
10-16-2014, 05:59 PM
I grew up and lived in Ontario for half my life
And never would I buy a car from there or QC
Never. When you go to sell? Either will anyone else ..,

Fly Fishin'
10-16-2014, 06:49 PM
No dude there is already rust in it. 1+1 will always equal 2. From Lada's to Ferrari if there is anything metal in the car it will have enough rust started to give you a head ache. Even the stereo deck frame will have it.

Fly Fishin'
10-16-2014, 06:55 PM
But I got to ask what car and how much? You still might have a chance to flip it for quick cash with the Calgary market.....just don't say anything about it.

Fly Fishin'
10-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Oops double post

ddduke
10-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
I grew up and lived in Ontario for half my life
And never would I buy a car from there or QC
Never. When you go to sell? Either will anyone else ..,

Not trying to argue whether they're shitty car or not but selling it will not be a problem at all.

In the last 10 years I've sold over 30 cars and even more motorcycles, it's incredibly rare for anyone to check if it's from out east.

heavyD
10-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Not trying to argue whether they're shitty car or not but selling it will not be a problem at all.

In the last 10 years I've sold over 30 cars and even more motorcycles, it's incredibly rare for anyone to check if it's from out east.

It all depends on the type of car and the education level of the typical buyer. If it's a Civic you will have no issues moving it but if it's a specific sporty car buyers may be weary of it being an eastern car. I wouldn't touch an eastern car unless it was heavily discounted and even at that I would probably pass if I intended on keeping it for myself.

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Depends on the car, what weather it was driven in etc. Fly fishin makes some valid points but he's wrong on a few as well.

What's wrong with buying a sports car from out east that never saw winter?:dunno:

Fly Fishin'
10-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Well as an ex Ottawa and London resident I would only buy it to flip it. There may not be rust showing but I guarantee 200% that rust is in there....dormant cancer cells in the body are still cancer cells.

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
Well as an ex Ottawa and London resident I would only buy it to flip it. There may not be rust showing but I guarantee 200% that rust is in there....dormant cancer cells in the body are still cancer cells.

I've bought a Porsche and a Ferrari out of Toronto, both have been flawless and by flawless I mean no rust on the rotors, no rust on untreated hardware, no signs of rust anywhere.

EM2FTL
10-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I've bought a Porsche and a Ferrari out of Toronto, both have been flawless and by flawless I mean no rust on the rotors, no rust on untreated hardware, no signs of rust anywhere.

Good to hear - car is in for an inspection today. Just noticed your sig - Does Gary Moe have a line on any 09-11 R3s? :D

Fly Fishin'
10-17-2014, 11:37 AM

Well to be fully honest I have not picked through a Ferrari from Ontario.

SkiBum5.0
10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Ya the rust comments are fear mongering. I'm on my second ON-bought sports car and there is no rust anywhere. I'd give a daily driver some extra care and inspection but if it's a garage stored and not winter driven you'll be fine.

Edit: to address the op's question. If it's a dealer yes they will ask you to pay HST then you have to submit some paperwork to get the refund. When I bought mine I didn't pay HST but I gave the dealer a deposit on my CC in he amount of the HST. Once I registered it in AB the dealer refunded it.

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Good to hear - car is in for an inspection today. Just noticed your sig - Does Gary Moe have a line on any 09-11 R3s? :D

I can always find you a car, the euros are a tough sell up here in Red Deer so I don't have anything in stock. :) I've had a q7 sit here for months with no action on it.

mr2mike
10-17-2014, 12:38 PM
I believe you pay the HST, you then apply to get it back and prove your Alberta residency.

EM2FTL
10-17-2014, 02:44 PM
^^thanks for the info Skibum!

I can always find you a car, the euros are a tough sell up here in Red Deer so I don't have anything in stock. :) I've had a q7 sit here for months with no action on it.

Oh haha, not a euro - referring to the somewhat rare RX8 R3 built from 09 to 11. Let me know if you have a line on any that are closer to home!

ddduke
10-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

It all depends on the type of car and the education level of the typical buyer. If it's a Civic you will have no issues moving it but if it's a specific sporty car buyers may be weary of it being an eastern car. I wouldn't touch an eastern car unless it was heavily discounted and even at that I would probably pass if I intended on keeping it for myself.

Very true, for most daily drivers people don't do much more then basic checks. Once the car get newer and more expensive that's when people start checking for liens and carproofing, but even then it's relatively rare in my experience.

Also, people are wary, not weary.

Originally posted by mr2mike
I believe you pay the HST, you then apply to get it back and prove your Alberta residency.

If the dealer's easy going you can also just show proof of Alberta residency and they'll knock it off for you. I'm working on a deal on a Corvette right now that they're willing to do that on.