PDA

View Full Version : University of Athabasca

bikrbabe
03-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Do any of you know how good the courses are? Or how companies regard their bachelor programs?

BloNdie
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
First do a search, there are a couple threads on this.

It is reconized, but probably not as much as a degree from ex- U of C, depends what you want to get into I guess. You might want to just start out at Athabasca and go from there (check if the courses are transferable). I've talked to tons of people about this, and basically they tell me if it is at all possible to go to a uni full time, in class, it would be best. Otherwise, athabasca will be okay. But I wouldnt expect to become some big wig off just that. Also, like I mentioned, depending on what you want to get into, its about more then just your degree, but how you use that knowledge. :thumbsup:

davidI
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
It seems like all the people I know who got kicked out of the U of C went to Athabasca so I dont' know how highly the degrees would be looked upon :confused:

BloNdie
03-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Exactly...they don't check you're grades or anything there, all you need to get in is a hs diploma, so thats not really that impressive. It not much cheaper then the U of C either, so you're paying basically the same amount for a degree that is worth so much less. I say stick to the more reconized institutions if you can

SJC
03-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Obviously everyone has their own opinion on this, but personally I left UofC after being there for 2 years in favor of athabasca! I got the opinions of several people whom I respect greatly (several of which hire for large corporations) and the results were surprising - Two of the people said that a degree is a degree regardless of where it's from (excluding ivy league schools) and two said they would actually prefer an athabasca graduate as it shows a level of self motivation and dedication that they look for. :)

I'm doing my first 3 courses with Athabasca now, and a word of caution however: 1) The profs are at LEAST as critical of your work as UofC, probably more, and 2) It's very easy to procrastinate with no formal deadlines...

Keep this in mind and you should be fine! :thumbsup:

RiCE-DaDDy
03-06-2004, 01:45 AM
From what Ive heard, Athabasca is not a bad choice

Shaolin
03-06-2004, 03:17 AM
the courses are simple to do an undergrad with... i needed some accounting courses to finish my bcomm, and that was definitely the place to go.. easy marks, easy test.

20incheyes
03-06-2004, 12:32 PM
AU is great, I mean you can actually be a baller while still in school. cheers to AU!!!!! Two friends who graduated with AU accounting degrees got jobs in the US making over $50K's while I have about 10 firends from the UC who are far from $50K US.

RiCE-DaDDy
03-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes
AU is great, I mean you can actually be a baller while still in school. cheers to AU!!!!! Two friends who graduated with AU accounting degrees got jobs in the US making over $50K's while I have about 10 firends from the UC who are far from $50K US.

I bet most ppl in UC still gettin the better jobs and makin more $$

20incheyes
03-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

I bet most ppl in UC still gettin the better jobs and makin more $$

I'm postivie you're right but I went to 4 unis myself (U of C included) and thought that was the worst U I went to by far. I also went to McGill, UVIC and at the UC the profs and overall quality of the education and availablity was just mind boggling. I have quiote a few firends who have MBA's from UC and are sitting ducks waiting for any job offers

bikrbabe
03-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Well, what I was thinking of was getting my BSc. majoring in geology... The only thing is, I just wonder how good AU's program is. I heard U of C has one of the best programs around for that, but I just don't have the time... I went to Bishop Carroll for my high school, so I'm already used to the whole correspondance idea. I just don't want to waste my time on something that won't get me a good job.

sin
03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
I used to live in athabasca (hell hole town) but the university is one of the biggest draws to the town, and from what i know its more respected than most people would expect